PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey has broken bone in ankle

SteelerNation1
01-27-2011, 08:49 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11027/1121114-66.stm

PG exclusive: Steelers' Pouncey has broken bone in left ankle
Thursday, January 27, 2011
By Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey has a broken bone in his left ankle along with the previously-announced high ankle sprain. His status for Super Bowl XLV Feb. 6 remains highly doubtful.

Steelers sources say they have not yet ruled him out of the game against the Green Bay Packers, but a number of teammates remain privately skeptical that he will be healthy enough to play.

Both Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and Pouncey himself described the injury to the rookie Pro Bowler as a high ankle sprain, sustained on the opening drive of their 24-19 victory against the New York Jets in the AFC Championship game.

But, after further examination, it was determined Pouncey also has a broken bone in his ankle. His left foot and ankle were encased in a hard cast that replaced a walking boot. Pouncey has been using crutches to get around but has not been available to the media this week at the team's training facility.

Sources told the Post-Gazette that while there is a broken bone, damage to the ligaments in his ankle remains the major stumbling block for him.

Pouncey was injured when Jets linebacker Bryan Thomas fell on the back of his left leg after being shoved by right tackle Flozell Adams. The play came at the tail end of a Ben Roethlisberger pass to Hines Ward that carried seven yards to the Jets one.

Doug Legursky replaced Pouncey at center and the Steelers scored on the next play when Rashard Mendenhall ran 1 yard into the end zone. Legursky played the rest of the game and likely will start in the Super Bowl. His backup would be guard/tackle Trai Essex, who has played just about every position on the offensive line this season.

Pouncey and Adams were the only players on the offensive line to start every game this season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11027/11 ... z1CHpoTF9S (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11027/1121114-66.stm#ixzz1CHpoTF9S)

Steelers33
01-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Espn said there was no structural damage in his ankle,
but anyways he still probably can't plain on a high ankle sprain.

Discipline of Steel
01-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Crap. Our OL depth has been tested all season and it has shined, but we are running out of guys. Lets hope Kuggs can pull of another round of genius for the SB. Losing Pouncey is particularly tough.

SteelCrazy
01-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Wonder if we could get Mike Pouncey to stand in, maybe limp a little bit?

Shoe
01-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Wonder if we could get Mike Pouncey to stand in, maybe limp a little bit?

Haha... seriously, would that be awesome or what (if he knew all the blocking assignments and stuff of course)! But alas, that level of cheating is only for the Patriots*.

Legursky being the Center (vs. Raji), I HOPE that we go much more no-huddle. Use Raji's fatness against him. Keep him on the field, wear him down, and let that little pug Legursky nip and annoy him all night long. Cuz if we just line up and play, Raji will command an automatic double-team all night long and suck up blockers.

Flasteel
01-27-2011, 10:51 PM
I know this is a little die-hard optimism speaking, but Pouncey has a chance to cement himself as a legend...a la Jack Youngblood. I'm not sure what bone is broken or how much of it is simply pain tolerance, but to show up for the biggest game on a broken wheel is the kind of stuff that will make you immortal.

Now that's a real story for Super Bowl week! :tt2

fordfixer
01-28-2011, 01:11 AM
Steelers' Kemoeatu backs off assessment of Pouncey's injury

By Nate Davis, USA TODAY
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... l-status/1 (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/01/steelers-g-chris-kemoeatu-backs-off-assessment-of-c-maurkice-pounceys-super-bowl-status/1)

A day after strongly hinting that rookie Pro Bowl C Maurkice Pouncey would miss Super Bowl XLV due to the left high ankle sprain he suffered in the AFC Championship Game, Steelers LG Chris Kemoeatu softened his stance Thursday.

"I think they're taking it day by day, as far as his injury," Kemoeatu said, holding out hope that the team's first-round pick will suit up vs. the Packers. "I don't think it has been confirmed that he's not playing yet. Right now he's just rehabbing."

Pouncey was hurt in the first quarter of Pittsburgh's 24-19 win vs. the Jets and didn't return to the game after being replaced by Doug Legursky. Whoever starts for the Steelers will have to contend with imposing Packers NT B.J. Raji.

Pouncey claimed Sunday that he would be ready for the Super Bowl.

Kemoeatu said differently Wednesday, telling the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: "We are definitely sad that he won't be able to be with us in the Super Bowl.

"Definitely I feel bad for him. We just have to win it for him. It's definitely a huge loss for us."

Pouncey has not participated in the Steelers' two practices thus far this week.

hawaiiansteel
01-28-2011, 03:46 PM
I heard Maurkice had his cast removed today and is now in a walking boot so the Steelers must still be hoping that he can play...