PDA

View Full Version : This trumps any bad play calling Arians ever did..

Dee Dub
01-25-2011, 12:31 AM
"What's rewarding,'' Arians said, "is that Ben saw what I saw in training camp. I saw Emmanuel Sanders [a third-round pick] and Antonio playing well, and I told Ben, 'These kids are gonna help us in December.' I coached him, rode 'em really hard. I was unmerciful. But Ben saw it early, saw how good they could be. I said to Ben, 'You hug 'em, I'll cuss 'em,' and it's worked out. They've become good players for us.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... ?eref=sihp (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/01/23/championships/index.html?eref=sihp)

This to me supercedes any horrible play call he has ever made. And it makes Arians a very valuable coach to have. I am glad I read this. Sometimes there's more to coaching than play calling. Way to go coach!!! :Clap

flippy
01-25-2011, 12:40 AM
Good find. I liked hearing Ben say he trusts all his receivers equally. He doesn't care if it's 17, 86, 88, 84, 82, 83, 89, etc. He trusts they'll make a play for him.

It's really amazing that Ben's gone to Brown the last 2 playoff games to seal the win.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-25-2011, 12:45 AM
I read in two sources, (sorry no links here, they'll probably show up soon) that Brown was at least the 3rd, possibly the 4th read yesterday. Hines #1, and I think it went Heath then ??? then ???. But definitely not the 1st or 2nd read.

Crash
01-25-2011, 12:46 AM
Even last year Ben was throwing passes in crunch time to Tyler freaking Grisham.

Ben plays favorites on offense. He throws the ball to the open receiver.

Starlifter
01-25-2011, 01:47 AM
just finished watching the replay. what was special about the last pass to brown was not that ben threw it, it was how the young receiver worked and made a move on the LB to gain separation. watch it in slow motion, thing of beauty.

and I agree about the title. I actually had no problems with the turtle in the second half. yep, it caused stress but airing it out is exactly how the rats let us back in the game (not that I'm comparing ben to elmo). they took the air out of the ball, burned the clock and when they finally needed a few first downs put the ball back in bens hands and in the air. gutsy play calling. sanchez never gets back on the field.

on the down side, if coach T thinks 24 will be enough against green bay........

AngryAsian
01-25-2011, 04:42 AM
We win this Super Bowl, you'll see Hines ride off into the sunset and our starting three could be Wallace, Brown and Sanders... how freaking scary (good) would that be?

proudpittsburgher
01-25-2011, 09:03 AM
I read in two sources, (sorry no links here, they'll probably show up soon) that Brown was at least the 3rd, possibly the 4th read yesterday. Hines #1, and I think it went Heath then ??? then ???. But definitely not the 1st or 2nd read.

He came from the opposite side of the field, so when Ben rolled out to the right, I have a hard time believing that Brown could have been in the top three reads. I know I heard Ben saying Hines was the one read, (I remember seeing El a little deeper down field, but he WAS on the right so I am guessing he was among the top three reads) . . . I would just have to see who else went to the right. I have to think that Brown's speed and quick release off the line was the only thing that put him in position to become a valid read on the play, otherwise Ben would have had to throw too far against his body to get to him. As they say, speed kills. What impressed me, was that he obviously went all out ot get in position, but had the wherewithall to concentrate and slow down to make the catch.

Starlifter
01-25-2011, 09:53 AM

He came from the opposite side of the field, so when Ben rolled out to the right, I have a hard time believing that Brown could have been in the top three reads. I know I heard Ben saying Hines was the one read, (I remember seeing El a little deeper down field, but he WAS on the right so I am guessing he was among the top three reads) . . . I would just have to see who else went to the right. I have to think that Brown's speed and quick release off the line was the only thing that put him in position to become a valid read on the play, otherwise Ben would have had to throw too far against his body to get to him. As they say, speed kills. What impressed me, was that he obviously went all out ot get in position, but had the wherewithall to concentrate and slow down to make the catch.

as I was saying above watch the replay on brown. he came out from the bunch on the left did a short cross and stopped. The LB bit on it, rushed forward to make a check and brown O'le'd him past and used his speed to get 3 yards of separation. It was gorgeous.

JDSteeler
01-25-2011, 10:36 AM
"What's rewarding,'' Arians said, "is that Ben saw what I saw in training camp. I saw Emmanuel Sanders [a third-round pick] and Antonio playing well, and I told Ben, 'These kids are gonna help us in December.' I coached him, rode 'em really hard. I was unmerciful. But Ben saw it early, saw how good they could be. I said to Ben, 'You hug 'em, I'll cuss 'em,' and it's worked out. They've become good players for us.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... ?eref=sihp (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/01/23/championships/index.html?eref=sihp)

This to me supercedes any horrible play call he has ever made. And it makes Arians a very valuable coach to have. I am glad I read this. Sometimes there's more to coaching than play calling. Way to go coach!!! :Clap

Well it's a tiny bit funny, but that's about it...

The 2nd half play-calling vs Jets was sad and chicken-sh!t, and that's saying it nicely...

If the Steeeelers get another big lead at halftime, I'm gonna be stressing even more
than the Jets game!!!!

The Pack have an explosive offense, and if the Steeeeeelers play conservatively, the
lead will be gone quickly...

Arianus HAS to know that he can't sit on a lead!!!

CAN'T WAIT til he's friggin gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JD

Iron Shiek
01-25-2011, 10:46 AM

as I was saying above watch the replay on brown. he came out from the bunch on the left did a short cross and stopped. The LB bit on it, rushed forward to make a check and brown O'le'd him past and used his speed to get 3 yards of separation. It was gorgeous.

Yup, great adjustment by Brown, and equally great throw by Ben. He "pulled" Brown towards an open spot where only he was going to catch it. Just excellent execution on the part of WR and QB there.

ikestops85
01-25-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm not a huge Arians supporter but I think his play calling has improved tremendously in the last 4 games or so. His best call of the day ended in an interception but had we executed I think it would have gone a long way.

I'm talking about the 4th and 1 screen pass to Mendy. If Ben makes a good throw that play goes for big yards. As it was Mendy should have caught the ball and he easily could have had the first down.

I don't think Arians turtled in the 2nd half. It's just that plays that worked in the 1st half didn't in the 2nd half. I think a big reason why was the absence of Pouncey. Not only his skill at blocking but making the line calls. I think within a couple of years Pouncey is going to be to the offense what Troy is to the defense.

Doogie36
01-25-2011, 04:16 PM
You mean we dont need to go after Steve Smith? :stirpot

say it aint so??? LOL

Crash
01-25-2011, 04:21 PM
The Packers were explosive for a quarter. In Atlanta.

Funny how no one wants to mention how they were down to wire the in Philly and in Chicago.

We win like that and media treats us like we lost.

Keep hyping the Pack. They did that to them in 1997 when they played Denver.

Then the pressure kicked their ass as much as Terrell Davis did.

RuthlessBurgher
01-25-2011, 04:29 PM
just finished watching the replay. what was special about the last pass to brown was not that ben threw it, it was how the young receiver worked and made a move on the LB to gain separation. watch it in slow motion, thing of beauty.

and I agree about the title. I actually had no problems with the turtle in the second half. yep, it caused stress but airing it out is exactly how the rats let us back in the game (not that I'm comparing ben to elmo). they took the air out of the ball, burned the clock and when they finally needed a few first downs put the ball back in bens hands and in the air. gutsy play calling. sanchez never gets back on the field.

Elmo? Elmo is fuzzy, red, cute, and ticklish. Flacco looks like Bert, who is clearly evil.

http://chnm.gmu.edu/history/faculty/kelly/blogs/h696f05/archives/bert4.gifhttp://www.bertisevil.tv/img/laden.jpghttp://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/parenting/2007/08/21/bert.bmp

Say what you want about Arians, but be sure to get your Sesame Street Muppets straight! :P

Shawn
01-25-2011, 04:38 PM
I'm not a huge Arians supporter but I think his play calling has improved tremendously in the last 4 games or so. His best call of the day ended in an interception but had we executed I think it would have gone a long way.

I'm talking about the 4th and 1 screen pass to Mendy. If Ben makes a good throw that play goes for big yards. As it was Mendy should have caught the ball and he easily could have had the first down.

I don't think Arians turtled in the 2nd half. It's just that plays that worked in the 1st half didn't in the 2nd half. I think a big reason why was the absence of Pouncey. Not only his skill at blocking but making the line calls. I think within a couple of years Pouncey is going to be to the offense what Troy is to the defense.

I'm right with your line of thinking. I have never been a huge Arians fan but his play calling looks better. Execution is certainly better.

JAR
01-25-2011, 04:40 PM

Elmo? Elmo is fuzzy, red, cute, and ticklish. Flacco looks like Bert, who is clearly evil.

http://chnm.gmu.edu/history/faculty/kelly/blogs/h696f05/archives/bert4.gifhttp://www.bertisevil.tv/img/laden.jpghttp://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/parenting/2007/08/21/bert.bmp

Say what you want about Arians, but be sure to get your Sesame Street Muppets straight! :P

I love the flacco, er, uh, Bert is Evil site... funny stuff.

~CRUNCH!!!~
01-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Based on what I have seen over the past several weeks, I believe that Arians is evolving as a play-caller.

He is beginning to be a bit more instinctive in his play calling and doing a better job at "building" a series, letting one play build upon another.

He is definitely becoming more flexible about using a fullback of some sort in short yardage situations.

SteelTorch
01-26-2011, 01:01 AM

Do me a favor: take a deep breath, put your hands on your waist, and pull your head out of your bunghole. :P

Crash
01-26-2011, 01:04 AM
If Arians knows how good these guys are why is continuing to waste too many drives with that worth piece of cow dung Matt Spaeth on the field?

SteelTorch
01-26-2011, 02:26 AM

Actually, the fact that we couldn't "air it out" is exactly why the Jets almost snuck up on us in the first place. :P