PDA

View Full Version : In Memory of RedundantDad

redundantman
01-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Hey guys,

My dad passed away on Wednesday morning; 1 month shy of his 70th birthday.

Some of you may recall my mentioning that he recently got a stint put in and was recovering. We considered ourselves lucky and frankly we were. I got to enjoy two more playoff wins with my father. He got to see the Steelers re-establish themselves as the class of the NFL yet again with more Super Bowl wins and tied for the most Super Bowl appearances.

Dad grew up in Kittanning in the 40's. He rooted for a miserable football team for many years. He taught me what it meant to be from Pittsburgh and what it meant to be a Steeler fan. I've said many times that I consider my Steeler allegiance to be a legacy and I take it seriously. My brother said it best: "I am not from Pennsylvania, I am not from western Pennsylvania. I am from Pittsburgh." I got my fanaticism from my father. And now he is gone.

I'd consider it an honor if you guys would join me and my brother in drinking a "choice beverage" in his memory on Super Bowl Sunday.

anger 82&95
01-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Heartfelt condolences for the loss of your father. We will offer a toast during the game in recognition and remembrance.

ColumbusSteelerFan
01-29-2011, 09:36 AM
Prayers and condolences for your Dad here as well. We'll toast a drink in his honor on Sunday as well.

Va Steelr
01-29-2011, 09:40 AM
My condolences to you on the loss of your Dad.It will be an honor to toast him on Sunday.

Va Steelr
01-29-2011, 09:40 AM
My condolences to you on the loss of your Dad.It will be an honor to toast him on Sunday.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Prayers and condolences to you, Redundantman. I will drink a cold one in honor of your Dad next Sunday -

SASF

steelsnis
01-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Sorry for your loss, man.

SidSmythe
01-29-2011, 09:47 AM
:(

papillon
01-29-2011, 09:53 AM
This may be redundant, but God Bless you and your family during this time of great loss.

:cry:

I understand the legacy that you mention. My dad (still extant) grew up North Braddock in the 30s and moved to the Monroeville area in the late 50s. Growing up in Pittsburgh the Steelers are part of your DNA. My kids will never experience that, because they were born and raised in south central PA and will never understand being "from" Pittsburgh.

God Bless redundantman and may heart be lifted in times of sorrow.

Pappy

Steelhere10
01-29-2011, 10:21 AM
SO SO sorry for your loss. Stay strong.

MeetJoeGreene
01-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Sorry to hear that RM.... prayers and comfort to you.

And I will tip one.

frenchie
01-29-2011, 10:30 AM
My heart goes out to you and your family. May God give you the strength to get through this difficult time.

msp26505
01-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Sorry for your loss, Redundantman and :Cheers to Redundantdad on Sunday. :tt1

BradshawsHairdresser
01-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Sorry for your loss. My dad has been gone for 11 years now. I guess the hurt is less, but I still miss him a lot. I will pray for you and your family.

And when the Steelers beat the Packers, I will pause for a moment and think of your dad.

Northern_Blitz
01-29-2011, 11:34 AM
My prayers are with you and your family.

BURGH86STEEL
01-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Sorry for you and your family's loss.

sentinel33
01-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Thats a tough hit, man. Hang in there. Prayers and condolences to you and yours.

grotonsteel
01-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Prayers and Condolences to you and your family...

RKSteel
01-29-2011, 12:19 PM
RM, I am sorry for you and your family's loss.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-29-2011, 12:38 PM
sorry for your loss.

will definitely raise a glass this sunday.

ScoreKeeper
01-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Very sorry about your loss.

A cold one will be raised in his honor Sunday.

pittpete
01-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Sorry for your loss.
Hopefully the Steelers can win this one for your Dad :Steel

aggiebones
01-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Remember the good times bro.
Will tip one for you during the game. Glad you got to share a couple new SBs before his passing.

ramblinjim
01-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Will tip one for you and your dad, before, during and after the game. My condolences and prayers to you and your family.

Djfan
01-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Can't find the words RM. Very sorry about this news.

I look forward to your tribute to him in the post SB victory "redundant thoughts" thread.

Stay close to God in this time.

RuthlessBurgher
01-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Tough news, brother. Our thoughts are with you and your family in this hard time.

I'll always believe that the Chief had a hand in our magical run in the 8 straight wins that got us SBXL, that Myron played a part in our incredible victory over the Cardinals in SBXLIII, and I know that RedundantDad will be smiling down upon our boys as they face off against the Pack as we fight toward our 7th Super Bowl championship.

As an aside, a few days ago, I ordered a throwback Ernie Stautner jersey. I really hope that it arrives in time for the Super Bowl, because I will be sure to wear it for the game. Ernie played back in the 50's and 60's when your Dad was watching, and even though the team did not experience a great deal of success in those years, that was when the men were men and the game was truly rough and tumble. I'd love to don the #70 jersey in honor of your father passing away just shy of his 70th birthday.

Ozey74
01-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Sorry for your loss my fellow Steeler fan. Being that you and your pop enjoyed the Steelers together, as father and son, Super Bowl Sunday will be an emotional day for you. I lost my dad in 1995 (and he would of turned 70 earlier in January). Growing up in Pittsbugh as a kid and having him as a dad is why I am a Steeler fan for life. I remember sitting on his lap as a kid in the late 70's and also through the fogettable era of the post Bradshaw 1980's. Embrace the memories and you can bet I'll drink a beer for your dad and my dad too a week from tomorrow.

:Beer

skyhawk
01-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Dude, so sorry to hear this. Here's to remembering the good times!

Steelgal
01-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Very sorry for the loss of your father. My condolences to you and your family for your loss.

Iron Shiek
01-29-2011, 08:10 PM
My condolences redundatman.

snarky
01-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Sorry for your loss RM. I will raise a glass during SB.

There's been a lot of talk about how lucky we are to be Steeler fans and how the players are a family. But I also think that following the Steelers is one of the greatest experiences in sports because the team has such a long tradition (going back even before they were good) and a passionate fan base. This team is something we can share with our loved ones and something that gets passed down through the generations.

It's good that you got to share that with your dad over so many years and likewise it is good that he was able to see them thrive in the playoffs before he passed on.

My thoughts are with you.

AngryAsian
01-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Prayers and Sentiments to you and your family, RM. Will most certainly raise a toast in honor of RM the first. When I lost my brother at a very young age, my high school soccer coach/political science teacher sent me a card with this quote that I have always loved -

"Why then should we grieve that a new child is born among the immortals?"
- Benjamin Franklin

Take good care, my friend

SteelBucks
01-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Prayers to you and your family RM.

eniparadoxgma
01-29-2011, 11:33 PM
My condolences RM. I will toast your father next Sunday.

rpmpit
01-30-2011, 12:17 AM
Sorry about your Dad, RM. It sounds like he was a great man. Prayers for you and your family.

brothervad
01-30-2011, 01:42 AM
RM,

My deepest condolences to you and your family. You all will be in my prayers.

brothervad

Wolfhound45
01-30-2011, 03:09 AM
Rest in Peace RedundantDad.

Your family is in our thoughts and prayers.

phillyesq
01-30-2011, 09:13 AM
My condolences. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

jj28west
01-30-2011, 09:32 AM
Sorry for your loss RM

flippy
01-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Hey guys,

My dad passed away on Wednesday morning; 1 month shy of his 70th birthday.

Some of you may recall my mentioning that he recently got a stint put in and was recovering. We considered ourselves lucky and frankly we were. I got to enjoy two more playoff wins with my father. He got to see the Steelers re-establish themselves as the class of the NFL yet again with more Super Bowl wins and tied for the most Super Bowl appearances.

Dad grew up in Kittanning in the 40's. He rooted for a miserable football team for many years. He taught me what it meant to be from Pittsburgh and what it meant to be a Steeler fan. I've said many times that I consider my Steeler allegiance to be a legacy and I take it seriously. My brother said it best: "I am not from Pennsylvania, I am not from western Pennsylvania. I am from Pittsburgh." I got my fanaticism from my father. And now he is gone.

I'd consider it an honor if you guys would join me and my brother in drinking a "choice beverage" in his memory on Super Bowl Sunday.

Sorry to hear, bud.

One of my biggest fears is dying just before a big playoff game. I know that sounds stupid. But it would kill me to die right before a SuperBowl. Or to lose someone who's a huge fan. That crap just isn't fair. F that!!!!!

I'm bummed for you and your family.

But I'll raise a glass of caffeine free root beer for you and your family on Sunday.

I'm sure your dad would want this SuperBowl to be your best experience ever. So enjoy this week as much as you can. I'm sure your dad woulda.

JTP53609
01-30-2011, 11:55 AM
I am so sorry to hear of this terrible news, I hope you and your family are okay and every days is better than the last...

redundantman
01-31-2011, 09:00 PM
Hey boys,

Its been a miserable week but the family has made it through.

I wanted to express my heartfelt thanks for your ministry. I forwarded the links to this thread to my brother and sister. My little sister told me that it helped her to know she wasn't alone. She said (and I can echo this sentiment) that you just feel so alone. You guys eased that for us.

The internet can be such a stupid place ... but you know, it doesn't have to be. Thank you all.

Djfan
01-31-2011, 09:21 PM
Hey boys,

Its been a miserable week but the family has made it through.

I wanted to express my heartfelt thanks for your ministry. I forwarded the links to this thread to my brother and sister. My little sister told me that it helped her to know she wasn't alone. She said (and I can echo this sentiment) that you just feel so alone. You guys eased that for us.

The internet can be such a stupid place ... but you know, it doesn't have to be. Thank you all.

Give the family our Steelers family love. You have brought much to the planet, and it's good to return the favor.

Ghost
01-31-2011, 10:13 PM
Consider a glass raised and a moment taken for you and your family come Sunday. I can only hope to instill in my newborn son the pride your father instilled in you!

Sonny
02-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Sorry about your Father. Mine passed away August 3rd, 2009.

He was 49 years old and our biggest connection was Steeler Football. Last play he saw was Ben to Holmes, and the Pens winning the Cup didn't hurt either. I know you're probably thinking like me and dedicating this game to our Fathers.

Almost feels like we can't lose.

costanza2k1
02-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, may he rest in peace. I pray for strength for you and yours.

fordfixer
02-02-2011, 01:23 AM
Sorry for your loss I have no words to say that will help ease you pain except that I am praying for you and your family

Chadman
02-02-2011, 01:49 AM
Aww, Geez, sorry Redundantman- I missed this post.

Take strength from your family as much as you give it to them- sharing at this time makes things easier. There is no 'right' way to grieve, just the way that works best for you. I sincerely hope you find that way as quickly as possible.

On Sunday, take some time for yourself, enjoy the game for what it is, cheer, relax. It's what I'm nearly certain your Dad would be doing. And if can help, get the family to join you.

My thoughts are with you.

Lonbull
02-02-2011, 02:01 AM
RM -

I'm sorry for your loss - I will certainly ask my family to give a toast before the game to family itself, and know that it is a toast in your (and your father's) honor.

Michael (aka Lonbull)

proudpittsburgher
02-02-2011, 09:46 AM
So sorry or your loss, redundantman. I'm not an emotional person, but I cried my eyes out for days after my dad passed away.

Tomlinator
02-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Sorry for your loss RM.

feltdizz
02-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Sorry for your loss.