PDA

View Full Version : this has been rehashed so many times, but . . .

proudpittsburgher
02-01-2011, 09:44 AM
. . . if I hear one more time "If Aaron Rogers wins on Sunday, he joins the "elite" quarterback status". :wft So now, winning DOES help with becoming an elite QB??? Unless your name is Ben Roethlisberger, I guess. :roll: Seriously, you have Brady and Manning, and then a revolving door of names tossed into the number 3 spot. Putting aside the fact I am a Steelers fan, I want Ben to win 6 super bowl rings just to shove them all into the collective faces of Mike Golic, Steve Young, whomever. Greeny put it perfect after the AFC title game . . . he was shocked when he looked at Ben's stats after the game, because he was convinced he was the best player on the field. F 'em all.

SidSmythe
02-01-2011, 09:47 AM
I pegged Aaron Rodgers as "Elite" before the beginning of last season. Big Deal ... he's a great QB win or lose.

proudpittsburgher
02-01-2011, 10:03 AM
I pegged Aaron Rodgers as "Elite" before the beginning of last season. Big Deal ... he's a great QB win or lose.

No doubt, I like the kid too and think he's a great QB, but like I said, Golic said if he wins the super bowl, no doubt he joins the "elite" list, but he poo-poos winning when it comes to Ben.

RKSteel
02-01-2011, 10:17 AM
I was having a conversation w/ a Jet fan last week, all he could say was Ben had the worst SB rating and wouldn't be considered a top 10 QB. Pittsburgh is a system and any QB can win in it.

I replied that why the Steelers won SBs w/ Stewart and O'Donnell. :roll:
I told him, we've won 2 SB w/ Ben, I don't care about his stats, all he does is win and if a big play is needed to win the game he'll make it.

F**k the haters. :tt2

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Rodgers can't be considered elite because his team has a good D. Haven't you guys learned anything? If you have a good D then it is impossible to be considered an elite QB. :roll:

feltdizz
02-01-2011, 10:39 AM
I've been hearing that a lot as well. "If he wins a SB he will have to be considered ELITE"

:wft They have been trying to crown this guy since the playoffs started. Someone actually said they believe Rodgers will have an Atlanta type game against us.

What if he has 3 INT's and gets knocked out the game? Then what?

I already think Rodgers is a damn good QB but this love for him is a little gross.

drprwnap
02-01-2011, 10:46 AM
. . . if I hear one more time "If Aaron Rogers wins on Sunday, he joins the "elite" quarterback status". :wft So now, winning DOES help with becoming an elite QB??? Unless your name is Ben Roethlisberger, I guess. :roll: Seriously, you have Brady and Manning, and then a revolving door of names tossed into the number 3 spot. Putting aside the fact I am a Steelers fan, I want Ben to win 6 super bowl rings just to shove them all into the collective faces of Mike Golic, Steve Young, whomever. Greeny put it perfect after the AFC title game . . . he was shocked when he looked at Ben's stats after the game, because he was convinced he was the best player on the field. F 'em all.

The first face he has to shove the rings in is Marshall "Ben has 1 1/2 rings" Faulk. What a DOUCHBAG. The thing that really pisses me off is he's making good money for these asinine statements. :evil: :evil:

sentinel33
02-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Ben is the Van Gogh of his time. Nothing Ben ever accomplishes in his career will be applauded while he is doing it. Except by the fans of The Pittsburgh Steelers. The ones who are smart enough to know a champion whaen they see one(sorry Unitas). And I'm pretty sure that's all he cares about. He obviously doesnt care about stats or TD's. It's just winning with Ben. The sooner people understand this, the sooner the rest of the world will appreciate what he does. To be honest, I don't care if they never get it. He's our QB and the rest of y'all can suck it!

Steelers. ALL THE WAY

Notleadpoisoned
02-01-2011, 11:34 AM
As far as boring cliches go if I had to choose my favorite one I'd take "making plays" over "elite" anyday, but that's just me.

Djfan
02-01-2011, 11:37 AM
As far as boring cliches go if I had to choose my favorite one I'd take "making plays" over "elite" anyday, but that's just me.

And a bunch of SB trophies. They can have their elite status and stats. Ben collects Lombardis.

NW Steeler
02-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Of all people, Michael Irvin has been a HUGE supporter of Ben on NFLN. He gushed about him last night, Deion pretty much agreed with him too. When others talked about the defense, running game, etc., Irvin said that no other QB would have done what Ben has with THIS team. BINGO.

I like the fact that the Steelers are getting very little respect here. They play their best under those circumstances. I think they will have a HUGE chip on their shoulders come Sunday.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-01-2011, 12:03 PM
The problem with football these days is that FF has initiated a whole new breed of fans that truly believe that FF numbers represent how good a player actually is. The media actually rides with this instead of correcting it because they all run or promote FF leagues on their sites - including the NFL.

I had Ben in two leagues this year and I don't think I get any bonus points if he QBs the Steelers to a SB victory so how much can he help me now? :wink:

papillon
02-01-2011, 12:09 PM
The problem with football these days is that FF has initiated a whole new breed of fans that truly believe that FF numbers represent how good a player actually is. The media actually rides with this instead of correcting it because they all run or promote FF leagues on their sites - including the NFL.

I had Ben in two leagues this year and I don't think I get any bonus points if he QBs the Steelers to a SB victory so how much can he help me now? :wink:

Fantasy football is certainly turning people into stat fans and not football fans. Ben has played in two Super Bowls and by all accounts and based on quarterback rating he didn't really play well. What no one ever seems to get around to saying is that he made plays in the biggest moments of each game to help his team win. And, of course, there is no way to determine the affect Ben has on his team mates and in particular, the offensive linemen. You know they love him, you know they'd walk across hot coals to protect him and you know they hate when he's getting disrespected by fans, media and the league, but there isn't a stat to measure any of that. They play above their talent level for Ben.

Pappy

sentinel33
02-01-2011, 12:27 PM
While he certainly didnt play well in his first super bowl, he was slightly above average in his second. Not lookin at the QB rating. cant always go by the rating. especially with ben.

aggiebones
02-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Rodgers is certainly developing into a top QB.
The best QB in the league does not necessarily mean he won.

Most old codgers admit Archie Manning was one of the best. Yet, he won absolutely nothing since he was trapped on such a ridiculously bad team. Couldn't do anything about it back then. Guys are sometimes called winners even when they don't win. A guy can only do what he can with the tools around him. And everyone has different styles.
Manning brings a different skill set to the game than Ben. I'm not sure why we have to pit one against the other in some fabled elite class battle.

As ridiculous as it is to rank players as elite by using fantasy numbers, it is equally ridiculous to pit Ben versus Peyton in a comparison. Peyton is very good, but he wouldn't have survived in Pittsburgh. By the same token, how many Super Bowl's would Ben have had in Indy?

Not really comparable. They play the same position, but are not similar.

If you are picking the best 22 players to go against a Martian squad of football all stars, I think I'd take Peyton or Brady. Why? We'd have an incredible OL and WRs and would only need a distributor. Ben is a play maker in his own right, but those skills wouldn't be necessary with an elite OL.
Yes, this QB evaluation is also ridiculous. I'm just proving a point that to each his own. Ben has a great attitude about this. Let others get the fabled glory, he'll take the real hardware.

Ghost
02-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Take away the names and just throw out the stats:

9-10 in the post season with 1 ring
10-2 in the post season with 2 rings

Is there anyone in the world that would even begin to argue the 1st Qb is the better player come crunch time?

And yet, add Manning to the first stats and all logic gets tossed out the door as people fall over themselves to slob his knob and make six thousand excuses as to why he doesn't win in the post season. Fantasy football has done this.

Crash
02-01-2011, 03:42 PM
My favorite Peyton excuse is that he doesn't have a defense.

skyhawk
02-01-2011, 03:48 PM

Yep, hasn't Manning always had at least a top 10 defense most recently?

AngryAsian
02-01-2011, 03:48 PM

Agreed. Then Dungy should of built one for him that gave him more rings. I hate the excuse makers for Manning. He had a very defensive minded HC for most of his productive years in Indy, but yet "he never had a defense." Lame.