PDA

View Full Version : I still can't believe

Scarletfire1970
01-27-2011, 04:20 PM
We are going to the SB....AGAIN! Especially after this past offseason. It seems so sureal to me. I guess it hasn't sunk in yet because I refuse to watch any of the ESPN, NFL network hype. Or maybe I won't let myself get too excited because I am so nervous about playing the Packers. Tough matchup for us.

:tt1

Crash
01-27-2011, 04:35 PM
It's surreal because it's old hat for this team. Any time this team gets in the playoffs with Ben behind center, knowing the teams track record since 2005, it's not a shock anymore. You can say it's almost expected.

18 players have 2 rings. It's now "business like" for them when they get into the playoffs because of everything they've been through since 2005.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-27-2011, 04:52 PM
It's not gonna feel real to me till late next week. Maybe even Superbowl Sunday it will hit me.

We are some lucky fans here in Pittsburgh.

:Beer

ScoreKeeper
01-27-2011, 05:03 PM
We are going to the SB....AGAIN! Especially after this past offseason. It seems so sureal to me. I guess it hasn't sunk in yet because I refuse to watch any of the ESPN, NFL network hype. Or maybe I won't let myself get too excited because I am so nervous about playing the Packers. Tough matchup for us.

The playing the Packers part is why I am soo nervious.

I have not taken for "granted" (because back then it was not granted but it was so over-whelming that it took a lot to soak it all in) a SB berth since 30. That one kinda hit us but it had been so long I never really "got" it. Then a good friend of mine said....wow, I will never again, not so much take for granted, but miss out on all the feelings, the sounds, the everything of getting to a SB. I have so enjoyed what this team has done since 05 that I absorb every moment of it. Not from ESPN or NFLN, but just from seeing others like me with the perma grin on their faces.

This will be one h ell of a game. And I refuse to allow anything, or anyone, to stain this experience.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-27-2011, 05:08 PM
It seems so very strange that the Pro Bowl is being played this week.......and then we have the Super Bowl.

ScoreKeeper
01-27-2011, 05:15 PM
It seems so very strange that the Pro Bowl is being played this week.......and then we have the Super Bowl.
Peyton loves it. He gets to play a second game of his career in late January.

Wolfhound45
01-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Still cannot believe it myself. Having said that, this is the first SB matchup where I have been nervous. Maybe I should have been worried about Seattle and Arizona, but I was not. Green Bay (to me) is a completely different story. It is almost like playing against ourselves. A very scary thing.

Scarletfire1970
01-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Still cannot believe it myself. Having said that, this is the first SB matchup where I have been nervous. Maybe I should have been worried about Seattle and Arizona, but I was not. Green Bay (to me) is a completely different story. It is almost like playing against ourselves. A very scary thing.Their strength is our weakness.

Crash
01-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Their strength is their defense.

Except for one quarter in these playoffs they've won down to the wire just like us.

We have to jump on them early, they have started slow out of the gate in domes at times against good teams.

Scarletfire1970
01-27-2011, 08:34 PM

Except for one quarter in these playoffs they've won down to the wire just like us.

We have to jump on them early, they have started slow out of the gate in domes at times against good teams.
I meant their passing game v our secondary.

SteelerNation1
01-27-2011, 08:44 PM
This season had a different feel to me than 05 or 08. This team never blinked. They are the most resilient bunch I can remember.

Wolfhound45
01-27-2011, 08:46 PM
I am particularly concerned about their interior D line (Raji and Jenkins). I believe they are incredibly stout and will do two things;

One - Clogging our running lanes (1-2 gaps) and completely shutting down our inside running game.

Two - Get pressure "up the gut" and completely disrupting our passing game.

I don't like seeing either of these happening.

Crash
01-27-2011, 08:48 PM
So you pitch Mendy wide and you roll Ben out.

2nd and 3rd and manageable is key.

Irongut
01-27-2011, 08:49 PM

Out of the gate in domes at times against good teams?

You should place a few more clarifications on those predictions.

I look for a lot of power sets, keeping the OLB's occupied in coverage or getting blocked, wear down the big guys and open up play action. Their corners match up well. Run the ball and keep the mistakes down and keep Rodgers on the bench, force him to play from behind and let the defense dominate. Be nice to start with another 9 minute drive.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-27-2011, 08:59 PM
I say F it and come out 4 wide with Heath and throw all over them on quick hitters. We got too many options for them to cover. Hines-Heath-Wallace-Sanders-Brown.....and best of all, Ben. Let your franchise QB win it for you....

I have no clue where the idiotic talking heads came up with the notion that Green Bay has better WR than us.

Wolfhound45
01-27-2011, 09:15 PM
So you pitch Mendy wide and you roll Ben out.

2nd and 3rd and manageable is key.

Ben is going to be Ben. Called roll out versus "school yard" roll out is the difference if it is manageable or not.

I have not seen a lot in pitches that I like. Possibly a pitch to the strong side (Heath) or a "banana bunch" formation (love listening to Bill Hillgrove say that).

Their two OLB are not slouches either. How do their corners/safeties look in run support?

flippy
01-27-2011, 09:21 PM

You should hang around me more. Plus I have a new lucky hat :)

Irongut
01-28-2011, 11:25 AM
I say F it and come out 4 wide with Heath and throw all over them on quick hitters. We got too many options for them to cover. Hines-Heath-Wallace-Sanders-Brown.....and best of all, Ben. Let your franchise QB win it for you....

I have no clue where the idiotic talking heads came up with the notion that Green Bay has better WR than us.
You come out in 4 wide, you allow Matthews to rush and their CB's can hang with our wr's. Two tight power sets keeping them in base defense and keeping Matthews from blitzing freely. Run at him, Run at the defense, tire them out, then hit them big with play action.

NC Steeler Fan
01-28-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm not sure about it technically, but do you mean open up like we did against
indy in the '06 playoff run?

I remember sitting there, watching us march down the field at will and thinking
"who are these guys and what did they do with the Pittsburgh Steelers?" :lol:

Keep the faith guys. We'll figure it out when we need to!

IN TOMLIN/ARIENS/LEBEAU WE TRUST!

Irongut
01-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Another methodical 10 minute drive would certainly help. That was a thing of beauty.

papillon
01-28-2011, 04:02 PM
If the Packer inside pass rush gets into Ben's face easily it could be a long day, On the other hand, if the outside rushers are too aggressive and get pushed past the pocket on the outside allowing Ben to step up and to the outside either right or left it could be a long day for the Packers.

Somehow, I get the feeling this game is going to come down to Ben vs the Packers defensive front.

Pappy

Irongut
01-28-2011, 04:11 PM
If the Packer inside pass rush gets into Ben's face easily it could be a long day, On the other hand, if the outside rushers are too aggressive and get pushed past the pocket on the outside allowing Ben to step up and to the outside either right or left it could be a long day for the Packers.

Somehow, I get the feeling this game is going to come down to Ben vs the Packers defensive front.

Pappy
Matthews is the only rusher that worries me. That's why you go multiple tight ends, forcing him into coverage or helping block him.