PDA

View Full Version : Bronco Legursky

flippy
01-27-2011, 11:35 AM
That was fun to type :)

Hopefully he can bring some advantages to the game.

At 6'1" he should be able to get lower and get leverage against BJ Raji.

At 315lbs, he's got better size than Pouncey to matchup with Raji.

And he's a powerful guy in the weight room that should have an advantage over Pouncey in moving Raji.

His negatives are his short arms and he can't block downfield like Pouncey.

But in this case, Raji is gonna line up right over top of him. His short arms aren't gonna come into play. And he's gonna have his hands full at the point of attack and may not need to get downfield to block anyways.

IMHO, the fact that we're playing a 3-4 D helps Bronco out.

And the perceived disadvantage may not be as great as many expect.

The Standard is the Standard afterall.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-27-2011, 11:46 AM
This will be an interesting matchup as both offenses line up daily in practice against a very similar 3-4 D.

Ghost
01-27-2011, 12:08 PM
I dont' think "all is lost" but the team is not as strong as it would be with the Pro Bowl Center on the sidelines. Legursky is not bringing any advantages. Hopefully just not too many disadvantages.

I'm hoping he's not overwhelmed by the moment and overwhelemed by the defense. I think we'll know early on in the game if either is the case.

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2011, 12:08 PM
I don't think Legursky necessarily has short arms (it was A.Q. "T-Rex" Shipley that had comically short arms). Granted, Legursky doesn't have long arms (since he is only 6'1", his arms are proportionate to that frame, as opposed to Pouncey, who is 3-4 inches taller than Bronko).

BradshawsHairdresser
01-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Pouncey's athleticism will be sorely missed. I hope Bronco plays the game of his life, but I'm not optimistic about his matchup vs. Raji.

MeetJoeGreene
01-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Can Legursky make the protection scheme calls as well as Pouncey

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2011, 01:12 PM

Seems so. The Jets had 40 sacks in the regular season (that's 8th in the league...we were 1st with 48), but they only got to Ben twice in the AFCCG. Remember, Legursky has been a center in this system (either on the practice squad or on the active roster) for 3 seasons now, which is certainly more experience than the rookie has.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Maybe Dirt Dawson has one game left in him.

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Maybe Dirt Dawson has one game left in him.

I say dress Mike Pouncey in Maurkice's uniform. No one will be able to tell the difference. :Steel :Steel

Perhaps he pulled out of the Senior Bowl in order to play in the Super Bowl. :stirpot

If we win a Super Bowl with him, then I guess he's worth a first round pick 3 months from now. :tt2 :tt1

Oviedo
01-27-2011, 01:23 PM

Seems so. The Jets had 40 sacks in the regular season (that's 8th in the league...we were 1st with 48), but they only got to Ben twice in the AFCCG. Remember, Legursky has been a center in this system (either on the practice squad or on the active roster) for 3 seasons now, which is certainly more experience than the rookie has.

I think Legursky will be OK. He has more bulk than Pouncey but probably worse technique. Keep in mind that the Packers really use a 2-5-4 alot versus a straight up 3-4 with the NT over the Center.

It is really going to come down to can our receivers get open quick enough for Ben to dump off the ball and how effective can we run. I really think we will be able to effectively run on the edges against their defense.

I'm far more worried about our defense than I am about our offense. The Packers are the worst possible match up for us in that they are a past first team so taking away the run doesn't effect them at all. Our weak secondary is a terrible match up with their receivers.

snarky
01-27-2011, 01:31 PM
I guess what I am wondering is whether or not there is anyone on the scrap heap who would be better than our next guy in if Pouncey is out for the SB. I know it's late to bring a guy in but who are we looking at as our seventh OL player if Pouncey is out? Hills?

Is it completely unrealistic to bring Hartwig back in as a back-up at the center position?

Ghost
01-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Ben will just have to have another 500 yards of passing like he did at the end of 2009. Get in a shootout and hope the D can make one stop!

Mister Pittsburgh
01-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Let's just hope him and Ben worked on the exchange a boatload this week. Can't be giving those Packers any freebies due to a botched exchange like last week.

Chadman
01-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Legursky will be fine. He was fine last week, he'll be fine again.

The real pressure from the Pack D comes off the edges- Jon Scott & Flo will be tested.

SteelAbility
01-27-2011, 07:07 PM
That was fun to type :)

Hopefully he can bring some advantages to the game.

At 6'1" he should be able to get lower and get leverage against BJ Raji.

At 315lbs, he's got better size than Pouncey to matchup with Raji.

And he's a powerful guy in the weight room that should have an advantage over Pouncey in moving Raji.

His negatives are his short arms and he can't block downfield like Pouncey.

But in this case, Raji is gonna line up right over top of him. His short arms aren't gonna come into play. And he's gonna have his hands full at the point of attack and may not need to get downfield to block anyways.

IMHO, the fact that we're playing a 3-4 D helps Bronco out.

And the perceived disadvantage may not be as great as many expect.

The Standard is the Standard afterall.

I think the biggest factor is going to be line calls.