PDA

View Full Version : Roger Goodell is going to ruin the NFL

dsmith
02-04-2011, 02:57 PM
I found this short video on NFL network of Goodell discussing the 18-game season.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-t ... ame-season (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81e1e648/Goodell-on-18-game-season)

I was hoping that he would present some good facts or reasoning behind the 18-game proposal. I was absolutely floored by how out of touch he is with the fans, the media and the players. I can not believe that this guy has a background in law. Most lawyers know how to present items in a favorable light. His arguments are so weak and poorly presented. He would have been better off to tell the truth that the reason for an 18-game schedule is that it would enrich him and the 31 owners that support it.

Not that I had much faith in seeing the CBA getting resolved, but I am absolutely certain that this will not get resolved. I am going to enjoy the hell out of the superbowl, because I have a feeling that we may not see Football again for some time with this a.s.s.-clown at the helm.

ScoreKeeper
02-04-2011, 03:25 PM
He sounded just like a lawyer. He put a twist and spin on everything and never answered the questions.

This guy is ruining the game we all love. And we are watching it happen and there is not a thing we can do about it.

Crash
02-04-2011, 03:26 PM
I think Goodell is mental. Really I do. He's just so far out of touch with reality it's scary.

hawaiiansteel
02-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Goodell wants to get deal done in ‘next few weeks’

By JAIME ARON, AP Pro Football Writer

DALLAS (AP)—Chad Ochocinco asked NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell the question all his fellow players want answered: How far away are we from realistically getting a labor deal done?

Goodell hopes it can be done “in the next few weeks,” meaning before the collective bargaining agreement expires March 3.

“I can tell you the commitment on behalf of the ownership is on getting an agreement,” Goodell said. “I think that’s only going to happen when there’s intense negotiations from your union and the owners. This is the window of opportunity to get this done right. Otherwise, uncertainty is going to seep into all of our operations. … I say, let’s get to work, let’s get an agreement that works for everybody.”

Goodell and union officials are scheduled to meet Saturday in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, the first formal bargaining session since November. Two more sessions have been scheduled for next week, at an undisclosed location.

NFLPA spokesman George Atallah described the meeting as “a window of opportunity” and added: “We intend to go in there with open minds and open ears.”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea to set any expectation, other than the fact that we intend to sit down and continue to have a discussion that should guarantee football for our fans, football for our players,” NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said Thursday.

Goodell repeatedly mentioned needing “intensive, around-the-clock negotiations to address the issues and find solutions.”

“I can assure you that I have that sense of urgency,” Goodell said. “There are enough incentives for all of us to get to the table and get a deal done.”

Extending the regular season by two games to 18 is among the major issues. However, Goodell said “there are no deal-breakers.”

The main issues between the owners and players union include how to divide about $9 billion in annual revenues; the owners’ push to expand the regular season to 18 games; a rookie wage scale; and benefits for retired players.

A lockout is widely expected, although Goodell said owners are only “committed to a deal that works and is fair to the clubs.”

“Status quo is not acceptable,” he said. “We have to address these issues going forward. … The pendulum has shifted too far in one direction.”

He called the union’s request for teams to open up their financial records a negotiating ploy, and said a brewing dustup over whether teams can name franchise players could be headed to court.

Goodell said a work stoppage of any length would draw backlash from fans and sponsors. He noted that would hurt everyone because “when that revenue decreases, there is less for us to share.”

He knows his reputation would take a hit—as would his paycheck. He’s vowed to let his salary plummet from nearly $10 million, including bonuses, to $1.

“I don’t want my salary to go to a dollar,” he said. Then he smiled and added, “My wife doesn’t want my salary to go to a dollar. But it’s a collective sacrifice if we’re not able to get an agreement. It should affect everyone in the league. … We should avoid it to get something done as soon as possible.”

Goodell also said he has spoken to Eagles quarterback Michael Vick(notes) three times in the last two weeks. Vick was reinstated during the 2009 season after spending 18 months in prison on federal charges of running a dogfighting ring.

“We’re looking for success stories; we’re not looking for players to fail,” Goodell said. “He’s paid a very significant price and he’s doing the right thing.”

Vick’s name has been attached to several events that don’t fit the rehabilitated image he’s trying to cultivate. Goodell said Vick told him others were using his name without permission.

“I don’t want him to put himself in a position where bad things can happen around him,” Goodell said. “He takes that seriously.”

With several inches of snow falling Friday, on top of ice that’s been there for days, many Super Bowl activities across the Dallas-Fort Worth area have been postponed or canceled.

Goodell noted that much of the country is enduring similar conditions. He indicated it wouldn’t jeopardize the area’s chances of hosting the game again, mainly because of the most important aspect: Cowboys Stadium. A crowd of more than 100,000 is expected, ensuring a huge profit for the league. There’s a roof, too, ensuring perfect playing conditions.

“Frankly, that’s our stage,” Goodell said. “You’re going to be seeing the Super Bowl from one of the greatest stadiums in the world. … The fact it can handle weather by closing the roof is a benefit.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... wl-goodell (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-superbowl-goodell)

Starlifter
02-05-2011, 01:21 AM
what's amazing is his continued argument that it's still a 20 game season. he really must think fans are idiots to not realize it's 2 extra games the starters HAVE to play instead of the 3 quarters total they play during the pre-season.

I loved the question from a guy who said if there's no value to pre-season games - why not lower the prices for those 4? goodell said the NFL is about increasing the size of the 'pie'. that's what's best for the clubs and for the players. of course it's a total shaft for those of us paying into the 'pie'.

what a douche.

Steelerphile
02-05-2011, 08:52 AM
As his rationale for increasing the season to 18 games, Goodell uses one reason over and over. He has talked to unnamed "fans" who tell him they are unsatisfied with the quality of the preseason games and want two more games that are more exciting.

He "never" mentions the ongoing studies that show players who play NFL football face a host of post-career health problems, from head-trauma early onset Alzheimers, and ongoing joint pain that requires pain medication. That pain medication can also cause side effects. That NFL players lives generally are a lot shorter than the general population.

He "never" mentions that the players themselves who are most affected by this are 100% opposed to the idea. That it requires a tremendous level of health maintenance for the players to make it through a 16-game, and there are many who don't.

He "never" mentions the possible unintended consequences of reducing the level of exposure that a rookie may get in the preseason to show his abilities and make the team. Or that once the season starts and a losing team starts a downward spiral and is eliminated by say the 12-game, that the 17th and 18th games for those teams will be tedious and low quality. I think that the effort level in some of the 18th games would be probowl-like.

His concern is only for the boredom level of probably the least knowledgable fans. "Unnamed" fans, so we just take his word for this. I know there are some avid board posters who want 18-games but I don't think it is a popular idea at all with most knowledgable fans like the people who post here.

It has to be basically about the money, but he won't say it. Compare that to the business that pollutes the river to increase its profits and doesn't care.

My opinion of Goodell is so adverse right now. He really upsets me. The man is not worthy of hat job.

hawaiiansteel
02-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Goodell takes on his critics

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, February 5, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-02-04/goodell-a.jpg

They said it

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on the likelihood that there will be a prolonged work stoppage if a new CBA isn't reached before March 4:

"We will get an agreement, and I think that's only going to happen with intense negotiations. That has to take place now. This is the window of opportunity to get this done right because otherwise uncertainty is going to seep into all of our operations. I'd say right now, let's get to work, let's get an agreement that works for everybody."

Steelers chairman emeritus Dan Rooney on the owners and players reaching an agreement:

"I'm pessimistic if they don't talk. If they talk I'm optimistic. I'm saying serious talks, that they go with the idea that they're going to get an agreement and not just talk to (reporters) and say everything's great or bad."

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft on the urgency the owners and players much show over the next month:

"The American public and sponsors want this product, and if we don't conclude a labor deal before March 4, that will be criminal."

DALLAS — Amid a news conference dominated by questions about a looming work stoppage, Roger Goodell also was asked if he has an anti-Steelers bias — and specifically if the NFL commissioner's worst-case scenario Sunday night is presenting the Super Bowl MVP award to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger or outside linebacker James Harrison.

"I'd be more than happy to hand off the MVP trophy to Ben Roethlisberger or James Harrison," Goodell said. "They've had extraordinary years, and I think it's great for the game of football. I hope they will have great games on Sunday."

Goodell has been in the news with both Harrison and Roethlisberger this week.

Harrison mocked Goodell and the league's crackdown on dangerous hits at Super Bowl media day. Goodell, meanwhile, told Sports Illustrated that none of the more than 20 players he talked to after Roethlisberger was accused of sexual assault last March came to his defense. SI initially reported that Roethlisberger's teammates hadn't supported him and later issued a retraction, saying Goodell had talked to players around the league.

Goodell said yesterday that talking to players is standard before making a big decision. He said he brought it up because he was asked about the process that preceded Goodell suspending Roethlisberger.

In addition to addressing the Roethlisberger controversy, which kicked off Super Bowl week, Goodell refuted the notion that the Steelers were unfairly targeted by his office this season.

Harrison has said the NFL made him the "poster boy" for the kind of hits Goodell wants to eliminate. He has been fined four times for a total of $100,000.

"The rules apply to 32 teams and every player in the league, no exceptions," Goodell said. "If you look at the game this year, (players) adjusted, and it is safer."

Chairman emeritus Dan Rooney said the Steelers are not at odds with Goodell's initiative to improve player safety.

"We never said that we were for head to head hits, none of our players did," Rooney said. "We don't want to hurt anybody. The commissioner's main job is to see that it's a level playing field."

Rooney echoed Goodell's sentiment that earnest negotiations are the only way the players and owners are going to reach a new collective bargaining agreement.

The current one expires after March 3, and players are bracing for owners to lock them out. The sides are divided over revenue sharing.

"There's enough money that we can take care of people that should be, the players, the coaches," Rooney said. "I think the way the thing is going with the National Football League that enough money is being produced to do that. We have a great game, and I think we've to keep it up there."

Rooney, the U.S. Ambassador to Ireland, has been a key figure in brokering labor peace in the past.

He plans to stay on the sidelines this time.

"My job," Rooney said, "is in Ireland."

Read more: Goodell takes on his critics - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1D6uhLGXz (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_721536.html#ixzz1D6uhLGXz)

ScoreKeeper
02-05-2011, 03:51 PM
True fans don't want an 18 game season and the players don't want an 18 game season so what's the problem here?

I love watching the pre-season games and seeing who will make it, who will be cut. Even after the 4th game I like to see who is signed as a FA to us or another team. But then you have fans and sports talking heads like those in the New England area who profess their hate for the pre-season and even admit they don't watch the games. Those are not the true fans of the game.

How many guys have made a roster by playing well in the 3rd or 4th pre-season game? If it's down to two, then the starters will have to play most of those games to get in tune and that leaves these kids with little opportunity to make the club if they are on the bubble.

feltdizz
02-05-2011, 04:03 PM
True fans don't want an 18 game season and the players don't want an 18 game season so what's the problem here?

I love watching the pre-season games and seeing who will make it, who will be cut. Even after the 4th game I like to see who is signed as a FA to us or another team. But then you have fans and sports talking heads like those in the New England area who profess their hate for the pre-season and even admit they don't watch the games. Those are not the true fans of the game.

How many guys have made a roster by playing well in the 3rd or 4th pre-season game? If it's down to two, then the starters will have to play most of those games to get in tune and that leaves these kids with little opportunity to make the club if they are on the bubble.

I like the pre-season the way it is... I like the league the way it is. If season ticket holders don't like the full price of pre-season tickets give them up or sell them.

Everyone is making money but everyone is complaining. Goodell may be a douche but he is just doing what the owners want. It's not like Goodell gets all the money from adding 2 more games.

I'm sick of hearing about how Goodell is ruining the game... we are in the SB and the ratings are the highest they have ever been. The owners are the real problem, how many owners said they don't want the money? 1. Rooney.

Crash
02-05-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm sick of hearing about how Goodell is ruining the game

He isn't? Look what the league has dealt with since he took over.

He covered up SpyGate.

He changed hitting rules in mid season.

His woeful inconsistent rulings on player discipline.

He treats players who are cons, ex-cons, and charged with felonies BETTER than players who are not charged with crimes.

Djfan
02-05-2011, 04:18 PM

He covered up SpyGate.

He treats players who are cons, ex-cons, and charged with felonies BETTER than players who are not charged with crimes.

He handled Ben's situation wrongly, he ignores the bad reffing situation, he is in love with taking home games into Europe, he changed the AFC and NFC Championship trophies.....

ScoreKeeper
02-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Says someone with a very clouded view.

Deeerrrr....It's not layed out in front of me and I can't comprehend s hit....deeerrrr.

feltdizz
02-05-2011, 04:22 PM

He covered up SpyGate.

He should have never destroyed the tapes... but I think anytime tapes are destroyed it looks like a cover up. Didn't they tape over the tapes in GA? Just sayin'

The hitting rules were definitely an over reaction.... but the fans who think their team was targeted is in the SB and benefited from a defenseless hit in the AFCCG.

The game isn't ruined... the fans constant b!tching is starting to ruin it. Just like the constant moaning over the the GA case is ruining this board. :lol:

feltdizz
02-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Says someone with a very clouded view.

Deeerrrr....It's not layed out in front of me and I can't comprehend s hit....deeerrrr.

:roll:

grotonsteel
02-05-2011, 04:25 PM

He covered up SpyGate.

He handled Ben's situation wrongly, he ignores the bad reffing situation, he is in love with taking home games into Europe, he changed the AFC and NFC Championship trophies.....

:Agree

BADall is in a denial mode.

feltdizz
02-05-2011, 04:26 PM

He covered up SpyGate.

the trophies? :lol: :lol:

when he starts changing the size of the field then you may have a point.

The reffing has always been suspect... and what is funny is most fans around the league think WE get all the calls.

Crash
02-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Didn't they tape over the tapes in GA? Just sayin'

The system taped over itself. The local police viewed the tapes and admitted that NOTHING was on them to prove innocence OR guilt.

The tapes were of the main entrance, the main bar, and the dance floor. NOWHERE near the VIP room, hallway, or bathroom.

Stick to facts, not edited versions of them.

Just sayin'

Now Goodell is upset that BB didn't apologize like he supposedly was going too. Okay, if BB violated the terms of an agreement? Fine them again, better yet, suspend him.

But he won't, because he's nothing but Bob Kraft's errand boy.

hawaiiansteel
02-05-2011, 04:29 PM
The reffing has always been suspect... and what is funny is most fans around the league think WE get all the calls.

we did get all the calls the last Super Bowl, just ask any Seahags fan... :D

http://www.steelers12thman.com/steeler7lp.jpg

ScoreKeeper
02-05-2011, 04:31 PM

we did get all the calls the last Super Bowl, just ask any Seahags fan... :D

http://www.steelers12thman.com/steeler7lp.jpg
H ell, according to most "fans", we have not won a game since 95. :lol:

feltdizz
02-05-2011, 04:41 PM

The system taped over itself. The local police viewed the tapes and admitted that NOTHING was on them to prove innocence OR guilt.

The tapes were of the main entrance, the main bar, and the dance floor. NOWHERE near the VIP room, hallway, or bathroom.

Just sayin'

Now Goodell is upset that BB didn't apologize like he supposedly was going too. Okay, if BB violated the terms of an agreement? Fine them again, better yet, suspend him.

Any tapes that are destroyed/taped over without the public getting a chance to see them will be viewed as a cover up.

That is a fact.

ScoreKeeper
02-05-2011, 04:46 PM

Just sayin'

Any tapes that are destroyed/taped over without the public getting a chance to see them will be viewed as a cover up.

That is a fact.
Bud, you don't get it or you read it too fast. There was no video of the areas around the VIP room or the bathroom. The tapes were not covered up or erased; there were no tapes.

And sorry for being a d ick earlier. Just tired of this ****.

Djfan
02-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Changing the trophies is a slap to tradition. It is huge to change tradition.

ScoreKeeper
02-05-2011, 05:12 PM
GODell is trying to change everything little by little.

I hope the players hold out and he looks like an a ss. I would miss half a season to see his a ss fired.

Crash
02-05-2011, 05:18 PM
This was my favorite "Goodell rule":

He changes the Pro Bowl, and then he makes those players playing in the Super Bowl, have to fly to Miami to be eligible to pick up their game checks even though they aren't playing.

So they had to fly to Miami, then fly back to NO and Indy, then fly back to Miami with their teams for the experience of flying on a plane to the Super Bowl.

Real friggin' bright idea there too!

Djfan
02-05-2011, 05:26 PM
GODell is trying to change everything little by little.

I hope the players hold out and he looks like an a ss. I would miss half a season to see his a ss fired.

I completely agree! I really think he is outside the vibes of the fans and the players. I don't get the feeling that all of the owners are on board with him either.