PDA

View Full Version : Polian thinks Ben is elite, are some of you happy now?

Iron Shiek
01-28-2011, 01:51 PM
For the "we need more praise" folks out there, you should enjoy this one:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/28/bill-polian-roethlisberger-is-up-there-with-manning-and-brady/

Bill Polian: Roethlisberger is up there with Manning and Brady
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 28, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
roethlisberger

For the last decade, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady have been the generally accepted top two quarterbacks in football, with the only argument being which one of them was first and which one of them was second.

But the man who drafted Manning, Colts President Bill Polian, says there’s another quarterback who deserves to be in that mix.

“Bottom line, if you ask football people, they’re going to put Ben Roethlisberger up there with [Manning and Brady] almost unanimously,” Polian told Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times. “No one would leave him out. And others who have made the Pro Bowl, for example, wouldn’t even get consideration if you took a poll of all 32 general managers.”

Roethlisberger hasn’t had the statistics or the accolades of Manning or Brady, but it’s hard to dispute that he’s one of the league’s elite players. Polian, who doesn’t hand out praise lightly, sure thinks so.

Oviedo
01-28-2011, 02:07 PM
That's a real football guy talking reality. Good to hear him say it but don't need anyone to convince me.

Media types don't usually talk reality. I just shows how many boobs work for the television networks just because they use to be players

papillon
01-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Not at all, I wish teams, broadcasters, players and front office types would continue to underestimate Ben and the way he plays the game. The NFL hasn't realized that he's doing things his way rather than the way they believe it should be done. He'll keep winning and they'll keep telling him how bad he is at reading a defense, or under throws his deep ball, or can't pass in rhythm and I personally like the winning part.

Polian gets this :moon for exposing Ben as an elite quarterback. I like it when everyone complains about the way he plays and then has to say, "but he won the game".

Pappy

Crash
01-28-2011, 02:09 PM
I want equal treatment. When Peyton Manning throws 3 TDs and 7 picks and wins the only ring he has? Where's the criticism?

We win ugly and people rip us.

The Packers have won three of their last 4 games by a TD or less and they act like we don't belong on the field with them.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-28-2011, 02:12 PM
As much as I like Ben, I think Polian has it all wrong on this, to be honest, I don't think Ben deserves to be in the same conversation with and compared with Marcia* and Fetal Position Peyton.

He is clearly head and shoulders above those two guys ... HE is #1, they are battling it out for #2 and #3!!!

:tt1 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1

The Sodfather
01-28-2011, 02:12 PM
http://kristylovesherbuccos.mlblogs.com/crybaby.jpg

hawaiiansteel
01-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger makes the plays when it really matters

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2011-01/59070757.jpg

Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger may not be a fan favorite, but he knows how to win the big games.

The Steelers quarterback doesn't have the gaudy statistics of Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, but he's a win away from a third Super Bowl title.

By Sam Farmer
January 27, 2011

You could never root for him? That's understandable.

But if you think Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger is anything less than an elite NFL quarterback, you're wrong.

Roethlisberger might not have the gaudy statistics of New England's Tom Brady or Indianapolis' Peyton Manning — and, in fact, some of his numbers are cover-your-eyes bad — but there's no debating his most important statistic:

Save on daily L.A. Times deals powered by Groupon.

He wins.

Look at last Sunday's victory over the New York Jets in the AFC championship game. Roethlisberger completed 10 of 19 passes for 133 yards, no touchdowns and two interceptions. In terms of the box score, he was thoroughly outplayed by the Jets' Mark Sanchez, who completed 20 of 33 for 233 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions.

But what happened on the critical plays? On third-and-12, Roethlisberger kept a touchdown drive alive with a 12-yard run. Later, on third-and-four, he ran for five. And with two minutes to go, and the Steelers protecting a five-point lead, Roethlisberger completed a 14-yard pass to Antonio Brown to convert a third-and-six. Game over. Let the kneel downs begin.

It was a typical Roethlisberger game — he didn't make all the plays, but he made the ones that counted.

"There ought to be a stat for 'What did you do when you needed a pass completion to win the game,' " Hall of Fame coach John Madden said in a phone interview. "That's where Ben's stats would show up, when you make the play when you need to. A lot of guys get stats when they don't need them. Ben doesn't."

Think about Super Bowl XLIII, when Roethlisberger directed a do-or-die drive in the final minute, and, with 35 seconds to play, threw a pass where only Santonio Holmes could reach it. Touchdown. Game over.

If that drive were directed by Brady or Manning, it would go down as one of the greatest in Super Bowl history. It would have a nickname the way other historic moments do. As it was, more people talked about the feet of Holmes than the touch of Roethlisberger, and it was the receiver who was named the game's most valuable player.

That's not to say Roethlisberger doesn't catch more than his share of breaks. The Steelers kept him despite the accusations of sexual assault that resulted in his suspension. Many fans are ambivalent about him, cheering the player but wanting nothing to do with the person.

Strictly as a player, however, Roethlisberger hasn't gotten the respect he deserves. There are many theories for that. He's a lumbering (but effective) runner. He frequently holds on to the ball too long. He plays for a franchise traditionally known for its defense and power-running game.

"Bottom line, if you ask football people, they're going to put Ben Roethlisberger up there with [Manning and Brady] almost unanimously," said Bill Polian, Colts president. "No one would leave him out. And others who have made the Pro Bowl, for example, wouldn't even get consideration if you took a poll of all 32 general managers."

Roethlisberger has two Super Bowl rings, and there will always be people who say he didn't deserve the first one. He had a lousy game in Super Bowl XL against Seattle, finishing with a 22.6 rating, the worst for a winning Super Bowl quarterback.

What a lot of people forget, though, are the key plays Roethlisberger made along the way to put the Steelers in that position.

Can the Steelers win without him? Well, they were 3-1 when he was suspended at the start of the season. Then again, the Patriots won 11 games in 2008 without an injured Brady.

That's not to suggest Roethlisberger outplayed Brady this season. No quarterback did. But there's one statistic both Brady and Manning would happily swap with the Pittsburgh quarterback.

Roethlisberger is 10-2 in postseason games, a .833 win percentage. Brady is 14-5 (.737), and Manning is 9-10 (.474).

So, as you watch the Steelers make a run at Super Bowl victory No. 7, know that they wouldn't be in this position without the player who wears the same number.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-far ... 798.column (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-farmer-nfl-20110128-9,0,3454798.column)

Irongut
01-28-2011, 03:27 PM
I want equal treatment. When Peyton Manning throws 3 TDs and 7 picks and wins the only ring he has? Where's the criticism?

The Packers have won three of their last 4 games by a TD or less and they act like we don't belong on the field with them.

Well, what you want and how you view things is quite different from the mass.

Your criteria changes daily on how to do things, depending on which agenda you are serving, Ben propping or Steeler hating.

That said, Peyton is a media darling, widely respected and regarded as a top 2 QB in the league. Without him, his team is a 4 win team.

He also just took over the top marketing athlete position from Tiger.

You should be happy that Ben is getting recognition, not hating everything else in the world. Ben will never be the media darling Peyton is now. Those are just the facts. You may not like them but you should acknowledge them. Ben placed himself in the positions and like it or not, he will have to reap the issues and character questions that come with the two accusations and the multiple attitude stories.

You yourself ripped Cutler for perceived items, proving you have a floating criteria.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Big Ben rules. F the doubters. :nono

I will take a one point victory next Sunday, as I am sure will all of Steelers Nation, but I truly hope deep down that this is a game where Ben throws for 500 yards on the biggest stage and the Steelers so thoroughly trounce Green Bay that any doubter out there could be laughed out of any dispute. Ben deserves it. I think with 3 superbowls, even if his career was cut short due to his playing style, he would have a dang good shot at the HOF. Same with Hines.

ScoreKeeper
01-28-2011, 03:49 PM

Your criteria changes daily on how to do things, depending on which agenda you are serving, Ben propping or Steeler hating.

That said, Peyton is a media darling, widely respected and regarded as a top 2 QB in the league. Without him, his team is a 4 win team.

You should be happy that Ben is getting recognition, not hating everything else in the world. Ben will never be the media darling Peyton is now. Those are just the facts. You may not like them but you should acknowledge them. Ben placed himself in the positions and like it or not, he will have to reap the issues and character questions that come with the two accusations and the multiple attitude stories.

You yourself ripped Cutler for perceived items, proving you have a floating criteria.
Didn't your boy Manning pay off a student manager because he sexually assulted her?

Irongut
01-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Didn't your boy Manning pay off a student manager because he sexually assulted her?
1. He's not my boy.
2. I have no idea if he paid her or not.
3. It doesn't matter as he's a media darling today. Nobody outside of some insecure Steelers fans care what Manning or Sanchez did in college.
4. If either one of them had 2 sexual allegations in the next year, their reputation would be altered forever, like Ben's has been.

ScoreKeeper
01-28-2011, 03:56 PM
1. He's not my boy.
3. It doesn't matter as he's a media darling today. Nobody outside of some insecure Steelers fans care what Manning or Sanchez did in college.
4. If either one of them had 2 sexual allegations in the next year, their reputation would be altered forever, like Ben's has been.
In other words, you will ignore anything that puts your boy Manning in a bad light and just continue to rag on Ben.

Got it.

The others on here are right. You are a troll.

feltdizz
01-28-2011, 03:58 PM
1. He's not my boy.

He tea bagged a female trainer in the locker room at UT.

People need to realize time heals all wounds. Ben is already turning the corner and the defenders are just as much to blame as the accusers.

It's over... and bringing up other players past problems or pointing out recent conduct of other players and comparing it to Ben doesn't help his situation.

ScoreKeeper
01-28-2011, 04:01 PM
1. He's not my boy.

People need to realize time heals all wounds. Ben is already turning the corner and the defenders are just as much to blame as the accusers.

It's over... and bringing up other players past problems or pointing out recent conduct of other players and comparing it to Ben doesn't help his situation.
It does when it shows the hypocrisy of some.

My take is, if you down one, then down those with the same resume.

feltdizz
01-28-2011, 04:01 PM
1. He's not my boy.
In other words, you will ignore anything that puts your boy Manning in a bad light and just continue to rag on Ben.

Got it.

wrong... digging up college dirt is pathetic. It received all the attention it deserved at the time. Ben's situation received a ton of attention and is on the downside.

It's moronic to expect people to hold Manning or Sanchez or even Ben over the fire for college incidents.

Irongut
01-28-2011, 04:02 PM
1. He's not my boy.

Got it.

No, I'm saying the mass population doesn't care. Now, if he gets accused of rape twice in the next year, his reputation will suffer, as has Ben's.

Most of the population, especially those who went to college, know things happen in college with young immature people. It's a little different when you're a mid to late 20's professional getting caught in embarrasing, if not illegal, situations while acting like a college kid.

Irongut
01-28-2011, 04:04 PM
1. He's not my boy.

Completely agree. Ben was never likely to be as marketable as Peyton anyway. He assured that with the past off-season's situations. It doesn't bother me that he's not making marketing dollars. None of them go into my pocket.

ScoreKeeper
01-28-2011, 04:05 PM
1. He's not my boy.

Got it.

wrong... digging up college dirt is pathetic. It received all the attention it deserved at the time. Ben's situation received a ton of attention and is on the downside.

It's moronic to expect people to hold Manning or Sanchez or even Ben over the fire for college incidents.
Your train of thought just makes no sense. Why must one suffer the wrath of the media over something they were never even charged with over others who have the same resume?

Bash one, bash them all. Or just admit you're a hypocrite and be done with it.

Much like I am done with this topic.

feltdizz
01-28-2011, 04:05 PM
1. He's not my boy.

That is stupid....

Pretty much you are saying Ben can never rise again because of his allegations.

I tend to think the exact opposite. People fall... and they get back up. Time heals all wounds....

Why should Ben and all the others who fell short get the eternal label of "accused" sexual assaulter or criminal?

Irongut
01-28-2011, 04:06 PM

The only hypocrisy is what you are showing when you compare two rape/sexual assault allegations as an adult to drunken college sex and Mannings goof ball college tea bag.

The situations are not even remotely the same.

Irongut
01-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Your train of thought just makes no sense. Why must one suffer the wrath of the media over something they were never even charged with over others who have the same resume?

It's just a fact you can get away with much more stupid crap in college and being immature than you can as a mid to late 20's and having a bodyguard watch the door and hallway why you try to get/take a piece from an incoherant 20 year old you've been feeding drinks.

If Peyton did something as stupid today after just being accused of similar within the last year, he'd get the same treatment.

ScoreKeeper
01-28-2011, 04:11 PM

The only hypocrisy is what you are showing when you compare two rape/sexual assault allegations as an adult to drunken college sex and Mannings goof ball college tea bag.

OK, I have to ansew this abortion of a thought process.

By you're train of thought, which has clearly derailed the tracks, Manning assulting a young lady in college is okay because, hey, he's just a college goof. Then by that line of thought, or lak there-of, a 17 year old who date rapes his 15 yeard old prom date is fine and dandy because hey, they are just goofy high school kids.

Like others have said and I agree with; you are a troll. And I'll add hypocrite.

feltdizz
01-28-2011, 04:12 PM
1. He's not my boy.

Got it.

sure you are.. LOL.

Peyton was bashed back when it happened. Should a person be bashed forever? No. A reasonable person knows a player will get negative attention for a while and then it fades if they turn the corner.

Irongut
01-28-2011, 04:15 PM
OK, I have to ansew this abortion of a thought process.

By you're train of thought, which has clearly derailed the tracks, Manning assulting a young lady in college is okay because, hey, he's just a college goof. Then by that line of thought, or lak there-of, a 17 year old who date rapes his 15 yeard old prom date is fine and dandy because hey, they are just goofy high school kids.

Like others have said and I agree with; you are a troll. And I'll add hypocrite.
1. I've never said what Manning did was okay. I said it happened in college, over a decade ago, and college is a place where immaturity reigns.

2. I'm not going to even answer the second part of that sentence. It's moronic.

3. Think what you wish. Judging by your responses and lack of any real grasp of reality, I highly doubt you even know the definition of troll or hypocrite.

PS, By "you're" train of thought? "Your" may work. That's 5th grade english class.

Irongut
01-28-2011, 04:16 PM
sure you are.. LOL.

Peyton was bashed back when it happened. Should a person be bashed forever? No. A reasonable person knows a player will get negative attention for a while and then it fades if they turn the corner.

I don't think Scorekeeper and reality are friends.

hawaiiansteel
01-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Posted 11/4/2003

Trainer has backers in suit against Mannings

By Mel Antonen, USA TODAY

In a book he authored with his father in 2000, Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning wrote: "If nothing else in life, I want to be true to the things I believe in, and quite simply, to what I'm all about. I know I'd better, because it seems whenever I take a false step or two I feel the consequences. Like with the 'mooning' incident that made such a stir in Knoxville before my junior year" at the University of Tennessee.

According to a judge in Florida, Manning's next few paragraphs of Manning: A Father, His Sons, and a Football Legacy may literally constitute a false step. And while the legal consequences may end up being for a jury to decide, the public relations consequences may be felt quickly by Manning and his alma mater.

Manning and his father, as well as their ghost author, John Underwood, and publisher, HarperCollins, were sued for defamation in May 2002 by Jamie Ann Naughright, a former Tennessee assistant trainer. She claims that Manning's characterization of her in the book as having a "vulgar mouth" is false and cost her a subsequent job. In pursuing that claim, she has challenged Manning's version of what he called "the 'mooning' incident," alleging a more offensive act occurred. She also has raised questions about the conduct of Tennessee's associate head trainer at the time, who has said he was the first to term the incident a "mooning."

Court documents raise questions about Manning's veracity. In denying Manning's request for dismissal, Polk County Circuit Judge Harvey A. Kornstein wrote, in part: "Even if the plaintiff is a public figure, the evidence of record contains sufficient evidence to satisfy the court that a genuine issue of material fact exists that would allow a jury to find, by clear and convincing evidence, the existence of actual malice of the part of the defendants. ...

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/_photos/2003-11-03-peytons-girl.jpg

University of Tenn.
Naughright

"Specifically, there is evidence of record, substantial enough to suggest that the defendants knew that the passages in question were false, or acted in reckless disregard of their falsity. There is evidence of record to suggest that there were obvious reasons to doubt the veracity of Peyton Manning's account of the incident in question. The court further finds that there is sufficient evidence to permit the conclusion that the defendants entertained serious doubts as to the truth of the passages in this case."

The defendants' New York-based lawyer, Slade Metcalf, declined to comment on the ruling or whether they will appeal. Naughright's lawyer, Robert Puterbaugh of Lakeland, Fla., also declined to comment.

Revered figure

Manning, 27, is a son of Archie Manning, a fabled quarterback during his career at the University of Mississippi. Archie Manning played 14 NFL seasons, mostly for the New Orleans Saints, and passed for 23,911 career yards.

Peyton Manning is one of the most revered college athletes in Tennessee history and on many levels has continued to be cited as an example of what is right in college sports. He stayed at Tennessee for a full four seasons when he could have left early for the NFL. He holds a list of the Volunteers career passing records and is their leader in total offense with 11,020 yards. He was an academic All-American and had a school-record 89 touchdown passes. Hundreds of children of both sexes statewide have been named Peyton. And there's a street near the Vols' Neyland Stadium named for Manning, Peyton Manning Pass.

Drafted as the first overall pick by the Colts in 1998, he was an all-pro in three of his first five seasons and has become one of the NFL's most marketable and marketed players. He has endorsements with, among others, DirecTV, which features him in its ads for its NFL satellite TV package, and Gatorade. This season he has led the Colts to a 7-1 record, their best start since 1977.

Naughright, from New Jersey, was the first member of her family to attend college. She enrolled at Tennessee in 1986. She did a work-study program in the intramural recreation department and graduated with a degree in exercise physiology in 1991. In 1992 she earned a master's degree in health education and a promotion from Tennessee. And in 1996 she received a doctorate in health education, also from Tennessee.

She worked for the Lady Vols athletic teams, and in 1989 she was transferred to men's athletics (Tennessee maintains separate men's and women's athletic departments), where she became the first female associate trainer in Tennessee's history.

At the time of the 1996 incident, she was known by her married name, Jamie Whited.

Conflicting versions

Manning claimed in his book that, while in the training room, in response to a track athlete who made a remark, Manning dropped his shorts to moon the athlete. "I did it thinking the trainer wasn't where she would see. ... Even when she did, it seemed like something she'd have laughed at, considering the environment, or shrugged off as harmless. Crude maybe, but harmless."

Naughright and her lawyer provided a different version of events. In a court filing, her lawyer wrote that she was examining Manning to see why Manning was having pain in one of his feet and was crouched behind him when "entirely unprovoked, Peyton Manning decided to pull down his shorts and sit on Dr. Naughright's head and face."

As Naughright described it in a deposition entered into the court record: "It was the gluteus maximus, the rectum, the testicles and the area in between the testicles. And all that was on my face when I pushed him up. ... To get leverage, I took my head out to push him up and off."

The court record includes a letter to Manning from former Tennessee cross country runner Malcolm Saxon, who Manning said was the intended target of the mooning. Written in December 2002, the letter reads, in part: "Bro, you have tons of class, but you have shown no mercy or grace to this lady who was on her knees seeing if you had a stress fracture. ...

"She was minding her own business when your book came out. Peyton, the way I see it, at this point, you are going to take a hit either way, if you settle out of court or if it goes to court. You might as well maintain some dignity and admit to what happened. ... Your celebrity doesn't mean you can treat folks that way. ... Do the right thing here."

In a court filing, Naughright's lawyer says his client reported the incident within hours to the Sexual Assault Crisis Center in Knoxville.

According to a filing by Naughright's lawyer, Manning at first didn't call the incident a "mooning." The lawyer wrote that Manning "denied" that anything had occurred between him and Naughright. An associate trainer, Mike Rollo, was never a witness to the incident, but he got involved because he tried to intervene to help Manning come up with a story.

In a deposition cited in the filing, Rollo was asked if Naughright had ever referred to the incident as mooning. "No, unfortunately, I think that tagging is with me," Rollo answered.

The next question: "In other words, you were the first person to characterize it as a mooning, is that correct?"

"Unfortunately."

Reached by telephone Monday, Rollo referred questions to Tennessee's lawyers, who didn't return telephone calls Monday.

In court documents, Naughright's lawyer wrote that after the incident with Manning, Manning taunted her by re-enacting his conduct on two occasions. The document also said that Manning called her a "bitch" during a drug test, when he snatched a pen, which he was supposed to use to sign and date the specimen, and threw it across the room.

Little support

Manning wrote in his book that he thought Naughright had a "vulgar mouth." In a deposition entered into the court record, Manning said he could relate one incident when he remembered an exact time and place that Naughright spoke words that were "vulgar." While four Tennessee athletes were on a trip to Charlottesville, Va., for a conference on drug education, he said Naughright asked him to accompany the athletes, whom she called "mother(expletive)."

None of the athletes on the trip supported Manning's story, according to court filings by Naughright's lawyer. In an affidavit, Geno Devane, now a medical student in Miami, said that at no time during the weekend did he hear those words. "I can assure you that I would remember," he said. "I would have been very upset if that had occurred. That type of language would have been completely out of character because she was always very professional around me and other student-athletes."

Eric Lane, then a teammate of Manning's, said that he couldn't recall Naughright using those words.

Tying it together

Naughright agreed in August 1997 to leave Tennessee as part of a settlement related in part to the 1996 incident.

In the fall of 1998, she accepted a job at Florida Southern College, a United Methodist liberal arts school in Lakeland, Fla.

Her first job there paid her $45,000, according to one of her court filings. In two years her work was good enough to increase her salary to $63,022, the filing said.

She was the program director of the Athletic Training Educational Program and an assistant professor.

According to the filing, Naughright was a highly respected program director, and her supervisor, Kathleen Benn, recommended Naughright for an "exemplary" salary increase, the highest increase in the school's promotional system.

In spring 2001 Benn wrote in Naughright's evaluation: "I know that if I need anything done, Jamie will not only do what I ask but will go above and beyond my request to enhance the physical education program."

Benn's evaluation was written a few weeks before Naughright returned from South Africa — where she led a group of students to study emergency medical treatments — and found an envelope addressed to "Dr. Vulgar Mouth Whited." The envelope contained excerpts from Manning's book.

According to court documents, Benn had opened and read the letter and then resealed it.

A semester later, according to Naughright's filing, her evaluations went from "outstanding, excellent and asset to our campus" to describing her as "demanding, hostile and vindictive."

And Naughright says in court documents that the letter addressed to "Dr. Vulgar Mouth Whited," was the "turning point" that led to Florida Southern demoting her and removing her as the program director.

The lawsuit said that copies of the book that pertained to Naughright were distributed around campus and at the school's athletic events.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... suit_x.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/colts/2003-11-04-manning-suit_x.htm)

Crash
01-28-2011, 04:30 PM

Yep. She reported it to the school. His friends came up with the "mooning story" and the school paid her off to go away.

Then years later in their book the Manning's defamed her and cost her a job. She then sued him/them. Forced witnesses to the incident to give depositions and admit the "mooning" never happened. The Manning's then paid her off to drop her suit.

Irongut
01-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Manning claimed in his book that, while in the training room, in response to a track athlete who made a remark, Manning dropped his shorts to moon the athlete. "I did it thinking the trainer wasn't where she would see. ... Even when she did, it seemed like something she'd have laughed at, considering the environment, or shrugged off as harmless. Crude maybe, but harmless."

Naughright and her lawyer provided a different version of events. In a court filing, her lawyer wrote that she was examining Manning to see why Manning was having pain in one of his feet and was crouched behind him when "entirely unprovoked, Peyton Manning decided to pull down his shorts and sit on Dr. Naughright's head and face."

Gee, which story sounds more logical?

Crash
01-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Peyton was bashed back when it happened.

Show us.

hawaiiansteel
01-28-2011, 04:34 PM
By you're train of thought, which has clearly derailed the tracks, Manning assulting a young lady in college is okay

Peyton never sexually assaulted a young lady in college, she charged him with sexual harassment...a big difference.

ScoreKeeper
01-28-2011, 04:43 PM

Gee, which story sounds more logical?
Read:

The court record includes a letter to Manning from former Tennessee cross country runner Malcolm Saxon, who Manning said was the intended target of the mooning. Written in December 2002, the letter reads, in part: "Bro, you have tons of class, but you have shown no mercy or grace to this lady who was on her knees seeing if you had a stress fracture. ...

Crash
01-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Yep. They covered it up.

ScoreKeeper
01-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Yeah, and I am done with him. It's obvious he's nothing more than a troll trying to bring others down to his level.

Iron Shiek
01-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Completely agree. Ben was never likely to be as marketable as Peyton anyway. He assured that with the past off-season's situations. It doesn't bother me that he's not making marketing dollars. None of them go into my pocket.

Hmmm, I think he assured his "un-marketability" when he did that terrible American Idol commercial and was singing. That sealed it right there.

RuthlessBurgher
01-28-2011, 05:31 PM

Hmmm, I think he assured his "un-marketability" when he did that terrible American Idol commercial and was singing. That sealed it right there.

What about the absysmal "Hello? TV Land?" Fathead commercial? Brutal.

feltdizz
01-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Yep. They covered it up.

How did they cover it up if we are talking about it? To make matters worse Peyton brought it back up AGAIN in a book. How the effe is that covering it up?

3 things stand out:

1. This happened in COLLEGE!!! When the story broke it was talked about in the SEC region for a while.... Peyton took a hit, the University took a hit and the media pounded them for a few weeks.

2. This happened in COLLEGE!!!! What does any of this have to do with Goodell and the current NFL media bonanza? The NFL is the highest rated TV show. College ratings pale in comparison so why the hell would anyone with common sense expect any player in todays NFL to get bad publicity for something that happened 10+ years ago?

3. THIS HAPPENED IN COLLEGE!!! Who cares about college? This is the NFL.

Crash
01-28-2011, 06:18 PM
How did they cover it up if we are talking about it?

They covered it up when it occurred you dunce. To the point that for almost 10 years people thought he simply mooned her.

feltdizz
01-28-2011, 06:28 PM
How did they cover it up if we are talking about it?

They covered it up when it occurred you dunce. To the point that for almost 10 years people thought he simply mooned her.

dude... I went to UT and trust me.... it wasn't covered up. You just didn't give a sh!t about Peyton when he was at Tennessee.

It was all over the news. But what you fail to realize is a tea bag at an SEC school doesn't make the ABC, CBS and NBC nightly news.

Crash
01-28-2011, 07:22 PM
It was all over the news.

And yet, I cannot find a simple article from when it supposedly occurred.

Scarletfire1970
01-28-2011, 08:42 PM

Wonder why the media still loves Kobe? Fact is they didn't recognize Ben's accomplishments before these accusations.

SteelAbility
01-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Yes, we all know that two allegations within one year constitutes definitive, irrefutable, beyond-a-reasonable doubt proof. If the second allegation comes on day 366, the timer resets and the second accusation loses its umph. :roll:

Some people don't understand due process or even why it was instituted. You see, there was a day (before the United States was even a flicker in anyone's imagination) when someone would accuse you of something, ANYTHING, with another "corroborating" witness and the next thing you knew was you were being dragged to the center of town and beheaded. It was a day when the true "geniuses" were ruling society. :roll:

Yet others don't understand the concept of burden of proof. It's really very simple. Allegations are EASY. Proof is DIFFICULT. Those who jump on allegations are taking the EASY (and thoughtless) way out. Those were the same idiots just egging to behead somebody. Yes, they took it further. They encouraged others to allege so they could get out their swords and feel powerful and righteous.

These same idiots can't conceive of even ONE reasonable scenario by which their conclusions break down. Here's a reasonable scenario ...

1. Ben has $$$$$$ signs on his chest and target on his back
2. Ben has a pending case involving sexual assault allegations (one, which, by the way has been proven to be a sham. Nonetheless public sentiment is not good at this point).
3. A few college girls are looking for a payday
4. They follow Ben and his entourage from bar to bar looking for a chance.
5. One of them, with a DTF tee-shirt on, eventually talks to Ben and suggests that sex in the bathroom would be great. She even suggests that "I'll resist, but you go right ahead. It'll be like an Alpha Male Lion taking his lioness. It'll be hot and sexy. Hell I'd even like to be cornered a bit. Makes me feel pursued. I get hot and wet that way."
6. Ben follows through with it. They have sex in the bathroom and it's totally consensual.
7. Now she has him by b@lls. It's he-said/she-said. The difference between them, however, is that Ben has 4 years remaining on a $100M contract. That's, oh, roughly, $57M on the line for Ben.
8. Now, given the above, Ben is roughly 50/50 as far as getting a career-ending conviction, even though he is completely innocent. Nice odds, huh? Isn't it easier to pay a few $100K and make this go away. This is, in fact, the crux of the whole matter. To put these very thoughts through his head and motivate a payoff, even though he is completely innocent.
9. This same girl, in the released interview tapes that were recorded the day after the ALLEGED incident, doesn't cry ONCE. She doesn't whimper ONCE. There is no hint of anger or shame in her "testimony."

But I guess the above is completely ruled out because "two allegations in a year constitutes definitive proof." The old saying, "where there's smoke there's fire" is actually wrong. It's the other way around. Where there's fire, there's smoke. So, if you see smoke, make d@mn sure it's the right kind of smoke before you cry "Fire!" and unjustly ruin someone's life.

feltdizz
01-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Wonder why the media still loves Kobe? Fact is they didn't recognize Ben's accomplishments before these accusations.

If Ben didn't have the accomplishments it wouldn't make the 6 o clock news!

Kobe's situation was 8 YEARS ago. Ben's situation was 8 months ago. I quiet off season does wonders for an athlete's image.

Irongut
01-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Yeah, and I am done with him. It's obvious he's nothing more than a troll trying to bring others down to his level.
You think calling me a troll bothers me? I'm much more a fan of this team than you likely ever have been. Keep saying it if it makes you feel better.

Irongut
01-28-2011, 10:09 PM
It was all over the news.

And yet, I cannot find a simple article from when it supposedly occurred.
Because most don't care any longer. Only the insecure fans of Ben, not the Steelers, want to speak about it today and make it like it has anything to do with Ben.

Irongut
01-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Kobe lost tons of endorsements and money and still doesn't have them back, just like Ben will never get them back.

Irongut
01-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Yes, we all know that two allegations within one year constitutes definitive, irrefutable, beyond-a-reasonable doubt proof. If the second allegation comes on day 366, the timer resets and the second accusation loses its umph. :roll:
Has nothing to do with proof. Has to do with public perception. If you're looking to market a product and have a spokeman for that product, are you going to choose Ben or Peyton? Facts prove it.

SteelAbility
01-28-2011, 11:43 PM
There isn't one sensible person on this board who can't see through your smokescreens.

Irongut
01-29-2011, 01:20 AM
There isn't one sensible person on this board who can't see through your smokescreens.
What smokescreens? The facts you want so bad to ignore? Peyton is leaps and bounds more marketable than Ben. He was just shown to be the top marketable athlete. Ben didn't even make the list to my knowledge. You may have your opinion but so does America. You may not like it but it's fact.

skyhawk
01-29-2011, 02:09 AM
http://kristylovesherbuccos.mlblogs.com/crybaby.jpg

Nice. A Seahawks fan.

Flasteel
01-29-2011, 10:26 AM
What smokescreens? The facts you want so bad to ignore? Peyton is leaps and bounds more marketable than Ben. He was just shown to be the top marketable athlete. Ben didn't even make the list to my knowledge. You may have your opinion but so does America. You may not like it but it's fact.

The smokescreens are the little continuous pot-shots you take at Ben. Whether it's his on-field play or this case, his marketability, you are constantly there to knock the guy down a few pegs. Your posts center on 3 things. Negative comments concerning Roethlisberger, arguing with Crash, or defending yourself (usually in a childish fashion) from other posters who call you out. Maybe you have posted some stuff that falls outside of those parameters, but I can't recall seeing it.

You're entitled to your opinions 43, but I don't think you set yourself up very well to be taken seriously in this forum.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-29-2011, 03:16 PM

The strange thing is that you seem to consider sexual assault allegations the same as sexual assault. The two could not be further apart.

Two sexual assaults is infinitely worse than one sexual assault in college - and would deserve jail time.

Two sexual assault allegations that did not even warrant police charges is far less severe than an actual sexual assault in college.

hawaiiansteel
01-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Ben Roethlisberger Is Elite and One of the Best Quarterbacks of All Time

By mad chad (Correspondent) on January 29, 2011

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/123/421/108481194_crop_340x234.jpg?1296313948

I'm beginning to believe that fantasy football is starting to destroy the perception of how players should be judged.

Apparently, to be an "elite" QB in the NFL today, all you have to do is throw for 4,000 yards. Even if your team doesn't make the playoffs, you're still elite because you're asked to throw the ball a lot.

With Ben Roethlsberger going for his third Super Bowl Title next week, there is also a lot of talk about whether or not he deserves to be mentioned as an elite quarterback.

Most of Roethlsberger's detractors say that he only wins because of his defense and running game.

That's true in small doses, but he is certainly a big reason why the Steelers will be competing for their third Super Bowl in six years in two Sundays.

Since Roethlsberger has been the starting quarterback for the Steelers, he's been a winner; more than that, he's been clutch in big games and in big moments.

The dictionary defines clutch as "tending to be successful in tense or critical situations."

That's a perfect definition and defines Big Ben perfectly, as well.

So far in the playoffs, Roethlsberger has received some help from the defense as they forced a couple of turnovers; with that being said, Ben and the offense did their job, took advantage, and turned those turnovers into two touchdowns.

Against the Ravens, he led the Steelers on an 11-play, 65-yard touchdown drive that eventually won the game.

Making that even more impressive, is the poise that Ben possesses in these kinds of moments.

The drive had come to a halt as the Steelers stared at an impossible 3rd-and-19. Ben decided to change the play call, drop back and toss a 54-yard bomb to rookie receiver Antonio Brown.

The throw was perfect and almost went for a touchdown, but Brown's momentum carried him out of bounds.

A few plays later, Rashard Mendenhall carried the ball into the end zone for the game-winning touchdown.

Against the Jets in the AFC Championship game, Roethlsberger did not play great, but he still made some clutch plays and helped his team win.

He completed two passes on third downs late in the game, clinching the victory. He wasn't throwing the ball well, so he used his feet, running for three first downs and a touchdown.

For me and fellow Big Ben and Steelers fans, it's nothing new and certainly isn't surprising—Ben has always embraced these moments since he's been a Steeler.

He has the most fourth quarter game-winning drives and fourth quarter comebacks since he's been in the league.

Roethlsberger has a regular season record of 60-26, but perhaps most impressively, he is now 10-2 as a starter in the playoffs.

He engineered possibly the most dramatic and great Super Bowl drive and game-winning touchdown pass in history, and in total has two Super Bowl rings and four AFC Championship appearances in just seven years.

At some point, I just have to throw my hands up in the air and say there's an anti-Roethlisberger bias.

I know some people don't like the guy and there's a perception that he's not a "good" guy, but as far as being a quarterback and player goes, he's special.

Yes, he has been blessed with a good supporting cast—he's been blessed by being drafted to a franchise that is committed to winning.

That being said, how many Super Bowls did the Steelers win after Terry Bradshaw retired and before Ben become the quarterback?

The Steelers had championship-caliber teams in the 90's and in the the early 2000's, yet they never had a championship-caliber quarterback.

Kordell Stewart threw three interceptions in two home AFC Championship games. Neil O'Donnell almost single-handedly lost Super Bowl XXX.

What if the Steelers had Roethlsberger on some of those teams?

Yes, Roethlsberger was drafted to a good team and to a good franchise, but the Steelers were just 6-10 the year before Ben got here.

He rejuvenated the Steelers, going 15-0 in the regular season in his rookie year. He made big plays and gave the team a new found energy.

People have made a big deal that the Steelers went 3-1 this year without Roethlsberger, yet the Patriots went 11-5 without Brady two years ago. Again, there's a double standard when it comes to Ben.

What separates Roethlsberger from other quarterbacks is something that you can't teach. His physical and mental toughness is what makes him special. Ben can have a miserable first half and find a way to prevail in the end.

What I don't understand is why people fail to mention Roethlsberger with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Is it because of his stats?

Do these people not realize that Ben is the eighth-highest rated passer in NFL history? Did Ben not go 9-6 last year while throwing for over 4,300 yards, with 26 touchdowns and a QB rating over 100?

I hear a lot of people say that it's the team, not Roethlsberger. I hear people say that if you put Peyton on the Steelers, he would have multiple Super Bowls as well. That's ridiculous.

Manning is a choke artist.

He has had a top-10 defense four different times in his career (2005, 2007, 2008, 2009), including the best defense in the NFL in 2007. He's also played with more Pro Bowlers than Big Ben.

If you say to me, "Give Peyton Manning the Steelers defense," I'll say OK, let Roethlsberger throw to Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark and Marvin Harrison with Edgerrin James in the backfield in a dome with a perfect climate.

If you want Manning to have Roethlsberger's defense, then he has to play outside in Pittsburgh, behind Ben's offensive line, with Roethlsberger's receivers.

Are these same people suggesting that Tom Brady has never benefitted from good defenses? The Patriots have had a top-10 defense in eight of the last 10 seasons, including the best scoring defense twice.

Now Aaron Rodgers is considered an elite QB. That's fine but his defense was ranked second in the NFL this year in scoring defense.

Roethlsberger got killed for winning the AFC Championship with no TD passes and two picks, and a 35 QB rating. Yet Rodgers also won the NFC Championship with zero TD and two picks.

Can someone say double standard?

Aside from having the eighth-best quarterback rating of all time, Ben has the fourth-best yards-per-attempt in NFL history.

My opinion is that fantasy football geeks and stat junkies get mad because they don't always have a way of understanding how Ben always seems to find a way to get a victory.

It's because he's a natural winner. He has "it." "IT" can't be explained but Ben has it.

If Roethlsberger leads the Steelers to another Super Bowl this year, it will give him three in his first seven seasons, before he even turns 30.

Then you have to talk about him being an all-time great. Then you have to put him in with Brady and Manning regardless of stats or what the "experts" might think.

All I know is that despite all the stats and arguing, one thing is for sure—Roethlsberger is clutch.

When his career is over, Roethlsberger may end up being the best clutch quarterback of his generation and maybe even of all-time.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5892 ... f-all-time (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/589245-ben-roethlisberger-is-elite-and-one-of-the-best-quarterbacks-of-all-time)

Crash
01-29-2011, 08:52 PM

He has had a top-10 defense four different times in his career (2005, 2007, 2008, 2009), including the best defense in the NFL in 2007. He's also played with more Pro Bowlers than Big Ben.

So Manning has had four top 10 defense's since we drafted Ben yet his ball lickers claim that he doesn't have a defense?

How is that possible?

skyhawk
01-29-2011, 09:24 PM

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/123/421/108481194_crop_340x234.jpg?1296313948

I'm beginning to believe that fantasy football is starting to destroy the perception of how players should be judged.

Apparently, to be an "elite" QB in the NFL today, all you have to do is throw for 4,000 yards. Even if your team doesn't make the playoffs, you're still elite because you're asked to throw the ball a lot.

With Ben Roethlsberger going for his third Super Bowl Title next week, there is also a lot of talk about whether or not he deserves to be mentioned as an elite quarterback.

Most of Roethlsberger's detractors say that he only wins because of his defense and running game.

That's true in small doses, but he is certainly a big reason why the Steelers will be competing for their third Super Bowl in six years in two Sundays.

Since Roethlsberger has been the starting quarterback for the Steelers, he's been a winner; more than that, he's been clutch in big games and in big moments.

The dictionary defines clutch as "tending to be successful in tense or critical situations."

So far in the playoffs, Roethlsberger has received some help from the defense as they forced a couple of turnovers; with that being said, Ben and the offense did their job, took advantage, and turned those turnovers into two touchdowns.

Against the Ravens, he led the Steelers on an 11-play, 65-yard touchdown drive that eventually won the game.

Making that even more impressive, is the poise that Ben possesses in these kinds of moments.

The drive had come to a halt as the Steelers stared at an impossible 3rd-and-19. Ben decided to change the play call, drop back and toss a 54-yard bomb to rookie receiver Antonio Brown.

The throw was perfect and almost went for a touchdown, but Brown's momentum carried him out of bounds.

A few plays later, Rashard Mendenhall carried the ball into the end zone for the game-winning touchdown.

Against the Jets in the AFC Championship game, Roethlsberger did not play great, but he still made some clutch plays and helped his team win.

He completed two passes on third downs late in the game, clinching the victory. He wasn't throwing the ball well, so he used his feet, running for three first downs and a touchdown.

For me and fellow Big Ben and Steelers fans, it's nothing new and certainly isn't surprising—Ben has always embraced these moments since he's been a Steeler.

He has the most fourth quarter game-winning drives and fourth quarter comebacks since he's been in the league.

Roethlsberger has a regular season record of 60-26, but perhaps most impressively, he is now 10-2 as a starter in the playoffs.

He engineered possibly the most dramatic and great Super Bowl drive and game-winning touchdown pass in history, and in total has two Super Bowl rings and four AFC Championship appearances in just seven years.

At some point, I just have to throw my hands up in the air and say there's an anti-Roethlisberger bias.

I know some people don't like the guy and there's a perception that he's not a "good" guy, but as far as being a quarterback and player goes, he's special.

Yes, he has been blessed with a good supporting cast—he's been blessed by being drafted to a franchise that is committed to winning.

That being said, how many Super Bowls did the Steelers win after Terry Bradshaw retired and before Ben become the quarterback?

The Steelers had championship-caliber teams in the 90's and in the the early 2000's, yet they never had a championship-caliber quarterback.

Kordell Stewart threw three interceptions in two home AFC Championship games. Neil O'Donnell almost single-handedly lost Super Bowl XXX.

Yes, Roethlsberger was drafted to a good team and to a good franchise, but the Steelers were just 6-10 the year before Ben got here.

He rejuvenated the Steelers, going 15-0 in the regular season in his rookie year. He made big plays and gave the team a new found energy.

People have made a big deal that the Steelers went 3-1 this year without Roethlsberger, yet the Patriots went 11-5 without Brady two years ago. Again, there's a double standard when it comes to Ben.

What separates Roethlsberger from other quarterbacks is something that you can't teach. His physical and mental toughness is what makes him special. Ben can have a miserable first half and find a way to prevail in the end.

What I don't understand is why people fail to mention Roethlsberger with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Is it because of his stats?

Do these people not realize that Ben is the eighth-highest rated passer in NFL history? Did Ben not go 9-6 last year while throwing for over 4,300 yards, with 26 touchdowns and a QB rating over 100?

I hear a lot of people say that it's the team, not Roethlsberger. I hear people say that if you put Peyton on the Steelers, he would have multiple Super Bowls as well. That's ridiculous.

If you say to me, "Give Peyton Manning the Steelers defense," I'll say OK, let Roethlsberger throw to Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark and Marvin Harrison with Edgerrin James in the backfield in a dome with a perfect climate.

If you want Manning to have Roethlsberger's defense, then he has to play outside in Pittsburgh, behind Ben's offensive line, with Roethlsberger's receivers.

Are these same people suggesting that Tom Brady has never benefitted from good defenses? The Patriots have had a top-10 defense in eight of the last 10 seasons, including the best scoring defense twice.

Now Aaron Rodgers is considered an elite QB. That's fine but his defense was ranked second in the NFL this year in scoring defense.

Roethlsberger got killed for winning the AFC Championship with no TD passes and two picks, and a 35 QB rating. Yet Rodgers also won the NFC Championship with zero TD and two picks.

Aside from having the eighth-best quarterback rating of all time, Ben has the fourth-best yards-per-attempt in NFL history.

My opinion is that fantasy football geeks and stat junkies get mad because they don't always have a way of understanding how Ben always seems to find a way to get a victory.

It's because he's a natural winner. He has "it." "IT" can't be explained but Ben has it.

If Roethlsberger leads the Steelers to another Super Bowl this year, it will give him three in his first seven seasons, before he even turns 30.

Then you have to talk about him being an all-time great. Then you have to put him in with Brady and Manning regardless of stats or what the "experts" might think.

All I know is that despite all the stats and arguing, one thing is for sure—Roethlsberger is clutch.

When his career is over, Roethlsberger may end up being the best clutch quarterback of his generation and maybe even of all-time.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5892 ... f-all-time (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/589245-ben-roethlisberger-is-elite-and-one-of-the-best-quarterbacks-of-all-time)

Wow. Just wow. :Clap

I am with you 100%. Ben has "IT". He's got the "moxie". He makes everyone on his team better, too.

skyhawk
01-29-2011, 09:27 PM

So Manning has had four top 10 defense's since we drafted Ben yet his ball lickers claim that he doesn't have a defense?

How is that possible?

I am beginning to think that Manning doesn't deserve being mentioned in the same sentence with Brady and Ben.

I have a steelers jersey #7 with the name Mr. Clutch on the back. :tt2

SteelAbility
01-29-2011, 10:34 PM
No, I'm not happy. It took him too long to recognize it. :twisted:

RuthlessBurgher
01-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Apparently, there is no "I" in "Roethlsberger" :lol: