PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Ben is Goodell's white whipping boy

Crash
02-02-2011, 03:57 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ben- ... ame-020211 (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ben-roethlisberger-just-a-pawn-in-roger-goodells-game-020211)

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2011, 05:23 PM
the biggest problem I have with Goodell's recent comments about Ben is the timing of it, why would you want to address this issue right before the Super Bowl?

Goodell is all about Goodell, he certainly didn't have the best interests of the league in mind here.

feltdizz
02-02-2011, 05:27 PM
the biggest problem I have with Goodell's recent comments about Ben is the timing of it, why would you want to address this issue right before the Super Bowl?

Goodell is all about Goodell, he certainly didn't have the best interests of the league in mind here.

wasn't the most recent comment on January 7th? I haven't really followed media day at the SB or any SB hype yet so I have no idea if he said anything else.

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2011, 05:39 PM

wasn't the most recent comment on January 7th? I haven't really followed media day at the SB or any SB hype yet so I have no idea if he said anything else.

I was referring to Peter King's article which was posted on Jan. 31st in his Monday Morning QB feature...

Discipline of Steel
02-02-2011, 05:50 PM
If Goodell made the comments Jan 7 and King published Jan 31 then i dont question Goodell's timing. Unless it comes to light that he instructed P King when to publish.

Goodell is still a douche but you have to remain objective.

Crash
02-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Oh please. Does Goodell REALLY believe that King wouldn't use that quote at some point?

King's a schmuck, but Goodell provided him the ammo.

ScoreKeeper
02-02-2011, 05:54 PM
If Goodell made the comments Jan 7 and King published Jan 31 then i dont question Goodell's timing. Unless it comes to light that he instructed P King when to publish.

As a supposed commish, those comments should have never been said. I have never went to other employess, or employees of another company, to determine what punishment I was going to give one of my staff members.

That fact that he went outside the Steelers at all is the most bother-some thing.

pick6
02-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks for posting this very well written article. I was ready to just all over Whitlock but the article really is eye opening. Goodell is turning out to be a bad commisioner. This guy really wants attention and he really dislikes the Steelers, it seems. Targeting two of our star players. He is very unprofessional. When he destroyed the Patriots cheating tapes that should have been the biggest red flag. And I vaguely remember a really pathetic excuse he gave as why he destroyed the tapes. Is their anyway to get rid of this guy. When Ben hoist the Lombardi, once again, perhaps he should find a way not to look at or acknowledge goodall. Don't shake this creeps hand.

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2011, 05:58 PM
He is very unprofessional.

you hit the nail on the head, Goodell was very unprofessional in his comments on this matter.

Djfan
02-02-2011, 06:00 PM
He is very unprofessional.

you hit the nail on the head, Goodell was very unprofessional in his comments on this matter.

And far too many other things.

Crash
02-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Goodell said these quotes to King before we played Goodell's beloved Ravens. Says here my guess is he was hoping King would publish them before THAT game. But King held onto the quote.

When they were printed isn't the issue, the fact that Goodell said that quote at all is.

Chadman
02-02-2011, 06:59 PM
There's a storm coming, too many clouds circling around Goodell and his running of the NFL.....a vote of no confidence coming?

grotonsteel
02-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Dan Rooney has already fired the first salvo at BADall. No 18 games season. I am pretty sure Dan Rooney still commands huge respect among owners in NFL.

feltdizz
02-02-2011, 07:12 PM

As a supposed commish, those comments should have never been said. I have never went to other employess, or employees of another company, to determine what punishment I was going to give one of my staff members.

That fact that he went outside the Steelers at all is the most bother-some thing.

I have no problem with Goodell going to other players... Whether people want to admit it or not 95 % of the players are cool with each other and aren't the sworn enemies we believe them to be.

Players don't wish harm or suspensions on each because they know any player can get accused or end up in Bens situation.

My problem is Goodell revealing his tactics to King. That was unprofessional.

and to Crash. I do think there is a responsibility by journalist to reveal when the interview took place. If we weren't in the SB this story wouldn't have been published and its odd how info this juicy didn't make the printed story.

Crash
02-02-2011, 07:16 PM
I have no problem with Goodell going to other players...

Then you are an idiot just like Goodell is.

Yeah, ask players who would benefit from Ben sitting out for their input.

Real smooth move.

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Ben Roethlisberger not surprised by SI retraction

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, February 2, 2011

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Ben Roethlisberger said Tuesday he was not surprised to learn that a Sports Illustrated reporter issued a retraction after writing a story questioning whether the Steelers quarterback had the support of his teammates.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated said he erroneously changed a quote attributed to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell in his widely read "Monday Morning Quarterback."

Goodell, according to the original report on SI.com, said he had talked to more than 20 Steelers players after Roethlisberger was accused of sexual assault in March and that none had backed the quarterback.

King put "Steelers" in parentheses in the quote when in fact Goodell had been talking about players around the NFL. King said he thought Goodell was referring to the Steelers after interviewing him Jan. 7 for a profile scheduled to run this week.

"I thought it wasn't quite the way that it was made out to be," Roethlisberger said Tuesday at Super Bowl Media Day. "I didn't know much about (the report) at the time. I thought it was a little different."

Roethlisberger said he has not heard from Goodell, who told King that he had no personal connection with the two-time Super Bowl winner even though he has praised the changes Roethlisberger has made to his life.

The Steelers players rushed to Roethlisberger's defense yesterday, shortly after the team arrived in north Texas for Super Bowl XLV.

Inside linebacker James Farrior called the notion that Roethlisberger did not have support of his teammates as "baloney."

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin seemed more amused by the story than anything, even after the retraction.

"I was surprised why the commissioner would expect 24 players who don't play for the Steelers to support Ben," Tomlin said. "Those guys are competitors. I would imagine they would have wanted the commissioner to throw the book at Ben. That's funny to me."

Read more: Ben Roethlisberger not surprised by SI retraction - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1CqHElw51 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_720916.html#ixzz1CqHElw51)

ter1230_4
02-02-2011, 07:21 PM

I have no problem with Goodell going to other players... Whether people want to admit it or not 95 % of the players are cool with each other and aren't the sworn enemies we believe them to be.

Players don't wish harm or suspensions on each because they know any player can get accused or end up in Bens situation.

and to Crash. I do think there is a responsibility by journalist to reveal when the interview took place. If we weren't in the SB this story wouldn't have been published and its odd how info this juicy didn't make the printed story.

I have a huge problem with Goodell speaking with other players about Roethlisberger's reputation during the NFL's alleged investigation of the Georgia incident. All that could come of talking to other players is hearsay, like whether he would autograph jerseys for them. How is that possibly relevant to whether Ben's conduct in Georgia warranted a suspension? Goodell's comment to King was intended to slander Roethlisberger, nothing more, nothing less.

Oviedo
02-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Goodell said these quotes to King before we played Goodell's beloved Ravens. Says here my guess is he was hoping King would publish them before THAT game. But King held onto the quote.

When they were printed isn't the issue, the fact that Goodell said that quote at all is.

And don't forget that was before Goodell's real "master" Kraft's Cheaters were dumped out of the play offs.

Goodell is an idiot and a terrible commisioner. He is a power hungry fool who makes terrible decisions. Hopefully the owners are smart enough to dump him but I'm sure Bob Kraft will be lobbying hard for him since he like having a commisioner on puppet strings.

Oviedo
02-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Maybe Goodell should have had the Patriots forfeit two 1st Round picks and potentially reduce that to one with "good behavior." Proof who really "owns" Goodell. Pats don't fulfill oblogations and he lets it slide.

Goodell critical of Spygate apology

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said he felt "deceived" by Bill Belichick in the wake of the Spygate scandal in 2007, telling Sports Illustrated recently that the New England Patriots coach did not fulfill his obligation to "tell his side of the story" after the league handed down its punishment for illegally videotaping opponents.

After he issued fines of $500,000 to Belichick and $250,000 to the team, and docked the Patriots a first-round draft pick, Goodell said he told team owner Robert Kraft that, as another part of the penalty, that Belichick would have to make a verbal apology in front of reporters. Belichick issued only a printed statement apologizing for his actions and refused to answer questions in a subsequent news conference.

"I was given assurances that [Belichick] would tell his side of the story," Goodell told Sports Illustrated. "He went out and stonewalled the press. I feel like I was deceived."

Belichick denied the allegation to SI.

"I did not make any assurances about thoroughly discussing the subject publicly," he told the magazine. "I said I would address it following the league's review. I then did that in a way I thought was appropriate. I don't think that was deceptive."

feltdizz
02-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Sounds like Peter King knows what Goodell's favorite drink is.

MCHammer
02-02-2011, 09:02 PM
I have a huge problem with Goodell speaking with other players about Roethlisberger's reputation during the NFL's alleged investigation of the Georgia incident. All that could come of talking to other players is hearsay, like whether he would autograph jerseys for them. How is that possibly relevant to whether Ben's conduct in Georgia warranted a suspension? Goodell's comment to King was intended to slander Roethlisberger, nothing more, nothing less.

Agreed. I was fairly tough on Ben and still remain skeptical of the type of man he is, but this conduct by Goodell is grossly unfair. Apart from the issue of this quote coming this week, why on earth would other player's opinions of a player have any weight in determining how the NFL enforces its personal conduct policy?

Even if you give Goodell the benefit of the doubt on the timing of this story, it's still reveals him to be a commissioner treating players arbitrarily rather than through some objective standard.

I believe we have seen this attitude reflected also in the fines leveled against Harrison and other players across the league. It is also likely filtering down to the referees.

I hope Goodell is gone soon. He isn't just harming the Steelers, he is hurting the sport and undermining the credibility of the league.

Crash
02-02-2011, 09:53 PM
But where was King's retraction when he reported Miss DTF was a teenager and that Ben was investigated by Nevada police?

Both reports are flat wrong, and he did nothing.

Goodell wants a retraction and his Brady loving as$ jumps a mile high.

papillon
02-02-2011, 10:12 PM

I do have a problem with Goodell asking other players. This was a matter between Ben, the Steelers and the Commissioners office. What other players and coaches think of Ben is irrelevant to the entire event.

Pappy

phillyesq
02-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Whitlock touched on this a bit, but the biggest problem for me in the entire situation is the lack of due process. Goodell has too much power, and he uses it arbitrarily.

Had Ben come out earlier and said he had no connection with Goodell, his suspension would not have been dropped to 4 games. It's cowardly for Goodell to hide behind his power when he is accountable to nobody, and take pot shots at somebody who, essentially, cannot defend himself because of the power imbalance. Even lower, Goodell didn't "clarify" his comments until they'd been in the media for nearly a full day.

If the NFL wants to enforce the personal conduct policy, there need to be some sort of standards that can be articulated. And you need to have a panel of people enforcing it. As it stands now, it's essentially go to NY and kiss the ring, or else...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Whitlock touched on this a bit, but the biggest problem for me in the entire situation is the lack of due process. Goodell has too much power, and he uses it arbitrarily.

Had Ben come out earlier and said he had no connection with Goodell, his suspension would not have been dropped to 4 games. It's cowardly for Goodell to hide behind his power when he is accountable to nobody, and take pot shots at somebody who, essentially, cannot defend himself because of the power imbalance. Even lower, Goodell didn't "clarify" his comments until they'd been in the media for nearly a full day.

If the NFL wants to enforce the personal conduct policy, there need to be some sort of standards that can be articulated. And you need to have a panel of people enforcing it. As it stands now, it's essentially go to NY and kiss the ring, or else...

[Harrison and his comments/attitude are to Goodell] as [that fruit vendor in Tunisia is to Mubarak and the whole Middle East]. For those that haven't heard, this one guy in Tunisia set himself on fire because the govt took his fruit cart (his family's livelihood) because he couldn't pay the bribe. One guy ... down went Tunisia's government ... down goes Mubarak/Egypt ... etc.

I think Harrison's comments may be the catalyst for the whole NFL realizing THIS dictator is OMG not good for the NFL ...

I just realized the analogy kind of sucks, because I don't want Harrison to set himself on fire! But Goodell is a fruit, so maybe there's something there somewhere ...

Oviedo
02-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Best part of Whitlock's article is he is the first person outside of Steelers fans to state the real truth behind Goodell's actions and that is racial appeasement and taking heat off himself for previous decisions. I have tremendous respoect for Whitlock doing that publicly and on the record.

feltdizz
02-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Best part of Whitlock's article is he is the first person outside of Steelers fans to state the real truth behind Goodell's actions and that is racial appeasement and taking heat off himself for previous decisions. I have tremendous respoect for Whitlock doing that publicly and on the record.

Whitlock puts racial elements in 85% of his articles.

It's already starting to happen. A little-publicized fact is that the Colts and the Patriots the league's model franchises are two of the whitest teams in the NFL. If you count rookie receiver Anthony Gonzalez, the Colts opened the season with an NFL-high 24 white players on their 53-man roster. Toss in linebacker Naivote Taulawakeiaho "Freddie" Keiaho and 47 percent of Tony Dungy's defending Super Bowl-champion roster is non-African-American. Bill Belichick's Patriots are nearly as white, boasting a 23-man non-African-American roster, counting linebacker Tiaina "Junior" Seau and backup quarterback Matt Gutierrez.

"the best offense in football was 82 percent white"

If you google Jason Whitlock you'll notice that about 1/4 of his articles are sited and used on Klan and white pride message boards. :wink:

Ghost
02-03-2011, 11:24 AM

Yep. Too much power coupled with too much ego! Harrison said it best recently (and I'm paraphrasing) - he said going to the NFL offices to discuss his fines was useless becasue it was the equivalent of getting a sppedding ticket and when you show up in court, the officer who wrote the ticket is also the Judge.

As mush as it sickens me to think about a lost season, I'd gladly take it if it meant the end of this guy being the commissioner.

Oviedo
02-03-2011, 05:16 PM

If I were the players this CBA would have clear cut processes for disciplinary action. Failure to do that will lead to serious issues in the future. As an officer in the Army I could not do any of the things that Goodell does as far as punishment and justice.

Goodell is totally out of control. He has no standards except what he feels like from day to day or a personal capricous prejudice towards different players.

RuthlessBurgher
02-03-2011, 05:22 PM

If I were the players this CBA would have clear cut processes for disciplinary action. Failure to do that will lead to serious issues in the future. As an officer in the Army I could not do any of the things that Goodell does as far as punishment and justice.

Goodell is totally out of control. He has no standards except what he feels like from day to day or a personal capricous prejudice towards different players.

You almost wonder if Goodell's over-officious behavior is a pre-meditated move on his part to give another bargaining chip for the owners. Perhaps the players will be willing to give up a certain percentage of the overall revenue on the condition that a fair committee be established to review incidents that may potentially require disciplinary action instead of having a singular Fascist who wavers in the winds of public perception in the media.