PDA

View Full Version : Ward mentoring young recievers

drprwnap
01-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Damn selfish Ward, always looking out for himself. :stirpot

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11031/1121867-66.stm

hawaiiansteel
01-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Hines is divorced and once bashed Ben, the Steelers should keep Hines as far away from the young WRs as possible...there is nothing he can teach them. :)

Crash
01-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Did the receivers have to ask him first, as Hines publicly stated they had?

You guys need to hold Hines accountable for HIS words. He said them. I didn't.

flippy
01-31-2011, 03:53 PM
Did the receivers have to ask him first, as Hines publicly stated they had?

You guys need to hold Hines accountable for HIS words. He said them. I didn't.

Just enjoy the week, bro.

We can worry about Hines drama next week (or the whole offseason) :D

hawaiiansteel
02-01-2011, 04:32 PM
With another title, Ward demands Hall of Fame consideration

By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
Jan. 31, 2011

DALLAS -- It's decision time for Pittsburgh's Hines Ward, and I'm not talking about whether he retires after Super Bowl XLV or not. I'm talking about what happens when he does walk away.

Then what?

You know what I mean. How will Ward be regarded? As a really, really good receiver who led the Steelers to three Super Bowls? Or as an elite one who should join Lynn Swann and John Stallworth in the Pro Football Hall of Fame?

Don't snicker. Ward has more catches, more yards receiving and more touchdowns than Swann or Stallworth -- and it's not close. In fact, his 954 catches are nearly twice as many as Stallworth (537). His 11,702 yards are almost 3,000 more than Stallworth (8,723). And his 83 TDs are 20 more than ... you guessed it ... Stallworth.

So what's the problem? Super Bowls, that's what. But with a third victory, Ward would be only one shy of Stallworth and Swann, which should put him in the conversation. Yeah, I know we're talking about two different eras, with Ward playing when passing is emphasized and its numbers inflated, but tell me he's not a complete receiver ... because he is.

He has sure hands. He makes tough catches. He makes significant catches. He's not afraid to go across the middle. He's one of the game's best and most reliable blockers. And he wins.

"You give me 11 Hines Wards," said former Baltimore coach Brian Billick, now an analyst for Fox and the NFL Network, "and I'll beat you in whatever game you want to play."

And that's my point. It's not numbers that we should pay attention to. It's the guy's body of work, and whenever I think about the Pittsburgh Steelers I can't help but think of Ben Roethlisberger first and Ward second -- and I'm not alone.

Look how he was defended by the New York Jets in the AFC Championship Game. When the Steelers broke the huddle on their opening series Jets' cornerback Darrelle Revis -- arguably the best in the game -- didn't line up opposite Mike Wallace, the team leader in catches and touchdown receptions. He took on Ward.

"If that doesn't tell you how much coaches respect him," said former Steelers' quarterback Mark Malone, now a broadcaster for Westwood One, "I don't know what does. Hines Ward does a lot of things most other receivers don't like to do, like going down the field to knock someone down or throw a block that is critical to making that offense go. He's the heart and soul of that football team. If you're asking me if I think he's a Hall-of-Fame receiver, yes, I think he's a Hall-of-Fame receiver."

Hines Ward hauls in one of his franchise-leading 83 touchdown receptions. (Getty Images) I think it's a push, but that's after checking with some of the Hall's 44 electors. Only one of the persons I consulted said he considered Ward Hall-of-Fame worthy, mostly because he thought his abilities as a receiver and blocker and his knack for making important catches made him "extraordinary." But others either weren't so sure or dismissed the idea, with one voter telling me the Hall of Fame is reserved for the top two or three wide receivers of their generation.

"And I don't think you'd consider Ward one of them," he said.

OK, maybe not. I understand Ward has never been a first-team All Pro, but so what? In 2007, he was named to the Steelers' 75th Season All-Time team. He led the team in catches for 10 consecutive years and tied for the lead in an 11th. He set a team record with 112 receptions in one season. And he was the MVP of Super Bowl XL.

Right there, you have qualifications that at least make him Hall-of-Fame attractive. There's longevity. There's productivity. And there's a distinguished performance on the sport's biggest stage.

"Plus," said one AFC defensive coordinator, "he was damn near uncoverable in the slot."

Now we're talking.

"To me," said one NFC head coach, "he's a tougher Wayne Chrebet. He's unbelievably reliable in terms of consistently catching the ball, like Wayne was, and he's very savvy in terms of understanding where he needs to be in zone coverages.

"He's good in man-to-man coverage, especially when he's in the slot, but he's a much better blocker than Wayne was -- and Wayne was tough. A lot of times when we talked about Hines Ward we called him the wide receiver- version of a tight end, and that's a testament to the guy."

So is this: At 34, he's still enough of a weapon that the Jets felt compelled to put their best cornerback on him. I know he doesn't run as he once did. I know he doesn't make as many catches or score as many touchdowns, either. But he is, as Billick said, "the complete package," and shouldn't that count for something?

It does with me.

"There are a lot of gifted receivers," said Billick, "but if you said, 'Pick five receivers for your team,' yeah, there are a lot of incredible athletes out there you would naturally gravitate toward, from Calvin Johnson to Andre Johnson to Larry Fitzgerald -- guys who can generate the numbers where you can say that maybe this is a better receiver from a tactical or strategic standpoint or from a size or speed standpoint.

"But in terms of the overall mentality and what he brings to the table in terms of competitiveness, the complete package and the clutch catches, I'm not sure Hines Ward wouldn't be one of them."

Predictably, Ward on Monday was asked about retirement, but, as he did last week, indicated he's not ready to make that decision. I know, I know, he told a group of high-school students prior to this season that he'd quit if he won a third Super Bowl. Big deal. It's a free country, and the guy apparently changed his mind.

"I don't want the game to push me away if I still think I can make plays," he said. "Statistically I may be down, but a lot of guys statistically are down this year. I still love the game. I'm still playing at a high level. And as long as I can do that I'm still going to be playing football."

But when he doesn't ... then what? Well, then we have ourselves a debate, people, and let the conversation begin.

http://www.cbssports.com/print/nfl/stor ... sideration (http://www.cbssports.com/print/nfl/story/14626830/with-another-super-bowl-win-ward-demands-hall-of-fame-consideration)

Oviedo
02-01-2011, 04:35 PM
With another title, Ward demands Hall of Fame consideration

By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
Jan. 31, 2011

DALLAS -- It's decision time for Pittsburgh's Hines Ward, and I'm not talking about whether he retires after Super Bowl XLV or not. I'm talking about what happens when he does walk away.

Then what?

You know what I mean. How will Ward be regarded? As a really, really good receiver who led the Steelers to three Super Bowls? Or as an elite one who should join Lynn Swann and John Stallworth in the Pro Football Hall of Fame?

Don't snicker. Ward has more catches, more yards receiving and more touchdowns than Swann or Stallworth -- and it's not close. In fact, his 954 catches are nearly twice as many as Stallworth (537). His 11,702 yards are almost 3,000 more than Stallworth (8,723). And his 83 TDs are 20 more than ... you guessed it ... Stallworth.

So what's the problem? Super Bowls, that's what. But with a third victory, Ward would be only one shy of Stallworth and Swann, which should put him in the conversation. Yeah, I know we're talking about two different eras, with Ward playing when passing is emphasized and its numbers inflated, but tell me he's not a complete receiver ... because he is.

He has sure hands. He makes tough catches. He makes significant catches. He's not afraid to go across the middle. He's one of the game's best and most reliable blockers. And he wins.

"You give me 11 Hines Wards," said former Baltimore coach Brian Billick, now an analyst for Fox and the NFL Network, "and I'll beat you in whatever game you want to play."

And that's my point. It's not numbers that we should pay attention to. It's the guy's body of work, and whenever I think about the Pittsburgh Steelers I can't help but think of Ben Roethlisberger first and Ward second -- and I'm not alone.

Look how he was defended by the New York Jets in the AFC Championship Game. When the Steelers broke the huddle on their opening series Jets' cornerback Darrelle Revis -- arguably the best in the game -- didn't line up opposite Mike Wallace, the team leader in catches and touchdown receptions. He took on Ward.

"If that doesn't tell you how much coaches respect him," said former Steelers' quarterback Mark Malone, now a broadcaster for Westwood One, "I don't know what does. Hines Ward does a lot of things most other receivers don't like to do, like going down the field to knock someone down or throw a block that is critical to making that offense go. He's the heart and soul of that football team. If you're asking me if I think he's a Hall-of-Fame receiver, yes, I think he's a Hall-of-Fame receiver."

Hines Ward hauls in one of his franchise-leading 83 touchdown receptions. (Getty Images) I think it's a push, but that's after checking with some of the Hall's 44 electors. Only one of the persons I consulted said he considered Ward Hall-of-Fame worthy, mostly because he thought his abilities as a receiver and blocker and his knack for making important catches made him "extraordinary." But others either weren't so sure or dismissed the idea, with one voter telling me the Hall of Fame is reserved for the top two or three wide receivers of their generation.

"And I don't think you'd consider Ward one of them," he said.

OK, maybe not. I understand Ward has never been a first-team All Pro, but so what? In 2007, he was named to the Steelers' 75th Season All-Time team. He led the team in catches for 10 consecutive years and tied for the lead in an 11th. He set a team record with 112 receptions in one season. And he was the MVP of Super Bowl XL.

Right there, you have qualifications that at least make him Hall-of-Fame attractive. There's longevity. There's productivity. And there's a distinguished performance on the sport's biggest stage.

"Plus," said one AFC defensive coordinator, "he was damn near uncoverable in the slot."

Now we're talking.

"To me," said one NFC head coach, "he's a tougher Wayne Chrebet. He's unbelievably reliable in terms of consistently catching the ball, like Wayne was, and he's very savvy in terms of understanding where he needs to be in zone coverages.

"He's good in man-to-man coverage, especially when he's in the slot, but he's a much better blocker than Wayne was -- and Wayne was tough. A lot of times when we talked about Hines Ward we called him the wide receiver- version of a tight end, and that's a testament to the guy."

So is this: At 34, he's still enough of a weapon that the Jets felt compelled to put their best cornerback on him. I know he doesn't run as he once did. I know he doesn't make as many catches or score as many touchdowns, either. But he is, as Billick said, "the complete package," and shouldn't that count for something?

It does with me.

"There are a lot of gifted receivers," said Billick, "but if you said, 'Pick five receivers for your team,' yeah, there are a lot of incredible athletes out there you would naturally gravitate toward, from Calvin Johnson to Andre Johnson to Larry Fitzgerald -- guys who can generate the numbers where you can say that maybe this is a better receiver from a tactical or strategic standpoint or from a size or speed standpoint.

"But in terms of the overall mentality and what he brings to the table in terms of competitiveness, the complete package and the clutch catches, I'm not sure Hines Ward wouldn't be one of them."

Predictably, Ward on Monday was asked about retirement, but, as he did last week, indicated he's not ready to make that decision. I know, I know, he told a group of high-school students prior to this season that he'd quit if he won a third Super Bowl. Big deal. It's a free country, and the guy apparently changed his mind.

"I don't want the game to push me away if I still think I can make plays," he said. "Statistically I may be down, but a lot of guys statistically are down this year. I still love the game. I'm still playing at a high level. And as long as I can do that I'm still going to be playing football."

But when he doesn't ... then what? Well, then we have ourselves a debate, people, and let the conversation begin.

http://www.cbssports.com/print/nfl/stor ... sideration (http://www.cbssports.com/print/nfl/story/14626830/with-another-super-bowl-win-ward-demands-hall-of-fame-consideration)

Hines really needs to come back and get his 40+ catches next year to have 1000 for his career. That is going to be the new mininmum standard for the HoF because the league has become so pass happy

feltdizz
02-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Did Hines bring his mirror? :lol:

steelblood
02-01-2011, 05:28 PM
He'll have better numbers than Michael Irvin in many categories. He played most of his career on a run-first team. He has adjusted his game as he has aged and found ways to succeed. Grit, determination, toughness, results, stats, super bowls. What do these losers want? They believe that he must be considered the best athlete? Bullcrap. Have gawdy stats in individual seasons? That usually means that the rest of your offense sucked.

hawaiiansteel
02-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Hines Ward wants Plaxico Burress back

Posted by Mike Florio on February 1, 2011

Several years ago, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said that hed like to add a tall receiver to his arsenal of targets. Receiver Hines Ward didnt appreciate the remark.

I dont hear Tom Brady or Peyton Manning asking for that, Ward said at the time. I dont buy into height. Look at my red-zone touchdowns. I have as many as anyone in the league.

Now, look whos asking for a tall receiver.

According to Gary Myers of the New York Daily News (via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News), Ward said Tuesday that he wants the Steelers to sign Plaxico Burress once he is released from jail.

Burress was drafted by the Steelers in 2000. He signed with the Giants in 2005.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ress-back/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/01/hines-ward-wants-plaxico-burress-back/)

skyhawk
02-01-2011, 09:34 PM
He'll have better numbers than Michael Irvin in many categories. He played most of his career on a run-first team. He has adjusted his game as he has aged and found ways to succeed. Grit, determination, toughness, results, stats, super bowls. What do these losers want? They believe that he must be considered the best athlete? Bullcrap. Have gawdy stats in individual seasons? That usually means that the rest of your offense sucked.

Hines is an ELITE athlete.

hawaiiansteel
02-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Ward is Steelers' receivers' peerless leader

By: Mike Bires Beaver County Times
Thursday February 3, 2011

http://media.timesonline.com/thumb/368x276/04wardweb800460.jpg

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward, right, answers questions during a news conference on Thursday, Feb. 3, 2011, in Fort Worth, Texas. The Steelers will play the Green Bay Packers in NFL football Super Bowl XLV Sunday, Feb. 6. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey)

FORT WORTH, Texas Hines Ward likes to call himself the leader of the wideouts.

Hes not bragging when he says it, and none of his teammates ever have a problem with it. Everyone knows thats exactly what he is. He leads with his play. He leads with a willingness to share his knowledge with any of the wide receivers whove joined the team over the past 13 years.

And Thursday night, Ward led again by gathering up the entire Steelers wideout corps and taking them out to dinner on his dime.

I just want to get their whole perspective on the Super Bowl, to see where theyre at, he said. I thought it would be kind of unique for all the wideouts to get together and break bread and eat together, sit around at the table and talk about our experience.

It must have been priceless for second-year pro Mike Wallace and rookies Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown to experience a relaxing night out in North Texas with Ward just three days before Super Bowl XLV.

I remember how ecstatic I was when the Steelers drafted me, Sanders said. How great it was to be going to a great organization like the Steelers with the Rooney family and their winning tradition. But, I was really ecstatic because my mentor is Hines Ward.

Hes been playing in the NFL for 13 years. Hes got two Super Bowl rings. Hes a Super Bowl MVP. I couldnt have come into a better situation. I was just trying to get in there and get under his wing. In meetings, when hes talking, I constantly listen to him and try to see the game how he sees it because of everything that he has accomplished, I want to accomplish. I know hes going to help me in all phases of it.

Certainly, Ward has accomplished much since he was taken by the Steelers in the third round in 1998. Hes put up numbers worthy of serious Hall of Fame consideration. Hes the franchise leader in 15 statistical categories, including most catches (954), receiving yards (11,702), touchdown catches (83) and most receptions in a season (112 in 2002).

Ward has 81 more career catches than John Stallworth (537) and Lynn Swann (336) combined. And both of those former Steelers are in the Hall of Fame.

They epitomize what a Steeler wide receiver is all about, Ward said. Ive been very blessed to be in a great organization, much less surpass those guys or have my named mentioned with Swann and Stallworth. Its a big honor.

Advertisement
Those guys won four Super Bowls. I have an opportunity to win three. Im very excited for that opportunity.

It will only help Wards chances of Hall of Fame induction if the Steelers beat the Packers on Sunday. That would be especially true if he plays well.

Ward does have a history of playing well in big games. Hes caught at least one pass in all 16 playoff games hes played. In those games, he caught 81 passes for 1,103 yards and nine touchdowns.

Of course, his most memorable postseason game was Super Bowl XL in Detroit. In that win, Ward caught five passes for 123 yards, with 43 of those yards coming on a flea-flicker thrown by wide receiver Antwaan Randle El.

To still be here at such a high level after 13 years is really amazing, said Ward, who caught 59 passes for 755 yards and five TDs during the regular season.

In every Super Bowl Ive played in, Ive had a different counterpoint opposite me. I just remember Randle El throwing me the ball in Super Bowl XL, then Santonio Holmes in Super Bowl XLIII catching that ball in the end zone.

And here I am, still plugging along at it. I know one day, eventually, one of these young guys will replace me. But you know, I dont look at that. Its not what they do, its what I do. If I start to see signs that Im falling off, or Im not getting open against guys that I think I should get open, Ill walk away from the game easily.

But that wont happen after Sunday night, win or lose.

Ward, 34, has no intention of calling it a career. Hes not going to do what Jerome Bettis did six years ago after helping the Steelers win a Super Bowl in his native Detroit and retire while hes on top of the football world.

Im not retiring. Im not in the mood to retire, said Ward, whos under contract through the 2013 season.

That was the number one question that was asked of me this week. Its almost like theyre pushing me out. But until coach (Mike) Tomlin says he does not need my services anymore, I am going to continue playing.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... eader.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2011/february/03/ward-is-steelers-receivers-peerless-leader.html)