PDA

View Full Version : How lucky are Suisham & Kapinos?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Man, these two have to be counting their blessings. Picked up midway through the season after sitting at home, and end up kicking/punting in the Superbowl. Hope they both do a great job in the big game! Suisham has been pretty money if you ask me (knock on wood).

Do both, or either of these guys retain their positions for next season? If Sepulveda rehabs his knee once again, does he reclaim the P duties?

hawaiiansteel
01-29-2011, 04:44 PM
let them compete for a roster spot, competition breeds efficiency.

Djfan
01-29-2011, 04:46 PM
let them compete for a roster spot, competition breeds efficiency.

Agreed. Sushi is a lock, IMO, but Sep has to earn the spot again, if Tomlin asks me for advice about it.

Isn't Kapinos cheaper than Sep is?

ScoreKeeper
01-29-2011, 04:53 PM
No, we are lucky. We needed a Penn State guy on the roaster.

Have had at least one for every SB win.

hawaiiansteel
01-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Clutch kicks helped lead Suisham to NFL

By Jerry DiPaola, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, January 29, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-01-28/suisham-a.jpg

Shaun Suisham
Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review

The saga of Steelers kicker Shaun Suisham was born 12 years ago on a cold, rainy day in Canada.

"A Pittsburgh day," said Rob MacLaclan, Suisham's uncle and high school coach, pleased by the irony.

Suisham was playing for Wallaceburg (Ontario) District Secondary School in the 1999 Kent County championship game. A recent question about his range brought that contest into context.

Suisham, relaxing on a stool in the Steelers locker room before preparations began in earnest for Super Bowl XLV, was asked about his longest field goal.

"Fifty-eight yards," he said, offering full disclosure when asked if it won the game.

"It was the last score," Suisham said, "but I don't want to stretch it. I don't want to make it into something (it isn't). It was at the end of the first half."

But it was his second of the game and the decisive score in Wallaceburg's 6-5 upset victory. The week before, Suisham had kicked a 57-yarder in the county semifinals.

"His whole life changed because of those two (long) kicks," Wallaceburg athletic director Don Martin said.

By all accounts, Suisham was an outstanding soccer player, but his favorite sport was hockey. He advanced to the Junior C level, just below the minors.

"He was a very tough kid," said Martin, noting he also was a linebacker. "He played junior hockey in the role of a real grinder. He really had no intention of doing anything in football."

"I certainly never envisioned this path," Suisham said.

MacLaclan put together a video of Suisham's kicks and sent it to 75 colleges. Only Bowling Green offered a scholarship.

Suisham never has forgotten his uncle's efforts, giving back to the Wallaceburg community at every opportunity. He organizes an annual football clinic that is free to all kids. When he heard the school couldn't afford a new scoreboard, he raised the money himself all $20,000.

When he was with the Washington Redskins, he noticed several pieces of discarded practice equipment, threw them into the back of his truck and hauled them home to Wallaceburg. The truck has a dent in it from the move, but the school uses the equipment to this day.

In the NFL, Suisham's career has been strangely nomadic, considering he has kicked 101 field goals in six seasons but has been cut by seven teams, including the Steelers in his rookie training camp in 2005 and the Dallas Cowboys and Redskins twice.

Still, he is the only kicker in NFL history to kick four or more field goals of 40 yards or longer in one game; he's done it twice, including four against the Buffalo Bills on Nov. 28. That was two weeks after he replaced Jeff Reed.

Suisham had a streak of 15 in a row from between 40 and 49 yards before missing a 41-yarder in Week 16. He hit his first 12 attempts with the Steelers and is 16 of 18 overall.

Suisham, 29, is not signed beyond this season, but that doesn't bother him. He repeated many times during a recent interview that he is at peace with life, no matter the fragility of his career.

"Normally I am living in the moment. The rest is just clutter," he said. "Right now I am focused on getting ready for the Super Bowl and family life and that type of stuff.

"I will train, and I will be prepared, and hopefully I can continue to do this. I am going to do what I trained myself to do, put a good foot on the ball and most times, if I do that, the ball is going to go where I want it to go."

Read more: Clutch kicks helped lead Suisham to NFL - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1CSLVnndp (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_720382.html#ixzz1CSLVnndp)

ScoreKeeper
01-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Wife loves him since she met Reed and called him a f^&king punk. And she doesn't cuss like that often. :lol:

Mister Pittsburgh
01-29-2011, 05:05 PM
F'n Jerry must read this board, came across my post, and quickly wrote that story! Where's the cred Jerry?????

hawaiiansteel
01-29-2011, 05:12 PM
F'n Jerry must read this board, came across my post, and quickly wrote that story! Where's the cred Jerry?????

yup, and Jerry wrote a quick article on Sep and Kapinos too... :lol:

Sidelined Sepulveda will miss second straight Steelers Super Bowl

By Jerry DiPaola, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, January 29, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-01-28/sepulveda-a.jpg

Daniel Sepulveda
Christopher Horner | Tribune-Review

The Steelers are in the Super Bowl for the second time in three seasons, but punter Daniel Sepulveda again will miss the game, reprising his role as the little boy with his face pressed against the window of a candy store.

Though Sepulveda is not smiling.

"I could think of a lot worse problems to have in life," he said.

A torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee forced Sepulveda onto season-ending injured reserve after the Baltimore Ravens game Dec. 5. He suffered the injury trying to make a tackle on a punt return and had surgery five days later.

He tore the same ligament in training camp in 2008, ending his season long before the Super Bowl victory against the Arizona Cardinals.

"I guess I just have a biological predisposition to tearing an ACL," said Sepulveda, who plans to be ready for training camp in the summer. "I have been told I have loose joints."

But if you think he spends his days feeling sorry for himself, you don't know him very well.

"When you look at this situation, sure, it is unfortunate," he said, "but at the same time this is not a situation where, 'Oh, woe is me. I am cursed. I am so unlucky.' "

Sepulveda said his relationship with Jesus Christ allows him to endure.

"I want to be as closely related to God as I can be," he said. "In order to do that, I recognize the truth in the Bible that God can work for my good in the midst of all circumstances, even when they are bad. And this is something I would call a bad circumstance.

"This is not a denial. This is just an acceptance of reality. It is not something that I deny exists or deny that I am upset. But I use that attitude to have a proper perspective."

Replacement punter Jeremy Kapinos realizes his career can be as fragile as Sepulveda's knee.

Kapinos, a third-team All-American at Penn State, was out of football this season until the Indianapolis Colts signed him for one game when Plum native Pat McAfee was suspended for off-field issues. Along with his punting duties, he kicked off for the first time since high school, then was released three days later when McAfee returned.

"This whole year has been nuts," Kapinos said. "Coming off the couch, playing for the Colts on a Monday night. That was pretty unique, and this is unique."

Since leaving Penn State, Kapinos has punted for four teams in four seasons including 2009 with the Green Bay Packers, where he had a punt blocked and was not asked to return in 2010.

With the Steelers, he had a 41.1-yard average in the final four regular-season games but has improved to 46.4 in the playoffs.

The significance of the Super Bowl is not lost on Kapinos, but he said he feels pressure regularly.

"It's a big game," he said, "but every game is big because I never know if it's going to be my last."

Read more: Sidelined Sepulveda will miss second straight Steelers Super Bowl - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1CSOT9dkC (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_720386.html#ixzz1CSOT9dkC)

RuthlessBurgher
01-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Sepulveda should come back fine. Kapinos will compete in camp just in case Sep isn't 100%, but Sepulveda is simply much more talented. He can be a weapon in terms of establishing field position, if he can stay healthy, of course.

I'd say Suisham has the inside track on the kicker job for next year, but it is not a guarantee. Someone will be brought in to challenge him in camp, and if we are able to draft a big-legged rookie kicker on day 3 of the draft like UCLA's Kai Forbath or Nebraska's Alex Henery, who bring the added dimension of long kickoffs that we have been lacking for as long as I can remember, the perhaps Sushi doesn't stick beyond this season. We'll see.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-29-2011, 05:56 PM
With the Steelers, he had a 41.1-yard average in the final four regular-season games but has improved to 46.4 in the playoffs.

That is great that Kapinos stepped it up in the playoffs. 46.4 yds per punt is better than Sepulveda's career average of 45.5.

After rewatching that Jets game, it seems pretty amazing to me Kapinos leg didn't snap in half on that running into the kicker incident. In slow motion when they showed it his shin kind of flexes like if you took a hand saw and shook it. Looked kind of sick.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-29-2011, 06:31 PM
yet another reason Mike Tomlin doesn't get the respect he deserves for his coaching performance this season. talk about being above the line.

the guy had to totally remake his kicking game in the last half of the season. thats not an easy task.

hawaiiansteel
01-29-2011, 06:35 PM
yet another reason Mike Tomlin doesn't get the respect he deserves for his coaching performance this season. talk about being above the line.

the guy had to totally remake his kicking game in the last half of the season. thats not an easy task.

ya gotta give Kevin Colbert a lot of credit also... :Clap

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-29-2011, 06:38 PM

At least it is easier than losing your two starting OTs. :lol:

Eddie Spaghetti
01-29-2011, 06:39 PM

ya gotta give Kevin Colbert a lot of credit also... :Clap

yep.

the steeler braintrust was running in high gear this season.

aggiebones
01-29-2011, 08:29 PM
He got cut from GB for having a punt blocked. That's a BIIIGGG no-no.
It was close last Sunday. I hope he has that sorted out. That's a game killed. And they will look him up next Sunday to see if they think they can get to him.

ALLD
01-29-2011, 09:44 PM
He got cut from GB for having a punt blocked. That's a BIIIGGG no-no.
It was close last Sunday. I hope he has that sorted out. That's a game killed. And they will look him up next Sunday to see if they think they can get to him.

That's why Noll ran it on 4th down and refused to send Boboy walden out there in the SB that time to let the definse finish the game.

flippy
01-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Man, these two have to be counting their blessings. Picked up midway through the season after sitting at home, and end up kicking/punting in the Superbowl. Hope they both do a great job in the big game! Suisham has been pretty money if you ask me (knock on wood).

Do both, or either of these guys retain their positions for next season? If Sepulveda rehabs his knee once again, does he reclaim the P duties?

We're lucky to have em.

frankthetank1
01-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Sepulveda should come back fine. Kapinos will compete in camp just in case Sep isn't 100%, but Sepulveda is simply much more talented. He can be a weapon in terms of establishing field position, if he can stay healthy, of course.

I'd say Suisham has the inside track on the kicker job for next year, but it is not a guarantee. Someone will be brought in to challenge him in camp, and if we are able to draft a big-legged rookie kicker on day 3 of the draft like UCLA's Kai Forbath or Nebraska's Alex Henery, who bring the added dimension of long kickoffs that we have been lacking for as long as I can remember, the perhaps Sushi doesn't stick beyond this season. We'll see.

its a shame sep got hurt because he was on track of having a pro bowl season. i think he should come back and be fine. until suisham starts missing there is no reason to replace him. he has been automatic just like reed use to be.