PDA

View Full Version : Goodell's Comments On Ben and Teammates

Jooser
01-31-2011, 01:14 PM
I wish I could say this is a surprise. Goodell really dislikes Ben. The timing of this article is a real brow raiser too, I mean to come out and say that no Steelers would support Ben during Super Bowl week? I think he's trying to divide us before the game. I have a feeling we're going to win this thing Sunday, and I hope Goodell has to endure BB as MVP in the end as well!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... h-goodell/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/31/teammates-wouldnt-go-to-bat-for-roethlisberger-with-goodell/)

Teammates wouldn’t go to bat for Roethlisberger with Goodell

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 31, 2011, 8:10 AM EST

Ben Roethlisberger may win his third Super Bowl with the Steelers on Sunday — and perhaps his first with teammates who actually like him.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated writes in today’s Monday Morning Quarterback column that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told him he talked to two dozen Steelers while he was deciding how to punish Roethlisberger at the beginning of this season, and to a man, Roethlisberger’s teammates declined to say anything supportive of their quarterback.

“Not one, not a single player, went to his defense,” Goodell told King. “It wasn’t personal in a sense, but all kinds of stories like, ‘He won’t sign my jersey.’ ”

Goodell also told King he “doesn’t feel any connection” with Roethlisberger.

From all indications, however, Roethlisberger has made a concerted effort to change his ways since returning from his four-game suspension at the start of the 2010 season — and has started to earn the respect of teammates who, six months ago, weren’t prepared to speak to the commissioner on his behalf.

ikestops85
01-31-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm glad Ben doesn't have any connection with Goodell. We want him to stay away from low class hypocrites.

grotonsteel
01-31-2011, 01:18 PM
I was about to post this....

The timing is simply horrendous...Why the hell Roger BADall wants to create a rift among team members by saying no one supported Ben...especially during SB week...

BADall does not want Steelers to win the SB. Steelers need to overcome Packers and Ref.

I hope Ben win the SB and shows the Lombardi in BADall ar$e.

RuthlessBurgher
01-31-2011, 01:27 PM
In that same article, he seems to be rooting for the convicted dog killer to win a Super Bowl so that he can hand him the MVP award.

But Michael said to me, he said my number one goal is to make you proud and ... win that Super Bowl and be that MVP. We talk about that every once in a while. And it could happen. It would be a pretty cool moment.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/01/30/super-bowl-week/index.html?eref=sihp

feltdizz
01-31-2011, 01:30 PM
All this does is make our team stronger...

"wouldn't sign my jersey!" WTF?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Well, does he say when Goodell told him this? Is this Goodell coming out superbowl week and saying this, or is it peter king that held that info until today, or is it smith taking a statement out of kings article, probably the worst and most damning statement, and using that as a basis to go with? Who knows.

I doubt Ben gives a crap and his teammates seem to like him now. To even make statements like Ben is changed or whatever at this point is useless. Ben needs to go through the rest of his career, and post career, being a good dude for it to matter. If he acts cool for 3 seasons then turns back into a jerk, it was all phony and doesn't matter. Only person that knows if Ben has changed or not, is Ben.

Leper Friend
01-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Goodell also told King he “doesn’t feel any connection” with Roethlisberger.

What does this have to do with anything ? Who cares if they have no connection ?

This shows me how badly Goodell wants to show his control. Vick has turned into his little lap dog and Goodell praises him every chance he gets.Ben won't kiss his ass and Goodell is upset.There is no real reason for the 2 of them to have a connection and it's completely irrelevant if they did anyway.

flippy
01-31-2011, 01:40 PM
All this does is make our team stronger...

"wouldn't sign my jersey!" WTF?

Agreed. Teammates unite!!!!

snarky
01-31-2011, 01:43 PM
I feel no connection with Roger Goodell.

Ghost
01-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Here's that King wrote:

Goodell said he "doesn't feel any connection'' with Ben Roethlisberger. Not too surprising there. I'd always heard Roethlisberger felt he got railroaded on his six-game suspension that was reduced to four. But Goodell said he had "some very tough times'' with Chicago defensive tackle Tank Johnson before suspending him, and that Donte' Stallworth chafed when first told he'd be suspended for a year after a car Stallworth was driving struck a man on a Miami causeway and killed him, with the player being legally drunk at the time.

"The one thing I take a little bit of issue with is when guys tell me they're being screwed,'' Goodell said. "[Most often] they're not recognizing they have a role in it.'' Regarding Roethlisberger, Goodell said when he was investigating what to do with the quarterback, he talked to "I bet two dozen [Steeler] players ... Not one, not a single player, went to his defense. It wasn't personal in a sense, but all kinds of stories like, 'He won't sign my jersey.' ''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... z1CdTO1sQ8 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/01/30/super-bowl-week/index.html#ixzz1CdTO1sQ8)

Reading the article, what I took from it was (and this is my opinion) - Goodell loved Vick kissing his backside and telling Goodell he wants to make him proud where as Ben met with him because he had to but didn't kiss the "king's" ring. RG is an a$$hole.

Crash
01-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Who did he talk to? And why is he talking about this now?

Anyone want to tell me now that Goodell doesn't deliberately try to fu*k up our teams' success?

Just type it in this thread:

"Crash was right"

You'll feel better.

Crash
01-31-2011, 02:33 PM
[youtube:2115qzff]CQFEY9RIRJA[/youtube:2115qzff]

Oviedo
01-31-2011, 02:44 PM

Anyone want to tell me now that Goodell doesn't deliberately try to fu*k up our teams' success?

"Crash was right"

You'll feel better.

"Crash, and Oviedo, have been right all along"

Goodell does not want to have to hand Ben the trophy and be asked about the whole GA incident.

That is why it will be so sweet when he has to.

JAR
01-31-2011, 02:46 PM

"Crash was right"

You'll feel better.

"Crash, and Oviedo, have been right all along"

Goodell does not want to have to hand Ben the trophy and be asked about the whole GA incident.

That is why it will be so sweet when he has to.

And if Ben wins MVP also maybe it'll do Goodell in.

Eich
01-31-2011, 02:57 PM
If Ray Lewis can be accused of worse, and plead down and be convicted of a lesser crime and then win the Super Bowl in the same year and subsequently be loved by the media, the league and Goddell. Then why can't Ben, who's only been ACCUSED of something?

aggiebones
01-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Inappropriate is the only legit word I can come up with to describe this move.
I'm not rehashing the should he, shouldn't he be suspended argument. But this was totally out of line for someone in his position.
Its like Goodell's last chance to knock Ben down since he's made it to the Super Bowl. Hey, how about talking about how his current teammates have his back after this season. Yes, maybe there was division at times in the locker room. So talk about how that has changed, not what was last year. Total Bush league move and just shows that no matter what he does, Goodell lost this battle.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Another aspect to this is that Goodell just blew a WHOLE lot of capital/goodwill from the Rooney's.

I suspect his (Goodell's) job security just dropped a WHOLE lot.

Just my :2c

ScoreKeeper
01-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Inappropriate is the only legit word I can come up with to describe this move.
I'm not rehashing the should he, shouldn't he be suspended argument. But this was totally out of line for someone in his position.
Its like Goodell's last chance to knock Ben down since he's made it to the Super Bowl. Hey, how about talking about how his current teammates have his back after this season. Yes, maybe there was division at times in the locker room. So talk about how that has changed, not what was last year. Total Bush league move and just shows that no matter what he does, Goodell lost this battle.
If no team-mates had his back, then why did Deebo refuse to talk to The Fan after that di ck Starky roasted Ben?

sentinel33
01-31-2011, 03:06 PM
Probably the worst thing Goodell could've done. It's one thing for the Steelers to be underdogs, but to deliberately try to tear the team apart is simply the last straw for Roger. If any of the players are even half as pi$$ed as i am right now, it will be a long night for the packers on Sunday. Complete BS!!!

steelblood
01-31-2011, 03:15 PM
In the two dozen players, did he talk to any offensive linemen? Ben does plenty for those guys.

King should be ashamed of himself for printing this now. King should also know better than to assume that Goodell doesn't have ulterior motives.

Crash
01-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Injury never holds Roethlisberger back
Sunday, January 11, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers' quarterback was stretched out on the field near the end of the first half and carted on a stretcher into the locker room. His teammates and coaches thought he was done for the season.

Not close. Not only did he play again that year, he trotted onto the field to start the second half of the game and led them to victory.

Those who have watched Ben Roethlisberger play the past five seasons know that kind of scenario is well within his character, the same as it was Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw. Indeed, Bradshaw seemed down and out many times in his career, only to return as he did on that Oct. 1, 1972 day in St. Louis.

"We thought he broke his ankle," said Ralph Berlin, the Steelers' longtime trainer, now retired. "We got him inside, got the tape off, and he started walking around and said, 'This feels pretty damn good.' We taped it back up, and he started the second half."

Bradshaw returned and threw a 38-yard touchdown to Frank Lewis with 1:06 left for a 25-19 victory in the third game of the season. It helped launch the Steelers to the first division championship in their history, an important step to their four Super Bowl triumphs in the 1970s. And it helped make possible the Immaculate Reception victory against Oakland, their first playoff win.

Many people see similarities in Bradshaw and Roethlisberger, two big, hard-throwing quarterbacks who went down hard, bounced back quickly -- seemingly miraculously at times -- and were always looking to make plays.

Sometimes, they held the ball too long and paid a price; often, they held it just long enough to pull off a magnificent play.

Roethlisberger's best example this season came in Jacksonville when he completed a third-down pass late, with two Jaguars hanging on him, that led to a comeback victory.

"Ben is like Bradshaw," said 1970s safety Mike Wagner. "He's going to fight to the bitter end to make a play.

"Whether it's the Immaculate Reception or Ben running around to make a play, both were trying to achieve the same thing. They're both talented hard-nosed guys."

Wagner has heard things said about Roethlisberger that were said about Bradshaw 30 years ago -- that they milk injuries for high drama. It began for Roethlisberger when he complained about having broken toes after the AFC championship game loss to New England in his rookie season, and coach Bill Cowher disputed it. It's happening again because he was dramatically carted off the field on a stretcher Dec. 28 near the end of the first half against Cleveland, even though it was "only" a mild concussion.

"Sometimes, fans and the media don't appreciate the nature of an injury because the only one who can is the player," Wagner said.

Roethlisberger will bounce back again from an injury to start in the divisional playoff today against the San Diego Chargers at Heinz Field. If that's drama, his teammates are all for it.

"Ben's a damn tough guy," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "He's one of the biggest competitors in this locker room. Any time anyone goes down and someone's poking their fingers and they can't feel it, that's scary. Anytime you get numbness and things like that you have to take every precaution. That's the trainers' job to do that, and they did it. Luckily, it was only as severe as it was and he can hopefully help us win this week."

Roethlisberger has been sacked 139 times over three seasons, yet he's missed just two starts in the past 3 1/2 seasons: the 2007 meaningless regular-season finale at Baltimore and the 2006 opener after his appendectomy, which came after his June motorcycle accident.

"Look at what the guy's been through from the time he got here," Keisel said. "He's been through a lot and still stands up in the pocket and makes guys miss and makes plays for us. I think he's tough as hell."

His teammates voted him co-captain of the offense this season, and he's not the aloof quarterback some make him out to be, especially with his offensive linemen. They play poker almost weekly at his house, he often takes them to dinner and he paid all their expenses to fly to Chicago during the bye week this season to celebrate center Justin Hartwig's birthday.

"He took care of everything," Hartwig said. "He takes care of us. He does a lot of good things for us off the field. He's a good dude."

Bradshaw's last dramatic comeback occurred in 1983. The Steelers needed a victory against the Jets in New York to make the playoffs. Bradshaw had not played all season because of an injured right elbow. He started that game, threw two touchdown passes and walked off the field clutching his elbow. It was his final gift to the Steelers and their fans. They won that game to make the playoffs, and Bradshaw never played again.

Dick Hoak, who coached those teams as well as through Roethlisberger's first three years, sees the similarities.

"Ben's a tough guy, he takes a lot of hits," Hoak said. "Some of it is his fault, some the line's fault. He's always trying to make a play, so he's going to get a lot more hits than a regular quarterback. That's the difference between him and other guys."

There's another difference -- a big one. Ben Roethlisberger, like Terry Bradshaw, wins. His 51-20 record is the second-best percentage in the league behind Tom Brady. And today, he starts another journey that could again land him in familiar Bradshaw territory: the Super Bowl.• -was also his first game after an offseason motorcycle accident

Teammates embrace Big Ben as Steelers leader

Thursday, September 04, 2008

Even without the new $100 million contract, the new C on his jersey, the new Pro Bowl ring, and the old Terry Bradshaw touchdown record, Ben Roethlisberger would be a superstar in Pittsburgh.

He is, after all, the only quarterback besides Bradshaw to win a Super Bowl for the Steelers, he enters his fifth season among the best at his position in the NFL and he maintains his sense of humor.

"If I get too big-headed, I get in motorcycle accidents," Roethlisberger cracked yesterday when the praise stacked high.

The place where he really has made progress, however, is in the locker room. Where once he seemed a loner and punk to teammates -- Hines Ward once called him "our wild child" -- he's now embraced more as a leader and even a friend by them. That was made more evident Monday when his teammates voted him and Ward co-captains of the offense.

"When you're young, you're young," said defensive end Aaron Smith, 32. "He's definitely matured. He's stepped into a leading role on this team, as a captain and as a player. I think he's really come a long way. He's always been a great player, but as a person and as a player, he's come a long way.

The old NFL philosophy was that it took five years for a quarterback to develop in the pros. Entering his fifth, Roethlisberger already achieved most everything. And now, there's little doubt that he also has attained control of his team. He has the track record and, at 26, the maturity to take over.

"Actually, he was a leader last year but now a lot of old faces aren't here anymore," Willie Parker said, "so it's his time to shine. He's really stepping up."

It's as if, since the departure of longtime offensive leader Alan Faneca, Roethlisberger has seized the chance to take control.

"You can tell that he realizes this is his team," tight end Heath Miller said.

A new head coach in Mike Tomlin and new coordinator in Bruce Arians gave Roethlisberger more responsibility last year by soliciting his input into the playbook, the game plans and the pass protections. He will have more this year, perhaps even an increased use of the no-huddle he ran so well at Miami (Ohio) University.

"The more I spend time with Bruce and we learn and make adjustments, the more freedom he will give me to make changes and adjust and hopefully get us in the right place and the best play possible," Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger broke Bradshaw's club record with 32 touchdown passes and his own record with a 104.1 passer rating last season. It was the best of his four, statistically, but Ward thinks we haven't seen anything yet.

"It's like night and day. Last year was his best year but it's scary now because he's starting to know his second and third reads and all that. You wonder how much better a season he can have coming into the second year of [Arians'] offense and having a better understanding of that."

Defensive end Brett Keisel is the closest friend Roethlisberger has in the locker room, and he disputes that the quarterback was snubbed last year when the players voted linebacker James Harrison as their MVP.

"Not to say Ben didn't play great last year," Keisel said, "but everyone thought James not only dominated on defense but on special teams too, and I think that's where he got the nod for that vote.

"Ben is a leader, he's a great leader. If you watch practice, you watch him, he has control of all his guys, he has control of the offensive line, everyone looks up to him for leadership. I think they're seeing that from him this year and that's why they elected him captain."

Because Roethlisberger is not big in the fantasy football world, he's not often mentioned among the league's best quarterbacks. But by any measure, he should be considered right after Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. His .709 winning percentage as a starter (39-16) is third among the league's quarterbacks and if he had 64 more passing attempts to qualify for the minimum of 1,500, his 92.5 career passer rating would rank him fifth in NFL history behind Steve Young at 96.8, Manning at 94.7, Kurt Warner at 93.2 and Brady at 92.9.

He did all this in his first four seasons in the league.

What might he do in his next four years, between now and 30?

"He's a young guy," Keisel said. "I think his best years are ahead of him. I think he gets better every year and he wants to win. He has that winner's attitude where he hates losing. He wants to do anything to win, and that's what the great quarterbacks have."

That others around the league have not yet concluded that Roethlisberger is such a quarterback might be their own fault, based on his accomplishments. He became the only quarterback in NFL history to go 13-0 as a starter and he did it as a rookie, then became the youngest starting quarterback to win a Super Bowl in his second season. His performance last season showed that 2006 was a fluke.

The acceptance in his own locker room is palpable.

"I really enjoy being around him," Aaron Smith said.

I guess Goodell didn't talk to those players.

I'm calling BS on it too.

Crash
01-31-2011, 05:11 PM
If Ray Lewis can be accused of worse, and plead down and be convicted of a lesser crime and then win the Super Bowl in the same year and subsequently be loved by the media, the league and Goddell. Then why can't Ben, who's only been ACCUSED of something?

Because Goodell grew up near Baltimore and Ben owns their a$$ and Goodell hates that.

He's 9-2 against them.

Steelerphile
01-31-2011, 05:53 PM
If Goodell is quoted accurately, then my intuitive negative reaction to Goodell is justified. This joker is ill-equipped to have the power that he has been granted to lead the NFL. His insistence on an 18-game season bears testimony to his ignorance.

There is no context in this statement, that nobody came to his defense. That is something you would hear in 7th grade from some immature kid trying to drag a rival down behind his back.

I'm not sure if I agree that he is trying to destroy the Steelers. I just don't think he is weighty and deep enough in his thinking.

Crash
01-31-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm not sure if I agree that he is trying to destroy the Steelers.

Goodell's conduct suggests otherwise.

Crash
01-31-2011, 06:20 PM
Ed: Goodell Delivers Low Blow to Ben
Monday, 31 January 2011 17:03
Written by Ed Bouchette

Roger Goodell delivered a low blow to Ben Roethlisberger when he told Peter King of Sports Illustrated that none of the two dozen Steelers he interviewed came to the quarterback’s defense.

Here is the quote from King’s Monday Morning Quarterback column from today:

"I bet two dozen [Steeler] players ... Not one, not a single player, went to his defense. It wasn't personal in a sense, but all kinds of stories like, 'He won't sign my jersey.' ''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... z1CeWUc5pr (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/wr....l#ixzz1CeWUc5pr)

I spoke with King a little bit ago here and he told me the interview with Goodell that produced that column came on Jan. 7. He was working on a story for the magazine and talked to the commissioner about Tank Johnson, Michael Vick and Roethlisberger. The quote did not make the magazine story so Peter used it in his MMQ. So while Goodell did not wait unti the eve of the Super Bowl to dredge up more stuff on the Steelers quarterback, why did he do it at all? What purpose did that serve, to say that none of BR’s teammates came to his defense.

First off, I can guarantee you that Goodell did not interview 24 Steelers players. He did not come to Pittsburgh and they did not go to New York. He had investigators do it. And several Steelers were aghast today at what the commissioner said because they said they did defend their quarterback.

And to add the picky stuff about “He won’t sign my jersey.’’ What the blue blazes does that have to do with anything?

It was a very low blow by Goodell and he should apologize to both the Steelers and Roethlisberger for delivering it.

DukieBoy
01-31-2011, 06:21 PM
So, what was Att. Goodell's line of questioning the other players? Something like this?

Hi. I'm Commissioner Goodell. I am interviewing you about Ben Roethlisberger and what went on in Georgia and in Nevada before that. I have a few questions for you to answer.

Goodell: So, do you know who Ben Roethisberger is?

Player: Yeah, he's the quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Goodell: But you didn't say "He quarterback for my team", or "He's my quarterback", did you?

Player: Well, no, but ...

Goodell: Well, what did he do to you? Did he yell at you or something like that?

Player: He did get hot a couple of times when ...

Goodell: Did he ignore you in the locker room?

Player: Well, his locker is always surrounded by media and ...

Goodell: And so he ignores you -OK, let's move on. Do you know anything about what Ben did down in Georgia?

Player: Uh, no.

Do you know anything about what Ben did out in Nevada?

Player: Uh, no.

Goodell: Sounds like you don't know your own teammate, your team's quarterback Ben Roethlisberger very well. You don't know him very well do you ? He doesn't even think of you as a teammate, apparently.

Player: No, that's not ...

Goodell: That's what I thought. Now, has Ben ever signed a jersey for you or anything?

Player: Well, I never ...

Goodell: Exactly what I thought. Do you have anything else to say about Roethlisberger?

Player: You make it sound like I don't like him or ...

Goodell: OK. Thanks for summarizing your thoughts and feelings about about Ben. You have been helpful to the Commissioner's office in conducting a thorough and focused investigation. We are interested in the integrity of the game, first and foremost. Good job ... I am sure YOU will make for a good teammate for the other Steelers. You are dismissed.

SteelBucks
01-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Another aspect to this is that Goodell just blew a WHOLE lot of capital/goodwill from the Rooney's.

I suspect his (Goodell's) job security just dropped a WHOLE lot.

Just my :2c

Goodell losing his job should be part of the next CBA.

Worst.......Commissioner.......Ever.

feltdizz
01-31-2011, 06:31 PM
OK, after some thought and Bouchette's article I think King may be strirring the pot with this one. How does a line with that much red meat not make the SI column? If this was said on Jan 7th why write about it on the eve of the SB?

The whole story is juvenile and smells of desperation. I have no idea if Goodell used those exact words and honestly, it doesn't sound like anyhing a grown man would say.

Crash
01-31-2011, 06:35 PM
I have no idea if Goodell used those exact words and honestly, it doesn't sound like anyhing a grown man would say.

It sounds like Goodell to the letter. Not thinking before he speaks.

Or as I've told you for months, our own worst enemy is Goodell.

You can admit that now, it's OK.

DukieBoy
01-31-2011, 06:53 PM
Goodell will claim credit for the redemption of players who do well after he sentences them, and he's claim credit for defending the integrity of the game if they falter and are disciplined again (not that he did much to protect the integrity of the game where the Cheatriots*** and Spygate are concerned).

ScoreKeeper
01-31-2011, 07:00 PM
OK, after some thought and Bouchette's article I think King may be strirring the pot with this one. How does a line with that much red meat not make the SI column? If this was said on Jan 7th why write about it on the eve of the SB?

The whole story is juvenile and smells of desperation. I have no idea if Goodell used those exact words and honestly, it doesn't sound like anyhing a grown man would say.
Do you really think King would mis-quote the Commish and think he'll ever get another quote from him?

King is far more professional than that.

pittpete
01-31-2011, 07:04 PM
How great would it be for Ben to raise the Superbowl trophy and say "Thank You Roger, this is for you" on National TV

Crash
01-31-2011, 07:11 PM
If we win when whoever "walks" the trophy to the stage, I say we grab it and just go into the locker room and leave the FOX people and Goodell standing there like the stooges they are.

Scarletfire1970
01-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Because the media and casual fans tend to like or love the Ravens. They all hate the Steelers for the most part.

fezziwig
01-31-2011, 08:46 PM
Because the media and casual fans tend to like or love the Ravens. They all hate the Steelers for the most part.

I don't know if the media loves the ravens. I don't believe many people outside of football fans would put the ravens, Baltimore and football together.
The Steelers, Packers, Browns, Jets, Colts, Dolphins are house hold names. The Ravens, Titans, Seahawks, Texans are teams that very few see or relate to. If it wasn't for one lucky season the Ravens wouldn't even be known to many of their division teams. Take away Ray Lewis and his mouth, his stupid anal dance and they have no identity at all.

Scarletfire1970
01-31-2011, 08:55 PM

I don't know if the media loves the ravens. I don't believe many people outside of football fans would put the ravens, Baltimore and football together.
The Steelers, Packers, Browns, Jets, Colts, Dolphins are house hold names. The Ravens, Titans, Seahawks, Texans are teams that very few see or relate to. If it wasn't for one lucky season the Ravens wouldn't even be known to many of their division teams. Take away Ray Lewis and his mouth, his stupid anal dance and they have no identity at all.No they do. At least in these parts (Philly) they do. And the media LOVES them. They are picked to beat us every year and win the division. They are also picked alot to go to the SB. We are always picked to finish 3rd behind them and Cinci (at least this year we were). I can't remember the last time we were picked to win the division

Crash
01-31-2011, 09:02 PM
Roger Goodell paraded ex-con ray Lewis onto the draft day stage and referred him as "The Great Ray Lewis" the very week he suspended uncharged Ben.

So the league not only condones the hype Ray Lewis gets, they actively increase it themselves.

spyboots
01-31-2011, 09:15 PM
have "no connection with" Ben = message to refs

DukieBoy
01-31-2011, 09:19 PM

Yeah. Goodell reminds me of Warden Hazen in "The Longest Yard" (esp the 1974 version with Eddie Albert in that role).

fezziwig
01-31-2011, 09:51 PM

Yeah. Goodell reminds me of Warden Hazen in "The Longest Yard" (esp the 1974 version with Eddie Albert in that role).

Goodell is more like Arnold the pig from Green Acres. You know what ? That is being tough on Arnold and all other pigs.

DukieBoy
01-31-2011, 10:00 PM

Goodell is more like Arnold the pig from Green Acres. You know what ? That is being tough on Arnold and all other pigs.
PETA is coming after you, Fezz.

feltdizz
01-31-2011, 10:00 PM

what? People don't love the Ravens.... what is there to love? Philly slobbers over the Tavens because they aren't in the NFC and they are right down the street. Philly doesn't like the Steelers because their cities are worlds apart.

Scarletfire1970
01-31-2011, 10:07 PM

what? People don't love the Ravens.... what is there to love? Philly slobbers over the Tavens because they aren't in the NFC and they are right down the street. Philly doesn't like the Steelers because their cities are worlds apart.
Most non Steelers fans I know like the Ravens. And they certainly root for them when we play them, or maybe they just root against us. And the media...they freakin LOVE them.

Crash
01-31-2011, 10:17 PM
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ ... _deep.html (http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/08/goodells_ties_to_baltimore_run_deep.html)

feltdizz
01-31-2011, 10:32 PM

Most non Steelers fans I know like the Ravens. And they certainly root for them when we play them, or maybe they just root against us. And the media...they freakin LOVE them.

yeah I think most fans root against us and not for them. Think about how many Ravens hats you see everyday? I see at least 25 to 30 Steeler logos every day in Charlotte. I probably see a Ravens logo once every 2 months. LOL

now about this Goodell story... Talk about a desperate attempt for some ratings. Now every Steeler, well at least 24 will get the question.

Ghost
01-31-2011, 10:34 PM
The more I think about this the more I realize what a f*cking disgrace this is coming from what's supposed to be an impartial comissioner. Bouchette is right - he owes the Steelers, Rooneys, and Roethlisberger a huge apology.

Harrison walks by Rodgers - 15 yards, breathing on the QB while Ben gets clobbered without notice all game?

Crash
01-31-2011, 10:41 PM
I don't want his apology. We now know where he stands, as I and others have speculated.

Just have to change our own thinking. When we win games? Keep pouring it on teams, don't allow the officials the chance to screw us.

Embrace the heel role. Use it to our advantage.

Crash
01-31-2011, 10:57 PM
Ed: Goodell Quote Has 'Clarification'
Monday, 31 January 2011 21:12
Written by Ed Bouchette

There has been an adjustment on the Ben Roethlisberger-Roger Goodell story. SI’s Peter King, who quoted Goodell in his column Monday, heard from the commissioner after the quote was widely circulated and it became the story of the day here after the Steelers arrived.

King called me because he knew we were working on it, after I had talked to him earlier in the day. Goodell told King that when he mentioned “two dozen players” he did not mean two dozen Steelers players. They were talking about Roethlisberger at the time and King assumed Goodell was talking about Steelers players.

As I blogged earlier, there is no way Goodell talked to 24 Steelers players.

Nevertheless, the comments by Goodell still seem strange in light of what he asked Roethlisberger to do and what the quarterback has done to change his approach to life and how he treats people since that day in March in Georgia. It’s as if the commissioner is trying to justify his four-game suspension of Roethlisberger, who was never charged with a crime.

NJ-STEELER
01-31-2011, 10:58 PM
Bouchette weighs in

I spoke with King a little bit ago here and he told me the interview with Goodell that produced that column came on Jan. 7. He was working on a story for the magazine and talked to the commissioner about Tank Johnson, Michael Vick and Roethlisberger. The quote did not make the magazine story so Peter used it in his MMQ. So while Goodell did not wait unti the eve of the Super Bowl to dredge up more stuff on the Steelers quarterback, why did he do it at all? What purpose did that serve, to say that none of BR’s teammates came to his defense.

First off, I can guarantee you that Goodell did not interview 24 Steelers players. He did not come to Pittsburgh and they did not go to New York. He had investigators do it. And several Steelers were aghast today at what the commissioner said because they said they did defend their quarterback.

And to add the picky stuff about “He won’t sign my jersey.’’ What the blue blazes does that have to do with anything?

It was a very low blow by Goodell and he should apologize to both the Steelers and Roethlisberger for delivering it.....

MeetJoeGreene
01-31-2011, 11:36 PM
.. I think it backfires on him... if he did exaggerate it will have the opposite effect. It will draw them closer and galvanize them.

I think that after Goodell hands the trophy and MVP to Ben, every Steeler fan in attendance should start Chanting FIRE GOODELL.. or something that starts with an F....

Someone should make a big, high quality sign (handheld) with something that could get on TV (like Stairway to 7 or something.).. and on the other side, something saying FIRE GOODELL!!. If a cameraman comes to film it.. hold up the good side.. then flip.

DukieBoy
02-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Bouchette weighs in

It was a very low blow by Goodell and he should apologize to both the Steelers and Roethlisberger for delivering it.....
Good work Ed.

Jooser
02-01-2011, 12:10 AM
God-ell can kiss my ever-lovin' arse! This dude's a menace to the game itself. It's no secret that he and the Rooney's are at odds over the CBA dispute and his personal agenda to go to 18 games. He's gonna take his shots at the Steelers whenever he can, still the timing of this article really chaps my arse. It's going to backfire and we'll win going away, take it to the bank.

Crash
02-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Clarification: Goodell on Roethlisberger sanction
PRINT EMAIL FACEBOOK DIGG TWITTER RSS SHARE
By Peter King, SI.com

DALLAS -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell talked to an estimated two dozen NFL players, and not two dozen Steelers players, before reaching his disciplinary conclusion on Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in 2010.

This is an important clarification of something I wrote in my
"Monday Morning Quarterback'' column. I erred in inserting the parenthetical "Steelers'' in a quote by Goodell, which was an incorrect assumption on my part.

In a Jan. 7 interview for a larger profile on Goodell for this week's issue of Sports Illustrated, Goodell was talking about his deliberations for the Roethlisberger sanctions last year, when the Pittsburgh quarterback was accused of sexual misconduct in connection with an incident at a Georgia bar. Goodell said when he was investigating what to do with Roethlisberger, he talked to

"I bet two dozen players ... Not one, not a single player, went to his defense. It wasn't personal in a sense, but all kinds of stories like, 'He won't sign my jersey.' ''

I inserted the word "Steelers'' in parentheses, though Goodell had not told me specifically he meant to refer to two dozen Steelers players.

My question prior to his answer referred to the "many people I know in Pittsburgh'' who "want him on the Steelers.'' I thought Goodell was referring to speaking with two dozen Steelers. He clarified late Monday that he that he was not referring to the Steelers specifically.

I regret the error.

Crash
02-01-2011, 12:18 AM
This is even worse. Why is Goodell seeking input from players on teams that would benefit from Ben being suspended?

grotonsteel
02-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Well atleast one player stood for Ben

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ported-me/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/31/ben-roethlisberger-i-know-my-teammates-supported-me/)

Steelers linebacker James Farrior, however, said it’s simply not true for Goodell to claim that no one on the Steelers went to bat for Roethlisberger.

“I was highly upset about the whole situation,” Farrior said. “When Roger Goodell came to us in the preseason, I think I was the guy that asked him a lot of the questions about Ben. I was pretty upset about it. I really didn’t get any answers from him that I was looking for, but I was definitely disappointed in what the verdict was and how they proceeded. I definitely didn’t think he should be suspended four games.”

grotonsteel
02-01-2011, 12:22 AM
This is even worse. Why is Goodell seeking input from players on teams that would benefit from Ben being suspended?

Exactly...

BADaell must be talking Chad Ochocinco and Terell Owens of the league or entire Ratbirds team...What crap is this

BADall needs to be fired.

aggiebones
02-01-2011, 12:37 AM
Things weird to me on this.

King picked the Steelers to win and was about the only 'newsman' to do so. He'll be able to bask in the glory if he ends up correct, so is he just trying to stoke the flames to help his cause?

The end of year glory of the NFL is upon us. Why would Goodell damage the big game with this ridiculously petty gibberish. Very weird.

DukieBoy
02-01-2011, 12:42 AM
So, Mr Goodell, what exactly do these opinions from other players around the league have to do with your investigation about Georgia? Sounds like you went on a fishing trip to see what you could catch and use against Ben, even though it would have nothing to do with Georgia.

Crash
02-01-2011, 12:47 AM
King isn't correct. He changed his pick to his butt buddy Brady when they playoffs started.

papillon
02-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Regardless, of whether he asked 24 NFL players or 24 Steeler players this article and its subsequent publication are irresponsible journalism and unacceptable behavior by the person leading a billion dollar industry. If someone tells you that 24 players on one team wouldn't come to another player's defense wouldn't that pique your interest to find out more? why? who? what happened to cause the rift? So, King, in his infinite wisdom parenthetically inserts the word "Steelers" after the word "players" on his own without checking, verifying or determining the truth about the situation. He should be fired, regardless of his credentials and tenure.

Dan Rooney should hold a press conference and excoriate Goodell for absolutely embarrassing the Steelers and the NFL by even discussing what should be a private matter between Goodell, the Steelers front office and Ben in public. He should be fired immediately for tarnishing the shield that he was hired to protect.

This has to be one of the most back-handed capricious attacks on one person for no reason by someone that is supposed to be impartial in history. This is absolutely mind boggling.

Pappy

Djfan
02-01-2011, 12:49 AM
So, Mr Goodell, what exactly do these opinions from other players around the league have to do with your investigation about Georgia? Sounds like you went on a fishing trip to see what you could catch and use against Ben, even thought it would have nothing to do with Georgia.

AND,

Is this the standard you used for the Cheatriots when they were caught red-handed?

You're horrible for this game Rogie. Get lost.

DukieBoy
02-01-2011, 12:51 AM
So, Mr Goodell, what exactly do these opinions from other players around the league have to do with your investigation about Georgia? Sounds like you went on a fishing trip to see what you could catch and use against Ben, even thought it would have nothing to do with Georgia.

AND,

Is this the standard you used for the Cheatriots when they were caught red-handed?

You're horrible for this game Rogie. Get lost.
Right on, DJ.

hawaiiansteel
02-01-2011, 03:10 AM
Goodell unfairly rats out Steelers over Big Ben

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports

DALLAS – For months now Ben Roethlisberger(notes) and the Pittsburgh Steelers have been working to put the past in the past. They’ve attempted to flip the script on that drunken night in Milledgeville, Ga. and make something good come out of what, at the very best, was a series of poor and classless decisions by their star quarterback.

Roethlisberger has been more open with fans. He’s been more polite with the media. He’s gotten engaged to be married and, it’s been said, has become more of a homebody. His teammates, coaches and the organization as a whole have welcomed him back into the fold. It’s one reason the Steelers are playing Green Bay in Sunday’s Super Bowl.

“He came back, he’s a changed man and he’s playing good football,” receiver Hines Ward(notes) said, summing it up after the AFC championship game.

Super Bowl media day is Tuesday and amid that feeding frenzy Roethlisberger was sure to face some pressure about the mistakes of last summer and beyond.

And that was before Roger Goodell foolishly went and breathed new life into the old story.

For reasons Goodell needs to explain, the NFL commissioner commented to Sports Illustrated’s Peter King about investigating Roethlisberger last offseason, a process that resulted in a six-game suspension (reduced to four).

King released an excerpt of Goodell’s comments (more to appear in this week’s magazine) that painted Roethlisberger as an ostracized member of the Steelers and, more importantly, threw nearly two dozen of his teammates under the bus.

“I bet two dozen [Steeler] players … Not one, not a single player, went to his defense. It wasn’t personal in a sense, but all kinds of stories like, ‘He won’t sign my jersey.’ ”

This isn’t a defense (or a condemnation) of Roethlisberger’s actions. The comment isn’t, in and of itself, a bombshell. It was completely unnecessary though, especially coming from the commissioner. And it was patently unfair for the other Steeler players who cooperated in the investigation into their quarterback.

At Monday’s media session, there was confusion and rebuttals to Goodell’s comments, with Roethlisberger saying he knows – “for a fact” – some teammates did support him. Some of the Steelers agreed. Of course, at this point, what else could they say?

“I’ve always had Ben’s back,” defensive end Brett Keisel(notes) said. “Ben and I have a very good relationship. I think everyone was behind Ben all along.”

So now someone isn’t telling the truth.

This is why the subject never should’ve been broached. Nothing good could come of it. Simply put, why would the commissioner of the NFL reveal any inside details of what was supposed to be a closed-door investigation?

Why have Roethlisberger now understand that a bunch of his teammates – and he can assuredly figure out who did and didn’t speak to Goodell – were crushing him, potentially behind his back? And why betray those guys, who certainly didn’t think their honest cooperation would one day become a Super Bowl week mini-controversy?

Most of all, why bring up something that’s negative for the Steelers, Roethlisberger or the NFL?

Goodell’s comments carry no positive information or spin. They do nothing for anyone. At best, it’s an annoying line of questioning that the Steelers are capable of compartmentalizing and ignoring. At worst, it’s an unneeded distraction that only regains steam when the rest of the story is printed in SI later in the week.

The NFL symbol is a shield and the commissioner is the person who’s supposed to carry it.

It’s the basis, Goodell says, for the suspensions he’s handed out to Roethlisberger and others. The quarterback was never charged with a crime in Georgia. The police’s detailed report of his boorish behavior was enough to cost him a month of the season anyway, a pretty severe penalty.

Goodell appears to thrive in the role of judge, jury and executioner. He comes across as very comfortable as the purveyor of justice. His predecessors in the commissioner’s office were never so iron-fisted when it came to player conduct. The public has backed his authority, in part because it has little sympathy for things like millionaire quarterbacks and drunken 20-year-old coeds in bodyguard-protected bathrooms of dive bars.

But with the authority that Goodell has seized comes a responsibility to put his employees in the most positive light possible. Everyone else can debate the merits of Ben Roethlisberger this week. Goodell should be pushing the spotlight onto something else. He can’t be preening around and talking it over with reporters.

That’s not how the disciplinary system has been sold to the players.

If he’s going to ask for teammates to participate in investigations, he can’t go defying that trust by passing along what they said. Things are either anonymous or not, you can’t be a little bit pregnant on that.

No, Goodell didn’t name names. He didn’t need to. By saying everyone he spoke with killed Roethlisberger behind his back then every Steeler that Goodell spoke with is implicated. Goodell ratted them all out.

That isn’t fair to them.

Maybe Roethlisberger cares. Maybe he doesn’t. Maybe the Steelers care. Maybe they don’t. Maybe there are hurt feelings and suspicious glances. Maybe not.

We’re unlikely to know for sure because the Steelers are sure to get together in advance of media day and agree to do the one thing Roger Goodell should have been smart enough to do himself.

Not say a meaningful word about it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=d ... rger013111 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=dw-goodellroethlisberger013111)

spyboots
02-01-2011, 03:20 AM
Peter King has added a correction, says he assumed God-dell meant Steelers players but supposedly meant NFL players (non-Steelers). No matter; it's something that should not have been said at all.

Crash
02-01-2011, 03:31 AM
Again, why is Goodell asking for input from players who aren't Steelers?

He should be investigated and then fired.

phillyesq
02-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Regardless, of whether he asked 24 NFL players or 24 Steeler players this article and its subsequent publication are irresponsible journalism and unacceptable behavior by the person leading a billion dollar industry. If someone tells you that 24 players on one team wouldn't come to another player's defense wouldn't that pique your interest to find out more? why? who? what happened to cause the rift? So, King, in his infinite wisdom parenthetically inserts the word "Steelers" after the word "players" on his own without checking, verifying or determining the truth about the situation. He should be fired, regardless of his credentials and tenure.

Dan Rooney should hold a press conference and excoriate Goodell for absolutely embarrassing the Steelers and the NFL by even discussing what should be a private matter between Goodell, the Steelers front office and Ben in public. He should be fired immediately for tarnishing the shield that he was hired to protect.

This has to be one of the most back-handed capricious attacks on one person for no reason by someone that is supposed to be impartial in history. This is absolutely mind boggling.

Pappy

Extremely well said.

phillyesq
02-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Again, why is Goodell asking for input from players who aren't Steelers?

He should be investigated and then fired.

I can see this conversation now:

Q: So, Ray, killed anybody lately, er, I mean, obstructed justice? Ok, now that we have that out of the way, what do you think about Big Ben. Keep in mind, you play the Steelers in week 4.

A: Ben kills us, but of course, not like I'd kill them (chuckle)... he, um, didn't sign a jersey -- suspend away! He Rog old buddy, can you do anything about week 4???

Flasteel
02-01-2011, 08:06 AM
The crying, whining, and continued conspiracy babble coming from this board is pathetic.

Sack up people.

Oviedo
02-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Usually where there is smoke, there is fire.

Eich
02-01-2011, 08:34 AM
It's all going to continue to backfire on Roger. Now he's going to piss off Ben AND the entire team. I don't think Roger is going to be happy with the outcome of a pissed off Steelers team in this Super Bowl.

JAR
02-01-2011, 09:52 AM
If GA is still a story at this time, then come on media, let's be fair and rehash the story below? How about it? I mean, really, there was just as much evidence in these accusations as there were from a bunch of drunken sorority sisters walking around with DTF stickers on, right?

Packers Involved In Sexual Assault Flap

several members of the Green Bay Packers were interviewed as part of the investigation of two alleged sexual assaults at a Lake Delton condo.

The incident apparently took place early Saturday morning, after The McGovern Charity Golf Tournament held in nearby Wisconsin Dells and hosted by Packers’ linebacker Clay Matthews.

Seven Packers were interviewed by police. Six are not considered suspects. Matt Flynn, Josh Sitton, Korey Hall, Brad Jones, Clay Matthews and Khalil Jones were interviewed and released.

JAR
02-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Teammates rebuff Goodell's claims no one defended Ben
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Last updated: 6:18 am

Read more: Teammates rebuff Goodell's claims no one defended Ben - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1CiTZcfVT (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_720750.html#ixzz1CiTZcfVT)

FORT WORTH, Texas — NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's claim that Ben Roethlisberger's teammates didn't support him following a tumultuous offseason is news to them.

"That's baloney," inside linebacker James Farrior said yesterday after the Steelers arrived in North Texas for Super Bowl XLV. "All of the guys in the locker room love Ben. No matter what people say, how people think we feel about Ben, we love the guy."

The Steelers' franchise quarterback may be a lightning rod for the media this week, but Goodell sparked the first real controversy of Super Bowl XLV.

Goodell, who visited Steelers training camp Aug. 5, told Sports Illustrated's Peter King that he talked to more than 20 of Roethlisberger's teammates during the offseason.

"Not one, not a single player, went to his defense," Goodell said in a story on SI's website yesterday. "It wasn't personal in a sense, but all kinds of stories like, 'He won't sign my jersey.' "

Sports Illustrated issued a clarification late Monday night and said Goodell was referring to NFL players — and not Roethlisberger's Steelers teammates specifically — when the commissioner said nobody came to Roethlisberger's defense.

Goodell suspended Roethlisberger for six games in April after the quarterback was accused of sexual assault. Goodell reduced the suspension to four games while lauding the changes Roethlisberger had made off the field.

Goodell's remarks caught the Steelers by surprise.

"I'm just thankful that my teammates are who they are, and I'm really appreciative of it," Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger's teammates rushed to his defense during the first media availability here.

Wide receiver Hines Ward said he didn't recall talking to Goodell about Roethlisberger.

Farrior said when Goodell met with the Steelers during training camp, he pressed the commissioner about Roethlisberger's suspension.

"I really didn't want to talk about anything else but the suspension," said Farrior, whom coach Mike Tomlin recently called the unquestioned leader of the Steelers. "He tried to get off the subject and really didn't give us any answers that we were looking for."

The Steelers have been supportive of Roethlisberger's efforts to right the wrongs that could have brought down his career in Pittsburgh.

In April, director of football operations Kevin Colbert said that the team didn't condone Roethlisberger's behavior but believed he deserved the chance to redeem himself.

"I'm not surprised by his success on the field nor his behavior off the field since that time," Colbert said yesterday.

Colbert said that the Steelers never tried to trade Roethlisberger after he was accused of sexual assault twice in a nine-month span.

Colbert said trade talk leading up to the NFL draft is standard operating procedure as the Steelers gauge interest other teams have of moving up or down in the first round.

"We never shopped anybody during that period," Colbert said, disputing reports that had indicated otherwise.

Goodell's comments to SI put him at odds with the Steelers for the second time this season.

His crackdown on dangerous hits led to outside linebacker James Harrison getting fined four times in 2010. And Steelers players questioned whether the league was targeting them and the team's style of play while making player safety a priority.

They seemed just as miffed about why Goodell appeared to be targeting Roethlisberger at the start of a weeklong NFL celebration.

In addition to saying the Steelers players had not come to Roethlisberger's defense, Goodell said he had no personal connection to the two-time Super Bowl winner.

"I don't know what he means by 'come to his defense,' " Tomlin said. "Ben is a highly respected member of our football team not only because of what he's done this year but just his body of work and the person that he is.

"We all fall short of perfection, we all make mistakes. He's doing the best that he can in terms of moving forward with it, as are his teammates."

Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel, perhaps Roethlisberger's closest friend on the team, said, "I've always had Ben's back. I think everyone was behind him. Everyone just didn't really know how to respond to all the questions and all the scrutiny."

Read more: Teammates rebuff Goodell's claims no one defended Ben - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1CiTN6ofM (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_720750.html#ixzz1CiTN6ofM)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-01-2011, 10:44 AM

Pappy

I don't buy it Pappy. Rog told the lie and then called King and told him to cover his a$$ IMO. Mr. Knee Jerk Commish was too stupid to realize that his lie would be exposed and started his usual backtracking act.

feltdizz
02-01-2011, 10:47 AM
The crying, whining, and continued conspiracy babble coming from this board is pathetic.

Sack up people.

:Agree and I had a feeling there would be a clarification... this is SB week and King needs hits, clicks and controversy does it.

feltdizz
02-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I have no idea if Goodell used those exact words and honestly, it doesn't sound like anyhing a grown man would say.

You can admit that I was right.. it's OK.

King is just as guilty as Goodell if not more.... to hold onto this for 30 days and misquote it shows how desperate he is for clicks.

grotonsteel
02-01-2011, 11:12 AM
King is just as guilty as Goodell if not more.... to hold onto this for 30 days and misquote it shows how desperate he is for clicks.

I don't blame King...he is a reporter...he is gonna right stuff with a twist. Blame lays squarely on BADall. Whether they were Steelers players or non-Steelers players you don't rat them out in the first place. Its a closed door investigation why open it to media in the first place. It does not matter when he said it you simply don't open your mouth regarding NFL investigation

Did he say anything about spy-gate or sexual assault regarding 8 Packers players or anyone else in NFL? Also WTF was he doing talking to other NFL players regarding Ben about Georgia incident. The investigation itself is messed up in the first place.

BADall ar$e needs to be canned.

Jooser
02-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Watching NFL Network this morning. Deion is giving Faulk and Eisen a what-for over the timing and release of this story. Rich said the interview was only on January 7th. Deion looked at him incredulously and said "that's right, and we are now in what? February?...and the Super Bowl." He also stated that those comments should not have been made by a Commish of the NFL. Of course, Marshall and Rich disagreed. Thanks Deion.

ikestops85
02-01-2011, 11:26 AM

I'm with you on King waiting until now to release it but no way in hell was Goodell misquoted. Who would care if he talked to players from other teams? This is Goodell being caught in a lie ... plain and simple.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-01-2011, 11:26 AM

I disagree felt.

First off I refuse to believe that King misquoted him. Only if I see him fired or suspended for this will I believe that it is possible. I'm not a big fan of King but don't dislike him, but he is a professional and I can't see him making a mistake like that. Funny that the commish can had out heavy fines in an autocratic style without talking to either the player who was hit or the player who is being investigated, but he must consult with 2 dozen players around the league when determining a punishment for Ben.

I would like a reporter to ask Rog the following questions:

How many opposing players did you consult in deciding not to suspend Shaun Rogers?
How many opposing players did you consult in deciding not to suspend Mike Vick?
You have not made a move on the Packers sexual assault situation, is that because you are waiting for more opinions from around the league?
How many jerseys did Perrish Cox sign for players around the league to get off scott free on his sexual assault CHARGE.
Will Lawrence Maroney have to sign new jerseys, or can he just sign the same ones as Cox?
How many jerseys would Ben have had to sign to reduce his suspension to two games?

Second, this is not something that should have ever been said to a reporter regardless. This is unacceptable leadership. I would assume that if these discussions were ever actually held that the players involved were assured the utmost in discretion. Rog blabbing that he spoke to players and nobody stood up for Ben violates that discretion. Maybe it is acceptable to him that he can use some loophole by saying that "at least I did not divulge names", but a true leader does not look for loopholes in matters of trust.

Djfan
02-01-2011, 11:32 AM

Sack up people.

:Agree and I had a feeling there would be a clarification... this is SB week and King needs hits, clicks and controversy does it.

Crying and whining? Goodell rehashed this stuff, not us. What a pompus thing to say Fla. It's news because the BIGGEST NAME IN THE NFL said very stupid things. No fans did at all.

The only mention of anything about fines to players was in an article, not by fans.

Go back to your "I'm better than you because I don't say anything" world.

papillon
02-01-2011, 11:46 AM

Pappy

I don't buy it Pappy. Rog told the lie and then called King and told him to cover his a$$ IMO. Mr. Knee Jerk Commish was too stupid to realize that his lie would be exposed and started his usual backtracking act.

What aren't you buying? I believe that Goodell and King are both equally at fault for this type reporting; Goodell for even talking abut it and King for publishing it. It's all wrong in my opinion and Dan Rooney carries more clout around the league than Goodell.

I wish he would say something publicly, but I'm certain, as in the past, he's addressed it privately.

Pappy

costanza2k1
02-01-2011, 11:58 AM
We can talk about this forever, this morning I was wondering why he never made dorky comments after the fact about the Cheatriots? WTF?!?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-01-2011, 11:59 AM

Pappy

What aren't you buying? I believe that Goodell and King are both equally at fault for this type reporting; Goodell for even talking abut it and King for publishing it. It's all wrong in my opinion and Dan Rooney carries more clout around the league than Goodell.

I wish he would say something publicly, but I'm certain, as in the past, he's addressed it privately.

Pappy

I don't buy that he was misquoted. IMO he told a lie - plain and simple. For some reason he believed that his small lie would be buried deep enough within a column about something else and would not come back to bite him in the butt during SB week.

If he was misquoted then he would speak up himself and denounce King. there would be such a stink that SI would come out and announce disciplinary actions against King - this was their first headline scoop on SB week - their big breaking news, and it turns out that their ace reporter either was negligent or outright lying??? No discipline to follow? Thats what I don't buy.

papillon
02-01-2011, 12:02 PM
[quote=papillon]Regardless, of whether he asked 24 NFL players or 24 Steeler players this article and its subsequent publication are irresponsible journalism and unacceptable behavior by the person leading a billion dollar industry. If someone tells you that 24 players on one team wouldn't come to another player's defense wouldn't that pique your interest to find out more? why? who? what happened to cause the rift? So, King, in his infinite wisdom parenthetically inserts the word "Steelers" after the word "players" on his own without checking, verifying or determining the truth about the situation. He should be fired, regardless of his credentials and tenure.

Pappy

Pappy

I don't buy that he was misquoted. IMO he told a lie - plain and simple. For some reason he believed that his small lie would be buried deep enough within a column about something else and would not come back to bite him in the butt during SB week.

If he was misquoted then he would speak up himself and denounce King. there would be such a stink that SI would come out and announce disciplinary actions against King - this was their first headline scoop on SB week - their big breaking news, and it turns out that their ace reporter either was negligent or outright lying??? No discipline to follow? Thats what I don't buy.[/quote:2q6cl46a]

I agree 100% that he wasn't misquoted; Goodell is performing cover your @ss public relations, it won't work, SteelerNation is wise to him. He's an @ssclown in the first degree.

Pappy

Crash
02-01-2011, 01:00 PM
I don't think King lied.

I think Goodell lied to King. And when King decided to run the quote a month later ol' Rog crapped his diaper.

Iron Shiek
02-01-2011, 01:17 PM

I disagree felt.

First off I refuse to believe that King misquoted him. Only if I see him fired or suspended for this will I believe that it is possible. I'm not a big fan of King but don't dislike him, but he is a professional and I can't see him making a mistake like that. Funny that the commish can had out heavy fines in an autocratic style without talking to either the player who was hit or the player who is being investigated, but he must consult with 2 dozen players around the league when determining a punishment for Ben.

I would like a reporter to ask Rog the following questions:

How many opposing players did you consult in deciding not to suspend Shaun Rogers?
How many opposing players did you consult in deciding not to suspend Mike Vick?
You have not made a move on the Packers sexual assault situation, is that because you are waiting for more opinions from around the league?
How many jerseys did Perrish Cox sign for players around the league to get off scott free on his sexual assault CHARGE.
Will Lawrence Maroney have to sign new jerseys, or can he just sign the same ones as Cox?
How many jerseys would Ben have had to sign to reduce his suspension to two games?

Second, this is not something that should have ever been said to a reporter regardless. This is unacceptable leadership. I would assume that if these discussions were ever actually held that the players involved were assured the utmost in discretion. Rog blabbing that he spoke to players and nobody stood up for Ben violates that discretion. Maybe it is acceptable to him that he can use some loophole by saying that "at least I did not divulge names", but a true leader does not look for loopholes in matters of trust.

I tweeted all those question to Peter King with the following hashtag:

#QUESTIONSFOR"BAD"-DELL

And I agree with the couple of people now that have mentioned the Cheaters. Ask Bad-dell a question about that, I guarantee he doesn't have diarrhea of the mouth and start blurting out things like "Well everyone at the time thought Belicheat was an a$$hole anyway, so that's why I fined him"

This is a terrible and unfortunate turn of events for him. He should not be in the position he is in, not even remotely qualified for it, let alone no balance of power or checks and balances in place. Punishments and officiating are so inconsistent in this league, how someone can run a business in this fashion is beyond me.

grotonsteel
02-01-2011, 03:49 PM
When Ben was walking for Team Photo...Peter King came for a chat with Ben. PK looked like a dog with a tail between his legs.

Ben took a high road i guess..Way to go Ben...

feltdizz
02-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Why the hell would a Steeler say "He wouldn't sign my jersey?"

That is something a punk azz player from another team would say.

I'm positive King assumed 24 Steeler players. It's a very good attempt by King to get a ton of publicity. The story is lame though... very lame.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-01-2011, 04:58 PM

I'm positive King assumed 24 Steeler players. It's a very good attempt by King to get a ton of publicity. The story is lame though... very lame.

If I am to believe that Goodell lied...which I do, then I don't care about what he uses as his excuse....such as not signing jerseys.

feltdizz
02-01-2011, 05:04 PM

If I am to believe that Goodell lied...which I do, then I don't care about what he uses as his excuse....such as not signing jerseys.

Why would Goodell make up a lie that can easily be refuted? I know people hate the guy but c'mon... use a little bit of common sense.

I'm sure Goodell said 24 players and King assumed he meant Steelers.

Seriously... you really think Goodell said 24 Steeler players? That is so easy to fact check it's laughable. Much harder to figure out who the 24 players in the league are.

Goodell asking 24 players and telling King about it is bad enough...

assuming he lied and really said it was 24 Steelers just shows how stupid fans are. It's already a bad story.... no need to take it all the way to the edge with some stupid theory that Goodell really said 24 Steelers and lied about the whole thing to give King a great story.

King could have easily fact checked the 24 players.

ScoreKeeper
02-01-2011, 05:42 PM

Why would Goodell make up a lie that can easily be refuted? I know people hate the guy but c'mon... use a little bit of common sense.

Seriously... you really think Goodell said 24 Steeler players? That is so easy to fact check it's laughable. Much harder to figure out who the 24 players in the league are.

assuming he lied and really said it was 24 Steelers just shows how stupid fans are. It's already a bad story.... no need to take it all the way to the edge with some stupid theory that Goodell really said 24 Steelers and lied about the whole thing to give King a great story.

But it's even worse if he was asking players outside the Steelers how they felt. What, did he go to to TO and CJ....maybe the stains or the rats...JHC, this is supposed to be a commish conducting business....not some f u ckwad working for TMZ.

He needs to to be fired for gross incompetence.

hawaiiansteel
02-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Teammates rebuff Goodell's claims no one defended Ben

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, February 1, 2011

FORT WORTH, Texas — NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's claim that Ben Roethlisberger's teammates didn't support him following a tumultuous offseason is news to them.

"That's baloney," inside linebacker James Farrior said yesterday after the Steelers arrived in North Texas for Super Bowl XLV. "All of the guys in the locker room love Ben. No matter what people say, how people think we feel about Ben, we love the guy."

The Steelers' franchise quarterback may be a lightning rod for the media this week, but Goodell sparked the first real controversy of Super Bowl XLV.

Goodell, who visited Steelers training camp Aug. 5, told Sports Illustrated's Peter King that he talked to more than 20 of Roethlisberger's teammates during the offseason.

"Not one, not a single player, went to his defense," Goodell said in a story on SI's website yesterday. "It wasn't personal in a sense, but all kinds of stories like, 'He won't sign my jersey.' "

Sports Illustrated issued a clarification late Monday night and said Goodell was referring to NFL players — and not Roethlisberger's Steelers teammates specifically — when the commissioner said nobody came to Roethlisberger's defense.

Goodell suspended Roethlisberger for six games in April after the quarterback was accused of sexual assault. Goodell reduced the suspension to four games while lauding the changes Roethlisberger had made off the field.

Goodell's remarks caught the Steelers by surprise.

"I'm just thankful that my teammates are who they are, and I'm really appreciative of it," Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger's teammates rushed to his defense during the first media availability here.

Wide receiver Hines Ward said he didn't recall talking to Goodell about Roethlisberger.

Farrior said when Goodell met with the Steelers during training camp, he pressed the commissioner about Roethlisberger's suspension.

"I really didn't want to talk about anything else but the suspension," said Farrior, whom coach Mike Tomlin recently called the unquestioned leader of the Steelers. "He tried to get off the subject and really didn't give us any answers that we were looking for."

The Steelers have been supportive of Roethlisberger's efforts to right the wrongs that could have brought down his career in Pittsburgh.

In April, director of football operations Kevin Colbert said that the team didn't condone Roethlisberger's behavior but believed he deserved the chance to redeem himself.

"I'm not surprised by his success on the field nor his behavior off the field since that time," Colbert said yesterday.

Colbert said that the Steelers never tried to trade Roethlisberger after he was accused of sexual assault twice in a nine-month span.

Colbert said trade talk leading up to the NFL draft is standard operating procedure as the Steelers gauge interest other teams have of moving up or down in the first round.

"We never shopped anybody during that period," Colbert said, disputing reports that had indicated otherwise.

Goodell's comments to SI put him at odds with the Steelers for the second time this season.

His crackdown on dangerous hits led to outside linebacker James Harrison getting fined four times in 2010. And Steelers players questioned whether the league was targeting them and the team's style of play while making player safety a priority.

They seemed just as miffed about why Goodell appeared to be targeting Roethlisberger at the start of a weeklong NFL celebration.

In addition to saying the Steelers players had not come to Roethlisberger's defense, Goodell said he had no personal connection to the two-time Super Bowl winner.

"I don't know what he means by 'come to his defense,' " Tomlin said. "Ben is a highly respected member of our football team not only because of what he's done this year but just his body of work and the person that he is.

"We all fall short of perfection, we all make mistakes. He's doing the best that he can in terms of moving forward with it, as are his teammates."

Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel, perhaps Roethlisberger's closest friend on the team, said, "I've always had Ben's back. I think everyone was behind him. Everyone just didn't really know how to respond to all the questions and all the scrutiny."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1CkGtIxsm

grotonsteel
02-01-2011, 06:40 PM

But it's even worse if he was asking players outside the Steelers how they felt. What, did he go to to TO and CJ....maybe the stains or the rats...JHC, this is supposed to be a commish conducting business....not some f u ckwad working for TMZ.

well said.... :Clap

Crash
02-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Can you believe this guy?

In what may be the most unreal consequence of the players’ health insurance running out in the event of a lockout, there are pregnant players’ wives asking Fujita if they should induce labor before the lockout. When Goodell was given these concerns months ago by the players, his response was, “Well, you’ll want to get something done (in the CBA) then, won’t you?”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl-306224 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdow....urn=nfl-306224)

Flasteel
02-01-2011, 07:48 PM

Sack up people.

Crying and whining? Goodell rehashed this stuff, not us. What a pompus thing to say Fla. It's news because the BIGGEST NAME IN THE NFL said very stupid things. No fans did at all.

The only mention of anything about fines to players was in an article, not by fans.

Go back to your "I'm better than you because I don't say anything" world.

You're going to be like THAT DJ? I gotta say that I'm more than a little shocked you'd try to throw down on me like that, but it's cool. If you think that my comments are born from some sense of arrogance or holier-than-thou attitude, you're simply off base...really off base.

My comments are born of the disdain I have for all of the crying and whining that goes on here, over any perceived slight to our team. Not only is it lame, it feeds the kooks who swear that the refs and Goodell are out to get us at all costs.

I agree that Goodell is doing a horrible job as commissioner of the NFL. He’s sucked at pretty much everything he’s tried to do and he completely mishandled Ben’s situation as well as the controversies surrounding the defensive fines and penalties this year. But for the love of God, quit being little bitches about all of this. The commish never should have opened his mouth about this to a reporter. Said reporter should be called out for unleashing this stuff during Super Bowl week, even though his job pretty much calls for it. Yeah, yeah yeah…we get it.

I’m not admonishing any discussion of the subject, I’m just sick and tired of all you guys who go around claiming outlandish crap and use anything you can get your hands on to use as “proof” that you’ve been right all along. Shut it already.

...and man-up while you're at it. :tt2

Djfan
02-01-2011, 07:50 PM
You have been a great poster and very respected by me for a long time. In reality that hasn't changed for me. The post was condescending IMO.

Not one of us started this. It's goodell and SI. We responded to a legit situation.

hawaiiansteel
02-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Steelers' Rooney defends Goodell on Roethlisberger quote

Tuesday, February 01, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Steelers president Art Rooney said he talked with Roger Goodell this morning and does not blame the NFL commissioner for any wrongdoing for his infamous quote about Ben Roethlisberger that was published this week.

"From what I understand, he was misquoted,'' Rooney said. "I certainly don't think he was intending on it for something to be published this week."

Goodell toward Peter King of Sports Illustrated that during his investigation into the charges of sexual assault made against Roethlisberger in March that, "I bet two dozen [Steeler] players ... Not one, not a single player, went to his defense. It wasn't personal in a sense, but all kinds of stories like, 'He won't sign my jersey.' ''

King later reported that he had assumed Goodell meant Steelers players and inserted the brackets. Goodell told King on Monday that he did not. The interview took place Jan. 7 but was published Monday.

"I talked to the commissioner this morning and that's what he said, that it wasn't something he expected to be said this week,'' Rooney said. "And he was asked about all the things he did and was trying to get some background on how he approaches his decisions.

"It wasn't like he was trying to take a shot at Ben or anything like that. He was talking about sort of what his thought process went on nine months ago."

Rooney did not think it would have an effect on the Steelers players this week.

"You know what, I think for Ben and our players, that's all kind of ancient history at this point. I think they'll all have to answer questions today but I don't think it will be a distraction. They're expecting to get a couple of questions, there's no surprise to it."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11032/11 ... z1CkaZr4Sw (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11032/1122178-66.stm#ixzz1CkaZr4Sw)

Crash
02-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Atta boy Art, keep bending over for Goodell.

Flasteel
02-01-2011, 08:34 PM
^^ Exhibit A ^^ :D

Djfan
02-01-2011, 08:37 PM
^^Exhibit A^^

I understand that. But, the actions of one or two posters doesn't justify throwing everyone under the bus.

Sorry if I pissed you off. I was annoyed. I'm also not him, or the other twin.

Still, there is a small grain of truth in what he just said. Mostly the spin to cover Goodell's worthless butt. Not the first time Rooney has done that.

Crash
02-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Hopefully Dan Rooney will return to an increased role with the Steelers once his term as Ambassador ends.

Dan wouldn't let Goodell crap all over his team like Art II does.

Flasteel
02-01-2011, 08:52 PM
You have been a great poster and very respected by me for a long time. In reality that hasn't changed for me. The post was condescending IMO.

Not one of us started this. It's goodell and SI. We responded to a legit situation.

It's a shared sentiment DJ, and that's why I'm a little shocked, but like I stated...it's cool. I have zero idea how you could think the post was condescending. There's too much whining and bitching going on over Goodell, the refs, and the evil people who are out to destroy us. This entire thread is an example of it. The board erupts into a frenzy over something they believe is evidence that Goodell is out to get Ben. Turns out, everyone was wrong and it's nothing more than 2 individuals operating far below the expected competency levels for their positions...especially King.

Some of you may have simply questioned the appropriateness or accuracy of Goodell's statements. Some of you may have just been ragging on King or (wrongfully) the Commissioner for the timing of the article. What I read was far too many people thinking this was a personal attack on our team or against Ben...further propogation of the conspiracy theories.

I wanted to say something about it and I did. I will do it again if necessary. :D

Djfan
02-01-2011, 08:56 PM

It's a shared sentiment DJ, and that's why I'm a little shocked, but like I stated...it's cool. I have zero idea how you could think the post was condescending. There's too much whining and bitching going on over Goodell, the refs, and the evil people who are out to destroy us. This entire thread is an example of it. The board erupts into a frenzy over something they believe is evidence that Goodell is out to get Ben. Turns out, everyone was wrong and it's nothing more than 2 individuals operating far below the expected competency levels for their positions...especially King.

Some of you may have simply questioned the appropriateness or accuracy of Goodell's statements. Some of you may have just been ragging on King or (wrongfully) the Commissioner for the timing of the article. What I read was far too many people thinking this was a personal attack on our team or against Ben...further propogation of the conspiracy theories.

I wanted to say something about it and I did. I will do it again if necessary. :D

Nice post.

We now resume our regularly scheduled awesomeness.

hawaiiansteel
02-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Check That: Roger Goodell Is a Lousy Politician, Too

Posted on February 1, 2011 by ryan

In the past, on several occasions, I have referred to Roger Goodell as a good politician but a lousy NFL Commissioner. Turns out, he’s not much of a politician, either.

Charged with convincing fans that the 18-game schedule is something we want*, and that safety is among the league’s top priorities, Goodell’s actions don’t match his words.

It’s not a perfect analogy, but work with me: in many ways, Goodell is like George W. Bush. The main difference, as best I can tell, is that while Bush was widely considered a failure at governing (like Goodell), his PR machine was unrivaled at getting out the message faster and louder than the opposition.

Goodell and the NFL, on the other hand, are currently losing the public-relations battle, and it’s not like DeMaurice Smith has some Rovian media strategy. Just the opposite, it seems. I have no idea if Smith is good at his job, but when you boil it down, Owners vs. Players is basically a political campaign. And when it comes to getting the message out, Smith has been unimpressive. Thankfully for the union, just not as unimpressive as his counterpart. Goodell’s words and actions paint him as an out-of-touch, greedy, rich guy trying to get richer on the backs of the players.

Let’s be honest: as Peter King has written previously, this is a fight between billionaires and millionaires. It’s not health care reform; lives won’t hang in the balance if a new labor deal isn’t struck by March 4. But that’s not the point. It’s about there being no football next fall because of avarice. And right now, the fans appear to support the players.

I wonder if the owners are at all troubled by this. I would have to think that they are since Goodell’s principal job is to sell us on the value of change. As it stands, I’m not sure how he could do a worse job of that.

Luckily, Goodell has the media in his back pocket, most notably Peter King, who announced Monday that he will have a 7,000-word story in Friday’s Sports Illustrated genuflecting in the commissioner’s direction for his relentlessness and hard work. If Monday Morning Quarterback was a preview, it will be a one-sided PR piece akin to a pre-election political commercial but without the “Candidate X endorses this message” disclaimer.

(Also worth noting: hard work doesn’t equate to being good at your job. No idea how that’s not obvious.)

But fans aren’t stupid (most of them, anyway). When Goodell calls out Ben Roethlisberger and Donte’ Stallworth months after they had served their punishments (and by all accounts, stayed out of trouble), it raises questions about the commissioner’s ability to competently perform his duties. In the middle of what amounts to a political campaign, what good can come of speaking publicly on player punishments? If the plan was to have it backfire in the NFL’s face … well, mission accomplished. (All that’s missing is to have Goodell standing on an aircraft carrier announcing the NFL has won.)

And backfired it has. Peter King had to issue a correction regarding Goodell’s comments that Steelers teammates did not support Roethlisberger this summer. And in hours since the correction, it’s been open season on the NFL. During NFL Network’s Media Day telecast, Deion Sanders offered this frank assessment: “Isn’t it something that Commissioner Goodell can tell Peter King, ‘Look here man, you better get this right.’”

King got the quote right but Goodell still looks like a schmuck. But he had to know this would happen, right? If not, god help us all. Because then we’re dealing with someone so out of their depth that they’re liable to do anything. A loose cannon, making decisions on a whim, with no interest in the long-term ramifications.

Lessening Goodell’s credibility: players — most notably on the Steelers — speaking out. Hines Ward has been beating this drum all season and in a recent interview with GQ he didn’t mince words: “To say the league really cares? They don’t give a f*ck about concussions. And now they want to add on two extra games? Are you kidding? Come on, let’s be real.” (That entire article is an indictment against what the NFL is trying to do. In terms of spin, the players accomplished more in a few hundred words than Goodell has been able to manage in months of gum-flapping.)

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/02/c ... #more-4069 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/02/check-roger-goodell-lousy-politician/#more-4069)

Flasteel
02-01-2011, 09:03 PM

Nice post.

We now resume our regularly scheduled awesomeness.

:Cheers

...and allow me to clarify on Crash. Despite the fact that I believe he's a certified, tin foil hat-wearing kook, I have a ton of respect for him. The dude is a highly intelligent :Beer machine and I'm appreciative he spices things up for us from time to time.

Djfan
02-01-2011, 09:03 PM
[
:Cheers

...and allow me to clarify on Crash. Despite the fact that I believe he's a certified, tin foil hat-wearing kook, I have a ton of respect for him. The dude is a highly intelligent :Beer machine and I'm appreciative he spices things up for us from time to time.

Agreed, sort of.

Crash
02-01-2011, 09:08 PM
...and allow me to clarify on Crash. Despite the fact that I believe he's a certified, tin foil hat-wearing kook, I have a ton of respect for him. The dude is a highly intelligent machine and I'm appreciative he spices things up for us from time to time.

The facts over the years prove Goodell is our worst enemy.

I just wish our owners would stand up to him rather than cower in fear.

Djfan
02-01-2011, 09:24 PM
...and allow me to clarify on Crash. Despite the fact that I believe he's a certified, tin foil hat-wearing kook, I have a ton of respect for him. The dude is a highly intelligent machine and I'm appreciative he spices things up for us from time to time.

The facts over the years prove Goodell is our worst enemy.

I just wish our owners would stand up to him rather than cower in fear.

There you go. I agree with him, if the "our" he is referring to is the NFL at large, and the fan base as well.

Crash
02-01-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm talking about the Steelers.

Spygate.

Forced the Rooney's to disband their ownership.

Ben's unjust suspension.

Scheduling the Ravens (who Ben was 6-1 against at home) in Pittsburgh with Ben out.

Then the hits we get flagged/fined for, and the subsequent ignoring of the same type of hits delivered to Steelers QBs and WR's.

Now Goodell's comments ie. Ben in regards to what helped make his decison. Don't blame Peter King, blame Goodell for opening his goddamn yap.

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2011, 03:04 AM
© Note to Peter King: The difference between a couple of dozen Steelers not having Ben Roethlisberger's back and a couple of dozen NFL players from around the league is a chasm as big as the Grand Canyon.

Just sayin'...

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

feltdizz
02-02-2011, 09:50 AM

I agree with you on the 24 players outside the Steelers comment...

but those who think Goodell actually said 24 Steelers and is now lying to protect himself are way off base. That's crazy talk right there and FlaSteel summed it up nicely.

Nothing wrong with commenting on the actual quote but the need for some to go tin foil looney bin is comical.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-02-2011, 10:29 AM
I was rerouted to this from another article. I had never gone to Florio's site before this and stumbled across this article about the King retraction. Keeping in mind that his motives are to back up his buddy King here but he raises some of the same questions we do.....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... questions/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/02/goodells-clarified-comments-on-roethlisberger-raise-questions/)

I have highlighted a few points in red that are the same questions many of us have brought up.

Goodell’s clarified comments on Roethlisberger raise questions
Posted by Mike Florio on February 2, 2011, 12:24 AM EST
Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger directs play against the Jets in first quarter during the NFL AFC Championship football game in Pittsburgh

On Monday, Peter King of Sports Illustrated reported in his Monday Morning Quarterback column that Commissioner Roger Goodell had spoken with roughly two dozen Steelers players in connection with the investigation that culminated in the six-game (reduced to four) suspension of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. King later clarified Goodell’s remarks; Goodell, as King explained it, didn’t mean to say that the players were members of the Pittsburgh Steelers, but that they played for other teams.

King took responsibility for the erroneous assumption, and he expressed regret. But as pointed out in today’s edition of ProFootballTalk Live, King’s assumption was reasonable.

Before going any farther with this, I need to acknowledge two things. Peter King is a colleague and a friend. He has been gracious and cordial and generous with me, with no agenda and nothing to gain from nurturing and lending credibility to a recovering Internet hack. (It’s 12-step process, times 12.) And to the extent that anyone thinks his agenda was to secure favorable treatment on these pages in the event of an incident like this, you’re far more cynical than even we are.

That said, why should King have believed that Goodell included in his review of the question of whether Roethlisberger violated the Personal Conduct Policy roughly 24 discussions with men who have only limited exposure to Roethlisberger — and no discussions with his teammates?

Who’s in a better position to shed light on the manner in which Roethlisberger behaved when interacting with women in alcohol-influenced social settings, teammates who have seen him in such settings or players from other teams who see him if at all for three hours on a Sunday afternoon?

Moreover, consider the words Goodell used. He said he spoke to “I bet two dozen players” and “[n]ot one, not a single player, went to [Roethlisberger's] defense.” So why would Goodell find it noteworthy that players from other teams opted not to go to Roethlisberger’s defense?

Thus, while King’s assumption ultimately may not have been accurate, it was reasonable, under the circumstances.

That said, why was Goodell interested in talking to players from other teams in connection with an investigation as to whether Roethlisberger violated the Personal Conduct Policy? There seems to be no relevance to the views of players from other teams, unless those 24 or so players from other teams have a history of hanging out with Roethlisberger during times when he may have been interacting with females in an inappropriate way.

And if that’s why Goodell was talking to the players from other teams, why wouldn’t he want to talk to Roethlisberger’s teammates?

Then there’s the question of why Goodell was sharing these observations in an on-the-record manner with any reporter. Although team president Art Rooney, II, seemed to imply in remarks to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the comments weren’t intended to be published this week (or, presumably, ever), King’s clarification did not include any explanation that Goodell objected to the use of the quotes as on-the-record statements.

Something doesn’t make sense here, and it would be naive to assume that the call from Goodell to King that resulted in King’s clarification wasn’t preceded by a much more heated call from someone named Rooney to Goodell demanding that the toothpaste be crammed back into the tube before the Crest hit the fan at Media Day.

ikestops85
02-02-2011, 11:34 AM

but those who think Goodell actually said 24 Steelers and is now lying to protect himself are way off base. That's crazy talk right there and FlaSteel summed it up nicely.

Nothing wrong with commenting on the actual quote but the need for some to go tin foil looney bin is comical.

Now, after reading what Florio said do you want to change your comment? We are just questioning the logic of what Goodell and King said. I don't think we are saying it's a big conspiracy (except for the obvious 1 or 2) to get the Steelers. I think people are saying Goodell is an arse who doesn't know what he is doing and the Steelers have been one of the victims of his incompetence. Nothing more ... nothing less.

feltdizz
02-02-2011, 11:49 AM

Now, after reading what Florio said do you want to change your comment? We are just questioning the logic of what Goodell and King said. I don't think we are saying it's a big conspiracy (except for the obvious 1 or 2) to get the Steelers. I think people are saying Goodell is an arse who doesn't know what he is doing and the Steelers have been one of the victims of his incompetence. Nothing more ... nothing less.

Florio is an azzz... He would like nothing more then to hear 24 Steelers don't like Ben. Why would I change my comment because another guy wants to put his stick in the pot?

Who in there right mind would say something like that besides Hines Ward to a reporter? :wink:

24 Steelers and 24 players are so far apart it makes no sense to even entertain the former as a truth.

I agree the whole story is unprofessional and to use it this week when it was said on the 7th of January is unprofessional.

ikestops85
02-02-2011, 12:09 PM

Florio is an azzz... He would like nothing more then to hear 24 Steelers don't like Ben. Why would I change my comment because another guy wants to put his stick in the pot?

Who in there right mind would say something like that besides Hines Ward to a reporter? :wink:

24 Steelers and 24 players are so far apart it makes no sense to even entertain the former as a truth.

I agree the whole story is unprofessional and to use it this week when it was said on the 7th of January is unprofessional.

I agree that Florio is an azz but if the azz is even asking the question why can't we? If I'm Peter King talking to Goodell about Ben and he says he talked to 24 players and none of them supported Ben my assumption has to be he means Steelers. Why in the hell would he talk to other players? Are you saying that makes sense to you?

Jooser
02-02-2011, 01:23 PM

I happen to be enjoying the thread, if you don't like the subject, you can choose not to click on it? It becomes condescending when other posters tell other posters how to think or feel about things that pertain to the team. I don't have any tin foil on my head, but I do think that Goodell does not treat Ben with the same respect as, say Vick? That being said, I respect your opinion if you disagree, but I choose to whine about said topic because it irks me to no end, and YES I'll have some cheese with that! :D

Djfan
02-02-2011, 01:29 PM

This.

grotonsteel
02-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Mofo BADall does not even show respect to Dan Rooney.

Peter King Article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...1467/index.htm

" A couple of years ago, during NFL meetings in California, the commissioner and Steelers owner Dan Rooney, with their wives at the table, argued openly about the league's sanctions against Pittsburgh's physical wideout, Hines Ward. "He plays by the book!" Rooney barked.Goodell sighed."

"Dan," he said, "the problem is, you never think your players do anything wrong."

BADall can go to hell.

Flasteel
02-03-2011, 10:16 PM

I happen to be enjoying the thread, if you don't like the subject, you can choose not to click on it? It becomes condescending when other posters tell other posters how to think or feel about things that pertain to the team. I don't have any tin foil on my head, but I do think that Goodell does not treat Ben with the same respect as, say Vick? That being said, I respect your opinion if you disagree, but I choose to whine about said topic because it irks me to no end, and YES I'll have some cheese with that! :D

http://www.nindomom.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/little-stinky-cheese-2.jpg

Crash
02-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Everyone on this (and other boards) who told me how wrong I was when I said Goodell had a personal vendetta against this team?

http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/meh.ro4861.jpg

Flasteel
02-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Everyone on this (and other boards) who told me how wrong I was when I said Goodell had a personal vendetta against this team?

http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/meh.ro4861.jpg

Okay...now that's funny. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pretty gross, but somehow funny. :D

papillon
02-04-2011, 12:33 AM
Just remember everyone, we try to keep this as G-rated as we can. Embedding words in .jpgs or .gifs etc that aren't acceptable if typed isn't condoned. I know others have done it, so, this message goes to everyone that may have played fast and loose with the rules. If what you put in the picture wouldn't be accepted if you typed it in then it should be left off the board.

Thank you,
Pappy

Crash
02-04-2011, 12:35 AM
Go eat a bag of dicks!

There, it's acceptable. :)

papillon
02-04-2011, 12:57 AM
Go eat a bag of dicks!

There, it's acceptable. :)

:moon :Cheers But, still try to keep it clean.

Pappy