PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Warner piles on Ben, Florio defends Ben: HOF chatter

SteelCrazy
02-04-2011, 02:30 AM
With the annual Hall of Fame vote coming up on Saturday and increased chatter that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will nail down a spot in Canton with a third Super Bowl win, a guy who won only one title in three tries takes issue with the idea that Roethlisberger belongs among the game’s immortals.

Former Rams, Giants, and Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner says it’s too early to bang out a bronze bust for Big Ben.

“I like Ben,” Warner told 620 KTAR in Phoenix. “I think Ben’s great and I think he’s a winner. And to me that speaks volumes for your legacy. But when you’re talking about the best quarterbacks in the league, you have to look at all the factors here.

“I mean, he won a Super Bowl and he was 8-23. But he won the Super Bowl and he gets that on his resume. But he was still 8-23.”

Warner is referring to Super Bowl XL, in which Roethlisberger completed nine of 21 passes for 123 yards and two interceptions. He also had seven rushing attempts for 25 yards and a touchdown.

In Super Bowl XLIII against Warner’s Cardinals, Roethlisberger completed 21 of 30 passes for 256 yards, one interception, and the game-winning touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes.

“I’m just waiting to see Ben as the guy that carries his team at some point in time,” Warner said. “The fortunate thing for him is he hasn’t had to do that. He carries them in the last two minutes. He makes some key plays. [He's] phenomenal out of the pocket and ad-libbing. But for me, if you go to the Hall of Fame, you have to be a guy who can carry your team week in and week out as a quarterback. That’s my opinion.”

Sorry, but we’d rather have a guy who carries the team when it counts than when the game isn’t on the line. Even though Roethlisberger may not have had impressive numbers in Super Bowl XL, he presided over three straight road playoff wins to get there. In each of this year’s playoff wins, Roethlisberger delivered clutch third-down throws to Antonio Brown, including a 58-yarder on third-and-19 that, if the Steelers beat the Packers on Sunday, rightly should be remembered as one of the biggest plays in NFL postseason history.

Then there’s the fact that, since losing in the AFC title game to cap his rookie season, Roethlisberger has led the Steelers to nine of 10 win in postseason games

Nine of 10. Warner didn’t do that. Brady hasn’t done that. Manning hasn’t done that.

So while we respect Warner’s opinion, we’ll disagree with it. If Roethlisberger gets his third Super Bowl win in three tries, he’ll be bound for Canton five years after calling it quits.

Especially since he may end up with four or five rings.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... famer-yet/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/04/kurt-warner-says-roethlisberger-not-a-hall-of-famer-yet/)

Crash
02-04-2011, 02:42 AM
Warner should talk. He had 6 good years out of 12. LOL

Chadman
02-04-2011, 02:43 AM
Florio defending Ben?

Crap, Hell just froze over...

Chachi
02-04-2011, 02:49 AM
He(Ben) carries them in the last two minutes.

The difference between the lovers and the haters of Ben?

The Haters look at the first 58 minutes.

The Lovers look at the last 2 minutes.

skyhawk
02-04-2011, 02:55 AM
“I’m just waiting to see Ben as the guy that carries his team at some point in time,” Warner said. “The fortunate thing for him is he hasn’t had to do that. He carries them in the last two minutes. He makes some key plays."

Are you frickin kidding me? I guess Warner has only watched Ben play one game.

SidSmythe
02-04-2011, 06:30 AM
Relax people ...people who don't watch the Steelers week in and week out really don't have much to go on.

WARNER is talking about going to the HALL OF FAME, not the PRO BOWL

If Ben loses SUNDAY and never wins another Superbowl again, he won't be a Hall of Famer ...

Ben had a great drive to finish against the Cardinals, but outside of that, every big play that came during his two superbowl appearances were from James Harrison, Randle El and Willie Parker.

I guess at the end of the day, Big Ben Skeptics want to see BEN control an entire Superbowl Game and carry his team to start the Hall of Fame talk

ScoreKeeper
02-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Relax people ...people who don't watch the Steelers week in and week out really don't have much to go on.

If Ben loses SUNDAY and never wins another Superbowl again, he won't be a Hall of Famer ...

Ben had a great drive to finish against the Cardinals, but outside of that, every big play that came during his two superbowl appearances were from James Harrison, Randle El and Willie Parker.

I guess at the end of the day, Big Ben Skeptics want to see BEN control an entire Superbowl Game and carry his team to start the Hall of Fame talk
You mean like Elway did the first time he won a SB, right?

Different rules for different people.

SidSmythe
02-04-2011, 07:40 AM

No, we are talking about BEN, not Elway.

In a day and age where QBs are putting up big numbers, Hall of Fame talk is going to a different level at the QB position.
We are talking HALL OF FAME here

Ben most likely won't put up the mind blowing STATS to earn him Hall of Fame Status ...Manning will probably never win another Superbowl, but his STATS alone will put him in the Hall of Fame.

ALL i'm saying is BEN needs another win to put him in the Hall of Fame

Personally I dont give a crap about all that Hall of Fame garbage, pro bowls, etc. If Ben wins 2 more Superbowls and never gets nominated, oh well.

flippy
02-04-2011, 07:55 AM
They should put a bar in the HOF and seat Ben's bust at one of the stools.

snarky
02-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Yearly post-season passer ratings by SB-winning quarterbacks since Warner won the SB in 1999 (sorted in descending order)

Brees 117
Brady (2004) 109.4
Roethlisberger (2005) 101.7
Warner 100
E. Manning 95.7
Roethlisberger (2008) 91.6
Brady (2003) 84.5
Dilfer 83.7
Johnson 79.9
Brady (2001) 77.3
P. Manning 70.5

So Ben's 'bad' super bowl win he was better week by week in the playoffs than Warner (who operated with a high powered offense). And ben's other super bowl he beat Warner.

So I guess Kurt is saying he doesn't belong in the Hall either.

Scarletfire1970
02-04-2011, 08:25 AM

If they don't watch the Steelers week in and week out, then they shouldn't be commenting on them at all.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Florio defending Ben?

I did receive a text message from a coworker that flew into Dallas on Wednesday that said there is an inch of ice over everything in Dallas......Just Sayin'! LOL!

:tt1

fezziwig
02-04-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm surprised that Warner could even speak with all those sour grapes in his mouth.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Florio defending Ben?

I did receive a text message from a coworker that flew into Dallas on Wednesday that said there is an inch of ice over everything in Dallas......Just Sayin'! LOL!

:tt1

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is pretty funny!

We're in San Antonio, about 5 hours south. ALL our roads are closed today, we got a dusting of ice and snow, which is basically unheard of down here. EVERYTHING is shut down, basically for 2 reasons: 1) People are clueless about how to drive in this stuff, they might as well be Polynesian canoe people for how (un-)skillful they are at driving in this stuff; and 2) There are ZERO $ budgeted by cities and towns for this stuff - NO sanders, salters, plows etc.

We are going to warm up by this afternoon - meltage predicted then - Dallas hopefully will thaw out soon too.

Hope SN1 does OK driving down!!

RKSteel
02-04-2011, 10:54 AM

In a day and age where QBs are putting up big numbers, Hall of Fame talk is going to a different level at the QB position.

Ben most likely won't put up the mind blowing STATS to earn him Hall of Fame Status ...Manning will probably never win another Superbowl, but his STATS alone will put him in the Hall of Fame.

Personally I dont give a crap about all that Hall of Fame garbage, pro bowls, etc. If Ben wins 2 more Superbowls and never gets nominated, oh well.
What were Aikman's career numbers? 3 SB and he is in the HOF. If I remember correctly he wasn't a stat QB like PManning is, plus he had one of the best RBs and some pretty good defenses. So he didn't have to carry his team.

snarky
02-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Another interesting tidbit is that Kurt Warner is #7 all-time in career passer rating. Ben is way down at #8. Warner's rating is a massive 1.2 points above Ben's.

Oh and passer rating doesn't include fumbles. Warner had 0.816 per game while Ben has had 0.45 per game.

Oh and between th3 2001 and 2008 seasons, Kurt Warner did not have a single winning season and was 13-29 as a starter. Ben already has more playoff wins that KW had in his career and is only seven wins short of Warner's career regular season total.

So WTF is he talking about winning. I have always hated this guy -- so at least my opinion hasn't changed.

aggiebones
02-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Florio defending Ben?

You have seen Dallas, right?

As for Big Ben, he is no guarantee to get in with 2 rings.
Plunkett is not in yet either. Say all you want and barter your bias anyway you can, but until Plunkett gets in, there's no 2 ring guarantee.

He will have to get past his rape allegation and his small part in '05. Its just fact that people may have a bias against him. He may DESERVE to be in, but people vote, not God. But I do think another SB with a decent performance he's in for sure, even if he craps out the rest of the way.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-04-2011, 11:42 AM

What were Aikman's career numbers? 3 SB and he is in the HOF. If I remember correctly he wasn't a stat QB like PManning is, plus he had one of the best RBs and some pretty good defenses. So he didn't have to carry his team.

And easily the greatest OL of the era. Why does that rarely get mentioned when Ben is discussed? Sean Mahan was the starting C on a SB winning team.....do any of the experts understand how much of an accomplishment that alone was for Ben and the rest of the team?

papillon
02-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Warner doesn't belong in the HOF in my opinion. Longevity is on his side and with longevity you rack up numbers. Warner is a great story with the whole bagging groceries to Super Bowl thing, being a great person and a good career, but I don't believe he belongs in the HOF.

On the other hand, if Ben's career came to an end today, I wouldn't vote him in either, you need longevity, wins (regular season and post season) and good numbers. I don't think Ben's been around long enough to put him in right now, even with his record and titles.

Winning the third Super Bowl Sunday probably would get him in right now if his career ended prematurely. If he continues to win at the rat e he is winning now for 5-6 more years he'll be a no brainer.

Pappy

Mister Pittsburgh
02-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Florio defending Ben?

You have seen Dallas, right?

As for Big Ben, he is no guarantee to get in with 2 rings.
Plunkett is not in yet either. Say all you want and barter your bias anyway you can, but until Plunkett gets in, there's no 2 ring guarantee.

He will have to get past his rape allegation and his small part in '05. Its just fact that people may have a bias against him. He may DESERVE to be in, but people vote, not God. But I do think another SB with a decent performance he's in for sure, even if he craps out the rest of the way.

Not sure his off the field endeavors can be counted. Irvin was accused of the same things, if not worse. He had a substance abuse issue on top of assault allegations.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Would have been nice if someone would have asked....."To put this into perspective Kurt, are you a HOFer?"

ikestops85
02-04-2011, 11:52 AM
And easily the greatest OL of the era. Why does that rarely get mentioned when Ben is discussed? Sean Mahan was the starting C on a SB winning team.....do any of the experts understand how much of an accomplishment that alone was for Ben and the rest of the team?

No, Mahan wasn't a starting center on any SB team. Hartings was the center in 2005 and Hartwig the center in 2008. Although Hartwig was almost as bad.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-04-2011, 11:58 AM

No, Mahan wasn't a starting center on any SB team. Hartings was the center in 2005 and Hartwig the center in 2008. Although Hartwig was almost as bad.

True and true....my mistake. :oops:

aggiebones
02-04-2011, 12:31 PM
[quote="papillon"]Warner doesn't belong in the HOF in my opinion. Longevity is on his side and with longevity you rack up numbers. Warner is a great story with the whole bagging groceries to Super Bowl thing, being a great person and a good career, but I don't believe he belongs in the HOF.

Come on, really?

He's been in 3 Super Bowls with 2 different teams and has ALL 3 top passing days. Longevity? He was only in the league 11 years. Doesn't matter the ages.
11 years, 3 Super Bowls and 1 win with MVP.
His team completely collapsed on his retirement day.

He walks in to the Hall on day 1 at minimum on the 3 top passing days in SB history.
He also has numerous all-pro, pro bowl stuff.
His lack of longevity hurts him actually. He missed alot of games. But he's got enough games and success in those games.
Maybe they do make him wait a couple seasons, but that's it.

Iron Shiek
02-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Warner doesn't belong in the HOF in my opinion. Longevity is on his side and with longevity you rack up numbers. Warner is a great story with the whole bagging groceries to Super Bowl thing, being a great person and a good career, but I don't believe he belongs in the HOF.

Come on, really?

He's been in 3 Super Bowls with 2 different teams and has ALL 3 top passing days. Longevity? He was only in the league 11 years. Doesn't matter the ages.

He walks in to the Hall on day 1 at minimum on the 3 top passing days in SB history.
His lack of longevity hurts him actually. He missed alot of games. But he's got enough games and success in those games.

Using Warner's dumb logic, he didn't carry his team since they lost 2 of the 3 top passing SB games.

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2011, 01:18 PM
All of this talk about who deserves to walk in the Hall of Fame as soon as he is eligible means absolutely nothing while Dermontti Dawson is on the outside looking in. All of the best qualities of HOF'er Mike Webster combined with all of the best qualities of HOF'er Dwight Stevenson were combined together in the body of one Dermontti Dawson. Hopefully justice is served on Saturday, and Dirt gets the call, but I'm not holding my breath for these voters to enshrine the best center of all time when there are more QB's, RB's, and WR's to consider instead!

ScoreKeeper
02-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Would have been nice if someone would have asked....."To put this into perspective Kurt, are you a HOFer?"
Funny you should ask that. Kurt was the Fan in NY the other day (tues I believe) and when asked he said he should be. He said his career needs judged on a different platform because he took two teams to the SB and did bounce to a few teams. He came off as a pompus a sshole.

snarky
02-04-2011, 01:51 PM
He came off as a pompus a sshole.

Exactly. Why anybody likes this idiot is beyond me.

Crash
02-04-2011, 02:50 PM

History proves that to be incorrect.

EVERY ELIGIBLE QB who has started at least three SBs is in the HOF regardless of number of rings won.

So Ben torching the Cards for an early 10-0 lead didn't happen? The first two drives he was dominant. They only had the ball four times in the entire first half and scored 10 points. That's not bad at all.

Crash
02-04-2011, 02:55 PM
If Ben doesn't have the longevity how does Warner? Just because he was on a roster for 6 seasons when he sucked out of his 12 doesn't give him longevity.

2002-2006 Kurt Warner was a nobody. He also did squat in 1998.

So his HOF "resume" is six solid seasons.

Just like Ben has NOW, out of seven years.

papillon
02-04-2011, 03:12 PM

Come on, really?

So, you'll put Warner in the HOF on first ballot for having 6 good years? 1999 - 2001 and 2007 - 2009, the other 6 years of his career he didn't make it through the season or didn't start the season as the starting quarterback. He's been in

Warner's numbers, wins and titles are impressive in those 6 years, but it's not enough to put him in the HOF in my opinion. For the same reason that Ben wouldn't go in right now, not a big enough body of work. Ben needs 3-4 more years of numbers, wins and playoff appearances to be put in the HOF, of course, a third title could change that and rightfully so. The HOF rewards titles (Bradshaw, numbers aren't great) and good to great performance over an extended period of time (take your pick here, there are too many to list)

The HOF is for the greatest players in history. Having good to great numbers 6 out 12 years and pedestrian number 6 out of 12 years doesn't seem to deserve HOF entrance to me. Warner was a good player and great at times, but I just don't think he's HOF worthy.

In general I think too many players are getting into the HOF.

Pappy

ScoreKeeper
02-04-2011, 03:17 PM
I just heard on the Fan that someone called a radio show in AZ and said Ben was a HOF QB and this d ick Warner took the time to call in, not them call him, but he called them, to continue to put down Ben.

Talk about a d ouche with issues. :Hater :lol:

Crash
02-04-2011, 03:27 PM
My tweet to Warner last night. :)

@kurt13warner..Don't be bitter, if Ben isn't a HOF-er neither are you. You STUNK from 2002 to 2006. You had 6 good years out of 12. #NFL

ScoreKeeper
02-04-2011, 03:29 PM
I don't tweet but I will if I can tweet him a brick upside the ignorant head.

Is there an app for that?

Crash
02-04-2011, 03:31 PM
I think you have to sign up. :)

papillon
02-04-2011, 03:34 PM
I don't tweet but I will if I can tweet him a brick upside the ignorant head.

Is there an app for that?

http://stillernation.com/phpbb/images/smilies/rofl.gif

It's a free app with every iPhone purchase. :tt2

Pappy

snarky
02-04-2011, 04:10 PM
I just heard on the Fan that someone called a radio show in AZ and said Ben was a HOF QB and this d ick Warner took the time to call in, not them call him, but he called them, to continue to put down Ben.

My loathing for this guy is maxed out. What an ass.

fezziwig
02-04-2011, 04:54 PM
There's an old saying, " one game is not a career made. " Why doesn't that extend to the guys that have some time under their belt ?
You'll see a rookie/player come into the league and just play lights out for one or two games or even a season but then, never have a career that amounts to much. Then they quote the phrase, " one game/season is not a career made. '

WTF then, are they applying this to Ben ? Ben has had many great games and especially in the playoffs but, they act like his less than average stats in SB 40 defines his career.

Okay, his stats were not great that game but he ran for a TD, can't remember how many first downs he ran for along with throwing Hines a nice first down pass and that huge pass that got Hines near the endzone.

There isn't a franchise or team that would turn down Ben if they could pick him up or could have drafted him realizing the talent this guy has.

Warner and his mommywife are both off the wall.

ScoreKeeper
02-04-2011, 05:02 PM
The hate for Ben, and the Steelers as a whole comes from jealousy. We win. We have the greatest fan base in the nation. People get tired of always turning around and seeing a Steeler fan. It's makes them ache with the "I want to be a part of that" syndrome.

Ben will never get his due and it has nothing to do with his off field, supposed, actions. This crap was happening before any of that started. Remember, he was just a game manager? And that was the furthest thing from the truth.

I take the hate as a badge of honor. The more yinz hate, the more rings we'll win. :tt2

fezziwig
02-04-2011, 05:21 PM

My loathing for this guy is maxed out. What an bad word.

I too was floored that Warner called in like some fan to cry about Ben.

Warners mommywife did the same stuff when Kurt was a QB. She would call sport shows to stick up for her hubbyson.

All the crying and biitching means our Steelers and our cheering Steeler nation gets to them.

ScoreKeeper
02-04-2011, 05:55 PM

My loathing for this guy is maxed out. What an bad word.

I too was floored that Warner called in like some fan to cry about Ben.

Warners mommywife did the same stuff when Kurt was a QB. She would call sport shows to stick up for her hubbyson.

All the crying and biitching means our Steelers and our cheering Steeler nation gets to them.
Yeah, he got in a bit of s hit because Butch was calling radio shows.

Forgot about that.

Sugar
02-04-2011, 08:07 PM
I find it suspicious that Kurt would actually call a radio station to rip Ben or anybody else. He has always been a class act.

That said, I think both guys are HOF QB's right this minute. Ben can only add to his legacy right now and Kurt's enshrinement should be coming soon.

Dee Dub
02-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Yes Troy Aikman never carried the Cowboys at any time. 6 season he threw for under 60% completion percentage and only once did he ever throw for more than 20 TD's in one season (23 to be exact). And he is a clear cut Hall of Famer.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... kmTr00.htm (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AikmTr00.htm)

Wonder what Kurt Warner would have been had he not had Isaac Bruce, Tory Holt, Larry Fitzgerald, and Anquan Boldin? Oh yeah that would be 2004 when he was with the Giants.

Starlifter
02-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Kurt Warner had one great season and 3 great superbowl performances. if that's enough to get in the HOF - then it diminishes those who are there. Of course it's sportswriters who get to vote so............

Crash
02-05-2011, 12:31 AM
Kurt Warner had one great season and 3 great superbowl performances.

I don't agree with that. The first one yes. But his last two? His offense did nothing for the first 45 minutes of both and he threw 2 pick 6's in each game.

Starlifter
02-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Kurt Warner had one great season and 3 great superbowl performances.

I don't agree with that. The first one yes. But his last two? His offense did nothing for the first 45 minutes of both and he threw 2 pick 6's in each game.

that's true but c'mon crash - you know how stats work in this league! he threw for like 14,000 yards in 3 games. it doesn't matter about the picks or the fact he actually LOST 2 super bowls - it's about the yards baby!! that's how peyton is top 10 NFL of all time! when you can't seal the deal, apologists will look for other ways to prove their point.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-05-2011, 01:51 AM
Let's see if I remember SB XLIII correctly.

Steelers held the future HOFer Warner to 7 points in the first half and also scored a defensive TD - for a net effect of zero. He had 132 yards passing in the first half against a D that (as I'm learning more and more) sells out to stop the run and is vulnerable to the pass. Warner had two of the top receivers in the game at his disposal.

He had put up an incredible 7 points through 3 quarters when the Steelers went into a defensive shell. By the time the game is over, the great one puts up 21 points in total (2 points on a safety for the D) and gives up a pick 6 for a net of 14. But, he did throw for 377 yards so he must have had one of the greatest games for a QB in SB history. :roll:

Flasteel
02-05-2011, 01:53 AM
I heard the conversation about the Hall of Fame and I've heard other not-so-flattering comments Warner has made about Ben in the past.

That said, I just heard him say that in a close game, he likes Big Ben and his ability to make big plays down the stretch.

I guess I don't understand all the hate being heaped on the guy.