PDA

View Full Version : These Steelers or 70s Steelers

Oviedo
01-31-2011, 01:02 PM
If we win, and a big if, this Sunday which teams are really greater?

Would this year be a greater achievement given this team has had to be built and kept together in the era of salary caps and free agency?

THe 70s teams were clearly more dominant but they were able to do that because they "owned" the players essemtially for their entire careers.

RuthlessBurgher
01-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Three championships in six seasons in the era of free agency is an accomplishment roughly equivalent to four championships in six seasons in the era preceeding free agency, in my mind.

We would be one of only 3 teams to win 3 titles in the free agency era.

The New England titles are tainted. I think we can all agree about that.

The Dallas titles occurred shortly after the ridiculous draft bounty that Minnesota handed to them in the absurd Herschel Walker trade. We had no such advantage when building our team. Plus, they benefitted from playing the seemingly already defeated Bills in their 3rd and 4th consecutive Super Bowl losses, then got SBXXX handed to them on a silver platter by Neil O'Donnell after our Steelers outplayed them in Tempe that year.

If we win this Super Bowl, you couldn't argue that this isn't a second Pittsburgh dynasty.

flippy
01-31-2011, 01:20 PM
The best of the current team is in front of us. We haven't seen the best yet.

Oviedo
01-31-2011, 01:33 PM

I agree with you on the offensive side of the ball. Not so sure on the defense with the losses we will see over the next couple of years. We just haven't been able to get enough young players meaningful playing time on that side of the ball which means we really don't know what we have.

flippy
01-31-2011, 01:39 PM

I agree with you on the offensive side of the ball. Not so sure on the defense with the losses we will see over the next couple of years. We just haven't been able to get enough young players meaningful playing time on that side of the ball which means we really don't know what we have.

Agreed. We've got some work to do. So far we've only seen Ziggy, Timmons, and Woodley. But those 3 are super special imho.

But most of the vets are young enough to play a few more years and we need to draft well. And I've liked what I've seen on ST from guys like Sylvester and Worldis. Gay is becoming as good as Deshea and will be a solid contributor for years.

We really just need to refresh the DLIne and the DBs and should be ok. I wouldn't mind seeing us make a run at a young unheralded FA or 2 on the D side of the ball.

But I also see the offense making the defense even better. And I'm excited about a guy like Worldis pinning his ears back to go after a QB. He's fast.

grotonsteel
01-31-2011, 01:41 PM
If this team wins 3rd SB i would give a slight nod to current Steelers team. Free Agency i believe is a huge factor. Also the Rules changed to favor fantasy football should also be taken into account.

Iron Shiek
01-31-2011, 01:58 PM
I can't legitimately comment since I was born just after the Steel Curtain years. However, I do know one thing. If that defense was the Steel Curtain, then this year's version of the defense should be called the Steel Grater:

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab32/lma593/a83a17d5.jpg

(forgive me if this pic has been posted, haven't been around the last couple days)

ScoreKeeper
01-31-2011, 03:01 PM
The 70's Steelers playing under the 70's rules, even after the Blount Rule was put into effect, would trash the current team. Can you imagine the 70's d-line against the current o-line? Ouch.

papillon
01-31-2011, 03:07 PM
I like the current team better from an entertainment standpoint; they are more exciting than the 70s Steelers. The 70s Steelers defense was better than this defense and this defense is d@mn good. The current offense and the 70s offense are eerily similar in that at times they can dominate a game and then disappear for a quarter and half in the same game. But, the biggest similarity is the ability to make big plays. Both offenses had playmakers that showed up huge in big games.

This team will have a few HOFers when its all said and done: Ben, Troy and Hines for sure. We don't even have to go down the laundry list of HOFers from the70s we all know who they are.

Tomlin and Noll are similar in their demeanor during game day; I believe Noll was a better teacher, but Tomlin a better motivator. With a 15 to 20 year career I can see Mike Tomlin getting into the HOF as well.

For me, Ben is the difference, I've said this before and I'll repeat it here again. Watching Steeler football has never been as exciting as it is right now and it's because of the way Ben plays the game. Terry was the same, but I can't put my finger on why Ben makes it more exciting. They both made big plays, they both made/make boneheaded plays, they both could scramble and make plays with their feet, but Ben for some reason puts me on the edge of my seat with an adrenaline high unlike any other.

I will say this as well, I am much more confident that this team will win big games than I was with the 70s team. I can't say why, but I just believe that going into games this version of the Steelers will find a way to win the game more-so than the 7os team, they made me nuts with all that talent and to be in so many close games. I expect this team to be in close games because the overall talent level isn't the same.

Pappy

spyboots
02-01-2011, 03:11 AM
Two different eras, different rules; it's a different game now.

Oviedo
02-01-2011, 08:27 AM
I like the current team better from an entertainment standpoint; they are more exciting than the 70s Steelers. The 70s Steelers defense was better than this defense and this defense is d@mn good. The current offense and the 70s offense are eerily similar in that at times they can dominate a game and then disappear for a quarter and half in the same game. But, the biggest similarity is the ability to make big plays. Both offenses had playmakers that showed up huge in big games.

This team will have a few HOFers when its all said and done: Ben, Troy and Hines for sure. We don't even have to go down the laundry list of HOFers from the70s we all know who they are.

Tomlin and Noll are similar in their demeanor during game day; I believe Noll was a better teacher, but Tomlin a better motivator. With a 15 to 20 year career I can see Mike Tomlin getting into the HOF as well.

For me, Ben is the difference, I've said this before and I'll repeat it here again. Watching Steeler football has never been as exciting as it is right now and it's because of the way Ben plays the game. Terry was the same, but I can't put my finger on why Ben makes it more exciting. They both made big plays, they both made/make boneheaded plays, they both could scramble and make plays with their feet, but Ben for some reason puts me on the edge of my seat with an adrenaline high unlike any other.

I will say this as well, I am much more confident that this team will win big games than I was with the 70s team. I can't say why, but I just believe that going into games this version of the Steelers will find a way to win the game more-so than the 7os team, they made me nuts with all that talent and to be in so many close games. I expect this team to be in close games because the overall talent level isn't the same.

Pappy

Well said and I agree. There will never be a defense like the 70s...ever!!! But offensively I think this team is as good.

The lack of Steelers for the HoF isn't about talent, its about the media backlash and perception there are too many Steelers in now.

MeetJoeGreene
02-01-2011, 09:00 AM
I enjoy and relish both.

I have a child-like wonderment memory of the 70s team, so I hold them in that sort of "awe".

But I appreciate the struggles, hurdles, and efforts of this team more as an adult.

There is enough room in me to embrace both of these - I don't have a favorite child!! I love them both equally - in different ways.

msp26505
02-01-2011, 09:22 AM

Pappy

I think it was because the 70's team turned the ball over about every third play.

If they had any sense of ball security, they probably would have won every game 40-0.

Still, I am reminded of John Facenda's booming voice: "Great teams aren't always great, they're only great when they have to be."

That seems to describe both versions of the Steelers.

papillon
02-01-2011, 12:00 PM

Pappy

Well said and I agree. There will never be a defense like the 70s...ever!!! But offensively I think this team is as good.

The lack of Steelers for the HoF isn't about talent, its about the media backlash and perception there are too many Steelers in now.

The only other current Steeler other than Ben, Troy and Hines that will get a shot at the HOF is Hampton and possibly Harrison if he plays long enough at his current level of play.

Woodley and Mendenhall seem headed in that direction, but it's way too early in their careers.

When I think of Greene (possibly the best ever DT), Blount (possibly the best ever CB), Lambert (possibly the best ever MLB), Webster (possibly the best ever C) and you add to that Ham, Harris, Swann, Stallworth, Bradshaw and Noll you can't compare the talent. The 70s Steelers should have won a lot of games and had it not been for injuries to Bleier and Harris against the Colts leaving the Steelers with one running back for the AFCCG against the Raiders the best team of the bunch would have won Super Bowl XI and completed the three-peat.

Pappy

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-04-2011, 11:37 AM
I don't remember the details of the 70s ... but have watched a lot about them in more recent years. It seems to me that BOTH sets of teams often won key games by the skin of their teeth, luck/good fortune, etc.

That one little play where a ball rebounded off a Raider into a certain Steeler RB's hands, for example ... that dropped TD pass by a Cowboy in the end zone in the 70s Superbowl; in the modern era: the missed FG in the Colts playoff on the road to XL ... the dropped TD pass by Boldin in the end zone in the playoffs this year ...

"Heart Attack City" is the common characteristic between the 70's Steelers and the current crop, as far as I can see - oh yeah, and WINNING!

Great thread idea, Ovi!

Oviedo
02-04-2011, 11:41 AM
I don't remember the details of the 70s ... but have watched a lot about them in more recent years. It seems to me that BOTH sets of teams often won key games by the skin of their teeth, luck/good fortune, etc.

That one little play where a ball rebounded off a Raider into a certain Steeler RB's hands, for example ... that dropped TD pass by a Cowboy in the end zone in the 70s Superbowl; in the modern era: the missed FG in the Colts playoff on the road to XL ... the dropped TD pass by Boldin in the end zone in the playoffs this year ...

"Heart Attack City" is the common characteristic between the 70's Steelers and the current crop, as far as I can see - oh yeah, and WINNING!

Great thread idea, Ovi!

I watched every game during the 70s. The most striking thing about that team is when opponents faced our defense they looked defeated before the game even started. I remeber when they pitched like 3 or 4 straight shutouts. That is unheard of.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-04-2011, 11:44 AM

Great thread idea, Ovi!

I watched every game during the 70s. The most striking thing about that team is when opponents faced our defense they looked defeated before the game even started. I remeber when they pitched like 3 or 4 straight shutouts. That is unheard of.

Do people tend to agree those 70's Steeler defenses were better than the '85 Bears and 2000 Ravens?