Crash
02-05-2011, 07:44 PM
What a friggin' disgrace!

MeetJoeGreene
02-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Travesty. With a capital T.

Dee Dub
02-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Donnie Shell statistically he is in the top 2 all-time of pure strong safeties that ever played the game. 4 time super bowl champ, 5 time pro bowler, and 3 time first team All-Pro. Too me that one is even a bigger disgrace. No one ever talks about him. EVER!!!

hawaiiansteel
02-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Bettis, Dawson miss Hall of Fame cut

Saturday, February 05, 2011
By Dan Gigler, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://post-gazette.com/pg/images/201002/sbbettisxl1_330.jpg

Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

Jerome Bettis celebrates the 21-10 victory against the Seahawks in Super Bowl XL Feb 5, 2006, in Detroit.

Former Pittsburgh Steelers Jerome Bettis and Dermontti Dawson were not among those selected for enshrinement in the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2011, a source has confirmed to the Post-Gazette.

Among the most popular Steelers in recent history, Bettis finished his career as the NFL's fifth leading all-time rusher with 13,662 yards and 91 touchdowns. He is second on the Steelers all-time rushing list behind Franco Harris. He also caught 200 passes for 1,449 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Bettis was a six-time Pro Bowl selection, a two-time AP first team All-Pro selection, the 1996 NFL Comeback Player of the Year, and the 2002 Walter Payton Man of the Year Award for his off field volunteer and charity work.

It was Bettis's first year of eligibility for the Hall-of-Fame.

Dawson, considered one of, if not the greatest offensive lineman in the team's illustrious history, was named to seven straight Pro Bowls from 1992 to 1998 and was a six-time AP first team All-Pro.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/images/201007/20100702dawson_500.jpg

Dawson has been eligible for the Hall since 2005. He was one of twenty-five semi-finalists that year and in 2006 and 2007. He was one of seventeen finalists in 2008 and 2009.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/11036/1123401-100.stm

SteelBucks
02-05-2011, 08:27 PM
IMO, he was one of the best lineman I've ever seen play. I don't get how he keeps missing out.....what a friggin joke.

ramblinjim
02-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Anti-Steeler bias on Dirt, Bus and Donnie

Crash
02-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Bettis I can see. He hung around too long.

Dawson was dominant, had an injury plaqued 1999, tried to come back in 2000, and when it popped again he did the right thing and quit.

He not being in, while clowns like Dan Dierdorf are in simply because he's from Canton Ohio is a goddamn joke.

hawaiiansteel
02-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Bettis I can see. He hung around too long.

actually, I would say that Jerome timed his last year in the league perfectly! :tt2

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-02/07/xinsrc_382020307093223408021.jpghttp://www.apse.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Jerome-Bettis-Super-Bowl.jpg

skyhawk
02-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Total disgrace.

Sharpe in. Dawson not. Now that's a friggin joke :wft

:Hater s

Eddie Spaghetti
02-05-2011, 08:57 PM
what a ridiculously weak class. maybe one guy deserves a jacket.

sabol????? thats a joke.

papillon
02-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Who were the enshrinees?

Pappy

ColumbusSteelerFan
02-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Who were the enshrinees?

Pappy

Deion Sanders, Marshall Faulk, Shannon Sharpe, Richard Dent, Ed Sabol (NFL Films), Les Richter, and Chris Hanburger. No Dirt on this list is a disgrace, indeed.

Crash
02-05-2011, 09:35 PM
I always said Bettis can't get in until Curtis Martin is in, so they did get that right.

Martin not making it was a joke. He was dominant every year he played but one.

Not bad for a guy Tom Donahoe said wouldn't be drafted.

papillon
02-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Who were the enshrinees?

Pappy

Deion Sanders, Marshall Faulk, Shannon Sharpe, Richard Dent, Ed Sabol (NFL Films), Les Richter, and Chris Hanburger. No Dirt on this list is a disgrace, indeed.

The "Hall of the Very Good or played for a long time" is what it should be called.

Any of those players in the discussion as GOAT at his position? Deion maybe? After that, not a one, Dirt is a combination of the two best centers ever, Webster and Stephenson.

What a disgrace the HOF is becoming.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
02-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Out of the 15 finalists, Bus was one of the first 5 guys eliminated, but Dirt made it to the final 10 (Sanders, Faulk, Sabol, Dent, Sharpe, Kennedy, Reed, Dawson, Roaf and Brown).

I didn't think Bettis was going to get in this year, but Dawson should have been in years ago.

Luckily, there is no one of note coming eligible next year that is a slam dunk. Will Shields was a heck of a guard, but is he better than Dawson at center or Roaf at tackle? Tiki Barber is not as accomplished of a RB compared to Martin and Bettis. Anyone else of note who retired after the 2006 season?

I think 2012 will be Dirt's year to get in. Things start to get a bit more difficult in 2013 as guys like Jonathan Ogden, Warren Sapp, Michael Strahan, Steve McNair, etc. gets their names thrown into the hat.

SteelBucks
02-05-2011, 10:08 PM

sabol????? thats a joke.

I disagree with you on Sabol. His contributions to the league through film are Hall worthy.

Crash
02-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Willie Roaf not in is the biggest crime of all. The man made TWO all decade teams.

hawaiiansteel
02-05-2011, 10:58 PM

sabol????? thats a joke.

I disagree with you on Sabol. His contributions to the league through film are Hall worthy.

Dan Rooney, NFL executive want to keep Ed Sabol out

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 4, 2011

Just as MDS predicted, the Hall of Fame candidacy for NFL Films founder Ed Sabol has turned into a hotly debated topic this week in Dallas.

We’ve heard about one voter that is against Sabol’s candidacy in principle because Sabol is not a player. Paul Domowitch of the Philadelphia Daily News, a man integral in getting Sabol nominated, says that Steelers owner Dan Rooney is trying to block Sabol’s bid.

Even more shocking: Domowitch reports that an NFL executive is lobbying against Sabol.

“This is how petty some people are: NFL’s Joe Browne has been lobbying HOF voters not to vote for Ed Sabol because [Paul] Tagliabue isn’t in yet,” Domowitch wrote.

These are jarring accusations if true and they don’t bode well for Sabol’s candidacy. If an NFL executive and one of its most influential owners don’t support Sabol, why would the media?

Browne is the longest-tenured league executive, having recently moved to a senior adviser role after his run as Executive VP of Communications and Public Affairs. Contacted by PFT, Browne strongly denied the accusation.

“I believe both [Tagliabue and Sabol] deserve to be in the Hall,” Browne said. “I recently participated in an NFL Films video expressing support for Ed Sabol’s great impact on our sport. Tagliabue may have a more difficult time because his critics are more vocal. I have not spoken to Paul Domowitch about either one of them. My Hall of Fame lobbying days have been over for some time.”

Friday’s back-and-forth is a strong sign that Sabol’s candidacy will be a contentious topic among voters on Saturday. That’s not usually a recipe for enshrinement.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... sabol-out/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/04/hall-of-fame-voter-dan-rooney-nfl-executive-want-to-keep-ed-sabol-out/)

Captain Lemming
02-06-2011, 01:20 AM
What a friggin' disgrace!

For ONCE I am happy to say, Crash I agree with you 100 percent.

And YES Dawson is more deserving than Bettis. EASILY.

hawaiiansteel
02-06-2011, 01:33 AM
it's a crime that Dawson, one of the great all-time centers is not already in the Hall of Fame.

and now that Marshall Faulk has been inducted, Bettis will have a much better chance of getting in next year.

Steelers>NFL
02-06-2011, 12:40 PM
No big thing. Dawson will get in eventually.

Iron Shiek
02-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Yup, next year Steelers will be doing what they are doing this week, only in Indianapolis. And Saturday morning, it will be DIrt and Bus getting their due.

Crash
02-06-2011, 03:35 PM
No big thing. Dawson will get in eventually.

When? When he's too old to enjoy it or dead?

Just like Richter, what changed in the last 50 years? Did he get better? Or did he have to die first?

The old time Browns player who had Alzeimer's, he had no friggin' clue where he was.

Bob Hayes? Same thing, didn't play for 30 years and then dies and then he gets in. That's a crock.

First ballot my as$, you are either in or you aren't.

ScoreKeeper
02-06-2011, 03:46 PM
And let's not forget about Andy Russell. His not being in is a crime.