PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers’ Achilles heel

hawaiiansteel
02-03-2011, 03:36 AM
Pack can attack Steelers’ Achilles heel

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports

ARLINGTON, Texas – There is a little secret among the NFL’s elite when it comes to playing the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Don’t be afraid to throw.

If you have the talent at wide receiver and quarterback, that’s the way to attack the vaunted Steelers defense. If you’re good enough, not only can you attack that way, you can make the blitz-happy scheme, run by Hall of Famer D!ck LeBeau, look downright average.

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2011/02/ipt/1296670131.jpg?&sig=WstfFnWDVMrhNJdPlVXw6A--

Rodgers had a strong outing against the Packers in 2009.
(Jerry Lai/USP Presswire)

“If you’re willing to sell out on the passing game and just open it up, you can get to them,” one NFC offensive coordinator said. “The key is that you have to react faster than they do. If your receivers and quarterback are too slow with the ball, you’re going to get killed. If not, you can move it against them.”

In eight games over the past five years against quarterbacks who have led their teams to the Super Bowl at some point in that span (including the title game against Kurt Warner(notes) and the Arizona Cardinals), Pittsburgh has allowed opponents to rack up big yards and stats. Among the numbers generated by the likes of Warner, Tom Brady(notes) and Aaron Rodgers(notes) are a 105.7 average quarterback rating, an average of 28.5 points scored, 20 touchdown passes and only two interceptions. Furthermore, the Steelers have lost five of those eight games.

“They’re vulnerable that way,” an AFC head coach said. “Now, you better be on top of what you’re doing because they’ll crush the mistakes. But they’re not really comfortable sitting back in coverage. They want to hit you so much that they won’t be patient.”

The coach paused for a second.

“And, if you can avoid [cornerback Ike] Taylor and [safety Troy] Polamalu, their secondary isn’t very good.”

While it’s easy to understand how any defense would struggle against the likes of Brady, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Rodgers and Eli Manning, the other key in this equation is the receiving corps. All of them were diverse and, with the exception of the New York Giants, able to play four- and five-receiver offenses with regularity. That includes Sunday’s opponent in the Super Bowl, Green Bay, which regularly uses the combination of Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson and James Jones.

In three playoffs games this postseason, that combination has 47 catches for 620 yards and three touchdowns. It’s a group that understands the intrinsic need to help each other.

“Coming in here and learning the offense isn’t the hard part,” said Jones, who has the fewest catches in the group with six, but also leads the quartet in touchdowns with two. “The important thing is getting how it all works together. What one guy does helps the other guy and if you do what you’re supposed to do, you can get that guy open or he can get you open.

“If I’m lined up at plus-3 [three yards outside the numbers], that affects the leverage of the inside receiver and vice versa. … It’s way different than college. In college, you just lined up and ran your route and you didn’t think about the other receivers.”

Said Nelson: “There’s learning the plays and then there’s learning the philosophy of the offense. It’s two different things.”

One of the keys to attacking the Steelers is having at least three receivers to one side of the formation and then moving a receiver before the snap. That usually forces Pittsburgh into more conventional coverages.

From there, the patterns have to be precise and the quarterback’s decisions have to be quick. Receivers can’t afford to be sloppy because it can lead to a sack or some other mistake.

Tom Brady lit up the Steelers in Week 10, one of two wins he’s had over the Steelers since 2006.

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2011/02/ipt/1296681081.jpg

Vulnerable defense

Over the past five seasons, the Steelers have played eight games against quarterbacks who have led their team to a Super Bowl during that same stretch. Here are the results of those games. Excluded is Kurt Warner’s game against the Steelers in 2007, when he entered the contest as a backup:

Season QB Passing Yards TD INT Sacks Results
2010 Tom Brady 30-for-43 350 3 0 0 W 39-26
2010 Drew Brees 34-for-44 305 2 1 2 W 20-10
2009 Aaron Rodgers 26-for-48 383 3 0 1 L 37-36
2008 Kurt Warner 31-for-43 377 3 1 2 L 27-23
2008 Eli Manning 19-for-32 199 1 0 0 W 21-14
2008 Peyton Manning 21-for-40 240 3 0 2 W 24-20
2007 Tom Brady 32-for-46 399 4 0 0 W 34-13
2006 Drew Brees 31-for-47 398 1 0 1 L 38-31

“Against a lot of teams, if a guy isn’t going to be getting the ball, he’ll just chill and not really run his route, which means you can just chill, too,” Steelers cornerback Bryant McFadden said. “The Packers don’t play it that way. They’re always running out their routes.”

Of course, the final part of the equation is the offensive triggerman. The list of quarterbacks who have lit up the Steelers in recent years is short and accomplished. These aren’t schlubs.

In Week 10 of this season, Pittsburgh was picked apart by Brady and New England. Using a variety of four- and five-receiver formations, Brady completed 30 of 43 passes for 350 yards and three touchdowns. Just as important, the Steelers had zero interceptions and zero sacks.

Brady has a long history of picking apart the Steelers, but he is not alone in recent years. Brees, Rodgers and Warner all have put up 300-yard games against Pittsburgh. Moreover, they have all thrown with abandon, each of them attempting at least 40 passes vs. Pittsburgh. In fact, over the eight games the aforementioned six quarterbacks have played against the Steelers, they have averaged 43 pass attempts. Only once has someone thrown fewer than 40 times (Eli Manning with 32 throws in 2008).

If you have the receivers and a quarterback who can react, the fear starts to fade. But don’t get greedy. In contrast to what those quarterbacks have done, San Diego and quarterback Philip Rivers(notes) have struggled against the Steelers during that run, losing three of four games against Pittsburgh, averaging 20.7 points in the three defeats.

“The Chargers are different because they don’t play the same type of offense,” the AFC coach said. “They don’t spread out as much and they’re trying to get vertical too much. Against the Steelers, you have to take the shorter routes and set up the deeper stuff … You’re treating the passing game as if it’s the running game.”

In 2009 against Rodgers, the Steelers allowed Green Bay to complete 26 of 48 passes for 383 yards and three touchdowns, getting zero interceptions and one sack. The Steelers won that game 37-36 when quarterback Ben Roethlisberger(notes) threw for 503 yards.

Rodgers has tried to downplay that game leading up to the Super Bowl. But it’s easy to tell that Rodgers believes there are opportunities.

“We have to be sharp,” Rodgers said. “But if we are, we’re confident.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=j ... lity020211 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-steelersdefensivevulnerability020211)
There’s ample reason for that confidence.

Sonny
02-03-2011, 04:28 AM
Tom Brady lit up the Steelers in Week 10 I'm not big on "good losses" or "getting our asses kicked may have been the best thing to happen to us", but really, this may be the reason we win this year's Super Bowl. Leading up to and including the New England game, we were giving up more than 225 yards per game passing.

Following that game? 165 yards per game, good for #1 in the NFL, with room to spare.

We played the Ravens before the Pats and allowed 250. In the first rematch, we allow 226 and in the second rematch, we allow 91.

We played the Bengals before the Pats and allowed 218 and almost blew the game. In the rematch after the Pats? 156.

Browns before Pats, 258. After? 182.

I mean if it was that easy to just pass pass pass on our D, why doesn't everyone do it? Or at least try the quick passing game? I think "the way to attack the Steelers" is being overhyped SOOOOO much, it would be a shame if LeBeau just, let it happen again. It seems like it happens after everyone is slobbering over our D, talking about how great it is, almost like we forget what our weakness is, and then a guy like Brady comes in and humbles us. Glad it happened then and not now in the Super Bowl. Remember Brady and Gannon back-to-back in 02? We adjusted and THAT didn't happen for a long time.

Just seems like every couple 2, 3 years we need to be humbled as a defense, get everybody talking about how the Steelers' D has been "exposed".

Before this year's Pats game, does anyone remember ANYTHING at all being mentioned about how weak our pass D was and how to attack it? Of course not.

NOW, with our "weakness", "achilles heel", whatever you want to call it being EVERYONE'S reason why we will lose, I have a hard time believing Troy and DL will just sit there and let it happen.

What Rodgers did to us last year means nothing to me because 43 was out. Gradkowski also had a field day against us, big deal.

We don't turn it over on offense and Ben plays like typical playoff Ben, we win.

Scarletfire1970
02-03-2011, 07:48 AM
I don't think you can assume our defense was fixed after the Patriots game. They do that to us all the time. And none of the QBs we have faced since that game are in the same league as Brady, Brees and Rodgers.

We are going to have to outscore GB just like last time. Unfortunately I think their D has improved so it might not be as easy

Oviedo
02-03-2011, 09:26 AM
The article is right on the money and they are totally accurate. It is clear to any Steelers fan who wants to see the truth that our pass defense is weak. Only two chances to win #7 on Sunday:

1. Our offense has to control the ball and time of possession.
2. We have to get to Rodgers and knock him out of the game.

There is no way our secondary can match up to the Packers WRs. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

The Sodfather
02-03-2011, 09:41 AM
I don't know how we ever win a game.

flippy
02-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Watch the recent games. We're playing different. And Troy and Ryan are switching positions.

I'd be more hesitant to throw knowing Troy's roaming the secondary more than before.

That extra hesitation will lead to sacks and turnovers.

And with Troy back there, Dick's less afraid to send Ike, Gay, BMac after the QB.

We've always given up short passing.

What else is new?

Hopefully GB buys into this false premise.

Leper Friend
02-03-2011, 10:26 AM
The article is right on the money and they are totally accurate. It is clear to any Steelers fan who wants to see the truth that our pass defense is weak. Only two chances to win #7 on Sunday:

1. Our offense has to control the ball and time of possession.
2. We have to get to Rodgers and knock him out of the game.

There is no way our secondary can match up to the Packers WRs. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
It's a bad match up for us , it just is. I don't think we have to knock Rogers out , I think the key is Woodley and Harrison winning the one on one match ups. If they can get pressure consistently , we can keep more guys back in coverage.

I'm not buying the Rogers hype just yet. I'm not saying he isn't good , or even that it's not warranted , but I saw him struggle against the Bears and I want to see him against this defense first.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-03-2011, 10:28 AM

Dear Steeler Fan -

That's an easy one!

http://www.steelers12thman.com/steeler7lp.jpg

Signed,

http://www.wildbluedesign.com/images/I-am-the-Walrus.jpg

Northern_Blitz
02-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Quick passing is the way to beat the Steelers.

But it's not easy to do. You have to throw alot (because we generally don't give up big plays), so you're going to have long drives with alot of passing attempts because we generally tackle guys quickly after they catch the ball. That ups the chances for sacks, ints, and incompletions. Mistakes generally lead to punts, and it's hard to put together mistake free long drives that rely on the pass.

It can be done, but it's not easy.

ikestops85
02-03-2011, 01:36 PM

Dear Steeler Fan -

That's an easy one!

http://www.steelers12thman.com/steeler7lp.jpg

Signed,

http://www.wildbluedesign.com/images/I-am-the-Walrus.jpg

LMAO -- bravo SASF. That is f'in funny!! :Clap :Clap :Clap

:tt2

hawaiiansteel
02-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Big-play Packers to test Steelers' secondary

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, February 3, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-02-02/rodgers-a.jpg

Aaron Rodgers
Associated Press

Worth watching
The Steelers' secondary vs. the Green Bay Packers' passing game will be a key matchup Sunday in Super Bowl XLV. But the Steelers' passing game could also give Green Bay problems. Here is a comparison between the teams in big passing plays during the regular season as well as the playoffs.

REGULAR SEASON

Packers offense

Pass plays 20+: 57; 6th (tied) in NFL

Steelers defense

Pass plays 20+: 35; 1st in NFL

REGULAR SEASON

Steelers offense

Pass plays 20+: 62; 2nd (tied) in NFL

Packers defense

Pass plays 20+: 44; 10th (tied) in NFL

POSTSEASON

Packers offense

Pass plays 20+: 15; 1st in NFL

Steelers defense

Pass plays 20+: 3; 4th (tied) in NFL

POSTSEASON

Steelers offense

Pass plays 20+: 4th 5th (tied) in NFL

Packers defense

Pass plays 20+: 10; 12th in NFL

*Postseason ranks out of 12 teams

Source: NFL.com

FORT WORTH, Texas — The Green Bay Packers have watched tape of Super Bowl XLIII.

And it will surprise no one, at least not the Steelers, if they employ the same strategy that the Arizona Cardinals did two years ago while nearly pulling an upset in Tampa.

The Packers figure to spread out the Steelers in Super Bowl XLV and let quarterback Aaron Rodgers and his talented receiving corps work on the NFL's top defense.

The outcome could come down to how well the defense that has prevented big passing plays stops an offense that has made a living off them. "If they play to their strengths," strong safety Troy Polamalu said, "they will do that."

The Steelers' strength is stopping the run, having allowed fewer than 63 rushing yards per game during the regular season.

Packers rookie James Starks has more rushing yards (263) than any player during the postseason. But the statistic that may be most pertinent to how Sunday's game unfolds: the 15 passing plays of 20 or more yards that Green Bay has cranked out during the postseason.

"This is the (Super Bowl) matchup I wanted to see because I think it's the best offense, by far, of the postseason going against the best defense," NFL Network analyst and former Steelers great Rod Woodson said.

The Steelers may be known for their run defense — and they were stingier in the playoffs, yielding just over 52 yards per game in two contests — but they aren't generous when it comes to the passing game.

They allowed 35 pass plays of at least 20 yards during the regular season, fewest in the NFL.

Woodson said the outcome Sunday could be determined by how the defensive backs who play primarily in passing situations perform.

"I think the impact comes from the third and fourth corners on both teams because those guys are going to be the difference-makers," Woodson said. "Can William Gay make some plays? Can (free safety) Ryan Clark cover, because he's going to have to cover somebody?"

Indeed, five Packers caught at least 40 passes during the regular season. Four of them, all wideouts, had more than 500 yards receiving, led by Greg Jennings (1,265 yards and 12 touchdowns).

"I've got five talented guys who I'd match up against any guy in the league," Rodgers said.

The Cardinals had a similar wealth of talent in the passing game two years ago, with Kurt Warner at quarterback and Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin and Steve Breaston split wide. Warner threw for 377 yards and three scores as the Cardinals erased a 10-point halftime deficit before Ben Roethlisberger beat them with a last-minute touchdown pass.

"You have to look at that," Rodgers said, "but also realize that was two years ago. The film we're going to focus on is more the film from this season."

The Packers have probably spent a lot of time studying film from the Steelers' 39-26 loss to the New England Patriots on Nov. 14. Tom Brady passed for 350 yards and three touchdowns at Heinz Field. The Steelers did not sack Brady and rarely put pressure on him.

The Patriots spread out the Steelers, keeping nose tackle Casey Hampton on the sideline for extended stretches.

"We know that is something they could possibly present to us," Steelers cornerback Bryant McFadden said. "One thing about coach (Dick) LeBeau is he has more like a dictionary full of plays, coverages and blitzes. We have more than enough packages."

"If it's a shootout, you have to like Green Bay because they've done it all year," Woodson said. "But if it's a close game, you've got to like the Steelers because they win close games."

Read more: Big-play Packers to test Steelers' secondary - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_721112.html#ixzz1CuyGZjLc

Sonny
02-03-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't know how we ever win a game. I don't know how this juggernaut of a team we are facing lost 6 games.

To the Redskins?

To the Dolphins at home?

To the Lions?

Impressive 2 point win over that same Lions team? 4 point win over a pre-turmoil Vikings team?

The Bears were a fraud all season, making it as far as they did because of a cake schedule and the chance to play a 7-9 team at home in the Divisional round. In 3 games against them the Packers put up 17, 10, and 21 points. I'd like to think our defense is a bit better than the Bears.

They are "OMG OMG OMG" awesome in a dome? They played 4 times in a dome this season. A 7-3 loss to Detroit, a 20-17 loss to Atlanta, and a 31-3 win at Minnesota in the regular season. Now in the playoffs they put up 48 against Atlanta and combine that with the "vaunted" defense of the Cardinals last year allowing them 45, I can see why this Green Bay team is the best dome team to ever play the game? I guess?

Look up Ben's dome stats and you might be surprised.

ScoreKeeper
02-03-2011, 03:26 PM
No s hit. To hear all the crap you would think we were the Bungals or Lions. :roll:

The Sodfather
02-03-2011, 03:31 PM
No s hit. To hear all the crap you would think we were the Bungals or Lions. :roll:

Packers by 40

ScoreKeeper
02-03-2011, 03:34 PM
[quote="The Sodfather":3vzl8nxi]I don't know how we ever win a game.

Packers by 40[/quote:3vzl8nxi]
:Hater

The Sodfather
02-03-2011, 03:36 PM
[quote="The Sodfather":1jdlhdab]I don't know how we ever win a game.

Packers by 40
:Hater[/quote:1jdlhdab]

We'll be lucky to slow them let alone actually stop them.

The only chance we have is giving every member of the secondary AK47s.

ScoreKeeper
02-03-2011, 03:39 PM
[quote=ScoreKeeper][quote="The Sodfather":1swvdt4a]I don't know how we ever win a game.

Packers by 40
:Hater[/quote:1swvdt4a]

We'll be lucky to slow them let alone actually stop them.

The only chance we have is giving every member of the secondary AK47s.[/quote:1swvdt4a]
Then I guess we're lucky they are no longer banned under the Brady Bill. :tt2

The Sodfather
02-03-2011, 03:42 PM

Unfortunately Goodell and his Gestapo trump the Brady bill.

ScoreKeeper
02-03-2011, 03:50 PM

Unfortunately Goodell and his Gestapo trump the Brady bill.
He did with Tank Jhonson. Told him if he ever bought another gun, he would be kicked out of the league. GODell trumps the Constitution.

SteelTorch
02-03-2011, 04:54 PM
I have no idea how people go by claiming our pass defense sucks and our secondary is among the worst. First off, Troy P and Ike Taylor constitute half of our starting DB corps. You to include them in the equation, regardless of what you might think. Secondly, maybe in 2009 our pass defense was an "Achilles heel", but it's been far from weak this year.

I think the problem is people make blind generalizations without actually looking up the facts. :roll:

Oviedo
02-03-2011, 05:00 PM
I have no idea how people go by claiming our pass defense sucks and our secondary is among the worst. First off, Troy P and Ike Taylor constitute half of our starting DB corps. You to include them in the equation, regardless of what you might think. Secondly, maybe in 2009 our pass defense was an "Achilles heel", but it's been far from weak this year.

I think the problem is people make blind generalizations without actually looking up the facts. :roll:

Did you watch the New Orleans and New England games?

Troy and Ike may be elite but like you said they are only 50%. The other 50% can't cover man to man, so that is like going into a fight with your arm tied behind your back. And God forbid Bmac goes out again and Madison actually plays.

I have not given up hope but unless our offense controls the ball and we repeatedly get to Rodgers it is hard to imagine the defense stopping their passing game. Especially if LeBeau starts to drop LBs into coverage which means Rodgers gets all day to throw the ball.

SteelTorch
02-03-2011, 05:08 PM

Troy and Ike may be elite but like you said they are only 50%. The other 50% can't cover man to man, so that is like going into a fight with your arm tied behind your back. And God forbid Bmac goes out again and Madison actually plays.

I have not given up hope but unless our offense controls the ball and we repeatedly get to Rodgers it is hard to imagine the defense stopping their passing game. Especially if LeBeau starts to drop LBs into coverage which means Rodgers gets all day to throw the ball.
2 games out of 16 = 1/8 of the regular season. I fail to see how two games against elite quarterbacks, one of whom seems to always do well against our D, constitutes the entire season. And there were numerous times where the pass D helped win a game for us. IMO, it has been average at worst this season.

I'm not saying they don't have issues. But they're not the liability they were in 2009.

Oviedo
02-03-2011, 05:11 PM

2 games out of 16 = 1/8 of the regular season. I fail to see how two games against elite quarterbacks, one of whom seems to always do well against our D, constitutes the entire season. And there were numerous times where the pass D helped win a game for us. IMO, the it has been average at worst this season.

Common denominators:

1. QBs who get rid of the ball quickly--nulifies the pass rush
2. Teams that don't need to run to win
3. Teams that can put 4-5 top quality WRs on the field at the same time.

The issue is that those are the two teams with an offense that most resembles the Packers offense so 2 out of 18 in that case is relavent.

ScoreKeeper
02-03-2011, 05:25 PM

They never played press man to man, they played that weak a ss zone. Since the NE game, we have played more aggressive with our corners.

ScoreKeeper
02-03-2011, 05:29 PM

2 games out of 16 = 1/8 of the regular season. I fail to see how two games against elite quarterbacks, one of whom seems to always do well against our D, constitutes the entire season. And there were numerous times where the pass D helped win a game for us. IMO, the it has been average at worst this season.

Common denominators:

1. QBs who get rid of the ball quickly--nulifies the pass rush
2. Teams that don't need to run to win
3. Teams that can put 4-5 top quality WRs on the field at the same time.

The issue is that those are the two teams with an offense that most resembles the Packers offense so 2 out of 18 in that case is relavent.
On your number 1. Brady gets rid of the ball very fast but when you jam his WR's and bring pressure he gets rattled because the timing is thrown off.

However, that don't mean jack in this game as Rogers is a lot like Ben in that he can operate out side the box. He does not rely solely on timing and neither does Ben.

You need to press his WR's at the line, make him more, and give your very fast LB's a chance to get him.

RuthlessBurgher
02-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Everyone know that Ben is a guy who "holds the ball too long and takes too many sacks."
Since when is Rodgers a guy that who gets rid of the ball quickly and nullifies a pass rush?

Rodgers was sacked 31 times this season.
Roethlisberger was sacked 32 times this season.

Rodgers was sacked 50 times last season.
Roethlisberger was sacked 50 times last season.

Rodgers was sacked 34 times the season before that.
Roethlisberger was sacked 46 times the season before that.

ScoreKeeper
02-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Everyone know that Ben is a guy who "holds the ball too long and takes too many sacks."
Since when is Rodgers a guy that who gets rid of the ball quickly and nullifies a pass rush?

Rodgers was sacked 31 times this season.
Roethlisberger was sacked 32 times this season.

Rodgers was sacked 50 times last season.
Roethlisberger was sacked 50 times last season.

Rodgers was sacked 34 times the season before that.
Roethlisberger was sacked 46 times the season before that.
Like I said, he is very much like Ben.

Just not as good. :tt2

JHsilverback
02-03-2011, 07:04 PM
New England has very talented tightends which were a key in the Pats game. Green Bay on the other hand has Andrew Quarless who tends to make mental mistakes along with dropping passes at times. I've seen him since his days at PSU and I'd bet that he makes a couple of mistakes in this game.

Steelhere10
02-03-2011, 09:23 PM
The AFC coach sounds like Bill Bellicek to me. Lol

NorthCoast
02-03-2011, 10:40 PM
The articles have pretty much summed up what every knowledgeable Steeler fan knows, controlled short passes can defeat this defense. Problem is very few teams in the NFL have the talent to execute it. Green Bay does. Remember the Oakland game a few year back when we were shredded by, I think Rich Gannon in a spread offense? It can be done but as the articles say, you better not make a mistake along the way. After Rodgers got hit in the Bears game, he did not look the same.

hawaiiansteel
02-04-2011, 01:42 AM
On the Steelers: Rattling Packers' Rodgers key

Thursday, February 03, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201102/20110203steelers_330.jpg

Eric Gay/Associated Press
Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers warms his hand during practice, Wednesday in Dallas.

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Ryan Clark cut to the chase. You want to slow down the Green Bay Packers' offense?

"The thing is, we have to get to Aaron Rodgers and cut the head off," Clark said at another Super Bowl media scrum Wednesday on the floor of the TCU basketball court.

Before the NFL thought-police try to write up Clark for his violent plan, the Steelers' free safety did not mean that literally. At least, those who heard him said they did not think he meant it literally.

But they must get to the Green Bay quarterback, rough him up, rattle him Sunday night the way they did the Baltimore Ravens' Joe Flacco in the second half and the New York Jets' Mark Sanchez in the first if they are to make their third sweep of postseason play in six years. They must get him on the ground, even if his head remains in place while doing so.

"We'll have to get back there at Aaron Rodgers and put some pressure on him," linebacker Lawrence Timmons said, "because you can't let him sit around in the pocket and nickel-and-dime us all day."

They were unable to do that the last time they faced Rodgers, and he owned them as if his name were Tom Brady. On Dec. 10, 2009, in Heinz Field, Rodgers completed 26 of 48 passes for 383 yards and three touchdowns. The Steelers sacked him once and did not intercept him. The 37-36 victory was a product of the Steelers' offense.

Of course, safety Troy Polamalu did not play that day and, as his NFL defensive player of the year award shows, he can provide the difference.

"He's the best defensive player in the league, so his presence is always a good thing," cornerback Anthony Madison said.

Madison believes he could play more often Sunday. If he does -- discounting injuries -- it would mean the Steelers would be deploying six defensive backs, something they do not do much anymore. They prefer their nickel package of five defensive backs, adding William Gay to the mix.

Madison's entry as a sixth back would mean Timmons would go to the sideline. It also would be in deference to the Packers' preferred use of four wide receivers -- starters Greg Jennings and Donald Driver joined by Jordy Nelson and James Jones.

"They're good players," Clark said. "They're basically all the same guys except Jordy Nelson is Caucasian. Other than that, all are around the same body type, very physical, strong guys, great hands. You look at them make a lot of plays, run after the catch.

"The thing that's amazing about them, everybody can play every position. ... So, it makes a matchup problem.

"It's a very good crew, and it all starts with the quarterback."

That is why it is so vital the Steelers, who led the NFL with 48 sacks, make it a not so beautiful day in the neighborhood for Mr. Rodgers.

The Green Bay quarterback, however, has another tool, a Ben Roethlisberger-like talent in that he can escape the rush. Rodgers had 356 yards rushing in 2010 on 64 runs/scrambles.

"He's so mobile," Clark noted. "That's the hard part. He's not one of those guys who sits back there and lets you tee off on him.

"He takes a hit the last game from Julius Peppers and continues to play."

Clark said the Packers' passing style differs from New England's, which chewed the Steelers up at midseason with short passes from Tom Brady.

"The way Green Bay uses Aaron, it's about getting the ball downfield, hitting seams, taking your shots when you have them, him scrambling and making plays. Even though they have the personnel to spread you out in the same way, they go about it in different ways.

"They're a good team. They have the weapons to definitely go [to] four and five wides and throw the ball around the field."

The Steelers know one way to stop it, and it's not by dropping everyone into coverage.

"We have to get pressure on the quarterback, make him throw the ball quick, and be physical with the receivers," Clark said.

Cut the head off.

Waiting for offers

Three starters could be playing their final game as Steelers Sunday, yet all three not only want to return but believe new contracts could be worked out before either free agency or a lockout occurs March 3.

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley, injured offensive tackle Willie Colon and cornerback Ike Taylor all said the disappointment of not receiving long-term contract offers before the season started has not deterred them from a desire to stay put with new contracts over the next several weeks.

"Yes, there's enough time," said Woodley. "We'll see. We'll see. The Super Bowl is Feb. 6 and March 3 [ends the NFL calendar year], that's a big gap between there. We just have to wait and see.

"I haven't even thought about it. You know what, I have no control over it, but, at the end of the day, you know something's going to happen so you just have to sit back patiently."

Taylor alluded to hearing from Steelers executives about getting a contract done for him before March 3.

"I've been having some talk, nothing major, just talk from the top guys, some good talk with the top guys. I'm sure we'll get talking a lot in the offseason."

Colon lost millions he might have made by becoming a free agent last year, but new rules that kicked in during the final year of the collective bargaining agreement made him a restricted free agent in 2010, his fifth season, rather than unrestricted.

"That's business, and I understand," said Colon, on injured reserve after his Achilles was torn at the end of June.

"Right now, I feel great, I feel about 85 percent. I want to be back here, I want to be back with my offensive line coach [Sean Kugler]. There hasn't been a coach that impacted me more, personally, other than my coach in college."

Colon said he would like to play with center Maurkice Pouncey, who made the Pro Bowl as a rookie this season.

"We kind of set a standard and a foundation with Pouncey, and no question he's our future and I want to play with the guy. I want to be back being a force on the line."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11034/11 ... z1Cxh791dn (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11034/1122666-66.stm#ixzz1Cxh791dn)

skyhawk
02-04-2011, 02:52 AM
Ugh, I am tired of analyzing. Let's play the game soon!

Who's with me? :tt2

fordfixer
02-04-2011, 02:59 AM
Ugh, I am tired of analyzing. Let's play the game soon!

Who's with me? :tt2
:Agree :tt1 :tt1

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-04-2011, 10:08 AM
The two defenses are pretty evenly matched. Everyone is saying the Packers CBs are better so be it. But I believe the Steeler's Ss are better. I also give the edge to the Steelers in the front 7. The Packers pass attack plays better into the Steelers D than say a Pats or Colts team. The Steelers blitz & cover schemes are designed to protect against the big play. The Packers are a vertical team which requires the ball to be held (sound familiar) and the Steelers want you to do that. They want to make the play in the backfield or hurry you into making a throw downfield before you see everything. A patient team, like the Pats, who will dink & dunk or attack the top & run underneath & attack between the seams is our nightmare. That hasn't been the Packer's recipe but it might be a heavy part of the gameplan. Same on the flip side. The Packers can cover on the back end. The team that can be patient and attack underneath will move the chains and hold on to the ball.

ST are always important, but I don't see a glaring advantage either way especially since the game is in doors. Retuners are capable on both sides. Let just hope "this is the game" where AB gets that "one more block" and is able to use the good surface to use his God given gifts to make a difference.

On offense, I believe the Steelers have a better run game and that is one weakness the Packers have. If Pouncey is out, it is a loss. However, if the coaches do their homework I still think they could have success. This could be one of the biggest keys in this game. If they could keep the ball out of Rodgers hands and eat up the clock on long drives, it will keep the D fresh. The Steelers will have to pick there spots attacking downfield. They must make the Packers commit to stopping the run game and get a single S high. Take your shot on the outside with Wallace on a PA 1 or 2 man pattern with max protect. The speed at WR for the Steelers will keep the coverage high so the success in the pass game will be intermediate. Get the ball out to the RB in the flat. Come out of the backfield in settle down in the zone in front of the QB. Attack between the hashes with Miller. Use Ward & AB in the shallow crosses and the med curls. Be patient and get the ball out if they get Mathews in a one-on-one. BB needs to find him and recognize the match-up.

I don't believe the Packers will be able to run very well against the Steelers. That could be where in the 2nd half DL takes a gamble and sells out. When you can get a team later in the game to abandon the run game in disgust, you can gamble on the run "down & distance" and catch them in a play action where you can get to the QB a create a turnover from the backside or get a sack that puts them in a 2nd or 3rd & long. They will be able to move the ball against the Steelers. The "bend but don't break" D needs to show up in full force. When you get the short field at your back...Tighten up and go get Rodgers. The shorter the field gets...The better our secondary gets.

The biggest key I see is attacking Rodgers. Some stats I pulled through the regular season:
Rodgers
-64 rushing atts (4.3 per game)
-Sacked 2.1 times per game
-31.6 pass atts per game
-43 att per int

BB
-34 rushing atts (2.8 per game)
-Sacked 2.7 times per game
-32.4 pass atts per game
-78 atts per int

You can get to Rodgers. He uses his athleticism to get away from pressure and avoid sacks just like BB. He brings the ball down and gets what he can with his legs rather than look downfield. The biggest thing that sticks out is he occasionally will force the bad throw under pressure. He is very capable standing in the pocket and accurate with a strong arm. His int per att isn't from that. So he forces throws under pressure or on the move. He has a high completion rate so he isn't throwing them away. I think this is key. Pick the spot. Don't give up the big play. Shut down the run and make them be patient. But when the field gets short...Get after him. I also think it would be wise to let Timmons play between the hashes close to the LOS. When you send the heat, he can take away the dump and close on Rodgers. Rodgers is dinged and Timmons will make him throw or slide. If I'm DL...I see this as the focus. Yards don't equal points. But when it comes that time where field position makes or secondary better...Send the pressure. Rattle Rodgers early & often. Under pressure...The Steelers will be able to come up with the "splash plays" that will be the difference in the ball game.

Oviedo
02-04-2011, 11:04 AM
JPN--great post as usual. Kinda making me feel better. Just slightly. I will be wearing my Timmons jersey on Sunday because I think he will be key to a Steelers win. We have to send him on inside blitzes and I could see him getting a pick.

I'm putting my faith in the offense and our running and the "Young Money Crew." We need to control the clock like we did in the 1st half against the Jets and convert third downs. I think Heath Miller has to have a BIG day because he is a match up problem in our advantage. Sanders or Brown need to make a couple of critical catches.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-04-2011, 11:09 AM
On the Steelers: Rattling Packers' Rodgers key

Thursday, February 03, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201102/20110203steelers_330.jpg

Eric Gay/Associated Press
Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers warms his hand during practice, Wednesday in Dallas.

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Ryan Clark cut to the chase....

"They're good players," Clark said. "They're basically all the same guys except Jordy Nelson is Caucasian.......

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11034/11 ... z1Cxh791dn (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11034/1122666-66.stm#ixzz1Cxh791dn)

Is he saying , "They all look the same."???

:lol: :lol:

hawaiiansteel
02-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Five ways to attack the Steelers defense

By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

1. Identify where safety Troy Polamalu is at all times. The guy is a not only disruptive; he's the best defensive player on the field. Aaron Rodgers' first responsibility is to identify potential pass rushers, and Polamalu is a tough read. He plays close to the line but is able to drop into coverage. He's also able to rush the passer or run down plays from behind. In short, he's aggressive, and he's a playmaker. So remember to identify where he is with pre-snap reads.

2. Don't be afraid to practice misdirection. The Steelers are so aggressive that they can overrun plays, which means they can be vulnerable to counters and bootlegs. Look how the New York Jets scored a game-tying TD in December: Mark Sanchez ran a naked bootleg to his left, and there was nothing there. So get the flow going in one direction, then break the play to the backside. You may find an opening.

3. Don't try to block James Harrison or LaMarr Woodley with a tight end on the line. The Packers probably won't, anyway. They like to protect with a tight end inside, lined up behind the line of scrimmage, and a back to the outside. That can widen the field, which is critical with these guys. You don't want them taking the short route off the corner. So make them go long distance, and make them have to get over more than one speed bump.

4. Look for the weak corner. In the AFC championship game the Steelers locked Ike Taylor on Santonio Holmes, and it worked reasonably well. My guess is that Taylor will cover Greg Jennings most, if not all, of Sunday's game. So find a way to beat Bryant McFadden and William Gay. The Packers have the ammunition in Donald Driver and James Jones. The Packers' passing game is all about timing, so disrupting that timing is critical. You can do that by getting physical with receivers at the line of scrimmage, but Pittsburgh is not a man-to-man team. They'll zone the Packers and try to beat them with the pass rush. Make sure you find their weak links before the pass rush gets to Rodgers.

5. Attack the middle of the field. More specifically, attack safety Ryan Clark. He's a sitting duck when Polamalu moves close to the line of scrimmage. The Steelers are aggressive on defense and will take chances -- especially Polamalu. But that means there's a risk, and the risk is that plays can be made in the middle of the field. That's not a knock on Clark. It's just that he has a lot of real estate to cover.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14641627

Oviedo
02-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Five ways to attack the Steelers defense

By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

1. Identify where safety Troy Polamalu is at all times. The guy is a not only disruptive; he's the best defensive player on the field. Aaron Rodgers' first responsibility is to identify potential pass rushers, and Polamalu is a tough read. He plays close to the line but is able to drop into coverage. He's also able to rush the passer or run down plays from behind. In short, he's aggressive, and he's a playmaker. So remember to identify where he is with pre-snap reads.

2. Don't be afraid to practice misdirection. The Steelers are so aggressive that they can overrun plays, which means they can be vulnerable to counters and bootlegs. Look how the New York Jets scored a game-tying TD in December: Mark Sanchez ran a naked bootleg to his left, and there was nothing there. So get the flow going in one direction, then break the play to the backside. You may find an opening.

3. Don't try to block James Harrison or LaMarr Woodley with a tight end on the line. The Packers probably won't, anyway. They like to protect with a tight end inside, lined up behind the line of scrimmage, and a back to the outside. That can widen the field, which is critical with these guys. You don't want them taking the short route off the corner. So make them go long distance, and make them have to get over more than one speed bump.

4. Look for the weak corner. In the AFC championship game the Steelers locked Ike Taylor on Santonio Holmes, and it worked reasonably well. My guess is that Taylor will cover Greg Jennings most, if not all, of Sunday's game. So find a way to beat Bryant McFadden and William Gay. The Packers have the ammunition in Donald Driver and James Jones. The Packers' passing game is all about timing, so disrupting that timing is critical. You can do that by getting physical with receivers at the line of scrimmage, but Pittsburgh is not a man-to-man team. They'll zone the Packers and try to beat them with the pass rush. Make sure you find their weak links before the pass rush gets to Rodgers.

5. Attack the middle of the field. More specifically, attack safety Ryan Clark. He's a sitting duck when Polamalu moves close to the line of scrimmage. The Steelers are aggressive on defense and will take chances -- especially Polamalu. But that means there's a risk, and the risk is that plays can be made in the middle of the field. That's not a knock on Clark. It's just that he has a lot of real estate to cover.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14641627

Pretty accurate I would say!!!!!!

hawaiiansteel
02-06-2011, 03:26 PM
guess we'll find out very soon about our pass defense, is Anthony Madison really going to be on the field today trying to cover Green Bay's wide receivers?

will Rodgers post big numbers and pass on us at will or will our DBs be able to cover guys long enough to let our pass rush get to Rodgers? this will definitely be one of the keys to who wins this game...