PDA

View Full Version : Hines wants Plaxico back

SteelCrazy
02-01-2011, 07:38 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ress-back/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/01/hines-ward-wants-plaxico-burress-back/)

Posted by Mike Florio on February 1, 2011, 4:30 PM EST
Several years ago, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said that hed like to add a tall receiver to his arsenal of targets. Receiver Hines Ward didnt appreciate the remark.

I dont hear Tom Brady or Peyton Manning asking for that, Ward said at the time. I dont buy into height. Look at my red-zone touchdowns. I have as many as anyone in the league.

Now, look whos asking for a tall receiver.

According to Gary Myers of the New York Daily News (via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News), Ward said Tuesday that he wants the Steelers to sign Plaxico Burress once he is released from jail.

Burress was drafted by the Steelers in 2000. He signed with the Giants in 2005.

Djfan
02-01-2011, 07:47 PM
I hope we at least look at the guy.

AngryAsian
02-01-2011, 07:49 PM
No work ethic in practice = Tomlin's Ire

Djfan
02-01-2011, 07:51 PM

He might have changed.

proudpittsburgher
02-01-2011, 07:52 PM
I agree. I would give plax a second chance.

Shawn
02-01-2011, 07:55 PM

He might have changed.

Agreed. We just don't know unless we bring him in. Prison has a way of humbling someone. He may now be willing to work and listen.

Can you imagine that core of WRs? Wallace, Ward, Sanders, Miller, Burress and Brown? Sick.

AngryAsian
02-01-2011, 07:56 PM

Sorry brother... his second chance was in New York. No changes in his approach to his job as a professional athlete. This team has other priorities and has already depth at WR.

Djfan
02-01-2011, 07:58 PM

Sorry brother... his second chance was in New York. No changes in his approach to his job as a professional athlete. This team has other priorities and has already depth at WR.

Fair enough.

Starlifter
02-01-2011, 08:04 PM
I feel pretty good about our receiving corps for the next 2 years - and I expect Hines to continue to be part of it. I think, however - it's always a good idea to give a player a look and Plax has so much baggage around him his value is such that economically you could really have little risk and a potentially huge return on investment.

ultimately though, it will never happen. We're not in the market (anytime soon) for new receivers and he will be picked up by a scrub team still trying to put the pieces together.

hawaiiansteel
02-01-2011, 08:06 PM
I'll always love Plax for ruining the Patriots* perfect season... :Cheers

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/79498687.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215AB089EE596C6588F9FD168456BDF23E 1C6C15C0B4D1D22EDFA25E5187A53538

SteelAbility
02-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Hines Ward in a post title? Paging a Crash-bash in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

RuthlessBurgher
02-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Any available free agent cash will be going Woodley and Taylor's way.

papillon
02-01-2011, 10:55 PM
I am telling you guys do not give up on Sweed. By all accounts his problem was he was thinking too much and not reacting. He worked hard on practice, never heard a bad thing about him. He'll get his last chance come this off season. I hope he can make something of it.

Pappy

LordVile
02-01-2011, 11:04 PM
I am telling you guys do not give up on Sweed. By all accounts his problem was he was thinking too much and not reacting. He worked hard on practice, never heard a bad thing about him. He'll get his last chance come this off season. I hope he can make something of it.

Pappy

I was thinking about SWEED last night and FWP for that matter. Good guys that either couldn't get it together or time caught up with em'. But I hope Sweed gets one last chance to redeem himself.. not that we need him, but just so he can redeem himself..

flippy
02-01-2011, 11:43 PM
I feel bad for Plax. I think he means well and is harmless. Just not the brightest guy.

He'd be a good fit in Cincy.

Lonbull
02-02-2011, 01:44 AM
In my opinion there is zero reason to invest anything in Plaxico Burress - he's done here, we need to move on.

I'd rather have Randy Moss than Plaxico - at least give me a guy around the same age who's been playing.

Or we could look to the future and draft either Jonathan Baldwin (Pittsburgh) or Terrence Toliver (LSU) - both are 6'5.

L.B.

Captain Lemming
02-02-2011, 02:36 AM
I feel bad for Plax. I think he means well and is harmless. Just not the brightest guy.

He'd be a good fit in Cincy.
Nice Flippy :lol:

Now we dont want Carson to jump off a bridge now do we? One more knucklehead would do it.

Carson (Bundy) Palmer the day Plax is signed:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IZH83BZECbA/SMCWa9HTdUI/AAAAAAAADwE/5U3SlpDsrpM/s400/Al+Bundy.jpg

Mister Pittsburgh
02-02-2011, 08:13 AM

Pappy

I agree Pap. I think Sweed could surprise us. I also would talk with Plax and see where his head is. I am not above giving a guy a chance to prove what he is all about. I am sure with all the time he has had to sit and think, he knows who he is at this point. Strip away the lavish life and people coddling you, and I imagine you see what matters.

On a side note, did anyone see the video of how Brandon Jacobs basically stepped up while Plax is in jail and has his kids, son specifically, come over like twice a week so he has a male figure to look up to. Pretty big heart by Jacobs there.

proudpittsburgher
02-02-2011, 09:45 AM

Pappy

I respect your opinion, Pappy, as a distinguished member of this board, but I just start wondering how Limas sweed got nude compromising photos of half of the posters on this board who stick with this guy. It has to be blackmail, Especially considering how we treat some of the players who has actually contributed something other than a well-timed block against the Ravens.

feltdizz
02-02-2011, 09:53 AM

Pappy

I respect your opinion, Pappy, as a distinguished member of this board, but I just start wondering how Limas sweed got nude compromising photos of half of the posters on this board who stick with this guy. It has to be blackmail, Especially considering how we treat some of the players who has actually contributed something other than a well-timed block against the Ravens.

upside... Sweed has upside like crazy! :Clap

frankthetank1
02-02-2011, 10:27 AM
no plax please. why do we need him? our wr's are excellent. i want to see more of sanders and brown. this could be our third SB win without plax. plus how good is he going to be? he has to be early 30's and hasnt played in a couple of years. we have a tall receiver his name is heath miller

Northern_Blitz
02-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Someone else will be willing to give Plax a more prominent role than we will.

Here, he'd be competing to be somewhee between 3 & 5 on the depth chart (Wallace & Ward will be #1 & #2). Personally, I'd rather give those touches to 88 & 84. Develop the young wide outs we have now instead of trying to bring back on older guy.

If Ward retired, I'd be OK bringing him back, but otherwise, I'd rather roll with the youth we have. My guess is that some team will give him a shot being the #2, or #3 WR, and we won't.

ikestops85
02-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Why don't we bring back Fred Gibson while we are at it? :wink:

Oviedo
02-02-2011, 11:49 AM

For a veterans minimum contract. But lets face it, the guy would be no better than the #4 receiver here. Really what value is that and how much would that be worth?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-02-2011, 12:15 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 20875.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_720875.html)

Wide receiver Limas Sweed was a star receiver just a few years ago at nearby University of Texas, making him sort of a media darling at Cowboys Stadium. Sweed, who is recovering for an Achilles injury, may not figure into the Steelers plans after the season, given the emergence of rookies Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. Sweed thinks he is in the Steelers' long-term plans. "I believe so," he said.

papillon
02-02-2011, 12:19 PM

Pappy

Here's my reasoning (no nude pictures or any other compromising photos):

He was an outstanding receiver at Texas with good hands
He certainly made physical mistakes and one really boneheaded mental mistake (feigning injury), physical mistakes can be corrected.
Tomlin read him the riot act after the fake injury, he gets back in the game and delivers a key block
He gets open easy and by all accounts was working hard in training camp prior to injury
He's not costing us much right now and won't cost the Steelers anything really to give him one more chance
The physical tools are too good to ignore, IMO
He's never complained about his lot or situation and was being acknowledged for working hard

I can live with that one more time to see if he can make it work: cheap, good physical tools and his head seems to be in the game.

Pappy

ikestops85
02-02-2011, 12:53 PM

Pappy

He certainly made physical mistakes and one really boneheaded mental mistake (feigning injury), physical mistakes can be corrected.
Tomlin read him the riot act after the fake injury, he gets back in the game and delivers a key block
He gets open easy and by all accounts was working hard in training camp prior to injury
He's not costing us much right now and won't cost the Steelers anything really to give him one more chance
He's never complained about his lot or situation and was being acknowledged for working hard

I can live with that one more time to see if he can make it work: cheap, good physical tools and his head seems to be in the game.

Pappy

I hope he recovers from the achilles injury to give it another shot. I would love for him to be a successful receiver for the Steelers. I'm just not real confident that it will happen.

pittpete
02-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Maybe we should sign him so we can make the Superbowl next year.

Hmmmmm, 3 Superbowl appearances since his departure :roll:

:nono :nono :nono :nono

AngryAsian
02-02-2011, 05:54 PM
I want Sweed to resurrect/begin his career. We need a big possession receiver. We have a great young crew at WR... he could be the missing piece. Ben would have all the weaponry he'll need. Just need more depth at OL.

proudpittsburgher
02-02-2011, 09:40 PM

Pappy

Pappy
Totally see his potential but he's been given so many chances and for the most part has failed.