PDA

View Full Version : So our two weeks of prep work

Crash
02-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Was to come out throwing with our multiple TE sets?

I won't even talk about the defensive scheme. Yeah let's delay blitz all day with DBs 10 yards away from Rodgers. Maybe they will sack him.

Very disappointing way to lose. I can see losing but that first quarter was chickensh*t.

Keyron Fox? Go the f*ck home, you've been taking cheap after whistle penalties all fu*king season. You don't take that penalty. You just can't.

When you give away 15 minutes of football with tight ends on the field? You lose.

Can't expect Ben and the wides to bail them out every week when they are in a TD or lose situation.

SteelCrazy
02-06-2011, 11:16 PM
After Ben gave them 14 I wasnt expecting a whole hell of a lot from him....Mendy is just as much to blame. Coaches should have prepared better than they did....I hope Arians is gone.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-06-2011, 11:19 PM
definitely should have attacked more with woodson and shields out.

ben had an awful game.

jj28west
02-06-2011, 11:23 PM
definitely should have attacked more with woodson and shields out.

ben had an awful game.

I was thinking the same thing in why not test Shields with one good arm. They did eventually with Wallace but it wasnt until the 4th quarter.

Crash
02-06-2011, 11:24 PM
The first pick wasn't Ben's fault. We had TEs on the field and he was hit while throwing. He wasn't awful, he was erratic.

We show more offensive innovation at friggin' Cleveland than we did in the GD Super Bowl.

Arians can retire. I want the Memphis spread that Fitchner uses.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-06-2011, 11:26 PM
get real.

ben was terrible tonight.

i can't even count how many throws he missed.

Eich
02-06-2011, 11:26 PM
I swear Ben was concussed in the first. He had a pretty bad game.

SteelCrazy
02-06-2011, 11:27 PM
The first pick wasn't Ben's fault. We had TEs on the field and he was hit while throwing. He wasn't awful, he was erratic.

We show more offensive innovation at friggin' Cleveland than we did in the GD Super Bowl.

If Ben just gets rid of the ball instead of using that damn pump fake, he throws the ball past the safety.

brothervad
02-06-2011, 11:27 PM

As I said in another thread...

Montana wins this game 32-31 with 1:59 and one timeout.

Great QB's shine in great moments.

Ben is very good...but he still needs to become great.

brothervad

Crash
02-06-2011, 11:30 PM
The only time we moved the ball Johnson and Spaeth were off the field.

Like friggin' always.

First down here comes the TEs. one yard.

Second down, here comes the WRs, think we are gonna pass?

We are too GD predictable. That works against the Browns, BFD.

Eich
02-06-2011, 11:30 PM

brothervad

Ben did exactly that 2 years ago. I honestly think he got his bell rung in the first and never recovered. He was just not right all night.

We didn't need creativity on O really. GB didn't have an answer for our run game and if Ben doesn't throw the one pick and Mendy doesn't lose the other, we win.

Crash
02-06-2011, 11:31 PM

You mean like in SB XLIII? What was that? 88 yards in 2 minutes, right?

Eich
02-06-2011, 11:32 PM

It worked against GB until we turned it over THREE times. We were moving the ball pretty well most of the game.

SteelCrazy
02-06-2011, 11:40 PM

brothervad

Ben did exactly that 2 years ago. I honestly think he got his bell rung in the first and never recovered. He was just not right all night.

We didn't need creativity on O really. GB didn't have an answer for our run game and if Ben doesn't throw the one pick and Mendy doesn't lose the other, we win.

I think his foot is causing all of the high passes in the 10-20 yard range. Hopefully he can get that taken care of this offseason.

bostonsteeler
02-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Ben stank. Bad throw after bad throw. That deep throw to Wallace should have been a TD. Rodgers would've nailed it. It turned into a 14 point swing -- we got a turnover instead of a TD.

Ben only looked good on one drive -- where Ward scored the TD.

Wallace isn't ready yet. He failed to adjust to the ball too many times. Next season perhaps..

Crash
02-06-2011, 11:47 PM

It worked against GB until we turned it over THREE times. We were moving the ball pretty well most of the game.

Yeah, after the first 15 minutes when we put the wides on the field more.

Btw, had to laugh on the hit that ended Sanders night. Harrison did that same hit to Ocho Cincho and got 15 yards.

Sanders gets it? Nothing called.

Miller was grabbed on Ben's first pass to him. Nothing.

Wallace was tackled by another Packer DB before pick #2. Nothing there also.

steeler_george
02-06-2011, 11:54 PM
we can put the blame on ben and mendy, but it was over play of the team. I think the game plan was good enough to win, we just didn't take advantage of their few errors they made.

There were no splash plays on Defense, we stopped them at times, but they caused no panic or give us good field position all day except for that drive on mendy's fumble... but then again that was cause of a short punt on them.

Green Bay responded when they were on the ropes. That is just it.

Steel Life
02-07-2011, 12:01 AM

Yeah, after the first 15 minutes when we put the wides on the field more.

Btw, had to laugh on the hit that ended Sanders night. Harrison did that same hit to Ocho Cincho and got 15 yards.

Sanders gets it? Nothing called.

Miller was grabbed on Ben's first pass to him. Nothing.

Wallace was tackled by another Packer DB before pick #2. Nothing there also.
I'm in agreement with Crash...where was our hurry up offense? They were struggling in the secondary, the line was holding it's own - why didn't Arians bring out the guns? Maybe it was because our young WRs seemed confused out there.

That said...our D gave up key first downs when they needed to shut them down. Look, I love LeBeau & respect the way he approaches the game & the fact his players would lie down in traffic for him...but this was not the finest hour as the Pack kept going back to the same seam route that we seemed incapable of stopping. When the D started throwing every blitz at Rodgers, I knew we were in trouble just like we were against the Cards, because if you don't get there, then there are holes. We would've been better off to rush four & flood the lanes with players & let the pressure reach him.

All in all, lots of blame to go around...players & coaches. Too bad, this was a golden opportunity to really separate from the rest of the NFL

Steelhere10
02-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Ben was the main reason for the loss, but the predictable game plan on offense and defense was pathetic. Turtle ball at it's best , but the way Ben played maybe it was for the best.

papillon
02-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Ben was the main reason for the loss, but the predictable game plan on offense and defense was pathetic. Turtle ball at it's best , but the way Ben played maybe it was for the best.

It's not turtle ball when there are yards to be made running the ball. The Steelers had to keep taking the balance out the offense because when they would get close the Pack would make a play and push the lead to double digits.

Ben struggled to be sure, but he also made some plays to keep them in the game, he always does. He couldn't put anything together on that last drive. The way the game was played to even be in that position was amazing. I'm sitting at home thinking: How in the world do we even have a chance to win this game?

Pappy

Starlifter
02-07-2011, 12:47 AM
I was fine with running the ball - we were having great success. We just didn't hit any big plays and Ben had an average, not great game. even with all the mistakes, he had wallace for an easy TD and missed the throw.

the defense had a chance for a stop at the end and let them drive the field. We had a good game plan and enough success to show it could have worked - we just failed to execute on both sides.

sloppy game. erratic offense. bad defense. stupid ST mistakes and we lose by 6.

It's actually amazing we kept the game that close.

feltdizz
02-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Ben was horrible. He had a bad game. It happens...

I don't want to hear about what Ben would do with a good OL and time...

Ben had time... the OL did it's job...

It happens... :oops:

Crash
02-07-2011, 12:59 AM
They didn't do their job on his first pick.

It only cost them 7 points though.

papillon
02-07-2011, 12:59 AM

Ben had too much time to think about where to throw the ball. I like it better when he just reacts and lets it fly. He had so much time on some plays that I was sure he was getting sacked.

The Packers did one thing tonight when Ben was getting time to throw and that was keep him in the pocket. The two times he did get outside the pocket on a scramble (not a run) he basically just threw it away. Thew Pack took away his ability to scramble with his head up looking for a receiver.

Pappy

steelblood
02-07-2011, 01:02 AM

Yeah, the o-line performed very well. But, that first pick was entirely on Kemo who was terrible in pass pro for the first quarter. He was getting dominated by some of GBs fat dudes (man they have a lot). Ben was a little off, but he also made some plays.

I think Ben missed Sanders. We needed a Sanders or Holmes type in the this game who could run those short routes and get open.

feltdizz
02-07-2011, 01:06 AM

Yeah, the o-line performed very well. But, that first pick was entirely on Kemo who was terrible in pass pro for the first quarter. He was getting dominated by some of GBs fat dudes (man they have a lot). Ben was a little off, but he also made some plays.

I think Ben missed Sanders. We needed a Sanders or Holmes type in the this game who could run those short routes and get open.

Ben was off on other plays as well..

I thought Rodgers would play the way Ben played....

OldSteelerFan
02-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Rogers made Ben look like a fool. Not only did he throw two picks he consistently missed his receivers. He sucked.

OldSteelerFan

BURGH86STEEL
02-07-2011, 01:15 AM

Some people would say the pump fake was what allowed the defender to make a play. Was there a need for Ben to pump fake?

Steel Life
02-07-2011, 01:16 AM
It wasn't the lack of big plays that did us in, it was the little things...untimely penalties, Mendy not securing the ball, Kemo not holding his block, Wallace not fighting for the ball on the crossing route, Ben throwing high, Troy out of position at times, LBs vacating the middle leaving the deep seam open, Brown not getting open...where the hell was Woodley? It was death by a thousand paper cuts.

Chadman
02-07-2011, 01:17 AM
Geez, a good dose of over reaction coupled with a love-affair for Ben from a few posters here.

Let's not over analyse- The Offense scored enough points to win, the Defense gave up too many opportunities for a 'dominant' defense, and you don't win a 3-0 turnover ratio when they score off every turnover.

The Steelers DID NOT overuse the TE's or the running game. In fact, the Steelers ran the ball very well.

They simply cannot stop the passing game- the DB's are really not up to it. Better DB coverage means better opportunities for LeBeau to 'send the house' and be somewhat successful with it.

Ben didn't play badly the whole game, just gave up two turnovers- not good enough ball protection- that's on him.

The WR's didn't fight for the ball enough- Wallace was particularly guilty this game.

Mendy's fumble was a kick in the guts- considering he played well despite that.

OL did a good job. A real good job. Crash wants to pinpoint the one time they 'struggled' in protection- when Ben threw Pick 1- but there isn't an OL out there that doesn't give up pressure at some point. They played very well, don't mistake that.

Chadman's overall assessment of what transpired- the Steelers DB's are not good enough, therefore teams that want to pass on them, can & will, and this nullifies the impact of the LB's & therefore LeBeau's system struggles. The Defense got nullified. Ben was careless with the ball on a couple of occasions & this proved very costly. Every turnover led to 7 points. If they don't get turnovers, it's VERY likely the Steelers win. This game will go along way to validating the Ben-haters opinion on him not being 'that good', but that's unfair, as Ben was also responsible for a lot of good out there.

Don't give 21 points on turnovers, improve the pass defense, and the Steelers probably win.

But they didn't, the Packers did, and they deserved it.

Steelhere10
02-07-2011, 01:17 AM
Rogers made Ben look like a fool. Not only did he throw two picks he consistently missed his receivers. He sucked.

OldSteelerFanlol that sums it up!

Crash
02-07-2011, 01:20 AM
I think LeBeau's system is played out.

The last five quarters of SB football for this defense? 5 TD passes from the opposition.

The Steelers played too conservative, and too tight for 15 minutes.

It cost them the game.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-07-2011, 01:23 AM
bens poor play lost the game.

end of discussion.

blaming this one on lebeau is just comical.

Crash
02-07-2011, 01:24 AM

end of discussion.

I didn't blame it on LeBeau, but they aren't blameless.

Chadman
02-07-2011, 01:24 AM
I think LeBeau's system is played out.

The last five quarters of SB football for this defense? 5 TD passes from the opposition.

The Steelers played too conservative, and too tight for 15 minutes.

It cost them the game.

The DB's can't cover WR's. This limits the effectiveness of the pass rush. This limits the LeBeau system. If the Steelers had the Jets DB's, it would be a moot point.

Or you could blame the system if you prefer.

feltdizz
02-07-2011, 01:26 AM

end of discussion.

I didn't blame it on LeBeau, but they aren't blameless.

it would be nice if the D had an incredible stop... oh wait.. they held the Pack to a FG and gave us the ball with 2 minutes left.

The O lost this game... TO's lost this game. You can't give the ball away 3 times and expect to win.

Crash
02-07-2011, 01:29 AM
So giving up a FG and a 30 yard pass on 3rd and 10 was an "incredible stop"?

If you say so.

feltdizz
02-07-2011, 01:32 AM
So giving up a FG and a 30 yard pass on 3rd and 10 was an "incredible stop"?

If you say so.

3 TO's and we had the ball down by 6 with 3 minutes left.

The pack had 4 Punts in a row in the second half.

turnovers killed us.