PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith still holding out hope that he can play

fordfixer
01-27-2011, 02:10 AM
Steelers' Aaron Smith still holding out hope that he can play
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, January 27, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 20019.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_720019.html)

Aaron Smith participated in practice on a limited basis Wednesday and left shortly thereafter for a doctor's appointment.

The veteran defensive end is hoping to get clearance to play in Super Bowl XV before the Steelers leave for Dallas on Monday.

"I think it's feasible, I really do," Smith said of playing for the first time since partially tearing his left triceps in late October. "The longer (this season) has stretched, the better the possibility of me playing has gotten. I would like to have an answer before we leave, but we've gone this long, so we'll see what happens and go from there."

Smith has been practicing on a limited basis for two weeks, and he is realistic about the role he will play even if the 6-foot-5, 298-pounder is well enough to suit up for his third Super Bowl.

Smith said he will spell second-year man Ziggy Hood if he plays against the Green Bay Packers.

Hood has started 12 consecutive games at left defensive end. All four of his sacks this season have come in the Steelers' last six games.

"Ziggy's done a fantastic job and deserves to play all the snaps he can because the guy's carried us to this point," Smith said. "Whatever I can do to help out, a snap here, a snap there, it would be nice to do and go from there."

Smith has been starting since 2000 and is widely considered one of the top 3-4 defensive ends in the NFL.

The Steelers kept Smith on the 53-man roster after he got hurt even though there were no guarantees that he would make it back.

That underscored Smith's value to the Steelers, and his teammates have talked about how inspiring it would be if he returns this season.

"I'm kind of speechless when I hear that," Smith said. "I can't help but fantasize about the team and dream about it, just to be out there, being able to be on the field and a part of something special."

Digits

4: Players that had at least 500 yards receiving for the Packers this season, a team record

263: Rushing yards by Packers rookie James Starks during the postseason, tops in the NFL

steelers' super bowl takes

"I don't think I would have been shocked, to be honest with you. Knowing the guys in this locker room — we're a tight-knit group — we kind of rally around each other. It's not surprising that we are where we are."

Tight end Heath Miller, on being told at the beginning of the season that the Steelers would advance to Super Bowl XLV despite Ben Roethlisberger missing the first four games

"Thirteen years in this league, five Pro Bowls, an All-Pro selection. If you can just give him that last one thing — a Super Bowl championship behind that long resume — I think that seals it."

Tackle Max Starks, on the offensive line wanting to honor veteran tackle Flozell Adams, a former Dallas player, with a Super Bowl win in the Cowboys' home stadium

"I probably do have the most but I probably don't have the most going. You've got to cut it off at some point. I get in as many people as I can and everybody else will be mad but it is what it is."

Nose tackle Casey Hampton, on ticket requests for the Super Bowl

"I just try to have fun with it and enjoy the circus atmosphere and all the media attention. The key is not to get overwhelmed or let it stress you out. So, I tell the young guys to just enjoy it, because you might never get back. It's going to get crazy, but you have to focus in on the game once we get going there and you have to put everything else behind you."

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, on the build-up to the Super Bowl

"I think the thing that's most important is to focus on you're going to be playing a game this week, to really study and get a jumpstart on the team you're playing because when you go to your site, it's not the normal facility or amenities that you're used to so it can get tough to do your same type of research, you're same type of study habits. So it's very good to use this week in a very practical, common sense way this week and get a little head start."

Free safety Ryan Clark, on the significance of this week

Read more: Steelers' Aaron Smith still holding out hope that he can play - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1CDHnRXQo (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_720019.html#ixzz1CDHnRXQo)

fordfixer
01-27-2011, 02:20 AM
On the Steelers: Smith likely to miss Super Bowl
Thursday, January 27, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11027/1120960-66.stm

Another practice, another day of mostly watching practice for Aaron Smith. As the countdown to Super Bowl XLV progresses, it has become evident that the healing process in the defensive end's left arm will not keep pace.

It looks more and more as if Smith will spend Super Bowl Sunday the way he has spent the past dozen games, watching his teammates play football.

"You can't help but get frustrated sometimes," said Smith, the disappointment in his eyes and voice palpable. "Just the fact it takes time; you can't do anything to speed it up."

Smith's left triceps tendon was ruptured Oct. 24 while playing the Dolphins in Miami. He had surgery that week, and coach Mike Tomlin did not put him on injured reserve. Tomlin held out hope that the man the Steelers believe has been their best 3-4 defensive end in the nearly 30 years they have run that scheme might return to play by the playoffs.

The playoffs have come and gone and only the Super Bowl remains. Smith returned to "practice" two weeks ago but really hasn't done much on the field, he said. Tomlin listed him again as having "limited participation" in practice Wednesday.

Smith has a small scar 4-5 inches long reaching up the back of his left arm from his elbow, where the triceps tendon was reattached to the bone. It long ago healed, but the process of strengthening it has gone slowly.

"It would be nice if it were under my control," Smith said. "If you could outwork this, it would be great, I'd just outwork the problem. It's not something you can speed up, it's not in my hands."

Tomlin will not put him in a game if Smith does not have enough strength in that left arm to ward off blockers, tackle ballcarriers and protect himself.

"Just get it back to the point it's mature enough," Smith explained. "Even though it's healed, you have to get to that point where it's strong."

Smith made it clear that, if he cannot play, he does not want to suit up for the Super Bowl. There has been speculation that might happen, but he said that would be unfair to everyone and distasteful to him.

"The point in Dallas is to win the game," Smith said. "If I'm not able-bodied to help win the game, then why not put someone in who can help win the game? That's my feeling.

"If I was on the other end of somebody else and this guy wasn't able to play and you wanted to put a suit on him, I'd be probably upset because I want to win the game.

"No matter who suits up, put the best people out there to win the game. It wouldn't be fair to the guys, it wouldn't be fair to anybody."

At 34, this might be Smith's final chance to earn another Super Bowl ring. If it is, it won't be for lack of trying. He said he feels good and wants to return to play in 2011, that he has no thought of retiring yet no matter what happens Feb. 6.

"I have no intentions of not coming back," Smith said. "If I was getting killed every play, maybe. I try not to make any decisions on emotion or when you're frustrated. Let me come back and play football, and then we'll see. If I don't enjoy it or I'm getting killed, if that's the case, yeah. But I don't feel like that."
Some respect, please

A brouhaha developed in Green Bay this week when several players on injured reserve complained that the Packers were not taking them to the Super Bowl until Thursday and that they would not be included in the official team photo.

The Packers changed their plans. They will wait until their 15 players on injured reserve arrive in Dallas and will snap the photo Friday and include them.

That never has been a problem for the Steelers. Not only have they always included their players on injured reserve in the Super Bowl photo, those players are treated the same as all others. They fly on the team charter, which will leave Monday, and have the same accommodations. That is how it always has been.

"Of course," said offensive tackle Willie Colon, placed on injured reserve after his Achilles was ruptured in June. "That's how I think the other guys [in Green Bay] should be treated and not separated like that. A guy on IR, it's not his doing."

Offensive tackle Max Starks, placed on injured reserve Nov. 10 with a neck injury that required surgery, said what the Packers did "stinks."

"It's in the eyes of the organization. They've been doing this for a long time as well. If that's the way [the Packers] feel, that's the way they feel. I'm glad I'm in this organization and there's that respect.

"In this league every owner is different, and that's what makes some places more special than others, and that's why this is a special place because they include everybody. They realize everybody has put their hand in the pile at some point."
McFadden vows to play

Cornerback Bryant McFadden did not practice Wednesday but predicted he will play in the Super Bowl. He hopes his ailing abdomen reaches the point that it was the past Sunday for the AFC championship game.

The team's starting left cornerback had to yield that job to William Gay and played only in the nickel defense.

"The way I played this Sunday, if I can get 75-85 [percent], that's great for me, that's a blessing because this type of injury is very difficult. I feel if I can get there I'm in paradise. That's what I'm shooting for."

If that's the case, it's likely Gay will start at left cornerback against Green Bay, and McFadden again will play in the nickel.
More injury updates

McFadden, safety Troy Polamalu (Achilles), center Maurkice Pouncey (high ankle sprain), wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot), safety Will Allen (knee), offensive tackle Jonathan Scott did not practice. Aaron Smith was limited.

For Green Bay, linebackers Erik Walden (ankle) and Frank Zombo (knee) did not practice. Those limited in practice were linebacker Desmond Bishop (ankle), offensive tackle Chad Clifton (neck), linebacker A.J. Hawk (knee), wide receiver Greg Jennings (knee) and center Jason Spitz (calf).

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11027/11 ... z1CDKJLvpV (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11027/1120960-66.stm#ixzz1CDKJLvpV)

Oviedo
01-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Time to face reality. Smith isn't going to play. Get someone else ready to go.

SidSmythe
01-27-2011, 09:15 AM
If he doesn't know by now, he can't be close enough to be effective.

I agree. Put him on I.R. and promote a DB ...we're going to need an extra DB this week

Oviedo
01-27-2011, 09:33 AM
If he doesn't know by now, he can't be close enough to be effective.

I agree. Put him on I.R. and promote a DB ...we're going to need an extra DB this week

I think they would probably add another OL if Pouncey can't play. LeBeau obviously has no faith in Keenan Lewis or Crezdon Butler so promoting them would be a waste.

Starlifter
01-27-2011, 09:52 AM
I am really concerned about pouncey. If he can't go I think legursky can do a good job, but if he goes down we're screwed. I don't think trai essex can cut it. I was talking about this with a friend and he put down the crack pipe and said - we should IR smith and resign justin hartwig. he's out there and he knows the offense.

dear god.........

sentinel33
01-27-2011, 12:04 PM
i agree with starlifter. with smith and pouncey, decisions are gonna have to be made. definately IR smith but keep pouncey on and still bring in hartwig. the db's are set. butler and lewis wont get looks in the superbowl, as oviedo stated. so make sure the O-line is locked down. it kills me about smith. i knew it was a long shot but i was still holding out hope for him. but now its time to face the music and tomlin has decisions to make.
taylor and gay have been playing real well as of late. as long as mcfadden can hold his own the defense should be quite solid.

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2011, 12:12 PM
The Packers use a 4 WR set often with Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, James Jones, and Jordy Nelson. (Remember the last time we played them and Ben and Rodgers threw for over 800 yards and 6 TD's between them in a 37-36 track meet game?). We can't go into a game like this with only Ike, Gay, Madison, and an injured BMac at corner. There is no way that both Lewis and Butler are inactive.

Ghost
01-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Smith is an all time favorite but as Oviedo said, time to face reality. Go with the D linemen that have been dressing every week of the year.

The question is Pouncey/Mcfadden - do they need an additional lineman and/or CB as BM has been playing hurt. He's a twist away from not being able to play and Madison being the starter :shock:

WoodleyofTroy
01-27-2011, 12:49 PM
The only thing getting me over the Pouncey injury was the thought of Aaron coming back.

Damn.

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Smith is an all time favorite but as Oviedo said, time to face reality. Go with the D linemen that have been dressing every week of the year.

The question is Pouncey/Mcfadden - do they need an additional lineman and/or CB as BM has been playing hurt. He's a twist away from not being able to play and Madison being the starter :shock:

If McFadden re-injures himself in the game, then Ike and Gay would be your starting corners. Madison would move up into the nickel slot.

Oviedo
01-27-2011, 01:12 PM

If McFadden re-injures himself in the game, then Ike and Gay would be your starting corners. Madison would move up into the nickel slot.

God would need to help us if we think Madison can cover any of the Packers receivers. He can't and we would be screwed.

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2011, 01:13 PM

God would need to help us if we think Madison can cover any of the Packers receivers. He can't and we would be screwed.

In dime situations, I would prefer to put out Ike, BMac, Gay, Troy, Clark, and Mundy.

Oviedo
01-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Ruthless----I agree. I think Timmons could be a better nickle cover guy than Madison is. Hell, put a WR there like the Patriots did with Troy Smith. Anybody except Madison.

Shoe
01-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Pop some more steroids than normal Aaron, and get in the game! We need you!

PSU_dropout43
01-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Can Aaron Smith play center?

hawaiiansteel
01-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Steelers defensive end Smith to have Wednesday MRI

Posted by Evan Silva on January 31, 2011

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith will undergo an MRI on Wednesday to determine his status for Super Bowl XLV.

Smith has been rehabbing a torn tricep muscle since October 24.

Smith’s absence isn’t considered the most potentially detrimental to Pittsburgh’s Super Bowl chances because “backup” Ziggy Hood has been so productive. Hood has four sacks in his last six games, and the Steelers have allowed a league-low 62.1 rushing yards per week in Hood’s 12 starts.

They permitted 63.3 rushing yards per game with Smith as the first-team left end.

Center Maurkice Pouncey (ankle) remains Pittsburgh’s biggest injury concern. Though Pouncey is listed as questionable on the injury report, Schefter has reported that the rookie Pro Bowler is out for the game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... esday-mri/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/31/steelers-defensive-end-smith-to-have-wednesday-mri/)