PDA

View Full Version : Defensive strategy: Rush 3, or BLITZBURGH!! ... ??

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-28-2011, 10:13 AM
I think it's pretty much clear the Pack can't run on anyone well, so it's a foregone conclusion they won't be able to run on our USUAL run defense.

The question in my mind is - if we keep our backs in the backfield more to help with the pass D (in other words, not so many blitzes), unavoidably giving Rogers more time before he's got to get rid of the ball ...

- is Rogers "Ben enough" to find the open receivers despite our clogging up the backfield?

- will the Pack be able to run against a non-Blitzburgh Pittsburgh run D?

What do you guys think?

Oviedo
01-28-2011, 10:14 AM
We have seen that rushing three does not work. Unleash the dogs!!!!!! Physically punish Rodgers every chance you get and concuss his butt out of the game.

snarky
01-28-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm hoping for a mixed strategy with a lean toward the blitz.

focosteeler
01-28-2011, 10:37 AM

:Agree

i do think we need to hit rogers as much as we can early on....he has a sore shoulder, maybe rough him up a little early on get it hurting again

SidSmythe
01-28-2011, 10:54 AM

:Agree

i do think we need to hit rogers as much as we can early on....he has a sore shoulder, maybe rough him up a little early on get it hurting again

:Agree :Agree

steelz09
01-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Blitzburgh. Pressure on Rodgers is huge in this game.

Flasteel
01-28-2011, 08:00 PM
I think we need to consistently bring 4 and 5 guys and hit Rodgers as much as possible. You know they are going to attack us with their 4-receiver sets throughout the game. so we need to do the same thing a lot of us were advocating had we played New England. Press the receivers at the line of scrimmage and knock them off their routes. Get in the face of the quarterback and make him get rid of the ball quickly.

The problem is that Rodgers is scary out of the pocket..he's probably the 2nd best quarterback in the league at extending plays-only behind Roethlisberger. We have to be disciplined with our rush lanes and keep that guy contained as much as possible. That's probably the biggest fear I have against this team.

ALLD
01-28-2011, 08:48 PM
The defense is going to have to win this game. Hit Rogers a few times and he will crumble. He is one good hit away from another concussion.

SteelAbility
01-28-2011, 11:44 PM
Blitzburgh.

Next Question.

:P

flippy
01-29-2011, 12:35 AM
Push him up in the pocket to get leveled by Timmons/Farrior.

Take one helmet shot and the penalty.

Rodgers is concussion prone afterall.

I heard the only reason he was ok after the Peppers hit was his new helmet. We should retest it.

skyhawk
01-29-2011, 01:30 AM
We rushed 3 and 4 against Brady this year and got spanked. Next.

pepsyman1
01-29-2011, 07:35 AM
Our defense has made it's name and reputation on our zone blitz, not rushing 3 and dropping into coverage. Rodgers is too good a QB to give that kind of time to. If he's unpressured with the receivers he has, he will complete passes. Are we taking a risk blitzing him, sure, but nowhere near the risk of NOT bringing the pressure....If we were to lose I'd much rather it be while throwing our best at him.

I'm sure many of you remember from early in the Cowher days that we used to struggle mightily against Jim Kelly and the Bills for a number of seasons. He used to tear us apart when we didn't really go after him. Then I remember a Monday night game where we simply turned everyone loose. There were blitzers coming from every conceivable direction (and a few unconceivable ones). I still remember watching Rod Woodson get to Kelly so fast on one play that I was sure he had lined up in their backfield. We crushed them that night and continued to beat them pretty regularly after that. I say BLITZ THE LIVING HELL OUT OF THEM. If they can handle our blitz with all the different looks and shifts that Coach D can throw at them, then they deserve to win.

ScoreKeeper
01-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Live by the blitz, die by the blitz.

But don't leave any "waht if's" on the field.

Bring everyone and their brothers and make AR earn every damn thing they get. If we sit back, he'll pick us apart.

Oviedo
01-29-2011, 02:21 PM

Bring everyone and their brothers and make AR earn every damn thing they get. If we sit back, he'll pick us apart.

:Agree Attack! Attack! Attack!

I'd rather go down fighting and attacking than sitting back and getting picked apart. Send Timmons up the middle every down.

ScoreKeeper
01-29-2011, 03:11 PM

:Agree Attack! Attack! Attack!

I'd rather go down fighting and attacking than sitting back and getting picked apart. Send Timmons up the middle every down.
Dance with the girl you brought you. :tt2

spyboots
01-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Rodgers will run if no one is open and he gets out of the pocket free.

ScoreKeeper
01-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Rodgers will run if no one is open and he gets out of the pocket free.
DL will have a spy on him. No doubt.