PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay, New England, New Orleans....

Dee Dub
02-06-2011, 11:57 PM
those are the type of teams the Steelers defense cannot stop. They spread the 3-4 out, nuetralize their blitz, and attack the middle of the field. LeBeau cannot adjust because he is limited by his personnel. The secondary he has cannot cover nor or they physical enough to jam or disrupte routes off the line of scrimmage.

Keeping Troy deep is necessary when the free safety is a liability in coverage. This hurts the Steelers defense becuase Troy, as strong safety, is need elsewhere.

I believe the biggest need on this team is not O-line. It's help in the secondary.

I am hoping they draft UCLA free safety Rahim Moore.

birtikidis
02-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Ugh, over reaction imo. turning the ball over 3 times and giving up a pick 6 was why we lost, not because how awesome their offense was... they threw the ball like 45 times, they should put up passing yardage, but we didn't lose the game on defense.

Crash
02-07-2011, 12:00 AM
The Jets get pressure on those offense's. We never seem able to.

Our "scheme" on defense is Woodley and Harrison.

When they get stopped? We have no shot with DBs 10 yards off the ball.

Jeff Fisher was in the Rooney suite tonight, if LeBeau retires maybe they should offer him the job.

SidSmythe
02-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Green Bay simply won this game b/c of TURNOVERS

Having a crappy secondary doesn't help.

papillon
02-07-2011, 12:01 AM
those are the type of teams the Steelers defense cannot stop. They spread the 3-4 out, nuetralize their blitz, and attack the middle of the field. LeBeau cannot adjust because he is limited by his personnel. The secondary he has cannot cover nor or they physical enough to jam or disrupte routes off the line of scrimmage.

Keeping Troy deep is necessary when the free safety is a liability in coverage. This hurts the Steelers defense becuase Troy, as strong safety, is need elsewhere.

I believe the biggest need on this team is not O-line. It's help in the secondary.

I am hoping they draft UCLA free safety Rahim Moore.

Troy was a step late or out of position a lot tonight. He's not immune to making bad plays and he had a quite a few tonight (by his standards) or he was covering other blunders. Either way, Troy was nullified by Green Bay.

Pappy

pfelix73
02-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Yea, the TO's is what did us in.. plain and simple..

We do need another CB though.. Said so for 3 years now. Whether it's via FA or 1st/2nd round draft pick.

:tt1

Dee Dub
02-07-2011, 12:02 AM
The Jets get pressure on those offense's.

Yeah because they have the best corner in the game. It helps their pass rush.

Sonny
02-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Pretty much. In this passing league we are in, i'd much rather be a "stop the pass at all costs" team, than a "stop the run at all costs" team. That legendary run stuffing really helped this game. Packers and Saints have/had very weak run D's the last two years, and they are champs, why? Their quarterbacks were on the money.

McCarthy said "I have a championship QB and i'm going to use him". Why can't we do the same? That Mendy fumble, ok it wasn't a bad call, but I, EVERYONE, knew that they were going to run right there after an 8 yard gain on the play before on 1st down. How about some playaction and take a shot at the endzone?

I really would like to see Arians gone and this become "Ben's team". More passes on 1st and 2nd downs, maybe throw in a pass AFTER a good run. They ALWAYS run after a good run, if I know it, i'm sure the D does, too.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-07-2011, 12:04 AM
I agree that we need secondary help. But it's not all personnel. It's schemes and adjustments, too. If you give Aaron Rodgers the time we gave him to throw, he's going to find receivers, even if you have four all-pros back there.

Dee Dub
02-07-2011, 12:06 AM
I agree the turnovers killed the Steelers but come on guys lets get honetst here..the Steelers couldnt stop Rogers and his receivers. And it would have been a lot worse had his receivers not dropped as many passes as they did.

And it was the same thing versus Drew Brees and Tom Brady.

The secondary of the Steelers is by far their biggest weakness. It is causing LeBeau to not be able to use his biggest weapon....Troy Polamalu.

Crash
02-07-2011, 12:08 AM
The Jets get pressure on those offense's.

Yeah because they have the best corner in the game. It helps their pass rush.

But all we do is "delay" blitz. By the time the DB gets there the bal is gone.

Revis has no bearing how how Rex Ryan has people blitzing. They hardly ever delay blitz from 10 yards back. They come right down your throat and dare you to block them.

aggiebones
02-07-2011, 12:08 AM
Eh, they 21 pts off turnovers. They weren't 'super'
We were both pedestrian.
Don't over react.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Eh, they 21 pts off turnovers. They weren't 'super'
We were both pedestrian.
Don't over react.

If we don't turn the ball over three times, we win.

On the other hand, if we play a little better defense, we win. I wish we could sign Asomugha, but we won't give up the $$$$$ to do that. Hope we hit the jackpot on all of our draft picks.

papillon
02-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Pretty much. In this passing league we are in, i'd much rather be a "stop the pass at all costs" team, than a "stop the run at all costs" team. That legendary run stuffing really helped this game. Packers and Saints have/had very weak run D's the last two years, and they are champs, why? Their quarterbacks were on the money.

McCarthy said "I have a championship QB and i'm going to use him". Why can't we do the same? That Mendy fumble, ok it wasn't a bad call, but I, EVERYONE, knew that they were going to run right there after an 8 yard gain on the play before on 1st down. How about some playaction and take a shot at the endzone?

I really would like to see Arians gone and this become "Ben's team". More passes on 1st and 2nd downs, maybe throw in a pass AFTER a good run. They ALWAYS run after a good run, if I know it, i'm sure the D does, too.

You know I thought the same thing, but after thinking about the way the game was playing out, I think Arians wanted to try and use clock and get points. I can't blame him for that, the defense definitely wasn't up to par tonight.

So, I don't really have a problem the call, Matthews made a great play with the hit.

Pappy

DukieBoy
02-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Troy's been playing on 1.5 achilles, I think. He's been courageous and given us the best that he is able to give.

steelblood
02-07-2011, 12:44 AM
I agree the turnovers killed the Steelers but come on guys lets get honetst here..the Steelers couldnt stop Rogers and his receivers. And it would have been a lot worse had his receivers not dropped as many passes as they did.

And it was the same thing versus Drew Brees and Tom Brady.

The secondary of the Steelers is by far their biggest weakness. It is causing LeBeau to not be able to use his biggest weapon....Troy Polamalu.

yes our draft/FA priorities will be

1. Corner
2. FS
3. O-line
4. Pass rush

We have enough to stop the run. This is a passing league. We must take back the middle of the field.

I give Lebeau credit though. He did let his corners play more bump and run in this game. McFadden is a terrible CB. What happened to him? Gay and Clark aren't much better against the pass.

We need to franchise Ike or sign him to a short contract. And then find a way to upgrade this secondary and find more pass rushers.

Steel Life
02-07-2011, 01:52 AM
But all we do is "delay" blitz. By the time the DB gets there the ball is gone.
$$$...if you don't get there then there are huge holes in the middle - which cost us big in this game & against the Cards.

NJ-STEELER
02-07-2011, 03:09 AM
i feel bad for the front 7

likely the best in the league and the secondary without troy is probably among the worst

freakin guys dont even know how to turn around to play the ball when it coming

flippy
02-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Convince Lebeau to retire and throw some money Mangini's way to get him to fix our D.

He built a D in NY and Cleveland to beat these teams.

We need cover corners to unleash Timmons and Worldis on the blitz and allow Troy to play in the box.

I hate to say it, but we need to groom some youngsters to replace Casey, Farrior, Clark, and BMac right away.

And we should consider letting Ike and Woodley go and give the money we'd have paid both of these guys to Asomugha.

MaxAMillion
02-07-2011, 10:07 AM
I don't see how you can blame it on adjustments. The Packers basically threw the ball every play. Labeau threw all sorts of different blitzes and coverages at Rodgers. He just happned to be red hot. Some of those throws were picture perfect (even when the DB had good coverage). Sometimes you have to give the other team credit.

The reason the Steelers lost was because of turnovers and mediocre play from the QB. Do you think Capers called a great game? I thought it was crazy to have Matthews spying most of the game rather than rushing the passer.

I didn't get the sense that Capers did anything special. He was fortunate to go against a passing offense that was not close to being as good as the Green Bay passing offense.

AngryAsian
02-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Convince Lebeau to retire and throw some money Mangini's way to get him to fix our D.

We need cover corners to unleash Timmons and Worldis on the blitz and allow Troy to play in the box.

I hate to say it, but we need to groom some youngsters to replace Casey, Farrior, Clark, and BMac right away.

And we should consider letting Ike and Woodley go and give the money we'd have paid both of these guys to Asomugha.

I can't see us letting Woodley and Ike go. Just don't see it happening.

flippy
02-07-2011, 01:42 PM

I can't see us letting Woodley and Ike go. Just don't see it happening.

I don't either. And both of these guys are solid contributers. But if we can't get shutdown coverage or constant pass rush, wouldn't it be better to replace them with someone who could shutdown half the field or a guy who can get constant pressure?

spyboots
02-07-2011, 01:44 PM
When teams spread us out, it takes Troy out of the big plays since he has to play back. That's one of the reasons they do it; to take him out of the play.

And the opposition throws Gay's way.