PDA

View Full Version : Why am I nervous/anxious about this game?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-02-2011, 06:15 PM
The two recent Superbowls we won (hey, how nice is it to root for a team that we can say THAT about!!), I was just really happy and excited. For some reason this one there's a lot of nervousness and anxiety mixed in there. And from reading some of the posts here, I'm not the only one.

Anyone have a good idea why it's different this time? I've got an idea, and it has to do with Ben - I want him to win so badly, basically to STFU to a whole lot of people. That doesn't exactly sound like a really good reason, and heck, for all I know it's not the real reason.

Hmmm???

Djfan
02-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Also, because 100% of the media is telling you that the Pack is going to win.

Crash
02-02-2011, 06:24 PM
I want this one bad because of Goodell's blatant attempt to kill our season.

pick6
02-02-2011, 06:59 PM
i guess im the exact opposite. I was a mess before the Seahawks game. It was embarrassing. Last bowl I felt better. But this time I feel much more relaxed. its almost a mirror image of what the team is saying. Although this team is our toughest challenge yet, I really think that we are ready for these guys and Im not sure if they are ready for us. Seriously. They are going to be introduced to a new kind of physical that they have not seen. They were tossing the Bears all over the place and they consider that a physical matchup. They will try to dink and dunk us and we will be waiting for it. Legursky will hold it down, mark my words. And the coaches have shown an ability to adapt. The only issue is if Ben will start the game on or off. We can't afford for him to miss open recievers early. If he brings his A game then we beat them from start to finish, if not then Ben takes them out at the end. I prefer the A game.

msp26505
02-02-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm a little worried about the fact that I'm not that worried.

Seriously.

Oviedo
02-02-2011, 07:36 PM
You feel the way you do because you are a true fan who has actually watched our secondary over the past couple of years and you know they are totally overmatched by the Packers receivers. That is why I feel the same way.

Only chance we have is if we can sack Rodgers alot and more specifically get that third concussion on him.

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Rationalizing Rodgers

Posted on February 2, 2011 by ryan

I don’t feel good about this matchup. In previous weeks, I was quite confident the Steelers could beat the Ravens and the Jets. But the Packers — and specifically Aaron Rodgers — scare me.

Rodgers is a lot like Tom Brady and Drew Brees; he’s accurate, has a quick release, and can execute the Death by 1,000 Dinks and Dunks game plan with minimal effort. But he’s also stronger and more mobile than either quarterback. And as we have heard countless times this week, he’s a lot like his Super Bowl counterpart Ben Roethlisberger.

Something else that troubles me. I can’t work up the hatred for the Packers that was so easily summoned against the Ravens or the Jets. It’s part familiarity (it breeds contempt, apparently), part loud-mouthed bravado (Rex Ryan, from August right up until he slammed his headset on the Heinz Field turf).

The Steelers faced the Packers during Week 15 of the 2009 season, winning on a last-second pitch-and-catch from Big Ben to Mike Wallace. Before that, Pittsburgh beat Green Bay at Lambeau Field in 2005. (Enjoy the box score: Chaz Batch started for an injured Roethlisberger, Duce Staley played, and Tyrone Carter had an interception.) There’s not much recent history there.

Plus, I really, really like Rodgers. For how he handled the Brett Favre silliness for three years, for his on-field abilities, and most of all, perhaps, for the championship belt thing he does after he scores. That’s all sorts of awesome and I fully expect to see it Sunday. And you know what? I’ll probably chuckle.

It seems like most people — both media and fans — like the Packers to beat the Steelers. I don’t have any issue with that. It’s not like, say, Sterling Sharpe announcing during NFL Network’s “Playbook” show that the Panthers would defeat the Steelers “just because.” There are legitimate arguments for why Green Bay can win: the aforementioned Rodgers, Greg Jennings and Donald Driver, the Packers defense, Dom Capers.

I wrote Monday that maybe Pittsburgh’s best chance could come by way of the running game. And I still believe that whether Maurkice Pouncey plays or not. Football Outsiders took a look at both teams’ losses this season and identified the weaknesses. It’s ESPN Insider content but here’s the takeaway: Pittsburgh’s strengths match up well with Green Bay’s weaknesses, but the opposite doesn’t hold. So there’s that.

Speaking more generally, there is also this: as long as Roethlisberger and Polamalu are on the field, the Steelers have a very good chance to win. That can’t be overstated. Troy didn’t play in last year’s get-together (although he was on the field against the Pats and Saints this year — and looked lost at times in New Orleans). The one unknown: how the new, feel-good Ben performs in crunch time. There’s no rational reason to think it will affect him one way or the other but when your entire sports-watching existence is built on superstitions and routine, I’d be lying if I said it didn’t cross my mind.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/02/r ... #more-4084 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/02/rationalizing-rodgers-random-limas-links/#more-4084)

MeetJoeGreene
02-02-2011, 08:06 PM
I haven't been really nervous about either the Rats or Jets.

For some reason, I am not "that" nervous about the Pack. And the fact that I am not nervous makes me nervous because I am usually s nervous fan.

jj28west
02-02-2011, 08:25 PM
You feel the way you do because you are a true fan who has actually watched our secondary over the past couple of years and you know they are totally overmatched by the Packers receivers. That is why I feel the same way.

Only chance we have is if we can sack Rodgers alot and more specifically get that third concussion on him.

This and the Pouncey situation with an already depleted Oline.

NW Steeler
02-02-2011, 08:36 PM

Well we beat them last year with a WORSE secondary, a WORSE running game, and even though we gave up 36 points! But I am ALWAYS nervous before just about any game, let alone the SB!!

MeetJoeGreene
02-02-2011, 08:45 PM

This and the Pouncey situation with an already depleted Oline.

what will steam me is that if the Packers do win, they will be lauded .. no one will even mention that maybe all of the Steelers injuries finally caught up.

Ozey74
02-02-2011, 08:52 PM
I am not nervous yet, but I expect to be nervous starting Friday. Saturday will seem like 7 days long & I will be up by 6 am on game day.

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2011, 09:02 PM
I am not nervous yet, but I expect to be nervous starting Friday. Saturday will seem like 7 days long & I will be up by 6 am on game day.

Pre-game starts at 7am Hawaiian time, I'll be up. :tt2

flippy
02-02-2011, 09:27 PM
No nerves here. This is gonna be a blowout. The Pack won't be able to hang. All hype, no substance.

I have a feeling Rodgers will get knocked out of the game.

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2011, 09:31 PM
No nerves here. This is gonna be a blowout. The Pack won't be able to hang. All hype, no substance.

bold prediction, especially considering the Packers have not trailed by more than 7 points all year long.

but you did call Todd Heap getting injured on the first play of the Ravens game, so your perfect record of predicting things remains intact... :D

flippy
02-02-2011, 09:43 PM

bold prediction, especially considering the Packers have not trailed by more than 7 points all year long.

but you did call Todd Heap getting injured on the first play of the Ravens game, so your perfect record of predicting things remains intact... :D

lol

I just have a feeling about this one. The offense is clicking. The D is playing even better. And if we get up early, then Rodgers is gonna have to force the ball downfield to catch up making our pass rush even more effective.

My gut says Timmons will knock out Rodgers to save Harrison's wallet.

The other thing that jumped out at me this week was when Rodgers said he hopes they win the coin toss so they can defer and he'll have time to calm down before touching the ball.

That's so weak. He's lost already.

He's twitter fighting with teammates.

He's feeling pressure from Brett Favre.

And there was a huge snowstorm in WI this week and players have to worry about their families and friends.

Wonder if the IR players will all make it to Dallas in time for the team pic?

I just have a feeling there's chaos in GB.

And the Steelers are ticked about being underdogs.

papillon
02-02-2011, 09:55 PM
I want this one bad because of Goodell's blatant attempt to kill our season.

Yup, it will be a beautiful thing to hoist it up and drop the d@mn thing on his head and while he's on the ground inadvertently hit him after the whistle helmet to head. He's an @ssclown in the first degree.

Pappy

SteelCrazy
02-02-2011, 10:02 PM
I feel exactly the same I did in 05 and 08. I havent bought into the Rodgers hype because I have watched him play. Is he good? Yes. Is he great? Yes. How does he stack up against a great Steelers D? Pretty good....see the 09 game. Why do we stand a chance? Because of that QB no one wants to give credit to.

Ben threw for over 500 yds against this GB defense. He is great when he has to be and always has been. When he is allowed to play, you cant stop him. However, because we have a dominate Defense we rarely get to see a full game with Ben choking the crap out of a D for an entire game. For what ever reason, we only score enough to win and ride the D for the rest of the game. Maybe it saves some on injuries later on in the season, or at least that is the thinking.

Fear not my friends, we will win this game come hell or high water, but it'll probably be a nail biter that makes a heart attack look good.
:tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1

Djfan
02-02-2011, 10:33 PM
I'm feeling better and better about this game as time goes by. I'm pretty big on the idea that Rogers is not even close to Ben's league.

As for their offense, they don't have any idea what a real defense is like.

I just feel good about this one.

I've been wrong before. I've been right before. Take it or leave it.

We win.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-02-2011, 11:01 PM
One difference between this year and last is that Matthews is much better now (was he a rook last year?).

Another is that Polamalu will at least be on the field. I wouldn't be surprised if they test him early to see how mobile he is, and then adjust their game plan accordingly. Yes, OCs are allowed to do that :wink: .

Another difference I see is that Wallace is SO much better this year than last.

Another difference is that "What can Brown do for You?" demands resources from the D, opening it up for Ben more than last year.

Also, that Legurky is playing, not (?) Mahan. Gotta believe Legursky is better, but on the other hand, the O-line didn't have to adjust to a new center just before the game last year. IMO, this is a wash ... maybe even a bit of a drop off this year, just from the point of view of playing-time-together for the O-line.

Finally, I see Mendy as a WHOLE lot of a better runner than last year ... experience wise, waiting for blocks, dropping the Spin Doctor routine, etc. Big plus!

Well, thanks for tolerating my verbal rant. I'm just plain nervous is all, but you guys are helping a lot - Thanks!!

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!

Oviedo
02-02-2011, 11:11 PM
One difference between this year and last is that Matthews is much better now (was he a rook last year?).

Another is that Polamalu will at least be on the field. I wouldn't be surprised if they test him early to see how mobile he is, and then adjust their game plan accordingly. Yes, OCs are allowed to do that :wink: .

Another difference I see is that Wallace is SO much better this year than last.

Another difference is that "What can Brown do for You?" demands resources from the D, opening it up for Ben more than last year.

Also, that Legurky is playing, not (?) Mahan. Gotta believe Legursky is better, but on the other hand, the O-line didn't have to adjust to a new center just before the game last year. IMO, this is a wash ... maybe even a bit of a drop off this year, just from the point of view of playing-time-together for the O-line.

Finally, I see Mendy as a WHOLE lot of a better runner than last year ... experience wise, waiting for blocks, dropping the Spin Doctor routine, etc. Big plus!

Well, thanks for tolerating my verbal rant. I'm just plain nervous is all, but you guys are helping a lot - Thanks!!

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!

Rant appreciated

phillyesq
02-02-2011, 11:45 PM
I nervous about this because I think the Packers are unquestionably the best opponent the Steelers have faced in this run of SBs. The Seahawks? Please. The Cards had a scary passing game, but no D.

The Pack have an excellent offense, and their defense is also quite solid. I absolutely think the Steelers can win, but it certainly won't be easy.

I think and hope this will be a good, close game. And if it's close, at the end, I'm betting on Ben to get things done. I don't care about his numbers against the Jets; he got things done when it mattered. Just like he pretty much always done.

papillon
02-02-2011, 11:58 PM
The defense is going to have to make some plays on third down and get off the field. If they allow Rodgers to convert a high rate of third downs it will be difficult to win. Third down is going to determine this game; it could be the difference between the Pack kicking a FG or scoring a TD, three instead of seven will be huge.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
02-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Also, that Legurky is playing, not (?) Mahan.

Justin Hartwig last year, not Sean Mahan.

Wolfhound45
02-03-2011, 12:26 PM
I am nervous because of the similiarities between the two teams. We are (almost) mirror images of each other. Also, the "ghosts" of 2005 are in the back of my mind. They look very much like we did at that time.

MeetJoeGreene
02-03-2011, 12:32 PM
The defense is going to have to make some plays on third down and get off the field. If they allow Rodgers to convert a high rate of third downs it will be difficult to win. Third down is going to determine this game; it could be the difference between the Pack kicking a FG or scoring a TD, three instead of seven will be huge.

Pappy

$$ +1 :Agree

We have been doing better lately on 3rd down - but my screaming at our D in the sports bars watching the playoffs has been "DON'T CELEBRATE ON SECOND DOWN"

Steelgal
02-03-2011, 12:57 PM
I've been all over the place on this game. One day I'm confident, the next I'm not. I thought the Steelers were going to blow the Jets out of the AFCCG and they did.....until the 2nd half.

I have a feeling it will be close going into the 4th quarter. Mostly because the Steelers seem to enjoy those cardiac games, lol! I think both teams are fairly evenly matched and it will come down to who makes the mistakes or who makes the bigger plays. I can honestly see either team winning. I don't think one team has a huge advantage over the other.

I just hope the Steelers start off strong and don't have to play from behind because I'm not sure how confident I am in the oline with blocking their D.

steelblood
02-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Rogers is very good in domes on turf. Our secondary and our O-line face serious challenges and are frankly outmatched. I think we will have to play a great game for four quarters (something we've yet to do in the playoffs). I think we can win, but I am not confident. I wish I was.

Oviedo
02-03-2011, 02:12 PM

Pappy

IMO it will be the offense that has to win this game for us. Our defense won't be able to hang with the Packers' offense. Our offense is going to have to win the time of possession battle and grind out long drives.

Unfortunately I see our defense running around chasing Packers WRs. Only hope is getting to the QB and hitting him early and often.

ikestops85
02-03-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm really not nervous about this game. I think it's because I believe we are playing with "house money" now. Going into the season the realist in me thought we might get the #6 seed and the season would be a success. Like any good fan I dreamed about us going to the Big Dance but I didn't think it would become reality.

Another reason is I can't build up any hate against the Packers. About the only player I can say I sorta dislike is Woodson ... and that is only because he was a Raider. What I do know that come Sunday I'll have to stay busy all day. The closer to game time it gets the bigger the knot in my stomach becomes. Starting an hour before kickoff I'll start aimlessly wandering around the house periodically mumbling to myself or talking to my dog (Hines). During the game I rotate between sitting on the edge of my recliner biting on a Terrible Towel and getting up and pacing. During the bazillion commercial breaks I chastise myself for getting so worked up ... after all, it's just a game. No matter how big a lead we get I think of all the ways the opponent can come back on us ...

and then the glorious relief that spreads throughout my body as we go into the kneel down victory formation.

Gawd I love being a Steeler fan!!!

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Oviedo
02-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Rogers is very good in domes on turf. Our secondary and our O-line face serious challenges and are frankly outmatched. I think we will have to play a great game for four quarters (something we've yet to do in the playoffs). I think we can win, but I am not confident. I wish I was.

We are totally on the same wavelength. I think our OL can hang if we establish the run. I have no hope for the secondary.

Crash
02-03-2011, 02:33 PM
If we win this game it will be because we jumped on them early.

Big numbers in domes for Rodgers, but the Packers have started out slow in domes.

Five of their dome wins are 4 wins against the Lions and 1 win against the Cards without Warner.