PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl officiating crew -- Walt Anderson

PSU_dropout43
02-03-2011, 01:38 PM
NFL names Super Bowl officiating crew
Thursday, February 03, 2011
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

An officiating crew led by referee Walt Anderson has been assigned by the NFL to work Super Bowl XLV between the Steelers and Green Bay Packers at Cowboys Stadium Sunday.

Anderson is in his 15th season as an NFL game official, but has never been the referee in the Super Bowl. He was a line judge in Super Bowl XXXV. He has been a referee since 2003 and has officiated in 13 playoff games.

The other members of the crew for Sunday's game are Chad Brown (umpire), Kent Payne (head linesman), John Hussey (line judge), Doug Rosenbaum (field judge), Mike Weatherford (side judge) and Scott Helverson (back judge).

The crew has a combined 77 years of NFL officiating experience.

Under the NFL officiating program's evaluation system, the highest-rated eligible officials at each position earn the right to work the Super Bowl. Super Bowl officials must have at least five years of NFL experience and previous playoff assignments.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11034/11 ... z1Cv0xbIhj (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11034/1122721-66.stm#ixzz1Cv0xbIhj)

RuthlessBurgher
02-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Chad Brown is the umpire!

http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20061013lf_brown2_230.jpg

:wink:

papillon
02-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I guess they're the least bad based on the their reviews of this past season. :P

Pappy

Iron Shiek
02-03-2011, 02:13 PM
I can't ever remember which referees I hate (usually all of them, but I know Hochuli for sure). After doing a google image search of Walt Anderson, I kept seeing the image below pop up numerous times. All I could think was that he must suck based on the way Big Ben is seemingly berating him with expletives and looks as if he's ready to apply some type of Mortal Kombat finishing move on him. Great...

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0f259GV7ZZaaE/610x.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
02-03-2011, 02:43 PM
He retired from dentistry in 2003 when he was promoted to referee in the NFL.

If he makes some bad calls during the Super Bowl, I hope we don't see anti-Dentite venom rearing its ugly head. :mrgreen:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-03-2011, 03:39 PM

If he makes some bad calls during the Super Bowl, I hope we don't see anti-Dentite venom rearing its ugly head. :mrgreen:

Ha Ha.....newer magazines.......I finally get it!!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-03-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm just happy it is not Corrente (Oakland game)
John Parry (Buffalo game)
Morelli (New Orleans game)
or Gene Steratore (Miami game) - could you imagine all the conspiracy theories if the head of the crew that made that error was officiating the SB? :lol:

Ghost
02-03-2011, 04:17 PM

I bet he became a dentist just to use the jokes!

skyhawk
02-03-2011, 08:59 PM
This just might be the bizzarro SB XL. Seahawks fans rejoice! :roll:

Iron Shiek
02-03-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm just happy it is not Corrente (Oakland game)
or Gene Steratore (Miami game) - could you imagine all the conspiracy theories if the head of the crew that made that error was officiating the SB? :lol:

Speaking of Steratore, he's freaking officiating the Ohio State v. Michigan BASKETBALL GAME as I type. That is the biggest problem with the NFL officiating situation. Good for him for being multi talented and pursuing work....but really!? I almost fell off the couch when they said Gene Steratore called the Blocking foul on Sullinger before halftime. :x

skyhawk
02-03-2011, 09:13 PM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":15zqint7]I'm just happy it is not Corrente (Oakland game)

Speaking of Steratore, he's freaking officiating the Ohio State v. Michigan BASKETBALL GAME as I type. That is the biggest problem with the NFL officiating situation. Good for him for being multi talented and pursuing work....but really!? I almost fell off the couch when they said Gene Steratore called the Blocking foul on Sullinger before halftime. :x[/quote:15zqint7]

Are you F'in serious? Same guy?

Iron Shiek
02-03-2011, 09:40 PM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":2gp08sus]I'm just happy it is not Corrente (Oakland game)

Speaking of Steratore, he's freaking officiating the Ohio State v. Michigan BASKETBALL GAME as I type. That is the biggest problem with the NFL officiating situation. Good for him for being multi talented and pursuing work....but really!? I almost fell off the couch when they said Gene Steratore called the Blocking foul on Sullinger before halftime. :x

Are you F'in serious? Same guy?[/quote:2gp08sus]

I swear. I even googled it. On wikipedia it says he works NCAA games too. THe announcer even alluded to the fact that he's used to having the likes of Andy Reid and other coaches in his ear but not tonight. I couldn't believe it.

skyhawk
02-03-2011, 09:52 PM
[quote="Iron Shiek":v9im43w2][quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":v9im43w2]I'm just happy it is not Corrente (Oakland game)

Are you F'in serious? Same guy?[/quote:v9im43w2]

I swear. I even googled it. On wikipedia it says he works NCAA games too. THe announcer even alluded to the fact that he's used to having the likes of Andy Reid and other coaches in his ear but not tonight. I couldn't believe it.[/quote:v9im43w2]

I think that it's ok to do both in normal circumstances. But during the week before the biggest game in the world? What? What if he gets injured? What if something in a game screws with him mentally?

It's a free world, and I bet there is no such thing in the NFL contract from prohibiting him from doing so. It's how he makes his money.

Iron Shiek
02-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Just to clarify: Steratore is not the official in the Super Bowl. Walt Anderson is. Someone else mentioned Steratore in one of their posts and I saw him reffing basketball tonight and just thought it was crazy. But if he was the SB official that wouldv'e been beyond crazy.

skyhawk
02-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Oops, my bad. I didn't see that part of the post above.

That would be crazy.