PDA

View Full Version : Wed before XLIII - Tomlin wakes with a start ...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-28-2011, 02:07 PM
From one of the several incredibly awesome shows on NFL Network last night about the Steelers, I think it was called something like, "The Road to XLIII", it describes "The REST of the Story" behind James Harrison's record breaking interception and TD runback in Superbowl XLIII. They had narration interviews with Troy, Coach Tomlin and Ben, one of the best things I've seen on TV ... :

Sounds like late in the last week before the Superbowl, Wed night/wee hours of Thurs AM Tomlin awoke with a start - and said to himself, "Even if we get an interception against the Cardinals, it's not going to be enough to win ...".

He began thinking about all the interceptions that had taken place that week in practices (remember, the Superbowl is only 4 days away), and how all the defensive players just sort of stood around afterwards.

Now here is the part that shows true inspiration/genius: He then got out of bed, went to the computer and made a single clip of all the interceptions in practice that week (and I think also of some during the regular season). Thursday AM he went to the team, showed them the clip and said - "We've got to turn into offensive blockers with each interception, just the turnover itself won't be enough to beat the Cardinals...".

So that Thursday, they ran drills on setting up pic return convoys.

4 days later, Harrison goes against what LeBeau tells him to do, he drops back instead of blitzing, he makes a pic, and the rest is history.

All this is per an awesome Troy interview. He pretty much said it is stuff like that that makes Tomlin a coach for the ages. Troy said (in typical self-deprecating style) - "I think if it was me, I would have just stayed in bed and gone back to sleep". :lol: :lol: :lol:

The only thing I would add to this is ...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NW Steeler
01-28-2011, 02:10 PM
That is "America's Game" on NFLN. It aired on the week before the '09 season started. There is one of those shows for all the SB winners, which means we have 6 episodes. Great show.

Oviedo
01-28-2011, 02:17 PM
From one of the several incredibly awesome shows on NFL Network last night about the Steelers, I think it was called something like, "The Road to XLIII", it describes "The REST of the Story" behind James Harrison's record breaking interception and TD runback in Superbowl XLIII. They had narration interviews with Troy, Coach Tomlin and Ben, one of the best things I've seen on TV ... :

Sounds like late in the last week before the Superbowl, Wed night/wee hours of Thurs AM Tomlin awoke with a start - and said to himself, "Even if we get an interception against the Cardinals, it's not going to be enough to win ...".

He began thinking about all the interceptions that had taken place that week in practices (remember, the Superbowl is only 4 days away), and how all the defensive players just sort of stood around afterwards.

Now here is the part that shows true inspiration/genius: He then got out of bed, went to the computer and made a single clip of all the interceptions in practice that week (and I think also of some during the regular season). Thursday AM he went to the team, showed them the clip and said - "We've got to turn into offensive blockers with each interception, just the turnover itself won't be enough to beat the Cardinals...".

So that Thursday, they ran drills on setting up pic return convoys.

4 days later, Harrison goes against what LeBeau tells him to do, he drops back instead of blitzing, he makes a pic, and the rest is history.

All this is per an awesome Troy interview. He pretty much said it is stuff like that that makes Tomlin a coach for the ages. Troy said (in typical self-deprecating style) - "I think if it was me, I would have just stayed in bed and gone back to sleep". :lol: :lol: :lol:

The only thing I would add to this is ...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rooney's made the right and a great decision and we have one of the best young coaches in football. IMO he will rival Chuck Noll as the best ever for the Steelers before he is done. I think he has already passed Cowher. Many will disagree but his succeess can't be denied.

Not bad for an "overpaid janitor"

NW Steeler
01-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Yeah, too bad Tomlin has such an affinity for grits. :roll: