PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey back to boot...

Mister Pittsburgh
01-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Gerry: Pouncey now in boot
Friday, 28 January 2011 10:10
Written by Gerry Dulac

Maurkice Pouncey showed up this morning at the Steelers offices wearing a boot on his injured left ankle, not the hard cast he had been wearing the past couple days.

That might lead some people to think the rookie center is progressing toward playing in the Super Bowl, and maybe he is. Certainly the Steelers are hoping he is.

But, medically speaking, it will be very difficult for him to play against the Packers, certainly at any level of efficiency, and the Steelers are proceeding with that mindset. They are also not fretting about the possibility.

Pouncey has more than just a high-ankle sprain, which is bad enough. He also has a broekn bone in his anle to complicate matters. Because it is the first time Pouncey has sustained a high-ankle sprain on his left leg, doctors and trainers will tell you first-time sprains of that nature usually take longer to heal.

While they do not want to lose a player of Pouncey’s ability in the biggest game of the year, the Steelers have been doing this all season – going back to Week 1 when they opened the season with Dennis Dixon at quarterback because Ben Roethlisberger’s replacement, Byron Leftwich, was injured. By Week 3, Charlie Batch was the starter, and yet the Steelers still went 3-1 and set the groundwork for what was to follow.

Doug Legursky played very well after Pouncey was injured on the opening series against the Jets. Batch told me the other day Legursky knows how to read defenses even better than Pouncey, which is saying a lot.I’m not telling you that Legursky is every bit as good as Pouncey or that the Steelers won’t miss their rookie Pro Bowler. I’m just telling you this isn’t the first time this season the Steelers have lost one of their top players.

That they’re still able to talk about the potential ramifications should tell you just how they’ve been able to cope with such annoyances.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... witterfeed (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/107751-gerry-pouncey-now-in-boot?utm_source=twitterfeed)

hawaiiansteel
01-29-2011, 03:57 AM
Steelers Notebook: Pouncey has 50-50 chance to play

Saturday, January 29, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201101/201101129steelers_500.jpg

Maurkice Pouncey showed up at the Steelers facility Friday wearing a protective boot on his injured left ankle, not the hard cast he had been wearing the past couple days.

Also, because the Steelers and Green Bay Packers were required to submit an official injury report for the first time for Super Bowl XLV, Pouncey was listed as questionable -- meaning he has a 50-50 chance to play.

The Steelers are holding out hope the rookie center can play against the Packers, even though the Post-Gazette reported Wednesday that Pouncey has a broken bone in his left ankle to accompany the high-ankle sprain he sustained in the AFC championship game.

Pouncey, defensive end Aaron Smith (triceps tendon) and safety Will Allen (sprained knee) were listed as questionable. Smith, who has not played since Week 6, has not participated in a practice since his injury and is not expected to play in the Super Bowl.

Allen, though, said he intends to play, no matter what.

"I'm playing," Allen said, emphatically. "No way I'll miss my first Super Bowl.

More injury updates

As usual, Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu practiced Friday for the first time this week. So did cornerback Bryant McFadden (abdominal/groin) and rookie wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (sprained toe). They are listed as probable.

Left tackle Jonathan Scott (ribs) did not practice again, though he is listed as probable.

Bunch o' blarney?

The government of Ireland wants to bring an NFL game to the county next season, and the Steelers would seem to be a natural because their owner, Dan Rooney, is the U.S. ambassador to Ireland.

But talk of the game is coming from Ireland, not the Steelers.

The game would be against the Arizona Cardinals and played in the same stadium where the Steelers and Chicago Bears played a preseason game in 1997. It would be in addition to the regular-season game the NFL plays annually in Wembley Stadium in London.

Don't book your travel plans yet.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11029/1121551-66.stm

Steeler Expat
01-29-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm sorry guys this kid just aint playing in the SB. If he does I'll come back here and eat my words with a side of broccoli.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Wouldn't it be something if he started and performed well? Freaking add to his impressive start. I will say this, if somehow Pouncey plays and does a good job, dude is offensive rookie of the year in my book.

hawaiiansteel
01-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Wouldn't it be something if he started and performed well? Freaking add to his impressive start. I will say this, if somehow Pouncey plays and does a good job, dude is offensive rookie of the year in my book.

I love Pouncey and what he's done for us this season also, but Sam Bradford most likely has that award wrapped up.

RuthlessBurgher
01-29-2011, 05:33 PM
This is the first I've heard of a possible Steelers-Cardinals game in Ireland. Arizona was going to be one of our longest road trips anyway (along with playing at San Francisco, Houston, K.C., Indy, and our division rivals). While a flight to Ireland is a bit farther than going to Arizona (roughly 3500 miles across the pond vs. roughly 2000 miles into the desert), this would mean that the Cards would have to fly 5500 miles instead of playing at home. I'll take that any day.

Ozey74
01-29-2011, 05:51 PM
This is a damn shame about Pouncey. Kid has done nothing but excell since joining the team as a rookie and too have to miss the Super Bowl!!

JTP53609
01-29-2011, 07:50 PM
This is the first I've heard of a possible Steelers-Cardinals game in Ireland. Arizona was going to be one of our longest road trips anyway (along with playing at San Francisco, Houston, K.C., Indy, and our division rivals). While a flight to Ireland is a bit farther than going to Arizona (roughly 3500 miles across the pond vs. roughly 2000 miles into the desert), this would mean that the Cards would have to fly 5500 miles instead of playing at home. I'll take that any day.

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT,
I know the home and away opponents and they cycle it goes on, but why are we home against the Seahawks and away with the Cardinals, in 2007, the last time we played the NFC West, we were home with the Seahawks and on the road with the Cardinals, so should it not be reversed???
Remember we lost to the Cards at ARZ and it was our first loss of the year, and then the next week we beat Seattle at home 21-0

SteelAbility
01-29-2011, 10:33 PM
I'm sorry guys this kid just aint playing in the SB. If he does I'll come back here and eat my words with a side of broccoli.

They tell me a little cheese sauce helps it go down a bit easier. :P

AkronSteel
01-29-2011, 11:11 PM

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT,
I know the home and away opponents and they cycle it goes on, but why are we home against the Seahawks and away with the Cardinals, in 2007, the last time we played the NFC West, we were home with the Seahawks and on the road with the Cardinals, so should it not be reversed???
Remember we lost to the Cards at ARZ and it was our first loss of the year, and then the next week we beat Seattle at home 21-0

I was wondering the same thing when I saw the opponents list come out. We have not played in Seattle since 2003 with Tommy Maddox!!! I actually was looking forward to a game up there next year!!! Oh Well!!!

steelz09
01-30-2011, 12:02 AM
So your telling me there's a chance

(Dumb and Dumber)