PDA

View Full Version : ESPN.com ... Pouncey & Smith Ruled OUT

SidSmythe
02-04-2011, 05:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/ ... id=6090999 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=6090999)

Steelers' Maurkice Pouncey ruled out
The Pittsburgh Steelers will be without rookie Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey in the Super Bowl after he didn't practice Friday and was ruled out with a high ankle sprain.

Doug Legursky, who has taken all the reps at starting center in practice since Pouncey's injury, will make his first NFL start.

Pittsburgh defensive end Aaron Smith, who hasn't played since an October triceps injury, has also been ruled out.

The Steelers had a final full practice at TCU in Fort Worth on Friday, and coach Mike Tomlin said the players would then have some free time at night to spend with family and friends. Then, they'll have a "dress rehearsal" Saturday in their last practice, going through what Tomlin called "a mock game" before the Super Bowl at Cowboys Stadium.

Pouncey had received treatment on the ankle while his teammates practiced Thursday.

Pouncey was injured early in the Steelers' 24-19 victory over the New York Jets in the AFC Championship Game nearly two weeks ago. Pouncey needed crutches and wore a walking boot on his left foot as he got off the team plane Monday in Dallas, but didn't need either during the players' final media session Thursday.

Information from ESPN's Suzy Kolber, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and The Associated Press was used in this report.

grotonsteel
02-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Just sad...i really hope its not Aaron Smith's last season for Steelers.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-04-2011, 05:39 PM
If Smith doesn't want to retire....is Hood the starter and Smith rotates in, or Smith the starter and Hood rotates in? Tough call on that one. Hood is a beast.

papillon
02-04-2011, 05:53 PM
If Smith doesn't want to retire....is Hood the starter and Smith rotates in, or Smith the starter and Hood rotates in? Tough call on that one. Hood is a beast.

The former should be the case. Aaron should come back for one more season as a backup and take a curtain call in front of the Steeler fans next year or whenever they play football again. I can't see Smith being put back in the starting lineup at this point in his career. :cry: He is one tough hombre and hopefully, he'll be able to take the farewell tour next year, he deserves it.

If the triceps heals good enough maybe limited playing time will keep the Steelers with a reliable backup for a couple years, that would actually be the best case scenario, IMO.

Pappy

SidSmythe
02-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Smith will be back ... I'm sure of it
BUT at least we know we can win without him

flippy
02-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Smith and Hood will be a heck of a rotation. I wouldn't mind seeing us draft Keisel's replacement in round 1 next year. Having 4 fresh DEs could make this D so much better.

phillyesq
02-04-2011, 07:21 PM

I'd bet on Smith being the nominal starter as a sign of respect and Hood playing more snaps.

This is a tough break for both Aaron and Pouncey, for obvious reasons.