PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey overlooked: "Fat People Don't Get ROY in NFL ..."

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Also, Ben sticking up for Tomlin ...

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011 ... mode=print (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/03/injured-steeler-is-overlooked-for-rookie-of-year/?pagemode=print)

The Fifth Down - The New York Times N.F.L. Blog
February 3, 2011, 11:49 pm
Injured Steeler Is Overlooked for Rookie of Year
By KAREN CROUSE

Are plus-size rookies invisible in the N.F.L.? The Pittsburgh Steelers’ starting center, Maurkice Pouncey, was described by his coach, Mike Tomlin, as the best first-year player he has ever been around.

“His contributions to this football team have been nothing short of miraculous,” Tomlin said Thursday.

Yet Pouncey was overlooked in the rookie of the year voting; Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh won. Pouncey was not even a finalist; the others were St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, Cleveland Browns cornerback Joe Haden, New England Patriots cornerback Devin McCourty and Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Mike Williams.

“Rookie of the year goes to skinny people,” Ryan Clark, a veteran safety for the Steelers, said with a shrug.

Pouncey, who carries 304 pounds on his 6-foot-4 frame, has started every game and was responsible for many of the protection calls made at the line of scrimmage. “He’s extremely talented,” Tomlin said, “but more importantly than that, he has unbelievable football character. This guy loves what is seemingly drudgery for others.”

Tomlin knows how it feels to be overlooked. He guided the Steelers to a 3-1 start without their franchise quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, who was serving a league-mandated suspension. Mike McCarthy guided the Packers to the N.F.C. championship despite having 15 players on the injured reserve.

And yet neither Tomlin nor McCarthy received a vote for the coach of the year. The Patriots’ Bill Belichick won with 30 of the 50 votes from a national panel of members of the news media.

Roethlisberger said, “I knew that Coach Tomlin wasn’t in the talk for coach of the year, which is kind of a snub, I guess.”

Pouncey, who is questionable because of an ankle injury that has prevented him from practicing this week, said not winning the rookie award was no big deal.

“We are in the Super Bowl,” he said. “They can have the rookie of the year.”

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Well, Suh did win ROY so we can't say that fat people don't win it.

RussBII
02-04-2011, 10:59 AM

I'm not sure i'd call DonkeyKong Suh fat... at least not where he can hear you...

Oviedo
02-04-2011, 11:07 AM

Suh deserved it. He was a dominant, team chanigng player. The guy is a beast.

aggiebones
02-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Geez, dumb argument. While I agree OL are less likely to win, unless there's no offensive stat players, Suh did win.
He was devastating and does deserve it. He may be raising Detroit ala Joe Greene by will to win. Its still early, but he is a mofo.

I would have loved to see Pouncey versus Suh. Just to see, but Suh is the winner. Can't complain about that.