PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin's Call

steelsnis
01-24-2011, 09:22 PM
With two minutes remaining and Pittsburgh clinging to a five-point lead facing third-and-6 from the New York Jets’ 40-yard line, Tomlin walked over to his offensive coaches and said in so many words, “We’re playing to win, throw the ball.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=j ... mlin012311 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-aggressivetomlin012311)

Love it! Put'em away. Most guys would have handed the ball off and punted in that situation.

Git'em coach!

proudpittsburgher
01-24-2011, 10:11 PM
It took balls the size of an elephant to make that call. But we know that Coach Tomlin doesn't make decisions with the fear of what happens if things don't work. The onside kick against Green Bay last season, and both throws on the final drive against the Jets. Me personally, I am more of a Cowher guy. I like running down the clock and putting the game in the hands of our defense. But I am becoming more and more of Tomlins nature. No appologies, no excuses. Do what you have to do to win the game. Love love love the overpaid janitor. :)

Doyle37
01-24-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm for doing it like Ben did....option. If the guy is open...throw it. If he's not open...run it and stay in bounds.

proudpittsburgher
01-24-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm for doing it like Ben did....option. If the guy is open...throw it. If he's not open...run it and stay in bounds.

Totally agree with you, but you know that the likelihood of Ben pulling it down and taking a knee is somewhere in the viscinity of slim and none. And that's why I am glad that someone with little nads like me isn't the QB or coach of our team, and Ben and Tomlin are. Otherwise, we would have Peyton Manning as our QB and he would fall to the ground 3 secs before getting hit. :)

Doyle37
01-24-2011, 10:29 PM
I don't have a problem with Ben taking a hit ( just like he did when he went head first on the earlier run ) just stay in bounds.

feltdizz
01-24-2011, 10:29 PM
It took balls the size of an elephant to make that call. But we know that Coach Tomlin doesn't make decisions with the fear of what happens if things don't work. The onside kick against Green Bay last season, and both throws on the final drive against the Jets. Me personally, I am more of a Cowher guy. I like running down the clock and putting the game in the hands of our defense. But I am becoming more and more of Tomlins nature. No appologies, no excuses. Do what you have to do to win the game. Love love love the overpaid janitor. :)

I love the aggressive nature Tomlin has... play to win. I thought we would run it.

jj28west
01-25-2011, 06:45 AM
Could you imagine the second guessing and Monday morning QBing he would have received with that call if it went incomplete. WIth a run play they could take another 30 seconds off and take the delay of game penalty.

Publicly he would say he relies on the D in those situations but in this case looks like he said eff turtle ball and go for the jugular.