PDA

View Full Version : Another reason Tomlin is just a fantastic coach ...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-05-2011, 10:27 AM
I've read about how he held the team together during the first qrtr of the year that we didn't have Ben, how his attitude of "the standard doesn't change" has helped Kugs keep that O-line together with duct tape and baling wire, how he's the emotional anchor that kept this team grounded during the playoff and Superbowl run.

One thing I thought of today that I don't really remember reading too much about is how he handled the whole Harrison thing back in October ... Harrison hot as could be, getting ready to quit, or say/do something that couldn't be retracted ...

It all turned out so well that it's easy to forget that at the time it wasn't a foregone conclusion. Harrison could easily have flamed out, and if that happened, in all probability we wouldn't be in Dallas.

Whatever it was that Tomlin did behind closed doors with Harrison ... it was EXACTLY the right touch he had.

HERE WE GO, STEELERS!!

proudpittsburgher
02-05-2011, 12:02 PM
The standard is the standard.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-05-2011, 02:21 PM
I've read about how he held the team together during the first qrtr of the year that we didn't have Ben, how his attitude of "the standard doesn't change" has helped Kugs keep that O-line together with duct tape and baling wire, how he's the emotional anchor that kept this team grounded during the playoff and Superbowl run.

One thing I thought of today that I don't really remember reading too much about is how he handled the whole Harrison thing back in October ... Harrison hot as could be, getting ready to quit, or say/do something that couldn't be retracted ...

It all turned out so well that it's easy to forget that at the time it wasn't a foregone conclusion. Harrison could easily have flamed out, and if that happened, in all probability we wouldn't be in Dallas.

Whatever it was that Tomlin did behind closed doors with Harrison ... it was EXACTLY the right touch he had.

HERE WE GO, STEELERS!!

Funny thing SASF. I was thinking about this very thing a couple of weeks ago and last night again, and was thinking about starting a similar thread. Not just with how he handled JH, but how he dealt with the whole flag happy situation.

Many of the posters here were saying things like that Tomlin has to come out and make a statement on behalf of Harrison and the awful reffing that we were receiving - especially after that Oakland game. He did not, he kept his cool and stayed focused, and here we are today with that way behind us in the rear view mirror.

A couple of weeks ago I had the rare opportunity to be involved in a coaching clinic, in a pretty small setting, conducted by several hockey coaches, including former Flyers/Stars/Blue Jackets coach Ken Hitchcock.

One of the important statements that he made was that the refs are invisible. I listened closely on this because I was actually thinking about Tomlin as he was talking. The coach always has to stay calm when faced with bad officiating, because as soon as he loses his cool he has just given the players an excuse to lose. That would have undermined his "the standard is the standard" message.

Injuries are not an excuse, poor officiating is not an excuse, go out and win! I think that he learned a lesson after "unleash hell". We are on the right track and that does not change from game to game. One message, one goal.

BURGH86STEEL
02-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Appears the organization hired the right man to help lead this team.

Steelers>NFL
02-05-2011, 02:30 PM
I for one never believed for one minute Harrison was goona quit. He was not gonna walk away from that big contract. Even if he gets fines $250,000.00 every year, he is still
making a lot of money. So I do not think there was much for Tomlin to handle there, other than keep Harrison grounded and convince him not to change his play style.

But nevertheless, Tomlin is a great coach. I love the way he speaks and his choice of words or phrases.

Djfan
02-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Watching the NFL Films rebroadcast version of SB XLIII was amazing. When the players were all feeling like losers for letting the Cards get ahead late in the 4th, Tomlin was thinking that it wasn't time to feel sorry for themselves, but that the winning attitude needed to come out now.

He went down the bench with that in mind. Nothing else. Who's mind works that way?

The dude is amazing.

AngryAsian
02-05-2011, 03:45 PM
For all of us old Trib members, we can remember all the heated debates about how the Rooney's got this one wrong. All the Whisenhunt lovers were just spewing on about how we hired Tomlin only to satisfy the rule that our original owner founded. I wonder where was the Cardinal's "standard" this season. Its not luck that you make it to the big dance twice in four seasons with issues like a patchwork OL, rookie receivers, new OL coach, several key position injuries, two unfamiliar cogs on ST with kick-offs and punts, and the turmoil that microscopic scrutiny by everyone in the media because of hard-hitting LB and a suspended franchise QB.

Tomlin is the man.

hawaiiansteel
02-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Steelers’ Coach Takes a Quiet Route to Brilliance

By WILLIAM C. RHODEN
Published: February 5, 2011

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/02/06/sports/rhoden/rhoden-popup.jpg

Brian Snyder/Reuters
Coach Mike Tomlin with his Steelers on media day at Cowboys Stadium on Tuesday.

During a Super Bowl week with so much hype and thousands of words, Pittsburgh Coach Mike Tomlin spoke sparingly and economically, with precision and grace.

Tomlin chooses words carefully, thinks before he talks and rarely blurts out an uncensored thought.

He acknowledges his roots but plays down the significance of being an African-American head coach in the N.F.L.

Yet if Tomlin leads the Steelers to victory on Sunday against the Green Bay Packers and wins his second Super Bowl ring in four seasons, he may become the first African-American head coach to be called brilliant.

The language of adulation has been reserved for white coaches. Tomlin can bridge this divide, though that depends more on the news media than it ever will on Tomlin.

A pattern emerged last season when the Indianapolis Colts started 14-0 under the first-year coach Jim Caldwell. Many commentators attributed the Colts’ success to Peyton Manning, not Caldwell. Even Tony Dungy, the first African-American head coach to win the Lombardi Trophy, was minimized as a good coach who thrived only because Manning was his quarterback.

But there is no question that Tomlin, not Ben Roethlisberger, runs the Steelers.

With a victory Sunday, Tomlin will be one championship ring behind Joe Gibbs, Bill Walsh and Bill Belichick, and two behind Chuck Noll, the Steelers legend who won four in the 1970s.

Noll began his career in Pittsburgh in 1969, going 1-13, 5-9 and 6-8 in his first three seasons. Belichick endured five mostly miserable seasons as coach in Cleveland, held two jobs as an assistant coach, then was hired by New England and connected with Tom Brady.

Tomlin, 37, does not come off as a romantic and does not engage in nostalgia. He is confident and unapologetic. Asked how reaching two Super Bowls in just four years contrasted with his expectations when he took the Steelers job, Tomlin said, “It’s probably about two Super Bowls too short of my vision.”

“I’m not in a reflection mode,” he continued. “I’m just trying to do it. We’ve got a really good football team — guys who are not only talented, but are selfless in work. So we are trying to maximize the opportunity that we have. Maybe later in life when we’re all old, maybe we’ll sit around and reflect a little bit.”

Rex Ryan, the Jets’ bodacious coach, showed Tomlin the ultimate respect: he didn’t boast before their teams played in the A.F.C. championship game. Ryan had been talking a blue streak all season and during the playoffs. He called out Manning, then Belichick. When the time came time to play Pittsburgh, Ryan spoke of Tomlin in glowing terms. “He’s one of my favorite coaches,” Ryan said. “He’s a man’s man, and his team plays like that.”

Dungy gave Tomlin his start in the N.F.L., as he has done for nearly every African-American head coach. When asked about Dungy’s effect on his life, Tomlin lowered his shield for a moment last week and allowed a look at the way he sees himself and his role as head coach.

“I can give a really pointed answer because I am very conscious of Coach Dungy’s influence in terms of how I do my job,” Tomlin said, adding: “He tries to lead through service, and I do the same. I learned that from him in providing the men what they need to be great. Every day when I go to work, I don’t think about things I have to do, I think about the things I can do to make my men successful. So I have a servant’s mentality in terms of how I approach my job, and I get that from Coach Dungy.”

Tomlin has had to put that philosophy to use with the Steelers throughout the season, imploring backup players to step in and perform, and young players to grow up and contribute.

“If you have a helmet on, you’re a guy who is capable of making deciding plays,” Tomlin said. “We don’t grade on a curve. If I give any of these guys a helmet on Sunday, I expect them to potentially put themselves in position to be the reason why they win. I think there is not a man in our locker room who doesn’t embrace that. We’re not interested in style points.”

Tomlin resisted the hype.

He answered questions the way he coaches, directly and efficiently. Asked to describe his emotions in such a pressure-packed spot, Tomlin said: “I’m a robot. I’m just going to ride the wave.”

Two Super Bowl appearance in his first four seasons as head coach.

That is one great wave.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/sport ... &src=twrhp (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/sports/football/06rhoden.html?_r=1&src=twrhp)

feltdizz
02-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Tomlin is an amazing communicator.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-05-2011, 04:43 PM
I for one never believed for one minute Harrison was goona quit. He was not gonna walk away from that big contract. Even if he gets fines $250,000.00 every year, he is still
making a lot of money. So I do not think there was much for Tomlin to handle there, other than keep Harrison grounded and convince him not to change his play style.

But nevertheless, Tomlin is a great coach. I love the way he speaks and his choice of words or phrases.

The job that Tomlin performed was not to keep him from quitting, it was to allow him to get back to where he is focused in the right direction.

pittpete
02-05-2011, 04:46 PM
#44, is that Frank Summers?

msp26505
02-05-2011, 04:48 PM

...and clean the facilities after the leading is done.

hawaiiansteel
02-05-2011, 04:55 PM
#44, is that Frank Summers?

yup, we have a Frank The Tank sighting! :tt2

PSU_dropout43
02-05-2011, 10:32 PM
he's still a coach on training wheels.

Captain Lemming
02-06-2011, 01:12 AM
Tomlin is an amazing communicator.

Got that right, off the top of his head he ALWAYS says the right thing.
Every time he say something I'm like" wow that is just right".

Well as long as he stays away from promising to "UNLEASH" anything. :wink:

Chadman
02-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Maybe...just maybe, Chadman is focussing on the wrong thing here...but #72- Jon Scott...has a pinhead compared to the size of his body.

What's going on there??

And yep- Frank the Tank is still around it would seem...

Chadman
02-06-2011, 10:03 AM
although it kinda looks like Frank is contemplating trying a bite on James Farrior...it would also seem as if Frank ate all the pies..

Oviedo
02-06-2011, 11:50 AM

It was never a doubt. If you want an organization to go to the next level you hire a fresh set of eyes. You don't keep people in the organization who will be resistant to change or are too comfortable with the status quo.

BURGH86STEEL
02-06-2011, 12:52 PM

It was never a doubt. If you want an organization to go to the next level you hire a fresh set of eyes. You don't keep people in the organization who will be resistant to change or are too comfortable with the status quo.

There was doubt from certain fans. I didn't understand the dislike or doubts about the man before he was given a chance to prove what he could do to help this team accomplish it's goals.

I don't know if a fresh set of eyes was what was needed. I do know that there is more then one way to accomplish goals. The Steelers hired a new head coach but decided to keep people that were already in the organization. The organization believes in continuity and stability. Win or lose this SB, the bottom line on Tomlin is that he was the right man for the job.

feltdizz
02-06-2011, 01:02 PM

There was doubt from certain fans. I didn't understand the dislike or doubts about the man before he was given a chance to prove what he could do to help this team accomplish it's goals.

I don't know if a fresh set of eyes was what was needed. I do know that there is more then one way to accomplish goals. The Steelers hired a new head coach but decided to keep people that were already in the organization. The organization believes in continuity and stability. Win or lose this SB, the bottom line on Tomlin is that he was the right man for the job.

I think a fresh set of eyes at the HC position is the key to our success. We have never hired from the inside and look at the results..

Iron Shiek
02-06-2011, 01:37 PM
For all of us old Trib members, we can remember all the heated debates about how the Rooney's got this one wrong. All the Whisenhunt lovers were just spewing on about how we hired Tomlin only to satisfy the rule that our original owner founded. I wonder where was the Cardinal's "standard" this season. Its not luck that you make it to the big dance twice in four seasons with issues like a patchwork OL, rookie receivers, new OL coach, several key position injuries, two unfamiliar cogs on ST with kick-offs and punts, and the turmoil that microscopic scrutiny by everyone in the media because of hard-hitting LB and a suspended franchise QB.

Tomlin is the man.

Heck yeah, AA, tomlin was THE WRONG CHOICE by so many people's opinions. Glad opinions can be changed, and hopefully he's changed all those people's opinions by now!