PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts

Djfan
01-29-2011, 04:42 PM
I've read so much and spoken to so many people, and listened to shows on TV and radio, to the point that my thoughts are mush.

It seems that the Pack will win if you believe the pundits. So what.

The Steelers seem to have lost their defense in the last few days, if the talking heads are to be believed. Or, Rogers is just so good, that the Steelers D is just out of any hope. I don't get it.

Also, don't we have the fastest receiver on the planet on our team? His hands are money.

Looking at the adjustments BA and dick Lebeau have used in the last few weeks gives me hope.

Last year we beat them at the last moment - literally - without Troy and with a very pourus pass D. This years its much better in our favor.

Ben is money in the big moments. Rogers is untested here.

Miller has something to prove. So does Legursky.

Our chances of winning are very good IMO. Those chances go up as our mistakes go down - mistakes by players and coaches.

Let's hope the zebras don' interfere.

Let's do this!

Ozey74
01-29-2011, 04:55 PM
I think that the fact that Steelers rosters is filled with players have been to the Super Bowl twice in the last 6 years and the Packers have only 2 players that have ever been is huge. Ben has proved that their is no stage that is too big for him & Tomlin is cool as a cucumber -and that rubs off on a team (full of veterns no less). The Steelers always play well as underdogs. I think we win, but it will be close (as a majority of the Steeler games are).

:Beer

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-29-2011, 06:31 PM
A few more things to consider.

* We know that the Steelers do not crumble if they get behind early - as witnessed during the Ravens game. We don't know what would happen to the Pack and specifically their QB if they find themselves down 14 early.

* Only one offense has truly manhandled this D all season. GB is similar in that they would be in their element throwing all game out of a spread set. But there are some differences between the two offenses. NE's game is the mid range passing game. GB prefers going deep. The Steelers D likes to keep the play in front of them which makes them more susceptible to the mid range pass than the deep ball. Also, we saw the spread offense once already and Coach Lebeau should be prepared to counter it.

* The Pack is on a five game winning streak. In those 5 games they have beaten Chicago (twice), Giants, Philly, and Atlanta.

While each presented a decent defense to Rodgers, here are the league rankings in several important categories:

Team YPG Sacks points allowed
Chicago 9th T-17th 4th
Giants 7th 5th 17th
Philly 12th T-10th 21st
Atlanta 16th T-20th 5th

Pittsburgh 2nd 1st 1st

They may talk like it but they have not seen a D like ours, not even in practice. They may think that scheming against Matthews is similar to watching Harrison - alright - but that opens up Woodley who is on a six game playoff sack streak. They might be used to seeing an effective fat guy in the middle, but certainly not DEs like Keisel and Ziggy. I foresee a very nice game for those two. And finally, they can't be prepared to face our two freaks in Troy and Timmons. That is the type of thing that can rattle a QB if they can make a couple of early plays, especially Troy because he has so much hype that (rightfully) goes along with him.

* Watch the way Rodgers plays if Troy makes a big play. Say an int where you know that ARod is thinking "I can't believe how fast he closed". He could spend the next drive concentrating so much on where Troy is that he forgets to pay attention to the other 10 guys.

Enough rambling....now some football.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Ben rarely has two bad games in a row.

i feel pretty good.

sentinel33
01-29-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm tired of these close games(my heart) and i'm tired of people disrespecting the team. how are The Steelers the underdogs? wtf
Boot on the throat for 60 minutes.
Steelers win in a rout.

Call it an early Christmas gift.

Steelers. ALL THE WAY

pick6
01-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Last week I saw the packers center destroying the Bears dlinemen. Some big name guys were getting pushed around all game. This will not happen this next week. Our front 7 will be too much for them. Im so glad that we play the Ravens twice a year because after that there is no amount of physicality that will shock us. Battle tested. I don't see their tackles being able to handle a pumped Harrison and Woodley. I don't know if we will have to bring more than 5 at a time. Just think that we have to be disciplined and not over pursue, early. They will try to use our speed against early on. watch out for the screens and misdirection stuff. And here is the most important thing.

You may be able to pass your way into the red zone, but you have to be able to run it in with the shortened field. The Packers running game will be neutralized. so this is the area where I might blitz 6 and spy a very mobile Rogers. I think that they will have a hard time punching it in, this may lead to them taking many shots downfield from around mid field. Lebeau has to master their red zone passing tendencies and once and for all stop people from doing that criss cross WR pick play thingy see Ravens and Jets. I 1st and 2nd priorities are to stop the run.

papillon
01-30-2011, 10:12 AM

i feel pretty good.

His game last week wasn't so much bad as it simply was not up to his standards. There are a lot quarterbacks in the league that wish they could 4 or 5 big plays in a game to help their team win. It was the mundane plays that Ben didn't make in the second half last week and thus making it appear that he had a "bad" game, it was simply sub-par for him.

Pappy

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-30-2011, 10:32 AM

i feel pretty good.

His game last week wasn't so much bad as it simply was not up to his standards. There are a lot quarterbacks in the league that wish they could 4 or 5 big plays in a game to help their team win. It was the mundane plays that Ben didn't make in the second half last week and thus making it appear that he had a "bad" game, it was simply sub-par for him.

Pappy

:Agree with the Pap-meister. Actually, I didn't think Ben had a bad game at all as I was watching it! The usual ups and downs, but making game winning plays in the end, just another Woooo day at the office. I was surprised to see his QB rating at the end - just goes to show there's winning, and then there's stats!

flippy
01-30-2011, 10:45 AM
James Harrison needs to make some fine money back.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-30-2011, 12:41 PM
take the glasses off guys. it was a bad game by bens standards.

poor throw on the pass to miller in the 1st. underthrown ball for an INT that should have been six.

yes, he made plays to win the game, but it was not a great effort by any stretch of the imagination. i expect better next sunday if the steelers are to win #7.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Last week I saw the packers center destroying the Bears dlinemen. Some big name guys were getting pushed around all game. This will not happen this next week. Our front 7 will be too much for them. Im so glad that we play the Ravens twice a year because after that there is no amount of physicality that will shock us. Battle tested. I don't see their tackles being able to handle a pumped Harrison and Woodley. I don't know if we will have to bring more than 5 at a time. Just think that we have to be disciplined and not over pursue, early. They will try to use our speed against early on. watch out for the screens and misdirection stuff. And here is the most important thing.

You may be able to pass your way into the red zone, but you have to be able to run it in with the shortened field. The Packers running game will be neutralized. so this is the area where I might blitz 6 and spy a very mobile Rogers. I think that they will have a hard time punching it in, this may lead to them taking many shots downfield from around mid field. Lebeau has to master their red zone passing tendencies and once and for all stop people from doing that criss cross WR pick play thingy see Ravens and Jets. I 1st and 2nd priorities are to stop the run.

You are right about being battle tested. We had three pretty hardcore games against the Rats.

I hope this is a game where we get that 14 point lead, and keep attacking without fear, using the same tactics that got us that 14 point lead. Like someone said, put your foot on the throat. If you are up 14 and they get a pick then at that point rely on your defense to make a stop. Don't make it so you hinder yourself out of fear of a turnover and totally rely on your defense to make a stop. I want to see us spread these guys out, use all the stud WR we have at our disposal, use our stud TE, and use Mendenhall out of the backfield.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-30-2011, 01:57 PM

poor throw on the pass to miller in the 1st. underthrown ball for an INT that should have been six.

yes, he made plays to win the game, but it was not a great effort by any stretch of the imagination. i expect better next sunday if the steelers are to win #7.

Statistically speaking, I agree 100% with you. But I also keep in mind that sometimes Ben's "stats" seem to be inversely related to the W-L ratio. He had "HOF stats" last year, and of course the team didn't have much to show for it. He won Superbowl XL with pitiful stats, and of course beat the Jets last week with even worse stats. I hope he has a 400 yard game like last time we beat the Pack, but even if he doesn't, I still think we have a great chance to win.

Wolfhound45
01-30-2011, 02:21 PM
I see two evenly matched teams with the biggest differential being Super Bowl experience (which is important IMHO). The Packers have the offensive firepower to win it. No doubt about it.

I see it coming down to a final possession.

I see our defense putting the the ball in Ben's hands.

I like our chances.

:Steel

sd steel
01-30-2011, 03:06 PM

I think alot of people are forgeting that we were up 24-0 with a backup center and it was 0 degrees outside. Sometimes these small things can affect a QB's performance and numbers. Ben did what was needed to win. Great game in my opinion.