PDA

View Full Version : Ben on 3rd and 5. Bad decision!

Steelhere10
02-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Just watched the replay, and he had Mewelde More in the middle of the field for 15yds easily. But he decided to go for the long ball to Wallace.

Steelgal
02-07-2011, 12:12 AM
that's Ben, always has been. Prefers the long ball instead of short yardage plays. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.....

steelblood
02-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Yeah, that last drive was ugly.

brothervad
02-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Another option was either Heath or Spaeth can't tell underneath of Wallace. It would've been the better choice as well because he was open and heading out of bounds if the reception was made.

It would've been at around mid-field with 51 seconds left.

Oh well...no used crying over spilt milk.

brothervad

brothervad
02-07-2011, 12:54 AM
on second look...it appears #24 was a lot tighter and then moved off of Heath when the pass was released to Wallace.

wishful thinking on my part I guess... :(

brothervad

Crash
02-07-2011, 12:57 AM
Moore was a delayed route out of the backfield.

But now that you mention it, once Sanders got injured was Moore EVER lined up in the slot once tonight? Moore and Ben have made several big plays over the years when Mewelde is in the slot.

I still have no idea what the game plan was in that first 15 minutes on offense.

feltdizz
02-07-2011, 12:57 AM
Another option was either Heath or Spaeth can't tell underneath of Wallace. It would've been the better choice as well because he was open and heading out of bounds if the reception was made.

It would've been at around mid-field with 51 seconds left.

Oh well...no used crying over spilt milk.

brothervad

:Agree

Ben had a bad game...

NJ-STEELER
02-07-2011, 03:22 AM
thats why the penalty by fox hurt.

we needed to get a chunk of yards eventually with only 1 chance to stop the clock. 65-70 is a lot better then 85-90

Mister Pittsburgh
02-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Ben 'doesn't see' the wide open shorter routes all that often. He likes to pass up a sure first down for the homerun. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

I rewatched the Jets game a few times prior to the Superbowl and there was one third down where Ben scrambles to pick it up....prob around 10 yard scramble....and he dives to get it. On that play you can see Hines freaking wide open right down the middle right before Ben begins to run. I swear he has blind spots.

flippy
02-07-2011, 10:03 AM
That entire final drive was f'd up. I was so happy to have the ball in Ben's hands in the last 2 minutes with a chance. But there was so much confusion on the plays. Ben should have called a timeout on 2nd down to settle everything down.

If only we hadn't used 2 time outs already.

And I was surprised Ben went to Wallace 2x when he was clearly the most confused guy on the field.

Ben took all the blame on the loss (classy as usual). But he had us in a position to win in the end and didn't seem to be the one totally overwhelmed and confused on that final drive.

drprwnap
02-07-2011, 10:53 AM
That entire final drive was f'd up. I was so happy to have the ball in Ben's hands in the last 2 minutes with a chance. But there was so much confusion on the plays. Ben should have called a timeout on 2nd down to settle everything down.

If only we hadn't used 2 time outs already.

And I was surprised Ben went to Wallace 2x when he was clearly the most confused guy on the field.

Ben took all the blame on the loss (classy as usual). But he had us in a position to win in the end and didn't seem to be the one totally overwhelmed and confused on that final drive.

You're correct, Flip. No one was on the same page on the final drive. It was ugly.

brothervad
02-07-2011, 03:13 PM
And there in lies the problem with being down to 1 timeout. I understand that they are precious, but I bet if they have 2 timeouts remaining...Ben uses 1 to get the guys on the same page.

IMO, they needed to use that final timeout to get things together.

granted it hurts you not to have it, but if you get to a 3rd and 5 with approx 1 minutes remaining and things are chaotic you need to get folks on the same page.

It would've been better to have used it and had none than not using it at all which is what happened.

brothervad

aggiebones
02-07-2011, 03:30 PM
And the return (marred by the penalty), should have been Redman running straight ahead for 10 and jumping on the ground. That would have saved the 2 min warning. He ran laterally and they held him up for 3-4 seconds. The upmen should have been coached to run straight and get down quickly. Then we have at least 1 free play before the 2 minute warning. That's like a free TO where you can use any place on the field for 1 play or even run the ball for 5 yards. Not like Redman was gonna run through everyone for 30 yards. Ugh, just 1 of many plays I guess.

Eich
02-07-2011, 03:49 PM
And there in lies the problem with being down to 1 timeout. I understand that they are precious, but I bet if they have 2 timeouts remaining...Ben uses 1 to get the guys on the same page.

However, they should NOT have needed a timeout to get on the same page. They had an entire season to practice the 2 minute drill. They had the time on the sidelines, while the defense was busy holding GB to a FG to get on the same page regarding the upcoming 2 min. drill. They had the change of possession time to get on the same page.

There was no reason for the offense to come out on the field looking so confused. I'm not sure who deserves most of the blame but it was a mess.

brothervad
02-07-2011, 04:17 PM

However, they should NOT have needed a timeout to get on the same page. They had an entire season to practice the 2 minute drill. They had the time on the sidelines, while the defense was busy holding GB to a FG to get on the same page regarding the upcoming 2 min. drill. They had the change of possession time to get on the same page.

There was no reason for the offense to come out on the field looking so confused. I'm not sure who deserves most of the blame but it was a mess.

Understood and don't disagree...but if you see it occuring out there regardless of what should or should not be happening this late in the year...I think you need to call the T.O. and settle it out.

There is no second chance...It was obvious Ben was looking at #17 as his new Tone. Him being discombobulated was problematic.

You have not tomorrow...don't let the timeout go unused. IMO it was the right time to use it.

Just sayin...

brothervad