PDA

View Full Version : Craig Wolfley: The Big Legursky

hawaiiansteel
02-04-2011, 08:15 PM
The Big Legursky

by CRAIG WOLFLEY on FEBRUARY 2, 2011

The Big Legursky.

If Maurkice Pouncey wasn’t Maurkice Pouncey (A Pro Bowl and All-Pro center in his first year), then Doug Legursky would be the starting center of the Pittsburgh Steelers and most likely Maurkice would be lining up next to Doug at guard (the original plan if you remember). Doug could start for other teams in this league. He is the equivalent of Chris Hoke playing behind Casey Hampton.

I know Bronko Legursky is not as athletic and able to track down and dominate second tier linebackers like Maurkice, but he brings his own particular skill set to the big shooting match (this isn’t CNN and remember, we are in Texas).

Though not as athletically gifted as Maurkice, Doug played goalline FB and TE as well as guard and of course center. Remember that Doug was chosen to play those positions because he demonstrated the quicks to make the physical adjustments required of TE’s and banging FB’s. That takes athleticism.

Bronko is smart, knows the offense better than Maurkice, and directs traffic very well. In the blitz-happy defensive schemes of Dom Capers, he is well-versed in anti-sack schematics.

Doug is a very powerful dude who plays well in keeping positive levels with both guards on pass pro. Meaning he stays on the same plane giving very little in allowing the opponent to hit gaps between them. His strength is also very noticeable when a NT tries to bull rush and drive him back to create penetration for others. He gives very little ground in that department.

Doug plays with a low pad level and with his great hamhock strength and sporting shoulders that you normally find on one of the rodeo bulls that bust up cowboys down here in Fort Worth, he is a tough hombre in his own right when it comes to roadgrading on run blocking. Doug likes to throw guys down and gore them like Donald Trump likes to fire people.

Yes i know people are screaming platitudes about BJ Raji, the huge NT of the Packers. Yes, he is a very good player. Yes he will be a handful. But i am confident that Legursky can match up with Raji.

Don’t forget, for the last 2 years Bronko has been the practice squad center. For the last 2 years, week in and week out, training camp in and training camp out, Bronko has been playing against Casey Hampton and holding his own. Big Snack is a pretty good player in his own right.

No doubt the preference would be to have a healthy Maurkice Pouncey take the center position come kickoff. But the snappers position is in good hands if he’s not.

http://craigwolfley.com/2011/02/the-big-legursky/

NW Steeler
02-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks for posting. Makes me feel better about Legs being in there. I feel bad for Pouncey in that he doesn't get to play. On another note, I can't believe how many people are picking against the Steelers!

Chadman
02-04-2011, 09:03 PM
This could really be Legurs'ky's chance to get a genuine shot at that RG spot next season...if he performs, you'd have to give him a look, surely.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Sorry, I mean I hope Doug totally does a great job, but this article just wreaks of BS. You mean to tell me, that If Pouncey couldn't beat out Doug for the center job, that he would be starting at RG, but since he did beat out Legursky for the starting C job, then Doug rides the rail? He isn't good enough to start at RG over Ramon Foster or Trai Essex?

hawaiiansteel
02-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Steelers' offensive line answers critics, opens holes

Posted Feb. 04, 2011
Posted By Eric Edholm

DALLAS — They have no fancy nickname as a group. Other than their immense size, they don't much look alike.

But the bond that ties together the Steelers' offensive line runs deeper than that. They might not be Everybody's All-Americans, but this is a group that can look and laugh at their critics now from the game's biggest stage.

What else do they have in common? Strength, resilience and fight.

"Nine times out of 10, the critic that has something negative to say about (the offensive line) doesn't want to see me on the field," Steelers OLT Jonathan Scott said.

Scott is a good representation of the group. The left tackle, Scott swung over from the right side when starter Max Starks landed on injured reserve. After only 14 starts through four seasons with the Lions and Bills, Scott has stepped up as a rock-solid protector for QB Ben Roethlisberger's backside.

He's neither highly paid nor highly praised, but quietly Scott has gotten better seemingly with each game. The unit peaked — ironically, after its one star, Pro Bowl rookie C Maurkice Pouncey got hurt — in the first half of the AFC championship game over the Jets.

Scott said it was the group's chance to show the world what it could do. They rolled their way toward 166 rushing yards, with Rashard Mendenhall (121 yards) helping build the insurmountable 24-3 first-half lead.

"It was just kind of a statement that we know how to play this game, and we know we can play it well," Scott said. "It's about playing physical football and everybody on our offensive line has that attribute. So going out there and doing it against a great defensive line, it just reconfirmed that what we've been doing all year wasn't a fluke.

"We plan to do the exact same thing, to bring the fight to Green Bay (in the Super Bowl) and come out with a W."

The Steelers know the challenge at hand. The Packers' defensive line, now that DE Cullen Jenkins has returned as a force, is a tough front, and OLB Clay Matthews rivals the Steelers' James Harrison as one of the league's best edge rushers.

If the Steelers have to go without Pouncey, who is gamely battling through a high ankle sprain, they'll be all systems go with backup Doug Legursky.

"We know what Doug brings," OL coach Sean Kugler said. "He's a very smart player. He brings a lot of intensity and toughness. That's why we brought him in here in the first place and we have all of the confidence that he'll do the job on Sunday."

Most of the football world was introduced to Legursky after the Pouncey injury against the Jets, but he started four games earlier in the season at guard. Trai Essex, who will be the emergency center behind Legursky, has started five games this season. Ramon Foster has started eight at guard.

They've had to roll with the injury punches they have taken all season along. Although the group has had its share of tough games in terms of blocks missed and sacks allowed, the overall product has been pretty darned good. Their flexibility has served them well.

"It's definitely not ideal, but we were prepared for it," said Essex, who has been a member of both Super Bowl-winning Steelers teams the past six years. "Coach Kugs did a a great job of preparing us in the offseason … to play multiple positions at a moment's notice. He said that was the only way we were going to make the team, is to have position flexibility.

The only two O-linemen to start all 16 games this season were ORT Flozell Adams and Pouncey. But Adams was far from being a set-and-forget guy. The longtime Cowboys left tackle not only was switching teams for the first time, but he also was playing the right side for the first time in his career.

"It wasn't that big an adjustment, but it did take me four or five games to get comfortable," Adams said. "Now, it's second nature. It was (moving my) left first, now it's right foot first. That's the biggest thing. Everything's just turned around."

Adams said he occasionally needed to throw his massive arm around Foster, a second-year player who beat out Essex around midseason. The former undrafted free agent needed a pick-me-up after a bad game, a bad practice or just to prevent him from getting too down on himself.

"I knew what he was going through," Adams said. "Every young player goes through that at some point. He pulled out (of it) fine. He's all set now."

Roethlisberger has made sure to give his line plenty of shout-outs this week. He has been quick to praise the group. You won't hear a bad word from the coaches, either. They might not have the reputation, nationally, but they have the support of their locker room and fans, and they have each other's back.

"There are certain guys in the league that have gotten a lot of praise for what they've done, but you can't get to the Super Bowl if you're not an above-average group of guys," Scott said. "We've got guys, including myself, that go out there and play hard. If you look hard enough, you'll see that our offensive line gets after it."

Two years ago, after beating the Cardinals in the Super Bowl, Roethlisberger famously quipped: "Who's laughing now, O-line?" If the Steelers win again, you can be sure — for good this time — that no one will be laughing any longer.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/0 ... hole/print (http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/02/04/steelers-offensive-line-answers-critics-opens-hole/print)

skyhawk
02-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Hey folks, if the Steelers could beat the Cards in SB43 with Hartwig, they can win this one with Bronko.

sd steel
02-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Sorry, I mean I hope Doug totally does a great job, but this article just wreaks of BS. You mean to tell me, that If Pouncey couldn't beat out Doug for the center job, that he would be starting at RG, but since he did beat out Legursky for the starting C job, then Doug rides the rail? He isn't good enough to start at RG over Ramon Foster or Trai Essex?

No, you don't really understand the dynamics of the offensive line. One major reason why Doug isn't a starting guard is because of his height. The taller the guard the harder it is to see the back and read play action. Secondly he is probably the most athletic and the smartest lineman we have so they use him as a utility guy to fill in at any spot when necessary, and as you have seen this year it has been necessary alot. The other positive is Legursky although shorter that Pouncey, he weighs more, so he has a lower center of gravity which will help him against Raji. He might not get to second level, but Raji isn't going to bull rush him. The biggest slam I heard on him this week was about his fumbles last week, and although they were both his fault, Ben needs to recognize went legursky has to take off to reach for the A gap and ride him longer. I am sure they worked that out this week. So I think the article is spot on, not to mention that the offense put up 17 points in the first half with him in the game against the defensive mastermind's (Rex Ryan) defense. We won't miss a beat....unless we have 2 more injuries on the line.

Shoe
02-05-2011, 12:27 AM

+1
Also, please consider that Wolfley is a former lowly-regarded OL who had to make it on his smarts and guts and guile (like Legursky). I think it's as much him talking as the underdog that he also was, as it is truth. Otherwise, like Mr. Pittsburgh said (above), why not start him over those other bums.

Starlifter
02-05-2011, 12:48 AM
i've not been concerned about Legursky at all. He's done a terrific job this year at a multitude of positions.

nope, my trepidation comes solely from the fact that if he gets hurt - trai Essex is next.

fordfixer
02-05-2011, 02:01 AM
Kugler used to shuffling offensive lines
By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, February 5, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 21535.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_721535.html)

DALLAS — It was the first day of minicamp, and new Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler gathered his unit to state his expectations.

"He said no matter who is in there, we are getting the job done," Doug Legursky said.

Almost 10 months later, Kugler's words still are ringing true.

"I don't know if he had a Magic 8 Ball or what, but he was spot-on," backup tackle Tony Hills said.

Kugler has had to manage six different starting combinations this season and is dealing with the loss of starting center Maurkice Pouncey, whom coach Mike Tomlin officially ruled out of Super Bowl XLV against the Green Bay Packers on Sunday. What's more, five linemen have played three or more positions during a game this season.

But Kugler pulled on a recent and painful experience in Buffalo that ultimately cost him his job there to help his unit in Pittsburgh.

Last year, Kugler lost three starters and five linemen overall to injured reserve, was forced to field six tackle tandems and nine line combinations, twice signed players and was forced to start them four days later, and once even had to dress an injured player as the sixth linemen in case of an emergency.

"You probably never expect to go through a thing like that twice," Kugler said. "Unfortunately that happened for us this year."

Both Steelers starting tackles were placed on injured reserve — Willie Colon in the spring and Max Starks midway through the season. Starting guard Trai Essex was injured in Week 2; Flozell Adams battled dehydration issues, sicknesses and knee problems; and Chris Kemoeatu missed time with a knee injury.

And now there's Pouncey, whose high ankle sprain against the New York Jets in the AFC title game has sidelined him for Sunday.

Still, the patchwork line has fared better than last year's unit, paving the way for eight more rushing yards per game while allowing nine fewer total sacks. A lot of that success is attributed to how Kugler set the tone early in the season.

"We knew that we were going to only dress seven on game days," Kugler said. "Everybody had to be position flexible and had to be able to step up because of an injury. It's been a wild ride."

It started when Colon and rookie draft pick Chris Scott were hurt during the spring, followed by a Week 1 injury to Starks.

Kugler had to shuffle players at different positions nearly every series because of dehydration issues during the second half of a Week 2 game at a hot, humid LP Field in Tennessee.

"That's unheard of, and hopefully that never happens again," Kugler said.

The Steelers won the game and ran for more than 100 yards despite the hodgepodge unit Kugler was forced to employ.

"He just knows how to deal with it and adjust accordingly," said Essex, who left the Titans game with an ankle injury. "That's how it has been all season long."

A few weeks later in Cincinnati, the line was so decimated that tight end Matt Spaeth was the next man in line to play if anyone else went down.

"It's all about resiliency," tackle Jonathan Scott said.

Kugler's approach has worked and is a reason the Steelers are in the Super Bowl.

When the Steelers gathered for their first minicamp session in April, the starting line was Starks, Kemoeatu, Justin Hartwig, Essex and Colon.

The line that will start in Super Bowl XLV includes a fifth-round pick (Scott), sixth-rounder (Kemoeatu), two undrafted free agents (Legursky and Ramon Foster) and a 13-year veteran (Adams) who is in the first year with the Steelers.

"They embrace our motto that 'The standard is the standard,'" Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "Guys have stepped up and proved that they are capable of being reasons why we win."

Read more: Kugler used to shuffling offensive lines - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1D3sHj6WA (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_721535.html#ixzz1D3sHj6WA)

Mister Pittsburgh
02-05-2011, 10:43 AM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":3t49bbo8]Sorry, I mean I hope Doug totally does a great job, but this article just wreaks of BS. You mean to tell me, that If Pouncey couldn't beat out Doug for the center job, that he would be starting at RG, but since he did beat out Legursky for the starting C job, then Doug rides the rail? He isn't good enough to start at RG over Ramon Foster or Trai Essex?

No, you don't really understand the dynamics of the offensive line. One major reason why Doug isn't a starting guard is because of his height. The taller the guard the harder it is to see the back and read play action. Secondly he is probably the most athletic and the smartest lineman we have so they use him as a utility guy to fill in at any spot when necessary, and as you have seen this year it has been necessary alot. The other positive is Legursky although shorter that Pouncey, he weighs more, so he has a lower center of gravity which will help him against Raji. He might not get to second level, but Raji isn't going to bull rush him. The biggest slam I heard on him this week was about his fumbles last week, and although they were both his fault, Ben needs to recognize went legursky has to take off to reach for the A gap and ride him longer. I am sure they worked that out this week. So I think the article is spot on, not to mention that the offense put up 17 points in the first half with him in the game against the defensive mastermind's (Rex Ryan) defense. We won't miss a beat....unless we have 2 more injuries on the line.[/quote:3t49bbo8]

Kemo is 6'3", Legursky 6'1". 2" is the difference between being a starting guard or a bench player that gets in when we need a FB or someone is injured? Don't get me wrong here, I hope he plays excellently, but 2" wouldn't put a good OL on the bench.

sd steel
02-05-2011, 01:06 PM
2 inches is a big difference, (I asked my wife :)) , and Kemo can only play guard and wasn't going to be replaced anyway.

ScoreKeeper
02-05-2011, 04:02 PM
2 inches is a big difference, (I asked my wife :)) , and Kemo can only play guard and wasn't going to be replaced anyway.
I asked her too.

I keed, I keed. :Cheers

We need to lighten the mood a bit. The Stress is getting to me. I think my wife is about to ask me to move out for a few days/weeks. Depends on the out-come.

hawaiiansteel
02-05-2011, 04:26 PM

I asked her too.

We need to lighten the mood a bit. The Stress is getting to me. I think my wife is about to ask me to move out for a few days/weeks. Depends on the out-come.

my wife says there really isn't that much of a difference between 10" or 12"... :)

sd steel
02-05-2011, 04:42 PM

I asked her too.

my wife says there really isn't that much of a difference between 10" or 12"... :)

:lol: :Clap
To both of you! :tt2

Shoe
02-05-2011, 09:42 PM

I asked her too.

Are we talking hoagies or dongs?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-05-2011, 09:48 PM

I asked her too.

Are we talking hoagies or dongs?

http://notanewyorker.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/5_dollar-footlong1.jpg