PDA

View Full Version : New Planet Steelers

steelz09
01-27-2011, 10:49 AM
All,

Please check out the new Planet Steelers home page @ http://www.planetsteelers.com

It's a complete redesign althought it's still ongoing. I'd appreciate any feedback you all have. It's been tested in IE 8, Safari (on a mac), and FireFox.

Also, I'm still looking for people to write articles for the home page. It's a good opportunity to gain quality exposure for your articles due to the google ranking of Planet Steelers and the amount of viewers. The articles can be anything from weekly matchup discussions (in season), draft talk, steelers history, free agency, training camp, random thoughts, etc etc.

Just email me at admin@planetsteelers.com if interested.

Regards,

John

proudpittsburgher
01-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks for all of your work, J.

costanza2k1
01-27-2011, 11:50 AM
I like the looks, I think the forum link should be bigger or something as that is the driver for this site. The site is built around it as many are. You may also consider upgrading the forum software in the offseason as well, just a thought. Otherwise it looks great.

steelz09
01-27-2011, 09:02 PM
cost,

Upgrade the steelers forum to what? We are running the latest version of phpBB. Are you recommending vBulletin, a new phpBB theme, etc?

THanks,

John

Crash
01-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Eliminate the work filter on "D*ck" Lebeau

Shawn
01-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Site looks terrific John.

And Crash, you can turn off the word filter in your user control panel.

Discipline of Steel
01-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Thanx, Ill do that.

steelz09
01-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Site looks terrific John.

And Crash, you can turn off the word filter in your user control panel.

Thanks all for the feedback!

Tonight I added a new feature to the PlanetSteelers.com home page. The page is available via the "Steelers Breaking News" link at the top of the page.

It's a feature that typically isn't free but they provided it to Planet Steelers for free :)

The feature lists Steelers News from the web essentially providing a one-stop-shop.

The feature lists the title, source, and the time each article was posted. It sorts all news starting with the newest at the top. It lists articles from:

- ESPN
- Post Gazette
- Tribune Review
- Scout.com
- Blogs
- Yahoo Sports
- Bleacher Report
- Fox Sports
- FanHouse.com

... they continue to add more as they become available.

SteelAbility
01-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Swing and a hit ... deep to center field ... it's gone!

Looks great!! :D

Flasteel
01-27-2011, 11:30 PM
The forum link took me right back to the current forum. Are you planning on adding the diamond plate background to the forum? It looks great J!

steelz09
01-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Flasteel.

I could probably replace the current black background on the forum with the background on the homepage (the steel plate).

I did not redesign the forum or the photo gallery / highlight sections at this time... just the home page and the sub-pages.

Thanks,

John

MeetJoeGreene
01-27-2011, 11:50 PM
When I click on the PlanetSteelers.com link on the top of the forum page.. it takes me to the forum index.. I think it should go to the Home Page..

papillon
01-28-2011, 12:50 AM
I don't like the blue and white forum very much. I was partial to the black and gold, since the Steelers colors are black and gold.

Pappy

fordfixer
01-28-2011, 12:51 AM
I don't like the blue and white forum very much. I was partial to the black and gold, since the Steelers colors are black and gold.

Pappy
:Agree

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-28-2011, 12:54 AM

Pappy

Oh, please, please, please, please, please bring the Black and Gold background back.

This is just a generic forum background, it looks no different than the music forum, or other forums I go to. The Black and Gold forum was as much the signature calling card of Planet Steelers as the awesome sigs on the forum are.

And, congratulations, jhansle9 on the front page of Planetsteelers - it looks absolutely fantastic, so professional looking!

Thank you for your consideration, jhansle9 (re: bringing back the Steelers' Black and Gold background - "The best colors in the world for the best forum in the world!")!

Respectfully, SASF

RuthlessBurgher
01-28-2011, 01:05 AM
The blueness makes me wanna sing the blues...

http://api.ning.com/files/BykvwnNi9Ls3F8HZQhQsXIDcUOm72YivWgWTttfgBILoIIt6uz YAlIBAAnkDiUYra63KPRYAP6HKMXcKJTxRuey5iGMIzeFq/TheBlues.jpg

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-28-2011, 01:13 AM

http://gotitans.com/goForum/

hawaiiansteel
01-28-2011, 01:18 AM

Pappy

Oh, please, please, please, please, please bring the Black and Gold background back.

This is just a generic forum background, it looks no different than the music forum, or other forums I go to. The Black and Gold forum was as much the signature calling card of Planet Steelers as the awesome sigs on the forum are.

And, congratulations, jhansle9 on the front page of Planetsteelers - it looks absolutely fantastic, so professional looking!

Thank you for your consideration, jhansle9 (re: bringing back the Steelers' Black and Gold background - "The best colors in the world for the best forum in the world!")!

Respectfully, SASF

I 100% agree with bringing back the Black & Gold background!!!!!!! :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

fordfixer
01-28-2011, 01:39 AM

California-Steel
01-28-2011, 02:00 AM
Looks great.
WordPress?
Joomla?
Drupal?
or
Other?

steelz09
01-28-2011, 02:28 AM
The main page uses wordpress. Drupal is very good though from what I understand.

Sorry about the forum issues. I'll blame it on MJG, lol.

In editing the header to ensure that the main logo links back to the home page (per MJB request), the theme file got corrupted and I had to restore it. It looks like everything is working correctly for the most part. Still a few things that I need to correct though.

MJG -- Just joking. I agree that the header image should have linked back to the home page. The link has been changed and is working.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Thank you, jhansle9!!

MeetJoeGreene
01-28-2011, 11:25 AM
The main page uses wordpress. Drupal is very good though from what I understand.

Sorry about the forum issues. I'll blame it on MJG, lol.

In editing the header to ensure that the main logo links back to the home page (per MJB request), the theme file got corrupted and I had to restore it. It looks like everything is working correctly for the most part. Still a few things that I need to correct though.

MJG -- Just joking. I agree that the header image should have linked back to the home page. The link has been changed and is working.

Thanks!

costanza2k1
01-28-2011, 01:29 PM
cost,

Upgrade the steelers forum to what? We are running the latest version of phpBB. Are you recommending vBulletin, a new phpBB theme, etc?

THanks,

John

sorry, most of the time I'm not clear in what I'm trying to say. I would make the color scheme consistent with the lead in front page so it all flows.

grotonsteel
01-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Thanks Jhansle

Site looks good...

DukieBoy
01-28-2011, 07:18 PM

http://api.ning.com/files/BykvwnNi9Ls3F8HZQhQsXIDcUOm72YivWgWTttfgBILoIIt6uz YAlIBAAnkDiUYra63KPRYAP6HKMXcKJTxRuey5iGMIzeFq/TheBlues.jpg
Ruthless, you are quite an artist, and apparently a bluesman too.

BrownSteel
01-28-2011, 08:27 PM
I like it. When does it go official?