PDA

View Full Version : Closing the holes in our pass coverage

MicroBioSteel
02-01-2011, 10:14 PM
This is a very nice video from NFL network.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-p ... Steelers-D (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d81e0e2c0/Holes-in-the-Steelers-D)

My feeling is that if we can get enough pressure rushing 5 ( 3DL + 2OL) we could drop Timmons and Farrior deeper in coverage (play pass first and no bite on PA). I would dare the packers to run the ball. I would make them prove they can run before we commit to stopping it. This goes against what the Steelers normally do but I think that having the LBs deeper in coverage could cause Rogers to hold the ball just long enough for the pressure to reach home. He could also try to finesse it over the coverage but I like the idea of our safeties having time to lock on and at the very least jar the ball lose. In the video they show our D versus the Jets, Cleveland, and New Orleans. Both the Jets and Cleveland had run games that were legit and commanded respect. The NO situation was more of a goal to go situation. There the field is compressed so having the LBs up normally makes sense...just a great play by Brees.

Speaking of New Orleans, I believe that team matches closest to the Pack in terms of offensive style vs our defense. Our D gave up some plays that game but they didn't lose the game. Rather it was the offense that failed on 2 occasions (Goal line and Heath Fumble) that determined the outcome of the game. It was insanely loud in that dome on Halloween night and I think it effected our offense. I was there and the noise was very impressive. I do not expect the noise to be an issue on Sunday as I expect a 50-50 crowd.

I did not have a good feeling about the game earlier but as time goes along I'm slowly becoming more confident. I do not see this game being a blowout either way and I see it coming down to the 4th quarter. In that case I feel more confident in Ben being clutch than Rogers. If it comes down to the 4th quarter I wish we could get someone on the inside to play Renegade complete with video. I would love to see it on Jerry's jumbotron.

jj28west
02-02-2011, 05:45 AM
Good Points...

I see the Pack still trying to be ridiculously aggresive and attacking with the quick out, slants and the soft area in the middle early and often.

I know its a b!tch to run against the Steelers but if they are successful early with the pass this may make the rook Starks marginally effective who has speed and a body size similar to Blount who may have been the only RB I saw the Steelers have a little trouble with containing.

Out of Jones, Jennings, Driver & Nelson I am concerned with Jordy and who the Steelers have to match up against. The TE Quarless is no Jirmichael Finley (sp).

I am sure I am not the only one but if Pouncey can be drugged to play the Pack WR's are the other big concern, especially how Rogers can scramble and be tough to sack.

flippy
02-02-2011, 06:34 AM
Harrison and Woodley need to contain Rodgers in the pocket. And we need Keisel, Hamp, and Ziggy to generate pressure with some occasional pressure up the middle from Farrior/Timmons.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-02-2011, 08:03 AM
I agree that in this game, we need Ziggy, Hampton, and Keisel to collapse the pocket a lot more than usual. Especially Casey. Push up the middle causeing Rodgers to step to one side or the other putting him that much closer to Harrison or Woodley. I would corner blitz him a few times too, from the blind side, to make him hear footsteps. Get that in his head.

Oviedo
02-02-2011, 09:05 AM
I am very concerned that we will see a rerun of a movie we have seen many times. Our secondary starts to get picked apart and so LeBeau starts dropping LBs back in coverage which means we put no pressure on the QB and it just gets worse. A couple WRs go deep to take Ike out of the play and keep Troy deep and then Rodgers connects on crossing patterns in the middle of the field all day long.

The reality is that our secondary is two good players away from being able to match up with the Packers receivers. Aside from Ike we have no legitimate cover guys in the secondary.

I really hope I'm wrong but I have seen no evidence in the last two years to convince me otherwise. Hell it was even worse than I thought possible this year when Anthony Madision was actually on the field playing DB and looking totally overmatched as we all know he is.

ramblinjim
02-02-2011, 09:54 AM
If the big boys up front can bring pressure and Woodley can beat Bulaga like a rented mule, then we are going to be alright this weekend. But the ability to get heat on Rodgers without bringing the kitchen sink is going to be a huge key.

SteelTorch
02-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Aaron Rogers worries me. The guy is good. But I definitely feel better with this pass defense/coverage than the one in 2009.

Contrary to what a couple people on this forum claim, we don't have the worst secondary in the league. :stirpot

Oviedo
02-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Aaron Rogers worries me. The guy is good. But I definitely feel better with this pass defense/coverage than the one in 2009.

Contrary to what a couple people on this forum claim, we don't have the worst secondary in the league. :stirpot

I'll take credit for being one of the people you reference because I have had serious worries ablout the talent in our secondary all year. I'm just very concerned that the players we have who fit a keep it in front of you scheme don't match up well with the WRs the Packers have who demand man on man coverage.

Our front 7 is key because once we start dropping LBs into coverage to help and relieve pressure on Rodgers, we will be dead.

We may not have the worst secondary in the NFL but lets not kid ourseleves that we are anything better than average and we are playing a passing attack that is superior. That is a mismatch in any rational person's mind.

steelblood
02-02-2011, 12:13 PM
I am very concerned that we will see a rerun of a movie we have seen many times. Our secondary starts to get picked apart and so LeBeau starts dropping LBs back in coverage which means we put no pressure on the QB and it just gets worse. A couple WRs go deep to take Ike out of the play and keep Troy deep and then Rodgers connects on crossing patterns in the middle of the field all day long.

The reality is that our secondary is two good players away from being able to match up with the Packers receivers. Aside from Ike we have no legitimate cover guys in the secondary.

I really hope I'm wrong but I have seen no evidence in the last two years to convince me otherwise. Hell it was even worse than I thought possible this year when Anthony Madision was actually on the field playing DB and looking totally overmatched as we all know he is.

This is the nightmare matchup for our D. It will take a great D gameplan and some half-time adjustments to keep the Pack in check. I hope we do so.

ikestops85
02-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Like always our D needs to pressure the QB consistently. If we do that we win ... if we don't then the game is up in the air.
:tt2 :tt1

Djfan
02-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Gay and Bmac are looking a lot better the last few weeks. Are they learning? Is it the scheme? IDK, but they are gaining a lot of respect from me.

Oviedo
02-02-2011, 01:28 PM

This is the nightmare matchup for our D. It will take a great D gameplan and some half-time adjustments to keep the Pack in check. I hope we do so.

Time of Possession on offense. Need a couple of those 9-10 minute drives we had against the Jets.