PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey in or out???

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
01-31-2011, 03:01 PM
ESPN says out, Post says 50-50 chance, Steelers list as questionable, WTF!!! If he is out why wouldn't the Steelers simply say he is out, if he has a broken bone how can he be ready to play? This all smells of gamesmanship to me, do you guys think Tomlin is holding back on the injury report to keep the Packers guessing or is there a legitimate shot he can play? Or are both in play?

I believe we NEED Pouncey and am really hopeful he can go, but all this speculation and unconfirmed reporting is driving me nuts!

costanza2k1
01-31-2011, 03:03 PM
After seeing him struggle making it down the steps of the plane today and on crutches...I'd have to say he is out.

Oviedo
01-31-2011, 03:04 PM
He is out. Just like hoping Aaron Smith will play...it's a dream

sentinel33
01-31-2011, 03:21 PM
He's out. This is gamesmanship(and good stuff at that). And the Steelers CAN win without Pouncey. This Team has been getting it done with missing pieces all season long. One final test for the O-line that i will call Job.

Steelers. ALL THE WAY

hawaiiansteel
02-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Steelers' Pouncey says there is a 75 percent chance he will play

By Jason La Canfora NFL Network
NFL Network Insider
Updated: Feb. 1, 2011 at 03:02 p.m.

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Maurkice Pouncey and coach Mike Tomlin of the Pittsburgh Steelers are optimistic that the injured Pro Bowl center will play in Super Bowl XLV on Sunday against the Green Bay Packers, with Pouncey telling NFL Network he believes he has a 75 percent chance of playing.

"I'm defintely not going to count that young man out," Tomlin said of Pouncey on Tuesday. "I don't think anything he's done this year would lead you to believe that he's incapable of showing up. So we're going to give him every opportunity to do so."

Pouncey, who sustained what he termed a high left ankle sprain during the Steelers' AFC Championship Game victory over the New York Jets on Jan. 23, said the ankle is out of a cast and he believes he will "most definitely" play on Sunday.

"My mind right now is stuck on playing," Pouncey told NFL Network analyst Deion Sanders. "I'm preparing the right way for the Green Bay Packers, and we'll see how it goes."

Pouncey wore a walking boot at Tuesday's media day at Cowboys Stadium. He said his treatment is going well, and he expects to practice Thursday or Friday.

"I'm doing a lot of ice and stuff," Pouncey said. "Hopefully I'll be on the bike today moving around a lot better."

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl45/story/09 ... -will-play (http://www.nfl.com/superbowl45/story/09000d5d81e0b772/article/steelers-pouncey-says-there-is-a-75-percent-chance-he-will-play)

Oviedo
02-01-2011, 04:37 PM
After seeing him struggle making it down the steps of the plane today and on crutches...I'd have to say he is out.

:Agree If he plays, screw the Rookie of the Year Award. He deserves to win an Oscar for Best Actor.

No way do I see them risking the cornerstone of the OL for the next decade.

feltdizz
02-01-2011, 04:59 PM

:Agree If he plays, screw the Rookie of the Year Award. He deserves to win an Oscar for Best Actor.

No way do I see them risking the cornerstone of the OL for the next decade.

True... but you never know if you are going to get another chance at a SB. Sure it seems like we will be back every 2 years but you never know.

If he can go... he will go.

Steelgal
02-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Pouncey said 75-25% chance that he'll play. He stated it to Chris Berman at media day. But he's most likley being optimistic and Tomlin will think it's less likely.

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2011, 03:19 AM
Patriots never got a chance to Pounce

FEB 1
By Mike Reiss

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Pittsburgh Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey thought there was a good chance the New England Patriots would select him in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft.

He had visited with Bill Belichick three times and also taken a visit to Gillette Stadium. Few teams had shown such intense interest in the pre-draft process.

But the Patriots didn't have a chance to select Pouncey because the Steelers pounced with the 18th overall pick. While the Patriots didn't get Maurkice -- one of the NFL's top rookie performers in 2010 -- they could now target his identical twin brother Mike, who is a top-rated interior lineman in this year's draft.

"He is a heck of a player," Maurkice Pouncey said this afternoon at Super Bowl Media Day. "If teams don't see that on film, then I don't know what they are looking at."

One of the knocks on Mike Pouncey is that he struggled with the shotgun snap in 2010 as he moved from guard to center to replace Maurkice at Florida. But Maurkice believes those were standard type issues for any first-year center.

Maurkice Pouncey has been a big story here at the Super Bowl after he sustained a high ankle sprain in the AFC Championship against the Jets. He is not expected to play in the Super Bowl but is holding out hope that he has a chance.

As for his pre-draft meetings with Belichick last year, Pouncey smiled.

"He was a joking-around kind of dude," he said. "I don't know why everybody takes him so seriously."

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-engl ... -to-pounce (http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4692682/patriots-never-got-a-chance-to-pounce)

flippy
02-02-2011, 06:37 AM
No way he plays. But GB has extra work preparing for him.

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Pouncey on ankle: 'Miracles do happen'

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, February 2, 2011

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1163575/33925376E.jpg

Super Bowl Set Up
Preparations are under way this week in Arlington, Texas for Super Bowl XLV.

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1163575/33933517E.jpg

Media Day in Dallas
Reporters from around the world interview the Steelers during Super Bowl XLV media day Tuesday February 1, 2011 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

ARLINGTON, Texas If Maurkice Pouncey isn't playing in the Super Bowl, the only one who doesn't know may be Pouncey himself.

Talking extensively for the first time since injuring his left ankle during the AFC Championship Game, the rookie center said Tuesday "there's a real good chance" he will be ready to play at the end of the week. The majority of his teammates and coaches are moving forward like Pouncey already has been ruled out.

"Don't give up on me yet," said Pouncey, who also said his injury is a high ankle sprain -- not a broken bone.

Pouncey, who had a hard cast removed Monday and walked without crutches for the first time yesterday, said he felt surprisingly good. He plans to ride a stationary bike and get some pool work in before testing the ankle during Friday's practice.

A high ankle sprain typically takes four to six weeks to heal. The Super Bowl will be held two weeks since Pouncey was injured.

"Miracles do happen," he said. "Trust me, man, they do happen. I am walking around pretty good, and they didn't expect to have the cast off until later in the week."

Even though Pouncey is still hopeful, offensive line coach Sean Kugler sounded like he'll be without his Pro Bowl center.

"(Doug) Legursky is going to have to play his best, and I am certain he will go out and give it his best effort," Kugler said.

Pouncey said the decision whether he can play ultimately will be his.

"It will probably be one of the hardest things ever," he said. "To get out there and say that I can't play on Super Bowl Sunday, oh man, that's going to be tough."

TWITTER FEED

by James Harrison

jharrison9292 "The circus they call media day is finally over."

by ESPN's Skip Bayless

RealSkipBayless "Has never been player quite like Polamalu. Big hitter, great range, runstuffer, big-play blitzer. Freelancer. Catalyst. Cinch HofFamer."

by Crezdon Butler

butlerboy28 "Just back from media day. Sitting in my hotel room looking outside thought I was in Texas why is it 20 degrees outside."

STEELERS' TAKES

Wide receiver Mike Wallace, on the best piece of advice he's received:

"Hines (Ward) just telling me to be accountable; don't be selfish when you're on a team. Hines does a lot of dirty work. He gets a lot of credit for his catches and stuff, but his blocks are amazing."

Tight end Heath Miller, on Packers linebacker Clay Matthews:

"He's a disrupter. He gets after the quarterback, he's relentless and he's definitely someone who we are going to have to keep off of Ben's back because he can wreak havoc and change the course of a game very quickly."

Linebacker James Harrison, on whether teams fear playing the Steelers' defense because of its hard-hitting reputation:

"I hope not. It's a grown man's game. You go out there and you play with other grown men. I fear no man but God, and I hope everybody else feels the same way."

Defensive end Brett Keisel, on his pregame ritual:

"I kiss my shoes before the game to give me a little bit of love. I listen to the same music; I always listen to Johnny Cash."

Wide receiver Antwaan Randle El, on what he'd like to accomplish in the Super Bowl:

"I want to try to do something that's never been done. There still hasn't been a punt return (for a TD). ... No one's ever caught, thrown and returned a touchdown in one game. I'm going for whatever I can get."

Safety Ryan Clark, on NFL defensive MVP Troy Polamalu:

"That's my guy. Playing with Troy, it's like having a front-row seat to the circus every week."

Joe Rutter

Q&A WITH IKE TAYLOR

How does the experience of going to the Super Bowl change after the first time?

It never gets old. This is what guys work in the offseaon for. This is why coaches do game plans, study countless hours of tape. This is why guys sacrifice during the offseason and season, to get to this point. It's only two teams that's going to be in the Super Bowl. I'm just fortunate to be in my third one. Time will tell on Sunday, but it speaks a lot about this organization and the guys that we have on this team.

Is the lead-up easier now having been through it before?

To be honest, I don't even pay attention to it. I enjoy the moment, be cautious what I say, be cautious what I do and try to prepare my mind and my body leading up to the game. And just have fun when Sunday comes around.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1Cot9K2pm (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_720852.html#ixzz1Cot9K2pm)

flippy
02-02-2011, 04:28 PM
The other positive is no one is bothering Bronco.