PDA

View Full Version : Woodley talks franchise tag

Crash
02-03-2011, 08:00 PM
LaMarr Woodley fine with the franchise tag
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 3, 2011, 5:59 PM EST

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/lamarrwoodley.jpg

The NFL and players’ union are doing battle over the franchise tag, with the league office saying the franchise tag can be used starting next week, and the union disputing that claim.

That could make the existence of the franchise tag a key sticking point between the two sides, even though the franchise tag is only used on maybe 1-2 percent of all the free agents in a given year. And even though one of the free agents who could get franchised this year, Pittsburgh’s LaMarr Woodley, says he’s fine with it.

“Nah, I wouldn’t be against it at all,” Woodley said. “Whatever happens, happens. Would you like to have a long-term contract? Yeah. But a franchise tag, it doesn’t matter to me.”

Woodley said he hasn’t given a whole lot of thought to the franchise tag.

“I honestly haven’t been thinking about it,” Woodley said. “I’ve just been focusing on where we’re at right now. Eventually things will get taken care of. So I just want to focus on what’s in front of me right now, and that’s going out and winning this football game.”

Although any player would prefer unrestricted free agency over being franchised, the franchise tag isn’t necessarily a bad deal for the players. Woodley seems to understand that.

hawaiiansteel
02-04-2011, 02:15 AM
if I'm not mistaken, without a new CBA Woodley can't be signed to a new long term deal because of the 35% rule and the Steelers would be unable to tag him after March when the current CBA expires.

a franchise tag would then be the only way the Steelers could hold on to Woodley until a new CBA is signed...but will the Steelers be willing to cough up the $10 million required to franchise LaMarr?

Chadman
02-04-2011, 02:49 AM
No salaray cap, so why not?

steelblood
02-04-2011, 08:25 AM
No salaray cap, so why not?

If you are willing to commit 10 million to him, why not resign him with an inflated bonus for 3 years. Base salary could fit into the 35% rule and we'd give him a huge bonus (or bonus structure) to make up the rest. In the end, it'd be cheaper than waiting or franchising him. Plus, he'd have some well deserved insurance money from the bonus if there is no season next year. The Steelers could actually use the potential lockout as a bargaining chip, I believe. We'll give you some bonus money now so you have insurance for a lockout. In exchange, we want a very reasonable per year number. Might work.

If we only have one franchise tag, give it to Ike. We can't lose him and I don't love the long term contact prospects with a 31 year old corner.

Oviedo
02-04-2011, 08:59 AM
I think both Woodley and Ike get signed, but Ike is the bigger priority. He is the only top line CB we have on the roster.

Both player just have to be reasonable and fans need to understand that just one year from now we have to clear the cap space to resign Timmons and Troy. IMO, both are also must keep players. That likely means veterans being jettisoned off the roster.

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2011, 11:11 AM
I think both Woodley and Ike get signed, but Ike is the bigger priority. He is the only top line CB we have on the roster.

Both player just have to be reasonable and fans need to understand that just one year from now we have to clear the cap space to resign Timmons and Troy. IMO, both are also must keep players. That likely means veterans being jettisoned off the roster.

I disagree. I think Woodley is the higher priority, because he just turned 26 years old in November, while Ike will turn 31 in May. Corners tend to lose precious speed once they hit their 30's.

Giving Ike a 4 year deal means you'll have a player with significantly reduced skill set by the time that contract ends (a 35 year old corner who is not named Darrell Green is a dinosaur).

On the other hand, giving LaMarr a 4 year deal means that you'll have a player that is still in his prime by the time that contract ends.

I'm not saying that Ike is not important...far from it. I'm just saying that Woodley is more important for the long run. Ike could end up being one of those veterans you have to sacrifice in a couple of years if his skills erode.

aggiebones
02-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Woodley doesn't have the years to be a FA. After the new CBA, he'll still be a restricted FA.

We 'may' be intrigued in riding that wave and let someone else do the bidding. IF he gets a mongo offer, then we also 'may' be intrigued by getting a 1st rounder or whatever you get for him by letting him go.

I'm not saying either way, but we don't know what is going on in the Rooney's heads on this one.
But I doubt they use the franchise tag on him. That may go to Ike. It will be painful but may be the only option to keep him around. He's the only immediate concern we have. There are a few more options for Woodley.

Northern_Blitz
02-04-2011, 11:30 AM
if I'm not mistaken, without a new CBA Woodley can't be signed to a new long term deal because of the 35% rule and the Steelers would be unable to tag him after March when the current CBA expires.

a franchise tag would then be the only way the Steelers could hold on to Woodley until a new CBA is signed...but will the Steelers be willing to cough up the $10 million required to franchise LaMarr?

I don't get the 35% rule or whatever it is.

They can't give him a raise of 35%, but they can give him a franchise tag (might be like 10x what he makes now)?

He'll also be a RFA next season (I think, but who knows how a new deal will shake out). Doesn't that mean that they have the right to match any offer from another team (or get compensation)? Do other teams have the right to offer a larger raise than the Steelers? If they do, can we still match that deal for a RFA?

Oviedo
02-04-2011, 11:48 AM

I disagree. I think Woodley is the higher priority, because he just turned 26 years old in November, while Ike will turn 31 in May. Corners tend to lose precious speed once they hit their 30's.

Giving Ike a 4 year deal means you'll have a player with significantly reduced skill set by the time that contract ends (a 35 year old corner who is not named Darrell Green is a dinosaur).

On the other hand, giving LaMarr a 4 year deal means that you'll have a player that is still in his prime by the time that contract ends.

I'm not saying that Ike is not important...far from it. I'm just saying that Woodley is more important for the long run. Ike could end up being one of those veterans you have to sacrifice in a couple of years if his skills erode.

We can disagree because I think it easier to get a pass rusher than a cover corner. If Ike starts to slip he then becomes your Free Safety following the Rod Woodson model.

But he has probably three years playing at a high level which we desperately need because the cupboard is bare as far as depth at CB. You can't afford to sign a FA CB and we all know it takes 2 years to get someone up to speed in our defense although we have missed with CBs probably worse than we have with the OL. Lose Ike and we have no viable replacement, we can't afford to sign one and a draftee won't get a chance to play in this defense. As I said, I think Ike is essential.

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2011, 12:44 PM
The 30% rule was one of several stipulations for the Final League Year only (the 2010 season) as an impetus for everyone to get to the bargaining table before a lockout became a reality in March of 2011 (that really worked, huh?). Once we hit the Final League Year, then players who would have been UFA's after year 4 now could only be RFA's until after year 6.

But this all changes once the new CBA is reached. The timetable for restricted/unrestricted free agency will have to be collectively bargained into the new agreement, and we have no idea at this point what that will look like. We have no idea what the new salary cap might look like. We have no idea if a franchise tag will even exist under the new deal. That is why there is no free agency until after a new CBA is reached. Teams can't sign free agents. Teams can't trade players for players or players for draft picks. Teams can draft players but not sign them. Teams can't even sign undrafted free agent rookies after the draft until a new CBA has been reached.

We really have no idea what the landscape will look like, so any free agent talk at this point is pure 100% speculation on everyone's part (players, owners, GM's, fans...everyone).