PDA

View Full Version : POUNCEY X 2

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Change it up a little. Mumblings around the decision of Maurkice Pouncey coming out last year and Mike staying were out there...If you listened. One that I heard that is really starting to look like it had some weight was that the Pouncey twins life long dream is to be side by side on a NFL team. Both coming out last year would have significantly hindered the chances of that happening based upon where they were projected. Maurkice draft stock clearly peeked while Mike had room to grow. Maurkice declares and Mike announces his intention to return. The successful move of Mike to C from RG in Maurkice's departure could ultimately prove to propel Mike up into the 1st round...But also backfire if there were struggles.

Let's fast forward through the Gators season. Mike struggled early with C duties but he still showed he was fundamentally strong and very talented. The Gators didn't have the year they had hoped and Mike's stock wasn't helped by that fact. However, he stood out and with his bowl performance clearly showed that he was a strong candidate for a 1st round pick. With a Senior Bowl invite, combine, and private workouts in front of him there were many rungs on the ladder in reach.

Hate to ramble there but finally to my point. We have all read the quotes from Mike Pouncey about conversations between him and his brother Maurkice. Suggestions of how the Steelers would love to reunite the Pouncey twins in the Steel City. The dream realized...But the scenario wasn't looking good. The Steelers now have positioned themselves in the draft over the last two weeks. With that, it seemed that by the end of Mike Pouncey's journey, he could climb right out of reach for the Steelers by process end. While the Steeler Nation is getting ready for the shot at their 7th SB Title...The dream of the Pouncey twins playing together might be sinking below the surface. Now, I'm not a "conspiracy" theorist or one who tries to invoke wishes by "rubbing the lamp"....But does anyone else get that "funny feeling" when they hear Mike Pouncey pulled out of the Senior Bowl? Hmm...Did he just move a Chess piece?

Oviedo
01-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Change it up a little. Mumblings around the decision of Maurkice Pouncey coming out last year and Mike staying were out there...If you listened. One that I heard that is really starting to look like it had some weight was that the Pouncey twins life long dream is to be side by side on a NFL team. Both coming out last year would have significantly hindered the chances of that happening based upon where they were projected. Maurkice draft stock clearly peeked while Mike had room to grow. Maurkice declares and Mike announces his intention to return. The successful move of Mike to C from RG in Maurkice's departure could ultimately prove to propel Mike up into the 1st round...But also backfire if there were struggles.

Let's fast forward through the Gators season. Mike struggled early with C duties but he still showed he was fundamentally strong and very talented. The Gators didn't have the year they had hoped and Mike's stock wasn't helped by that fact. However, he stood out and with his bowl performance clearly showed that he was a strong candidate for a 1st round pick. With an Senior Bowl invite, combine, and private workouts in front of him there were many rungs on the ladder in reach.

Hate to ramble there but finally to my point. We have all read the quotes from Mike Pouncey about conversations between him and his brother Maurkice. Suggestions of how the Steelers would love to reunite the Pouncey twins in the Steel City. The dream realized...But the scenario wasn't looking good. The Steelers now have positioned themselves in the draft over the last two weeks. With that, it seemed that by the end of Mike Pouncey's journey, he could climb right out of reach for the Steelers by process end. While the Steeler Nation is getting ready for the shot at their 7th SB Title...The dream of the Pouncey twins playing together might be sinking below the surface. Now, I'm not a "conspiracy" theorist or one who tries to invoke wishes by "rubbing the lamp"....But does anyone else get that "funny feeling" when they hear Mike Pouncey pulled out of the Senior Bowl? Hmm...Did he just move a Chess piece?

He is far from a Round 1 lock. Wisniewski is a better Center and there are OTs who currently project at playing Guard early in their careers and could be better. If not for the season Maurkice had I don't thing Mike is getting any Round 1 hype.

I still think there is a 50/50 chance the Steelers could get him if they wanted him.

Shawn
01-25-2011, 03:49 PM
It does make one wonder. I don't know if there is any truth to that as it would take some serious trust on the part of Mike. Think about it, if indeed Mike is positioning for the Steelers to draft him, he would need a very strong indicator that the Steelers are indeed interested. And while the Steelers are likely very interested, you never know how a draft will play out. If crazy talent falls then do they still select Mike? Probably not. For Mike to pull out for that reason would be a huge calculated risk.

Shawn
01-25-2011, 03:53 PM

Let's fast forward through the Gators season. Mike struggled early with C duties but he still showed he was fundamentally strong and very talented. The Gators didn't have the year they had hoped and Mike's stock wasn't helped by that fact. However, he stood out and with his bowl performance clearly showed that he was a strong candidate for a 1st round pick. With an Senior Bowl invite, combine, and private workouts in front of him there were many rungs on the ladder in reach.

He is far from a Round 1 lock. Wisniewski is a better Center and there are OTs who currently project at playing Guard early in their careers and could be better. If not for the season Maurkice had I don't thing Mike is getting any Round 1 hype.

I still think there is a 50/50 chance the Steelers could get him if they wanted him.

I would agree with your assessment. I think he is likely to go anywhere from high 20's to mid 40's based on his play this season. With that said, if he is there at 32, and no crazy talent has fallen...I think the Steelers will take a long hard look at him.

Mike presents more value to the Steelers than any other team in the NFL for various reasons. First, his presence makes it easier to re-sign Maurkice in the future. Second, non verbal communication would be elite amongst twin brothers working side by side. Third, and most importantly is for morale reasons. Keeping Maurkice happy in the Burgh with the addition of Mike can only help the play of both players.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-25-2011, 03:55 PM

There are two guys out there who have been pretty accurate when it comes to the NFL draft and particularly grading first round talent. It is early in the process but both Mayock & Brandt have Pouncey as Top 25 talent. I have been on record in here saying he was mid second in the middle of the college year. Watching him down the stretch and seeing his performance in the Bowl game has to give him first round consideration. Put on the tape of him playing next to Maurkice in 2009...He has a late first round grade with the versatility he showed in 2010. The Senior Bowl, combine, and private workouts would only push or solidify his stock. Many scouts & FO personnel put alot of weight on the Senior Bowl. It is the closest thing to NFL caliber evaluation before the draft and if Mike went out there and dominated the competition...He would solidify himself as a Top 25 player.

hawaiiansteel
01-25-2011, 03:56 PM
I liked the Tomlin quote where he joked that he hopes Mike Pouncey keeps screwing up center snaps so the Steelers could draft him as a guard... :lol:

Senior Bowl 2011: Florida Guard Mike Pouncey Withdraws from Practice

By Dan Tylicki on January 25, 2011

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/120/243/106422790_crop_340x234.jpg?1295982013

Sam Greenwood/Getty Images

Senior Bowl 2011 is a time for players to increase their draft stock and prove to NFL scouts that they are worthy of a high pick. Mike Pouncey was already coming into the Bowl as the top offensive guard in the draft, but has an opportunity to perhaps jump into the top 15.

Unfortunately, Mike Pouncey withdrew from Senior Bowl events today at the last minute for unknown reasons, meaning that NFL scouts will not have the opportunity to see him work out. While this is not a particularly huge blow, since Pouncey's first-round status is pretty safe, it could likely hurt his stock in various teams' eyes who were considering taking him with a first-round pick.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5844 ... m-practice (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/584483-jay-cutler-wes-welker-australian-open-2011-and-tuesdays-top-sports-stories/entry/44166-senior-bowl-2011-florida-guard-mike-pouncey-withdraws-from-practice)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-25-2011, 04:03 PM
It does make one wonder. I don't know if there is any truth to that as it would take some serious trust on the part of Mike. Think about it, if indeed Mike is positioning for the Steelers to draft him, he would need a very strong indicator that the Steelers are indeed interested. And while the Steelers are likely very interested, you never know how a draft will play out. If crazy talent falls then do they still select Mike? Probably not. For Mike to pull out for that reason would be a huge calculated risk.

Agreed...Calculated risk for almost 99 out of 100! I'm not implying or accusing anyone. But if things you read have any truth and events happen with no reason...If the "1" has a "Sibling" on the other side...Would it be a risk or a reward?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-25-2011, 04:07 PM
I liked the Tomlin quote where he joked that he hopes Mike Pouncey keeps screwing up center snaps so the Steelers could draft him as a guard... :lol:

Senior Bowl 2011: Florida Guard Mike Pouncey Withdraws from Practice

By Dan Tylicki on January 25, 2011

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/120/243/106422790_crop_340x234.jpg?1295982013

Sam Greenwood/Getty Images

Senior Bowl 2011 is a time for players to increase their draft stock and prove to NFL scouts that they are worthy of a high pick. Mike Pouncey was already coming into the Bowl as the top offensive guard in the draft, but has an opportunity to perhaps jump into the top 15.

Unfortunately, Mike Pouncey withdrew from Senior Bowl events today at the last minute for unknown reasons, meaning that NFL scouts will not have the opportunity to see him work out. While this is not a particularly huge blow, since Pouncey's first-round status is pretty safe, it could likely hurt his stock in various teams' eyes who were considering taking him with a first-round pick.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5844 ... m-practice (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/584483-jay-cutler-wes-welker-australian-open-2011-and-tuesdays-top-sports-stories/entry/44166-senior-bowl-2011-florida-guard-mike-pouncey-withdraws-from-practice)
Thanks hawaiiansteel! Didn't see that article.

WoodleyofTroy
01-25-2011, 04:37 PM
in before the Browns trade back into the first round to prevent us from getting him..

Oviedo
01-25-2011, 05:18 PM
in before the Browns trade back into the first round to prevent us from getting him..

The Browns have far greater needs than another OL. OL may be their strongest unit. If they would take Pouncey, a Guard, in Round 1 it explains alot of why they are the Browns and always will suck

RKSteel
01-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Identical twins, hmm, maybe Mike is taking Maurkice's place during the SB and he needs reps with Ben. :lol:

focosteeler
01-25-2011, 05:56 PM
maybe tomlin called and said "hey dont do the senior bowl and run slow and mess up some drills at the combine so no one takes you and we can draft you at 32" :D

Oviedo
01-25-2011, 05:58 PM
maybe tomlin called and said "hey dont do the senior bowl and run slow and mess up some drills at the combine so no one takes you and we can draft you at 32" :D

Let the collusion charges start against the Steelers in 4-3-2-1.....

Shawn
01-25-2011, 06:39 PM

Let the collusion charges start against the Steelers in 4-3-2-1.....

Oh man...I see more fines in our future.

:lol:

Wolfhound45
01-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Not sure about any particular conspiracies. Just know this, the more I see about him, the more I want him. Going on record right now. If he is available at 32, take him. Period. Be prepared to trade up to get him (if necessary) to get him earlier. This choice (in my opinion) will go down as one of the greatest draft moves in Steelers history. Our interior line will be set for the next 8 to 10 years.

Flame away.

:Steel

ramblinjim
01-25-2011, 08:32 PM
.....that sounds like a great interior line to me.

StarSpangledSteeler
01-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Mike Pouncey will not be available at 1:32. If teams could re-draft the 2010 draft, Maurkice would be a top 10 pick. This is the closest thing they'll ever see to a re-draft. A TWIN brother. One year later. Same build. Same skillset. Almost same position. There is a team somewhere out there who will be willing to overdraft Mike because of his "non-bust" potential. I'm hoping that team will be us.

In 2003, we traded a 3rd and a 6th round pick to move up from 1.27 to 1.16 to draft a player we viewed as a potential multi-year pro-bowler in a position of need. (Troy Polamalu). I believe the same line of thinking applies now. We desperately need an elite OG. Mike offers more value to us than any other team. The question is what would it cost to go get him? And would he be worth the loss of "prospects" at this current stage of our team's development?

We don't know where Mike will go, but assuming he goes about where Maurkice did last year (1.18) it will probably cost us a 2nd and a 4th to move up. (And remember, we're talking about the dead bottom of the 2nd and 4th). Based on the history of the Steelers and (the rest of league for that matter) one of those two picks typically will be cut/released/inconsequential anyways. So we are more than likely only losing one pick.

I say we do it. Use our 3rd rounder on a CB or NT. Pick up a serviceable FA to hold us over until next year's draft. Then draft the other position early. Our OL could be:

Starks - Kemo - Pouncey - Pouncey - Adams

or

Starks - Pouncey - Pouncey - Colon - Adams

Sugar
01-26-2011, 12:07 AM
I'm not particularly interested in Mike Pouncey unless he is the BPA when we pick.

Wolfhound45
01-26-2011, 12:13 AM
Excellent analysis StarSpangledSteeler. Thanks for posting.

I am with you. Let's do what is necessary to get this done.

Irongut
01-26-2011, 12:49 AM
I'm not particularly interested in Mike Pouncey unless he is the BPA when we pick.
He'll likely be one of them and at a position of need.

Kemo, Pouncey, Pouncey makes an excellent interior.

focosteeler
01-26-2011, 02:44 AM
its too bad there isn't a third we could have triplets... starks.pouncey.pouncey.pouncey.adams ......god would that be sweet

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Mike Pouncey will not be available at 1:32. If teams could re-draft the 2010 draft, Maurkice would be a top 10 pick. This is the closest thing they'll ever see to a re-draft. A TWIN brother. One year later. Same build. Same skillset. Almost same position. There is a team somewhere out there who will be willing to overdraft Mike because of his "non-bust" potential. I'm hoping that team will be us.

In 2003, we traded a 3rd and a 6th round pick to move up from 1.27 to 1.16 to draft a player we viewed as a potential multi-year pro-bowler in a position of need. (Troy Polamalu). I believe the same line of thinking applies now. We desperately need an elite OG. Mike offers more value to us than any other team. The question is what would it cost to go get him? And would he be worth the loss of "prospects" at this current stage of our team's development?

We don't know where Mike will go, but assuming he goes about where Maurkice did last year (1.18) it will probably cost us a 2nd and a 4th to move up. (And remember, we're talking about the dead bottom of the 2nd and 4th). Based on the history of the Steelers and (the rest of league for that matter) one of those two picks typically will be cut/released/inconsequential anyways. So we are more than likely only losing one pick.

I say we do it. Use our 3rd rounder on a CB or NT. Pick up a serviceable FA to hold us over until next year's draft. Then draft the other position early. Our OL could be:

Starks - Kemo - Pouncey - Pouncey - Adams

or

Starks - Pouncey - Pouncey - Colon - Adams
I agree. He could be out of reach & that is what I said. I didn't go in detail like you but that is what I was hinting to. The further he drops, the better the chance. He makes it into the mid twenties...Start making some calls. If he played in the Senior Bowl, full combine, and Pro Day...He would be a Top 25.

As far as the comparison, they aren't the same. Mike is a little bigger and more of a mauler. Very good on the move and on the 2nd level. His strength is at the point of attack on the LOS. Very good in pass pro but his quickness and agility are not that of Maurkice. Really could be an All Pro G but I think he would only be an average NFL C. He just doesn't have that "snap to punch" that Maurkice has or the lateral ability that Maurkice possesses when he is floating between his Gs in pass pro. Mike will not go where Maurkice was drafted but if he went through the entire process with success, I could see him going from early 20's.

If he is sitting there at 25, start shopping your 3rd to move up. Then come 2nd round, if players you like are gone and there isn't a guy who you thought would have been gone still sitting there...Trade out and get a pick back. The one thing about this years draft is there could be a heavy roster going into the draft. If someone retires, that could impact some things but really the Steelers have someone in line at most. If they retain Woodley & Taylor but Colon leaves...They really don't have an immediate hole no matter who retires. So moving up could be in this years scenario.

The Sodfather
01-26-2011, 09:56 AM

Why would we be interested if he wasn't?

Oviedo
01-26-2011, 12:00 PM

I'm interested if he is there at #32 but there is no way in the world that I give up draft picks to trade up for a OG. You can get very good OG in Rounds 2 and 3.

Sugar
01-26-2011, 12:02 PM

I'm interested if he is there at #32 but there is no way in the world that I give up draft picks to trade up for a OG. You can get very good OG in Rounds 2 and 3.

This is my thinking as well. No need to reach for this guy.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-26-2011, 02:55 PM
I can understand the line of thinking not to trade up. But is they have the same confidence in Mike as they did in Maurkice...I'm all for it.

Just think about this. If you could say #32 & #96 for an "Alan Faneca" type or wait until the 3rd or 4th for a Starks, Essex, Colon, Hills, or an Urbik type...What would you do? Because for as much as the 1st rounder is a risk...So is the 3rd & 4th. We have seen that. Yes missing on a 1st & a pick is bigger than a 3rd or 4th but the reward? I don't have a problem with them moving up if he is their guy & they will know. The Steelers need a complete RG to take away the handing on the run game, handle 3-4 NT, and one who could get to the 2nd level. He isn't on the team right now and RG is in need of a 2011 starter and to solidify the future. I HOPE he slips all the way down but I fear that won't happen unless he doesn't work out at the combine and limits his Pro Day workout. I'll tell you this, if that happens, he is positioning himself.

Sugar
01-26-2011, 03:01 PM
IMO, Guard is a need, but not as much a Corner or even NT. If he falls to us, great. If not, no big deal to me.

After drafting an OL guy last year, I'm kinda hoping we can get an athlete to help the D.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-26-2011, 03:09 PM
IMO, Guard is a need, but not as much a Corner or even NT. If he falls to us, great. If not, no big deal to me.

After drafting an OL guy last year, I'm kinda hoping we can get an athlete to help the D.

CB absolutely! We need to retain Taylor and get another starter. NT is another need but not a starter for 2011. Need a "groomer". I like PHIL TAYLOR. Just don't know if he will last that long. I'm also not expecting RAS-I DOWLING to put up Chris Cook numbers at the combine and his off 2010 season might have him slipping. But I agree...They are the big needs right now.

Oviedo
01-26-2011, 03:15 PM

CB absolutely! We need to retain Taylor and get another starter. NT is another need but not a starter for 2011. Need a "groomer". I like PHIL TAYLOR. Just don't know if he will last that long. I'm also not expecting RAS-I DOWLING to put up Chris Cook numbers at the combine and his off 2010 season might have him slipping. But I agree...They are the big needs right now.

If we go OL or CB in Round 1 it is a no lose pick because we have needs in both areas. However, I'm beginning to wonder how serious the need is on the OL with the performance of the current players and Starks and Colon coming back. I could see their coming back causing the FO to view the OL needs as less critical.

No way do I think they assess the needs at CB as anything less than a critical need.

DL is probably in the plans for Round 2 or 3, but they are unlikely to see the field much as rookies anyway while they learn.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-26-2011, 03:48 PM
i'm with Ovi.

no way do you give up picks for an OG. just not good sense. you can win with later round guys on the OL if you coach em up, and Kugs looks very capable in that area.

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2011, 04:16 PM
i'm with Ovi.

no way do you give up picks for an OG. just not good sense. you can win with later round guys on the OL if you coach em up, and Kugs looks very capable in that area.

If Eddie Spaghetti and Oviedo can actually agree on something, perhaps there is hope for Crash and Irongut! :mrgreen:

Eddie Spaghetti
01-26-2011, 04:43 PM
one of these days he is going to appreciate Ramon Foster.

:Cheers

Oviedo
01-26-2011, 04:46 PM

Why bother? We'll have Mike Pouncey and Foster will still be a back up. :wink:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-26-2011, 04:49 PM
It wasn't only Pouncey being coached up that earned him the starting spot...He had something before he got here. So how many guys do we keep on the roster in the reserve role of the OL waiting to be coached up before we find an adequate starter? Everyone has an opinion. I was waiting for the "coached up" OL to float to the top over the last several years. Seeing what Pouncey did to the offense and "being pretty darn certain" that another piece of the puzzle at a weak position is within your grasps...I'm spending the extra pick. It is hard to speculate not knowing what will happen with Colon in FA, if Starks's ability is in jeopardy after the injury, if Adams will retire, and what they think of Chris Scott. But if Colon leaves, Starks is fine, Adams plays another year, and they feel Scott is still a project....I don't see how Pouncey would not be an option if he was close or there at their pick. That's my opinion.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-26-2011, 04:55 PM

Why bother? We'll have Mike Pouncey and Foster will still be a back up. :wink:

so you say.

why you continually beat this kid up makes little sense to me. you know he was an UDFA don't you? some of the hate he gets makes me think he was a 1st round draft pick. you just don't like the UPS drivers i guess. who can forget the scorn you piled on Isaac Redman.

Ramon Foster has been a valuable member of a football team that is going to the Super Bowl. if we draft Pouncey, I have no problem with it, but i appreciate what this kid from Tennessee has brought to the table. his play has vastly outperformed his paycheck, unlike the other OG on the starting OL.

:tt1

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-26-2011, 05:04 PM

I'm extremely pleased knowing Foster would be first G in if someone goes down. He has performed well this season. Just doesn't have good enough feet to be a complete G. Maybe he could continue to develop into a RT. If he could work on his kick slide, his long arms could be useful and his point of attack run blocking could help on the edge. He just can't pull or block on the 2nd level consistanly because he struggles with change of direction. Get a guy over him and I think he will be better. I want to see Chris Scott hit the field. I think he has more upside than Foster. In his TN games he looked like he may have better feet than Foster. I think he would benefit from dropping some weight. Foster looks like a bit of a long strider in motion but Scott looks like he can chop and change direction better. He might have some G ability in him but WE won't know until he plays.

grotonsteel
01-26-2011, 05:29 PM

This is my thinking as well. No need to reach for this guy.

:Agree

If he is the BPA at 32 draft him but i would not like to trade picks from Rd2 or Rd3 for an OG.