PDA

View Full Version : Our offense needs to quit being a bunch of scoreboard hawks

Mister Pittsburgh
01-25-2011, 12:39 PM
It is pretty pathetic, in my opinion, that we put up 17 first half offensive points on this team and couldn't even muster a FG in the second half. Our offense needs to quit watching the freaking scoreboard and deciding playcalling off the time left on the clock and what the score is. They do this every time we get a freaking lead. Shut it down. Shut it down. Then our D gets spent spending the entire second half on the field. They didn't learn their lesson from last season and almost blew it.

They act like you can turn it on and off as you need it. When you got the momentum, keep it, dont' hand it away and play not to lose. We played one dominant half and then a half 'Not to lose' and we almost walked away losers.

We try that against Rodgers and the Packers, we might be trying to rely on Ben with the one final drive magic he sometimes pulls out of his bag of tricks.

snarky
01-25-2011, 01:20 PM
I thought we moved the ball well enough in the third quarter. If Ben doesn't throw that deep interception on 2nd and 11, we might have come away with a field goal. In the 4th, the big play was the safety. If we just run the ball and get one first down from there the air is almost completely out of the game.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Steelers have no idea how to handle a lead. Stick with what got you the lead, and you will be far better off than focusing on burning the clock to the Nth degree. Same goes for the defense.

So far we have played two good 30 minute segments of games. Against the Packers it will take 60 minutes.

Who here didn't think before the game that we need to get a lead on them to put Sanchez into a mode where he has to pass to catch up so we can pin our ears back? We were like rabid dogs on him in the first half....then a weak zone prevent horsecrap approach in the second half.

proudpittsburgher
01-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Steelers have no idea how to handle a lead. Stick with what got you the lead, and you will be far better off than focusing on burning the clock to the Nth degree. Same goes for the defense.

So far we have played two good 30 minute segments of games. Against the Packers it will take 60 minutes.

Who here didn't think before the game that we need to get a lead on them to put Sanchez into a mode where he has to pass to catch up so we can pin our ears back? We were like rabid dogs on him in the first half....then a weak zone prevent horsecrap approach in the second half.

Didn't Bill Cowher have some oscenely impressive record when his team was leading at the half. Something like 121-5 or something like that. I would say the Steelers know what to do with a lead.

snarky
01-25-2011, 01:29 PM
I wish we had been playing some sort of prevent on the Holmes TD.

NWNewell
01-25-2011, 01:32 PM
It is pretty pathetic, in my opinion, that we put up 17 first half offensive points on this team and couldn't even muster a FG in the second half. Our offense needs to quit watching the freaking scoreboard and deciding playcalling off the time left on the clock and what the score is. They do this every time we get a freaking lead. Shut it down. Shut it down. Then our D gets spent spending the entire second half on the field. They didn't learn their lesson from last season and almost blew it.

They act like you can turn it on and off as you need it. When you got the momentum, keep it, dont' hand it away and play not to lose. We played one dominant half and then a half 'Not to lose' and we almost walked away losers.

We try that against Rodgers and the Packers, we might be trying to rely on Ben with the one final drive magic he sometimes pulls out of his bag of tricks.

I'm pretty sure we went 12-4 and are going to the superbowl using this strategy. Not to mention it's our 3rd one in the past 6 years. Perhaps this strategy also plays a part in the Steelers legendary ability to hold a large second half lead. Just a thought.

Which team's strategy, whom will be watching the superbowl from the couch, would you like to adopt?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-25-2011, 01:38 PM

I'm pretty sure we went 12-4 and are going to the superbowl using this strategy. Not to mention it's our 3rd one in the past 6 years. Perhaps this strategy also plays a part in the Steelers legendary ability to hold a large second half lead. Just a thought.

Which team's strategy, whom will be watching the superbowl from the couch, would you like to adopt?

All I am saying is I would like to see the Steelers play 60 minutes. I am sure you guys would feel this strategy was just as good had the Jets punched it in from the 2. I am sure that was all part of the coaches strategy though.

Wolfhound45
01-25-2011, 01:47 PM

We had a decent defense called. Ike slipped and Holmes called for the ball. It happens.

proudpittsburgher
01-25-2011, 01:51 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":frszkicz]It is pretty pathetic, in my opinion, that we put up 17 first half offensive points on this team and couldn't even muster a FG in the second half. Our offense needs to quit watching the freaking scoreboard and deciding playcalling off the time left on the clock and what the score is. They do this every time we get a freaking lead. Shut it down. Shut it down. Then our D gets spent spending the entire second half on the field. They didn't learn their lesson from last season and almost blew it.

All I am saying is I would like to see the Steelers play 60 minutes. I am sure you guys would feel this strategy was just as good had the Jets punched it in from the 2. I am sure that was all part of the coaches strategy though.[/quote:frszkicz]

History shows that teams don't come back against the Steelers. So if they Jets score and come back to win this game, that means the years of data collected that showed the Steelers turtle ball and defensive method works would be proven incorrect?

feltdizz
01-25-2011, 01:53 PM
I thought we moved the ball well enough in the third quarter. If Ben doesn't throw that deep interception on 2nd and 11, we might have come away with a field goal. In the 4th, the big play was the safety. If we just run the ball and get one first down from there the air is almost completely out of the game.

:Agree

it was a TD and Ben threw a duck.

Wolfhound45
01-25-2011, 01:57 PM

:Agree

it was a TD and Ben threw a duck.

Yup. Typical Ben "street ball" play. The only thing wrong on that play (and Ben does drive me crazy when he plays that way) is that the WR breaks inside rather than outside. If he break outside it is either a TD or an incompletion.

And plays like that are why Ben has two SB rings and I have none.

:Steel

NWNewell
01-25-2011, 02:00 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":2xqq0ltk]It is pretty pathetic, in my opinion, that we put up 17 first half offensive points on this team and couldn't even muster a FG in the second half. Our offense needs to quit watching the freaking scoreboard and deciding playcalling off the time left on the clock and what the score is. They do this every time we get a freaking lead. Shut it down. Shut it down. Then our D gets spent spending the entire second half on the field. They didn't learn their lesson from last season and almost blew it.

All I am saying is I would like to see the Steelers play 60 minutes. I am sure you guys would feel this strategy was just as good had the Jets punched it in from the 2. I am sure that was all part of the coaches strategy though.[/quote:2xqq0ltk]

If's and But's.... You assume we would loose and couldn't advance the ball (and/or score) if we had too like Ben did to maintain possession on the final drive.

They did play 60 minutes.... but the second 30 was played with a completely different strategy than the first 30.... and rightfully so. You don't take high risk plays with you've got a 21 point lead. You make them work their tail off to earn everything... especially with this defense.

But say you are correct and we end up losing. No strategy is perfect and will work every time. But the Steelers' strategy has worked pretty well lately. 2 Lombardi's, 5 AFCC appearances in the past 10 years. And they pull out a win when holding a two possession led in the second half/4th quarter better than any other team in recent history.

But I'm sure you know a better way.... :Cheers

Wolfhound45
01-25-2011, 02:06 PM
You don't take high risk plays with you've got a 21 point lead. You make them work their tail off to earn everything... especially with this defense.

This.

It is about possessions in the second half. We had a three possession lead on them heading into the third quarter. You play completely different. Much less risk. You do not want to give them a cheap, easy score (and reduce your possession advantage). Make them earn everything. We actually played it perfectly (to include only giving up two points after the goal line stand).

The biggest dagger in the heart of the Jets was to hold the ball as long as they did and not score a point!

snarky
01-25-2011, 02:10 PM

We had a decent defense called. Ike slipped and Holmes called for the ball. It happens.

I agree but the point I was trying to gently make is that we did come out in the second half and play a pretty much straight up D on the first drive. They made a quick strike on Ike falling down and that got them back into the game pretty quickly. It wasn't until later that we went softer on D. It just happened that we got burned on the opening drive.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-25-2011, 02:11 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":2jd39wsh]It is pretty pathetic, in my opinion, that we put up 17 first half offensive points on this team and couldn't even muster a FG in the second half. Our offense needs to quit watching the freaking scoreboard and deciding playcalling off the time left on the clock and what the score is. They do this every time we get a freaking lead. Shut it down. Shut it down. Then our D gets spent spending the entire second half on the field. They didn't learn their lesson from last season and almost blew it.

All I am saying is I would like to see the Steelers play 60 minutes. I am sure you guys would feel this strategy was just as good had the Jets punched it in from the 2. I am sure that was all part of the coaches strategy though.

History shows that teams don't come back against the Steelers. So if they Jets score and come back to win this game, that means the years of data collected that showed the Steelers turtle ball and defensive method works would be proven incorrect?[/quote:2jd39wsh]

Did you watch last season at all? How did the Steelers look holding leads last year? I guess all those years of collecting data didn't apply to last year.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-25-2011, 02:14 PM
You guys seem to be forgetting how this awesome strategy worked for us last year. Pretty much the same way it worked for us Sunday other than they couldn't punch it in from the 2 yard line.

NWNewell
01-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Did you watch last season at all? How did the Steelers look holding leads last year? I guess all those years of collecting data didn't apply to last year.

Most (if not all) were 1 possession games going into the 4th quarter and our defense did fail to stop them. But a 1 possession game and a 2/3 possession game in the 4th are completely different animals.

snarky
01-25-2011, 02:15 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":3oq0tdv8]It is pretty pathetic, in my opinion, that we put up 17 first half offensive points on this team and couldn't even muster a FG in the second half. Our offense needs to quit watching the freaking scoreboard and deciding playcalling off the time left on the clock and what the score is. They do this every time we get a freaking lead. Shut it down. Shut it down. Then our D gets spent spending the entire second half on the field. They didn't learn their lesson from last season and almost blew it.

All I am saying is I would like to see the Steelers play 60 minutes. I am sure you guys would feel this strategy was just as good had the Jets punched it in from the 2. I am sure that was all part of the coaches strategy though.[/quote:3oq0tdv8]

But they didn't punch it in. Perhaps if they had the play calling would have become more aggressive. We'll never know. I think by the time the Jets reached the two down by 14, the worst we were looking at was a tie ball game with the ball in Ben's hands, three time outs and time on the clock.

The coaching staff bet that the Jets couldn't come up with the offensive plays to win. And they were right. Personally, I trust Tomlin enough to know when to be aggressive and when to force the other team to make the plays. The two passes on our last drive tell me this is different from early in Ben's career when Cowher/Whiz would take the ball out of his hands completely.

Ghost
01-25-2011, 02:18 PM
One score in the second half isnt' too much to ask, even with a 3 score lead, even understanding they were running no matter what and bleeding clock. It is pathetic. Just one score deflates the Jets.

And Rodgers is much, much better than Sanchez and can score at will. The offense will need to be engaged for the entire game. he may throw for over 400 yards in 2 weeks.

As for holding a lead. Look at last Super Bowl. The defense sure as hell didn't hold a lead and only a phenominal drive by Ben and one of the greatest Super Bowl catches ever got the W.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-25-2011, 02:22 PM
JFC....you have a 100 million dollar QB, a running game that was working, a stud TE, WR that have been playing great, and a 21 point lead. This isn't the days of Bettis and whatever crap QB we had at the time where we couldn't move the football. This is a more potent offensive attack.

So keep piling on the points. With a 21 point lead, even if they pick one off and take it to the house I will take the odds of us getting more points to keep or extend the F';ing lead over sitting on our hands, punting to them, keeping our D on teh field tiring them out, and relying on them to have a goalline stand at the 2 to shut the door. THAT is idiotic thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

snarky
01-25-2011, 02:23 PM
One score in the second half isnt' too much to ask, even with a 3 score lead, even understanding they were running no matter what and bleeding clock. It is pathetic. Just one score deflates the Jets.

Can't disagree with this statement. However, as I said above we were moving the ball pretty well in the 3rd and were very close to FG range when Ben threw the deep INT. If we had truly been playing turtle ball, that would have been three runs up the gut and kick the FG. Ben definitely needs to not throw that INT there.

Wolfhound45
01-25-2011, 02:23 PM

I agree but the point I was trying to gently make is that we did come out in the second half and play a pretty much straight up D on the first drive. They made a quick strike on Ike falling down and that got them back into the game pretty quickly. It wasn't until later that we went softer on D. It just happened that we got burned on the opening drive.

Good point. My bad. Just looked a lot worse when it happened.

snarky
01-25-2011, 02:27 PM
The 100 million dollar QB was given an opportunity to put the game away in the 3rd quarter and he threw an INT.

Crash
01-25-2011, 02:29 PM
They assumed the Jets would quit and they shut it down too early in the 3rd. We actually gave the Jets life after we prevented and gave them a FG. Then Ike slips and they get 10 unanswered.

proudpittsburgher
01-25-2011, 02:41 PM

Of course I did, and that does nothing more than support my point. We had a down year where we lost three or four leads late in the game. So, based on a statistical anomoly, you are ready to completely change the way we do things? React too quickly much?

I'm not saying what the Steelers have done should always be done. Hell, on Sunday, they went away with tradition and passed twice in that last drive when they normally would have run the clock down. I liked it, loved it actually . . . but my point is, for the overwhelming majority fo the time, you get a lead, and play it smart and get the win. What they do is not wrong.

Ghost
01-25-2011, 02:48 PM
They assumed the Jets would quit and they shut it down too early in the 3rd. We actually gave the Jets life after we prevented and gave them a FG. Then Ike slips and they get 10 unanswered.

I don't think this point gets enough attention. It sucked they marched down and put 3 on the board following the defensive TD. Still riding high but pitching a shutout and up 4 scores would have been great to start the 2nd half. Should have stuck with the D that was crushing them. Just sacked him twice. Keep coming. You ended up giving points anyway.

snarky
01-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Here are all the offensive plays from the second half. Given that we had been moving the ball on the ground pretty well in the first half, I don't really see anything wrong with the play-calling.

In my view we had three major drive killers offensively in the 2nd half. The INT, the sack on Ben on 1st and ten and the fumbled snap in the end zone. I don't see how any of those can be attributed to turtle ball or overly conservative play calling.

12:13 left in the third quarter
1st and 10 at PIT 28 B.Roethlisberger scrambles right tackle to PIT 32 for 4 yards (M.Devito).
2nd and 6 at PIT 32 R.Mendenhall left guard to PIT 36 for 4 yards (S.Pouha).
3rd and 2 at PIT 36 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete short right to A.Brown.
4th and 2 at PIT 36 (Punt formation) J.Kapinos punts 40 yards to NYJ 24, Center-G.Warren, downed by PIT-R.Mundy. PENALTY on NYJ-J.Westerman, Roughing the Kicker, 15 yards, enforced at PIT 36 - No Play.
1st and 10 at NYJ 49 R.Mendenhall up the middle to NYJ 46 for 3 yards (M.Devito).
2nd and 7 at NYJ 46 R.Mendenhall right guard to NYJ 45 for 1 yard (B.Pool, B.Scott).
3rd and 6 at NYJ 45 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass short middle to M.Moore to NYJ 36 for 9 yards (A.Cromartie).
1st and 10 at NYJ 36 B.Roethlisberger FUMBLES (Aborted) at NYJ 36, and recovers at NYJ 37. B.Roethlisberger to NYJ 37 for no gain (S.Pouha).
2nd and 11 at NYJ 37 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass deep left intended for E.Sanders INTERCEPTED by B.Pool at NYJ 5. B.Pool pushed ob at NYJ 14 for 9 yards (H.Ward).

6:44 left in third quarter
1st and 10 at PIT 30 R.Mendenhall up the middle to PIT 30 for no gain (M.Devito, D.Harris).
2nd and 10 at PIT 30 R.Mendenhall left tackle to PIT 36 for 6 yards (B.Pool).
3rd and 4 at PIT 36 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger scrambles left guard to PIT 41 for 5 yards (S.Ellis, D.Harris).
1st and 10 at PIT 41 R.Mendenhall up the middle to PIT 40 for -1 yards (M.Devito).
2nd and 11 at PIT 40 R.Mendenhall right end to PIT 48 for 8 yards (E.Smith).
3rd and 3 at PIT 48 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger scrambles left end to NYJ 47 for 5 yards (B.Pool). PENALTY on NYJ-A.Cromartie, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at NYJ 47.
1st and 10 at NYJ 42 B.Roethlisberger sacked at NYJ 49 for -7 yards (C.Pace).
2nd and 17 at NYJ 49 (Shotgun) M.Moore right guard to PIT 48 for -3 yards (D.Harris).
3rd and 20 at PIT 48 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 43 for -5 yards (T.Pryce).
4th and 25 at PIT 43 (Punt formation) J.Kapinos punts 38 yards to NYJ 19, Center-G.Warren, fair catch by J.Cotchery.

7:44 left in fourth quarter
1st and 10 at PIT 1 B.Roethlisberger FUMBLES (Aborted) at PIT 0, and recovers at PIT -1. B.Roethlisberger tackled in End Zone, SAFETY (M.Devito). 12 24

3:06 left in fourth quarter
1st and 10 at PIT 41 R.Mendenhall right tackle to PIT 42 for 1 yard (B.Pool, D.Revis).
Timeout #1 by NYJ at 02:50.
2nd and 9 at PIT 42 B.Roethlisberger pass short right to H.Miller to NYJ 44 for 14 yards (A.Cromartie).
Timeout #2 by NYJ at 02:43.
1st and 10 at NYJ 44 R.Mendenhall right tackle to NYJ 42 for 2 yards (J.Taylor).
Timeout #3 by NYJ at 02:38.
2nd and 8 at NYJ 42 R.Mendenhall right end to NYJ 40 for 2 yards (D.Harris, B.Thomas).
3rd and 6 at NYJ 40 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass short right to A.Brown pushed ob at NYJ 26 for 14 yards (E.Smith).
1st and 10 at NYJ 26 B.Roethlisberger kneels to NYJ 27 for -1 yards.
2nd and 11 at NYJ 27 B.Roethlisberger kneels to NYJ 31 for -4 yards.
3rd and 15 at NYJ 31 B.Roethlisberger kneels to NYJ 32 for -1 yards.

Ghost
01-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Snarky - good discussion. I guess my comment would be that coming out in the 2nd half the jets had made adjustments to sell out to stop the run and the Steelers still ran the ball on every 1st down and every 2nd down but 1 with the line stacked. Why not throw a couple of passes to try and beat that?

Hey we won so this is all moot but still fun to chat about!

Mister Pittsburgh
01-25-2011, 03:09 PM

Of course I did, and that does nothing more than support my point. We had a down year where we lost three or four leads late in the game. So, based on a statistical anomoly, you are ready to completely change the way we do things? React too quickly much?

I'm not saying what the Steelers have done should always be done. Hell, on Sunday, they went away with tradition and passed twice in that last drive when they normally would have run the clock down. I liked it, loved it actually . . . but my point is, for the overwhelming majority fo the time, you get a lead, and play it smart and get the win. What they do is not wrong.

This is a completely different team than the one Cowher had which compiled the numbers you keep referencing. You think a line with Hartings and Faneca with a real FB and Jerome Bettis is only slightly different than Doug Legursky, Kemo, Foster manning the middle, with no FB but a TE playing FB, and a 230lb running back? Just a little different Eh. So the team we currently have is the one that blew lead after lead last year, and tried hard on Sunday.

We won, so all is good.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-25-2011, 03:11 PM

I don't think this point gets enough attention. It sucked they marched down and put 3 on the board following the defensive TD. Still riding high but pitching a shutout and up 4 scores would have been great to start the 2nd half. Should have stuck with the D that was crushing them. Just sacked him twice. Keep coming. You ended up giving points anyway.

Thats what I am saying. Why go away from what is working so well?

snarky
01-25-2011, 03:14 PM

OK, I'm confused. From the thread title I thought you were talking about the offense.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-25-2011, 03:17 PM

OK, I'm confused. From the thread title I thought you were talking about the offense.

Talking about both really. Offensively we run into 8 in the box and defensively we sit on our hands and play prevent. First half on D we were coming at him from all angles and he was crapping the bed. Keep it coming. Hell, we ended the first half by ripping his arm off and taking the fumble in for a defensive score but them don't blitz in teh 2nd half? He got way to comfy back there in teh 2nd half. And with the way we were running the ball in the first half, play action pass should of been there the entire 2nd half. We just didn't go play action and actually handed it off until 3rd down.

snarky
01-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Snarky - good discussion. I guess my comment would be that coming out in the 2nd half the jets had made adjustments to sell out to stop the run and the Steelers still ran the ball on every 1st down and every 2nd down but 1 with the line stacked. Why not throw a couple of passes to try and beat that?

Hey we won so this is all moot but still fun to chat about!

We were definitely run-heavy on second down. But with the exception of the series where we were bailed out by the roughing the punter call, we converted the 3rd down every single series where we ran on second down. To me that is the ideal when you are playing with a 10+ point lead in the 2nd half. Simply move the ball and the game should take care of itself.

Where we got into trouble was turnovers.

And as far as first down goes. Prior to the last drive (where it was pretty much a given to run on first down), we had five first downs where there wasn't a fumble snap. Of those, we passed on two of them.

And I agree, I'm not looking to piss in anyone's cornflakes here. Just having a discussion and stating my opinion.

snarky
01-25-2011, 03:27 PM
[quote=Crash]They assumed the Jets would quit and they shut it down too early in the 3rd. We actually gave the Jets life after we prevented and gave them a FG. Then Ike slips and they get 10 unanswered.

Talking about both really. Offensively we run into 8 in the box and defensively we sit on our hands and play prevent. First half on D we were coming at him from all angles and he was crapping the bed. Keep it coming. Hell, we ended the first half by ripping his arm off and taking the fumble in for a defensive score but them don't blitz in teh 2nd half? He got way to comfy back there in teh 2nd half. And with the way we were running the ball in the first half, play action pass should of been there the entire 2nd half. We just didn't go play action and actually handed it off until 3rd down.[/quote:2lgojrw5]

OK, but I'm pretty sure we did play straight up D in the third quarter. They burned us for a pretty quick strike on their first 2nd half drive. Then they went 3 and out in the third. Even early in the 4th they had to go for it on 4th and 1 to keep that drive going. So it's not as though the D was just giving them 8 yard pass plays on every down.

Maybe you are right that there were fewer/no blitzes being called. I don't know. But at the same time, we weren't just giving them intermediate pass play or anything like that.

NW Steeler
01-25-2011, 03:45 PM
But say you are correct and we end up losing. No strategy is perfect and will work every time. But the Steelers' strategy has worked pretty well lately. 2 Lombardi's, 5 AFCC appearances in the past 10 years. And they pull out a win when holding a two possession led in the second half/4th quarter better than any other team in recent history.

But I'm sure you know a better way.... :Cheers

Troy would like to know what a Lombardi is. :wink:

Sugar
01-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Weren't the Steelers pretty much in FG range when they ran out the clock anyway? It seems to me that if the point had been just to come up with more points we could have had at least 6 in FG's alone.

It also seems to me the while Legursky did a Yoemans job in filling in at Center, he still wasn't like Pouncey. There were a couple snap issues aside from the one on the safefy.

NorthCoast
01-26-2011, 01:55 PM
After watching the replay last nite I have to agree the offensive playcalling didn't change all that much in the 2nd half. BUT, two things did change as others have noted; first half was pretty much mistake free but the 2nd (on both sides of the ball) was not. Second, the Jets defense completely changed in the 2nd half where everyone moved up much closer to the line (and this should not have been a surprise given the 1st half results).
Bottom line, in the 2nd half, rather than scoring, the Steelers made mistakes.

(BTW, I don't think LeBeau actually went to 'prevent' until fairly late in the 4th qtr. There was definitely a mix of press and zone coverage well through the 3rd quarter.)

SteelTorch
01-26-2011, 11:59 PM
Why do some people here seem to believe that having a better offense would make our team worse? :roll: