PDA

View Full Version : Trade Ben!!!

eniparadoxgma
02-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Yeah, not really. I'm just screwing with the inevitable overreactions and hyperbole that is sure to run amok in the next few days.

People have crappy days. Ben had a crappy day.

Still wouldn't want any other QB. Period.

Crash
02-06-2011, 11:38 PM
We'll see how the Yinzers treat Ben. We've never been in this situation with a QB who looses a SB and then stays, O'Donnell left.

kindlecatsb'ng
02-06-2011, 11:41 PM
This is a team sport. Ben didn't lose this game alone.

Kindle

BATMAN
02-06-2011, 11:41 PM
We'll see how the Yinzers treat Ben. We've never been in this situation with a QB who looses a SB and then stays, O'Donnell left.

Wow, thats spot on dude. I wonder how the fans will handle a QB that stuck around after a Super Bowl loss ?

When Neil left I realized the guy had no character and I have no respect for the punk.

eniparadoxgma
02-06-2011, 11:44 PM
I honestly don't think everyone will turn on Ben. He's one of the biggest reasons we got to where we got. I just know that like the anti-Tomlin people that have already made up their mind, there are some people that will call this "proof" that he's not who we thought he was or something similar.

Yes, I thought he'd drive us down and win it in the last two minutes but you can't expect a QB to do that every. friggin. time.

LouSteel
02-06-2011, 11:45 PM
:Agree

1:59 left, and you need one score? I would take Ben over any other QB in the game today.

Iron Shiek
02-06-2011, 11:46 PM
BWAHEEEAAHHAHH. CUT HIM!!! HE SUCKS!!
:D Yeah, the overreaction will last about 48 hours i approximate.

Sonny
02-06-2011, 11:48 PM

1:59 left, and you need one score? I would take Ben over any other QB in the game today. ****ing if Redman just goes down, we don't get the penalty and we have a play before the 2 minute warning. I felt pretty decent right before that. After the penalty? It was over.

DukieBoy
02-06-2011, 11:53 PM
This is a team sport. Ben didn't lose this game alone.

Kindle
Obviously true. Kemo got bullrushed badly and the DL hit Ben's arm on that throw for a pick 6. The only issue with Ben on that play is to read and throw early in the route.

Ben missed Wallace for an easy TD in the 2nd half. And he threw high alot.

Costly mistakes 1st half --- Negative yards on 2nd and 6 (first drive). Motion penalty on DJohnson (2nd drive). Block in the back by Mundy (kickoff) setting us up at the 7 instead of outside the 40. Each of these were costly too. And then Mendy's fumble and Fox's stupid penalty....

papillon
02-06-2011, 11:54 PM
I honestly don't think everyone will turn on Ben. He's one of the biggest reasons we got to where we got. I just know that like the anti-Tomlin people that have already made up their mind, there are some people that will call this "proof" that he's not who we thought he was or something similar.

Yes, I thought he'd drive us down and win it in the last two minutes but you can't expect a QB to do that every. friggin. time.

The only way the Steelers were winning that game was to be in the situation they were in at the end. Ben with the ball and needing a score with two minutes to get the score. The game never quite tilted the Steelers way and all I kept hoping was for a way to put the ball in Ben's hands with time. They got that, but Ben couldn't pull it out this time, it happens.

Pappy

SidSmythe
02-06-2011, 11:55 PM
BEN SUCKS ... just CUT him!!! :moon

bostonsteeler
02-07-2011, 12:01 AM
What's amazing was the game was winnable into the 2.00!!

Ben's been a bit less of a final-minute-superman this year than in past years (08 Ben would've won this game and the Jets game IMO and a couple of others IMO). Not sure what it was..

The O calling wasnt terrible, although it couldve been better. The Oline played well.
The D really didnt play well at ALL.
But the turn overs were terrible. The first int was bad play calling, and Ben got hit.
The second one -- Wallace was mugged enroute the ball.
Mendy should've held the ball..
And the long throw to Wallace shouldve been a TD.

Shoulda woulda coulda..

eniparadoxgma
02-07-2011, 12:01 AM

The only way the Steelers were winning that game was to be in the situation they were in at the end. Ben with the ball and needing a score with two minutes to get the score. The game never quite tilted the Steelers way and all I kept hoping was for a way to put the ball in Ben's hands with time. They got that, but Ben couldn't pull it out this time, it happens.

Pappy

I agree. When we held them to the FG I looked at the clock and said to myself: "2 minutes... Ben/No huddle (No Arians)... LET'S GO!!! :tt2 ".

Oh well. Can't win 'em all (or some such nonsense). I need a beer.

fordfixer
02-07-2011, 12:12 AM

1:59 left, and you need one score? I would take Ben over any other QB in the game today.

I told my wife 1:59 left 1 time out "I like our chance's"

sd steel
02-07-2011, 12:32 AM

1:59 left, and you need one score? I would take Ben over any other QB in the game today. bad word if Redman just goes down, we don't get the penalty and we have a play before the 2 minute warning. I felt pretty decent right before that. After the penalty? It was over.

So you wanted Redman to fall down instead of returning the kick so Key Fox doesn't get an unsportsmanlike penalty after the play was over, and that would would have made the difference? Um OK, that makes sense. :shock:

steelblood
02-07-2011, 12:36 AM
How is this even a discussion? Ben had a bad game? Not really.

That first pick was on Kemo all the way. Kemo had a poor game other than his pull play. He was pushed back regularly. I thought the rest of the line played very well all things considered.

The second pick was on Ben - at least in part.

Ben did make a few poor throws, but the deep ball to Wallace was off perhaps because Wallace took the wrong angle (it appeared that Ben was indicating that).

I thought Ben played pretty well. The fans will not boo him. That is ridiculous. Ben did not flat out blow the game like O'Donnell did.

This offense can improve next year with a healthy O-line.

We must find some help in the secondary though. I can't believe Crezdon Butler couldn't get on the field this year. Madison at corner was sheer desperation. McFadden should be jettisoned ASAP. Please don't tell me he was injured. That dude got injured in like 5 games in a row. He played poorly the entire season.

Franchise Ike. Resign Wood and Colon. Draft a corner or three and maybe a FS.

spyboots
02-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Missing Pouncey and Sanders threw the game off a lot. We'll get it next year when all is healthy! Love our guys.

Plus Ben's foot and knee were hurting more than was let on.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-07-2011, 12:42 AM

1:59 left, and you need one score? I would take Ben over any other QB in the game today. bad word if Redman just goes down, we don't get the penalty and we have a play before the 2 minute warning. I felt pretty decent right before that. After the penalty? It was over.

So you wanted Redman to fall down instead of returning the kick so Key Fox doesn't get an unsportsmanlike penalty after the play was over, and that would would have made the difference? Um OK, that makes sense. :shock:

Better if Key Fox had fallen down.

feltdizz
02-07-2011, 01:02 AM
How is this even a discussion? Ben had a bad game? Not really.

That first pick was on Kemo all the way. Kemo had a poor game other than his pull play. He was pushed back regularly. I thought the rest of the line played very well all things considered.

The second pick was on Ben - at least in part.

Ben did make a few poor throws, but the deep ball to Wallace was off perhaps because Wallace took the wrong angle (it appeared that Ben was indicating that).

I thought Ben played pretty well. The fans will not boo him. That is ridiculous. Ben did not flat out blow the game like O'Donnell did.

This offense can improve next year with a healthy O-line.

We must find some help in the secondary though. I can't believe Crezdon Butler couldn't get on the field this year. Madison at corner was sheer desperation. McFadden should be jettisoned ASAP. Please don't tell me he was injured. That dude got injured in like 5 games in a row. He played poorly the entire season.

Franchise Ike. Resign Wood and Colon. Draft a corner or three and maybe a FS.

Ben had a bad game... 2 INT's and he missed high on a lot of passes.

it happens.. there is no need to go to the extreme. Ben is human and sometimes he has an off game. Unfortunately it was in the SB.

DukieBoy
02-07-2011, 01:09 AM
Ben is going to be taking shots from alot of talking heads for days, weeks, and months. No need to join into that.

OldSteelerFan
02-07-2011, 01:14 AM
He took the blame for the loss and he should have, he downright sucked. IMO he is good, but will never be great.

OldSteelerFan

feltdizz
02-07-2011, 01:14 AM
Ben is going to be taking shots from alot of talking heads for days, weeks, and months. No need to join into that.

he had a bad game... it's best we accept it instead of lying about it.

we call other QB's out when they have a bad game. We can't act like the shots aren't warranted.

feltdizz
02-07-2011, 01:16 AM
He took the blame for the loss and he should have, he downright sucked. IMO he is good, but will never be great.

OldSteelerFan

that's bull... he had a bad game, it happens.

DukieBoy
02-07-2011, 01:31 AM

we call other QB's out when they have a bad game. We can't act like the shots aren't warranted.
Agree, Dizz, he had a bad game. The shots for this bad game are warranted. For this game.

feltdizz
02-07-2011, 01:35 AM

Agree, Dizz, he had a bad game. The shots for this bad game are warranted. For this game.

sometimes people say things like the commentators are favoring one team... when in reality they are giving love tot he team who is making the plays.

Ben had a bad game... no need to lie about it.

brothervad
02-07-2011, 02:18 AM

sometimes people say things like the commentators are favoring one team... when in reality they are giving love tot he team who is making the plays.

Ben had a bad game... no need to lie about it.

With all of that said...even Steve Young...who isn't the biggest fan of Ben's said...who would you want with 1:59 left and 90 yards to go, but Ben. That's what he does.

Some times you bite the dog, sometimes the dog bites you...problem with the law of averages...eventually it will just bounce the other way.

Today it did...

brothervad

hawaiiansteel
02-07-2011, 02:23 AM
Bires: Blame line forms behind Ben

By: Mike Bires Beaver County Times
Monday February 7, 2011

ARLINGTON, Texas — It was a sad sight in the Steelers’ locker room, and no one was sadder than Ben Roethlisberger.

He single-handedly took blame after the Steelers’ “Highway to Seven” drive stalled out.

For all the great things he’s done on the football this season, it all fell apart for him Sunday night in Super Bowl XLV.

Roethlisberger’s season started with him sitting out a four-game suspension. It ended with a sorry performance against the Green Bay Packers

“I feel like I let a lot of people down,” he said after the Steelers’ 31-25 loss. “I don’t put blame on anybody but myself. I let down the city of Pittsburgh, our fans and my teammates. It’s not a good feeling.”

It’s noble that Roethlisberger took all the blame. That’s not quite true, of course. There were others to blame, too. Rashard Mendenhall lost a costly fumble in the fourth quarter. The Steelers’ secondary got scorched by Aaron Rodgers to the tune of 303 yards and three touchdowns

Nonetheless, most disappointing of all was Roethlisberger’s performance.

As great as he was in Super Bowl XLIII when he completed 21 of 30 passes including the perfect game-winner to Santonio Holmes, he was that bad against the Packers.

Roethlisberger served up two interceptions in the first half.

Nick Collins returned the first of those picks for a 37-yard touchdown in the first quarter. It was a poor, under-thrown pass that Collins intercepted with ease.

How important was that pick?

In the 45-year Super Bowl era, there have been 13 passes returned for interceptions. Team that returned them are now 11-0.

And four plays after the second Roethlisberger interception, another bad throw in the second quarter, the Packers scored again.

“You can’t put it on all on Ben,” linebacker James Farrior said. “Those interceptions came early. We still had time to pull it out.”

Near the end, the Steelers had one more chance. They got the ball back on their own 13-yard line with 1:59 left. But all Roethlisberger could do was get one first down. On the Steelers’ final three offensive plays of the season — on second-and-5, third-and-5 fourth-and-5 — Roethlisberger threw incomplete.

“When we got in the huddle (for that last possession), I told the guys, ‘I believe in you guys. We can do this,’” Roethlisberger said.

But the Steelers didn’t.

At the very end, Roethlisberger couldn’t dig out of the hole he dug for himself.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... d-ben.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2011/february/07/bires-blame-line-forms-behind-ben.html)

Sonny
02-07-2011, 02:33 AM

So you wanted Redman to fall down instead of returning the kick so Key Fox doesn't get an unsportsmanlike penalty after the play was over, and that would would have made the difference? Um OK, that makes sense. :shock: From what I remember, it took a while for him to go down, meaning, there was a guy(or guys) all over him for a few precious seconds. If he goes down without trying to fight for AN EXTRA YARD or two, we get the ball with one timeout AND the 2 minute warning, instead of just one timeout.

Crash
02-07-2011, 02:47 AM
So Redman gets blamed for Fox getting yet ANOTHER cheap penalty? He's been doing it all year.

sd steel
02-07-2011, 02:53 AM
So Redman gets blamed for Fox getting yet ANOTHER cheap penalty? He's been doing it all year.

And who cares about the 2 minute warning, we didn't run out of time.

Sonny
02-07-2011, 02:54 AM
The penalty. No. Just thought it may have been a good thing to be done with the "return" before the 2 minute warning to have an extra timeout. Another little thing. Was it Hines that made that catch for 3-4 yards, which took a good 30-35 seconds off the clock? I felt we had a decent chance with the ball at the 20 with the 2 minute warning and one timeout. Didn't work out that way. Green Bay was smart for not kicking it deep.

Steeler Shades
02-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Ben has played in three SBs. He has played poorly in two. Just more fuel for those that don't feel he is a top 5 QB. 8)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Ben had a bad game. I'm not basing that on his INTs either. He missed several throws including an easy TD. 1 Int wasn't to blame but I'm sure he could have made a better read on the other. OL played well and the running game was productive. The Steelers secondary played poorly at times but it was also Rodgers throwing the ball.

After all the Turnovers and some bad secondary play...Remember on thing. The Steelers got the ball back at the 2 minute warning with one TO and a chance to win. And Didn't!!! So blame one side of the ball or credit the other team? How about first...credit the Packers. They did nothing to lose the game. And that deserves credit. On the other side...The Steelers did nothing to win the game & everything to lose the game. Was it the O or D? You can say both and weigh heavier on the O side because of the turnovers. Give credit where it is due. Great job Pack. They put in a good days work and the Steelers were late, some went home early, and some called off.

Steelgal
02-07-2011, 10:25 AM
If Ben truly wants to take his game to the next level, he needs to realize that playing his version of 'playground football' isn't good enough to get it done consistently. Yes, he's made amazing plays over the years, that have gotton us to SBs and helped us win. But last night watching Ben versus Rodgers was to me a perfect example of why Ben needs to put in more film time and study.

Rodgers looked like the SB veteren QB last night, instead of Ben. Ben has amazing escapability skills and it's done him well over the years. But he has to know when to throw it away and when to take the checkdowns. There were several plays when he had someone over the middle for 4-5 yards open, but he chose to wait for Wallace or someone else to get open deep. He needs to start taking what the defense gives him. It should also help to prolong his career by taking less sacks.

I love Ben and his style of play. But he's got to grow up and realize his athletic skills aren't enough to consistently get it done.

spyboots
02-07-2011, 01:36 PM
He also reaggravated the foot and hurt his knee and played through it.

Iron Shiek
02-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Ben had a bad game. I'm not basing that on his INTs either. He missed several throws including an easy TD. 1 Int wasn't to blame but I'm sure he could have made a better read on the other. OL played well and the running game was productive. The Steelers secondary played poorly at times but it was also Rodgers throwing the ball.

After all the Turnovers and some bad secondary play...Remember on thing. The Steelers got the ball back at the 2 minute warning with one TO and a chance to win. And Didn't!!! So blame one side of the ball or credit the other team? How about first...credit the Packers. They did nothing to lose the game. And that deserves credit. On the other side...The Steelers did nothing to win the game & everything to lose the game. Was it the O or D? You can say both and weigh heavier on the O side because of the turnovers. Give credit where it is due. Great job Pack. They put in a good days work and the Steelers were late, some went home early, and some called off.

Perfectly sums up my feelings. Packers deserve the credit. Trying to point to one specific thing/area to pin the loss on is tough. This was probably the epitomy of a team loss. From Ben's erratic throws, Mendy fumble, ST's (mainly Fox and Mundy) not being disciplined, Suisham (even though it was long, 52 in a dome HAS to be well within a FG kickers range), to the Secondary problems, did Troy even play? List goes on...bunch of areas all had contributions. Miracle that we only lost by a FG and had chances to take lead/tie.

papillon
02-07-2011, 01:44 PM

Logic in excess right here. The Steelers did nothing to win the game and the Packers did nothing to lose the game and it came down to one drive for the trophy.

All things considered, it's surprising they even had that chance.

Pappy

Iron Shiek
02-07-2011, 01:44 PM

Perfectly sums up my feelings. Packers deserve the credit. Trying to point to one specific thing/area to pin the loss on is tough. This was probably the epitomy of a team loss. From Ben's erratic throws, Mendy fumble, ST's (mainly Fox and Mundy) not being disciplined, Suisham (even though it was long, 52 in a dome HAS to be well within a FG kickers range), to the Secondary problems, did Troy even play? List goes on...bunch of areas all had contributions. Miracle that we only lost by a FG and had chances to take lead/tie.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
02-07-2011, 01:46 PM

Ben is OUR QB good days and bad, he is still the ONE!!! He will come back hungrier than ever! Next year we beat NE to go to the bowl and beat the Packers in a rematch!

Crash
02-07-2011, 02:05 PM
But he's got to grow up and realize his athletic skills aren't enough to consistently get it done.

So he's not consistent? Consistency is all Ben has been since he got here. Consistently wins, consistently produces, consistently wins in the playoffs.

What do you want? Philip Rivers and his 4-3 playoff record while getting to play in the AFC West? Drew Brees and his nice stats, but you won't win (or make) the playoffs on a consistent basis?

Peyton Manning who gags more than a $5 hooker in key moments?

Says here that once Ben is gone, people will finally realize just how good he is.

NJ-STEELER
02-07-2011, 11:39 PM
this is the reason when your offense struggles for years you dont trade away its top receiver.

as soon as it looks as though our offense is going to improve (hines,holmes, wally) we trade away a key ingredient for nothing.

those expecting improvement weren't living in reality

feltdizz
02-08-2011, 09:44 AM
this is the reason when your offense struggles for years you dont trade away its top receiver.

as soon as it looks as though our offense is going to improve (hines,holmes, wally) we trade away a key ingredient for nothing.

those expecting improvement weren't living in reality

:Agree I don't think Holmes is asking what the play is or what to do on that last drive.

We looked awful on that last drive.

frankthetank1
02-08-2011, 10:23 AM

Wow, thats spot on dude. I wonder how the fans will handle a QB that stuck around after a Super Bowl loss ?

When Neil left I realized the guy had no character and I have no respect for the punk.

i was happy for neil when he left. i didnt want him on the steelers and he got huge money from the jets even though he was an average qb at best. i was shocked the jets paid him so much. who would turn that down?