PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stat from Mike & Mike

Djfan
02-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Every play off victory this year has gone to the team with the most running attempts and most running yards.

From a FF point of view, it's easier to run on the Pack than on us.

Interesting.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Every play off victory this year has gone to the team with the most running attempts and most running yards.

From a FF point of view, it's easier to run on the Pack than on us.

Interesting.

Wow, what a stat!

I hope we RUTFM EVERY SINGLE PLAY!!!

papillon
02-04-2011, 03:24 PM
I don't know about run up the middle, but I'm hoping the number of rushes on the Steeler stat sheet is somewhere around 30 - 35 attempts. If we see that number, they'll be hoisting #7.

Pappy

ScoreKeeper
02-04-2011, 03:27 PM
I don't know about run up the middle, but I'm hoping the number of rushes on the Steeler stat sheet is somewhere around 30 - 35 attempts. If we see that number, they'll be hoisting #7.

Pappy
I have to disagree Pappy. If we see that amount of runs, we're toast. This team is driven by Ben and the pass. In the past the run used to set up the pass. Now it's the opposite.

NW Steeler
02-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Everyone is talking about the QB's in this game. No one is talking about Mendenhall. For that reason, someone other than those two will end up surprising everyone. I think that his speed and balance will be HUGE in this game. Over 100 rushing and over 50 receiving. Rashard Mendenhall, SB XLV MVP!!

:tt2

papillon
02-04-2011, 03:41 PM

Pappy
I have to disagree Pappy. If we see that amount of runs, we're toast. This team is driven by Ben and the pass. In the past the run used to set up the pass. Now it's the opposite.

With Ben's YPA, the Steelers don't need the volume of passing attempts other teams do. If the Steelers can rush the ball 30-35 times out of approximately 60 snaps they win this game going away, because, those rushes will be in the 4th quarter as they milk the clock. Ben can do more with 25 attempts than any quarterback in the league.

The team is driven by the pass and Ben, but he doesn't need 35 attempts to get things done. If Mendy gets 23 rushes, Redman gets his 5 and Moore gets his 7, the Steeler offense is dictating this game and Ben had a big day.

Pappy

Steelgal
02-04-2011, 04:22 PM

Pappy

The more we run it successfully, the longer that Rodgers sits on the sidelines. The more we run it, the less of a pounding hopefully Ben takes during the game.

Ben will still get his shots to take it down the field, but you need to be able and control the clock during the game.

StarSpangledSteeler
02-04-2011, 04:57 PM

Pappy

The more we run it successfully, the longer that Rodgers sits on the sidelines. The more we run it, the less of a pounding hopefully Ben takes during the game.

Ben will still get his shots to take it down the field, but you need to be able and control the clock during the game.

Agreed. See, i believe that's the whole point of this stat. It's not saying that rushing the ball wins, it's saying that possessing the ball wins. A "shorter" game (less possessions by both teams) favors the steelers. High rushing totals also allow Ben to go play action where his rating is much higher. It also limits turnovers which is perhaps the most important stat in all of football. And I believe it helps in red zone TD efficiency which is another crucial stat.

ScoreKeeper
02-04-2011, 05:13 PM

Pappy

Yes, but, Mendy is usually good for one break out run a game, save the Jets game where he was steller. So if he breaks a 40 yarder and then has 30 carries that average 2 YDs per, that is not good.

The better outlook is Ben tosses 26-30 times and we run it 20-25 times. Then we have the ball in the play makers hands for the majority of the time.

I would love to see Mendy take us on his back and average 4 yards a carry with 25 packs but I think that is unlikely considering their d-line that is playing better now than at any point of the season.

Ben needs to be Ben. My wish is they come out like against the Colts in 05, use Heath, use the short passes to neutralize the blize, and then look at Wallace and Brown deep.

papillon
02-04-2011, 06:01 PM

Pappy

Yes, but, Mendy is usually good for one break out run a game, save the Jets game where he was steller. So if he breaks a 40 yarder and then has 30 carries that average 2 YDs per, that is not good.

The better outlook is Ben tosses 26-30 times and we run it 20-25 times. Then we have the ball in the play makers hands for the majority of the time.

I would love to see Mendy take us on his back and average 4 yards a carry with 25 packs but I think that is unlikely considering their d-line that is playing better now than at any point of the season.

Ben needs to be Ben. My wish is they come out like against the Colts in 05, use Heath, use the short passes to neutralize the blize, and then look at Wallace and Brown deep.

Don't fall for the his average is skewed because he had one 40 yard run and 29 two yard runs. If the Steelers can run the ball 30 - 35 times that eats clock, it keeps the ball in our play makers hands in manageable situations and that's a good situation for the big play.

Thirty to thirty-five rushes is a good thing in this game, don't let anyone kid you about that. They will come out like they did against the Colts and put the ball in Ben's hands to start the game and use Mendy after the pass has set up the run. Late in the game (if all goes well) the ball is in Mendy's hands and Ben converts 3rds because the run set up the pass.

Rushing the ball is not an evil play. :P

Pappy

feltdizz
02-04-2011, 06:34 PM
We have to run the ball just as much as we run it every other game. It's crazy talk to think 35 rushes takes Ben out of his game. Ben will get more then enough attempts to put up numbers and points. Controlling the flow of the game and punishing the D with the rush is the difference IMO.

Its not 2005. This isn't the Colts and it isn't a game we are expected to lose. Teams expect the pass and GB knows better than anyone how deadly Ben is.

flippy
02-04-2011, 06:50 PM
This is a silly stat to a degree.

If it was a leading indicator, teams would run on every single play.

But it's usually a trailing indicator, just indicating one team is running out the clock better than the other.

Bottom line, get turnovers, create big plays, and prevent big plays. That's the formula for winning. Running typically prevents turnovers, helps set up play action, and keeps the other team off the field. So it's important to commit to the run (unless you're NE playing Pittsburgh). But it's not the be all end all. Just a small component of the game to set up the rest of your gameplan.

skyhawk
02-04-2011, 10:25 PM
If Mendy gets the MVP, then Ben can kiss his HOF candidacy goodbye. :stirpot

skyhawk
02-04-2011, 10:28 PM
I really hope that Mendy and Arians can come up with some misdirection and some cut-back plays. The packers LBs are really aggressive and I think they can get burned overpursuing, similar to how Curtis Martin used to torch an overly aggressive Steeler D by cutting back against the grain.