PDA

View Full Version : Three Round Mock Draft

steelerkeylargo
01-26-2011, 03:41 PM
http://thenationalfootballreport.com/

NW Steeler
01-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Looks good to me! At least by need position-wise. Outside of Pouncey I don't know squat about the other two.

Oviedo
01-26-2011, 03:49 PM
I'd be fine with Pouncey at #32 and Williams at #96. Both are positions that we need to reinforce. No way would I trade picks to go up in Round 1 to get Pouncey just to reunite him with his brother.

I am not sold on Carmichael at #64. Did not look great in his bowl game and reports our of the Senior Bowl practices have him struggling. We don't need another Keenan Lewis or that could be a critical blow to our secondary that we might not recover from.

steelerkeylargo
01-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Defensive Linemen

1. Cameron Jordan, California- Jordan has been the most dominant player at the Senior Bowl at any position, and he is skyrocketing up draft boards. Jordan has shown burst off the edge and great strength, as he's perfect as an end in a 3-4 system or can play inside in a 4-3.

2. Ian Williams, Notre Dame- Williams has been dominant for two practices as he's taken up residence in the East Team's backfield. The former Notre Dame defensive tackle has great power and has been nearly impossible to block. 3. Pernell McPhee, Mississippi State- McPhee is a classic 3-4 defensive end who has held up very well against the run. In a 4-3 system, McPhee would likely play left end.

4. Sione Fua, Stanford- This California native has been a disruptive force in the middle as he reminds many of 2010 Top 10 draft pick, Tyson Alualu.

5. Jarvis Jenkins, Clemson- Jenkins has been a nice surprise this week as he's clogged the middle for the South Team. The former Tiger has been a busy man as he's talked to several teams this week.

Linebackers

1. Greg Jones, Michigan State- Greg Jones has been all over the field and he reminds some of Houston Texans star linebacker, DeMeco Ryans. Jones can be a plug-and-play guy as a rookie and will likely lead his team in tackles.

2. Nate Irving, North Carolina State- Irving has impressive size and can play inside in both 4-3 and 3-4 schemes. Irving has impressed scouts all week long.

3. Von Miller, Texas A & M- Miller is purely an outside linebacker on the next level who plays better going downhill. Miller could be the best pure rush-backer in this draft.

4. Brooks Reed, Arizona- Reed is a 'tweener at 6'2", 257 lbs. as he played mostly with his hand on the ground at Arizona but will have to transition to linebacker on the next level. Reed has shown good speed and solid coverage ability for a player of his size and lack of experience.

5. Kelvin Sheppard, LSU- Sheppard looks the part of a great linebacker but showed inconsistent hands. He has good instincts and an ability to shed blocks.

Secondary

1. Rashad Carmichael, Virginia Tech- Carmichael has been a ball-hawk this week as he's had interceptions in each practice. Carmichael has been a popular man amongst the scouts. 2. Quinton Carter, Oklahoma- The Fiesta Bowl champion has shown great hips and feet and has blanketed opposing wide receivers. Carter may be able to play both corner and safety on the next level.

3. Kendric Burney, North Carolina- When Burney is up, he's shadowed opposing receivers as well as anyone at the Senior Bowl. A few moments of inconsistency are why he isn't ranked higher.

4. Ahmad Black, Florida- The undersized safety has shown great sideline to sideline coverage ability this week but there are questions whether he has enough

steelerkeylargo
01-26-2011, 03:58 PM
From Wes Bunting @ The Senior Bowl

Some DB talk: I like Virginia Tech’s Rashad Carmichael. The CB has quick feet, was solid in his backpedal and showed a good burst coming out of his breaks. The secondary only played Cover 1 and Cover 3 yesterday, but Carmichael did show that he could work from an off-man alignment and break on the ball. Caught my eye starting with individual drills and carrying over into 7-on-7 and team drills.

Oviedo
01-26-2011, 04:10 PM
From Wes Bunting @ The Senior Bowl

Some DB talk: I like Virginia Tech’s Rashad Carmichael. The CB has quick feet, was solid in his backpedal and showed a good burst coming out of his breaks. The secondary only played Cover 1 and Cover 3 yesterday, but Carmichael did show that he could work from an off-man alignment and break on the ball. Caught my eye starting with individual drills and carrying over into 7-on-7 and team drills.

I saw these

• Virginia Tech CB Rashad Carmichael looked athletic and has very quick feet but struggled again at times today. One example was when he was unable to get a jam on Vincent Brown at the line.

Virginia Tech CB Rashad Carmichael struggled mightily early on, not reacting to numerous catches by Niles Paul and Vincent Brown. He atoned later with two interceptions, but needs to have a better week going forward

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/ ... th-124.php (http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Practices/North-124.php)

I just don't think we can have another "miss" at the CB position which is why I'd be OK with taking one at #32.

steelerkeylargo
01-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Carmichael is a perfect off-man corner (steelers scheme) so pressing at the line is not his strong suit.

Oviedo
01-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Carmichael is a perfect off-man corner (steelers scheme) so pressing at the line is not his strong suit.

But aren't we finding that we have to play more press defense against some of the teams we have traditionally struggled against like the Patriots. I thought that LeBeau was using that much more later in the season

steelerkeylargo
01-26-2011, 04:30 PM
I would love to play more press man. But the Raven game was the only game where I saw it. I guess we will find out in 10 days.

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Who is this mystery corner that is a can't miss guy at #32?

Peterson should come off the board in the top 5 overall (he's my draft man crush this year), Prince Amukamara shortly thereafter (in the top half of the first round), and Brandon Harris in the top 20 (likely no later than 25).

Who is next in the pecking order? No one else jumps off the page at me. The rest all seem like 2nd round prospects to me.

The idea of getting a top notch corner is great in theory, but I just don't see that guy available where we are slotted to pick (just like I'd love to get a stud NT to groom behind Casey, but I'm not enthralled with the crop of NT's this year).

steelerkeylargo
01-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Who is this mystery corner that is a can't miss guy at #32?

Peterson should come off the board in the top 5 overall (he's my draft man crush this year), Prince Amukamara shortly thereafter (in the top half of the first round), and Brandon Harris in the top 20 (likely no later than 25).

Who is next in the pecking order? No one else jumps off the page at me. The rest all seem like 2nd round prospects to me.

The idea of getting a top notch corner is great in theory, but I just don't see that guy available where we are slotted to pick (just like I'd love to get a stud NT to groom behind Casey, but I'm not enthralled with the crop of NT's this year).

The Mock has him going to the Steelers with the last pick in the 2nd round.

grotonsteel
01-26-2011, 05:03 PM
I heard Phil Taylor, NT is destroying people in the Senior Bowl practice.

Also on few draft sites they are mentioning Steelers are very much interested in Tyron Smith, USC. I am not sure if this is because of Lane kiffin/Monte Kiffin connection. Steelers have drafted few O-linemen from Tennessee.

Mayock and McShaw had Sherrod tied as No.5 OT. They have Nate Solder, Anthony, Gabe and Tyron smith rated higher than Derek Sherrod.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/1 ... enior-bowl (http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/19345/sherrod-starts-slowly-at-senior-bowl)

From ESPN Blog

"Mississippi State offensive tackle Derek Sherrod, who's considered a first-round prospect by some, struggled with lateral agility and keeping a consistent pad level, according to McShay. Arizona's Brooks Reed twice beat Sherrod with quickness, once to the outside and another time with a double move, exploiting what the Scouts Inc. team described as a lack of mobility and tightness in hips."

Oviedo
01-26-2011, 05:29 PM

Also on few draft sites they are mentioning Steelers are very much interested in Tyron Smith, USC. I am not sure if this is because of Lane kiffin/Monte Kiffin connection. Steelers have drafted few O-linemen from Tennessee.

Mayock and McShaw had Sherrod tied as No.5 OT. They have Nate Solder, Anthony, Gabe and Tyron smith rated higher than Derek Sherrod.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/1 ... enior-bowl (http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/19345/sherrod-starts-slowly-at-senior-bowl)

From ESPN Blog

"Mississippi State offensive tackle Derek Sherrod, who's considered a first-round prospect by some, struggled with lateral agility and keeping a consistent pad level, according to McShay. Arizona's Brooks Reed twice beat Sherrod with quickness, once to the outside and another time with a double move, exploiting what the Scouts Inc. team described as a lack of mobility and tightness in hips."

Tyron I think weighs in at about 285lbs. That just seems like its a little light for OT for me.

grotonsteel
01-26-2011, 05:36 PM

From ESPN Blog

Tyron I think weighs in at about 285lbs. That just seems like its a little light for OT for me.

He looks like a TE rather than OT. I think Tyron will be a far better fit with team like Colts or Cheatroits.

Oviedo
01-26-2011, 05:48 PM

From ESPN Blog

He looks like a TE rather than OT. I think Tyron will be a far better fit with team like Colts or Cheatroits.

...or maybe he is the next Larry Brown? To me he would seem to have to get a year in weight room to add weight and strength. But if we have Colon, Starks and Adams all coming back next year that could be a plan that might work.

It would seem however that there is no way he plays for a year at OG at that weight.

The more I read the more I'm really becoming intriqued about Marcus Cannon. He is 6'6" and like 340lbs. Real powerful man. I see where he is listed as a Guard but some Scouts think he may have RT potential. Sounds like another Flozell.

SKL--do you have any thoughts???????

steelerkeylargo
01-26-2011, 06:14 PM

From ESPN Blog

...or maybe he is the next Larry Brown? To me he would seem to have to get a year in weight room to add weight and strength. But if we have Colon, Starks and Adams all coming back next year that could be a plan that might work.

It would seem however that there is no way he plays for a year at OG at that weight.

The more I read the more I'm really becoming intriqued about Marcus Cannon. He is 6'6" and like 340lbs. Real powerful man. I see where he is listed as a Guard but some Scouts think he may have RT potential. Sounds like another Flozell.

SKL--do you have any thoughts???????

I have Cannon as a second round guard. Good power in the run game, sloppy pass pro technique, struggles with speed rush.

Oviedo
01-27-2011, 04:59 PM
New release of first Mock by Don Banks of Sports Illustrated. I love the pick he has for the Steelers:

32* CB Jimmy Smith Colorado Sr. 6-2 205. The Steelers have gotten away with less than top-notch corners for a while now, and Smith has ideal size and strong coverage skills. He can more than hold his own against tall, physical receivers, and his head-to-head matchup with Georgia's A.J. Green was one of the highlights of his senior season.

BTW Mike Pouncey is projected at #23. Entire Mock at:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... ?eref=sihp (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/01/27/2011-nfl-mock-draft/index.html?eref=sihp)

steelerkeylargo
01-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Steelers Scouts spent some time with Slippery Rock C/G Brandon Fusco after Wednesday Senior Bowl practice. Fusco is a tough scrappy kid who will be in the 4-5th rd. range.