PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Secondary

Dee Dub
01-24-2011, 09:21 PM
This unit has taken a ton of heat this year inlcuding from myself but to be honest the past two weeks versus the Ravens and the Jets (in the biggest games of the year), these guys have dominated. Ike Taylor may not be the ball hawk we all like but quite frankly he has become some what of an elite corner. I really think the Steelers should re-sign him. He is not the problem. He has become the solution. We're talking about shutting down the likes of Boldin, Mason, Houshmanzadeh, Santonio Holmes, and Braylon Edwards. That's no easy task. And our secondary has done more than hold their own.

This next game is going to be huge and the Steelers secondary is in for even a great challenge but if you ask me............I Like Ike!!

Iron Shiek
01-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Yeah, this game will be a bigger challenge than ever before. They've got some good receivers. Fortunate for Steelers that Jermichael Finley is hurt, he creates major matchup issues. But their speed vs our coverage will be a nice matchup. I expect Jennings to be blanketed by Ike, but they like moving Jennings around all over and across the middle. So he could get a mismatch on Gay. Although Gay hasn't been the sore spot he used to be lately.

papillon
01-24-2011, 11:58 PM
This unit has taken a ton of heat this year inlcuding from myself but to be honest the past two weeks versus the Ravens and the Jets (in the biggest games of the year), these guys have dominated. Ike Taylor may not be the ball hawk we all like but quite frankly he has become some what of an elite corner. I really think the Steelers should re-sign him. He is not the problem. He has become the solution. We're talking about shutting down the likes of Boldin, Mason, Houshmanzadeh, Santonio Holmes, and Braylon Edwards. That's no easy task. And our secondary has done more than hold their own.

This next game is going to be huge and the Steelers secondary is in for even a great challenge but if you ask me............I Like Ike!!

If it weren't for a slip by Ike you wouldn't have even known that Holmes was in the game. I think he would have had one first down catch and 1 or 2 other inconsequential catches. Ike played a very good game, IMO against the Jets.

Pappy

skyhawk
01-25-2011, 12:29 AM
We will see how they fare vs the top receiving corps in the league in 2 weeks!

pick6
01-25-2011, 12:40 AM
One thing that they must work on in the goal line defense is that wide receiver pick play where the WRs criss cross and brush up against or make the corners collide allowing the outside receiver to go free and catch a TD. This has happened the last 2 weeks and in both cases I believe that we would have stopped them if it were not for that play. Jets game and Ravens game to Heap

I would have the outside corner play man, close to the line so that if the WR slanted he could cover without running into his own man. Because I would have our CB who is covering the slot receiver off the line about 5 yards. Then to cover the possible inside slant by the slot WR, I would have a safety standing in the slant lane or better yet allow Harrison and or Woodley to line up in rushing position only to drop back into the passing lane just like in our last superbowl. I like it because I think Rogers might fall for what appears to be an open slant.

Oviedo
01-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Yeah, this game will be a bigger challenge than ever before. They've got some good receivers. Fortunate for Steelers that Jermichael Finley is hurt, he creates major matchup issues. But their speed vs our coverage will be a nice matchup. I expect Jennings to be blanketed by Ike, but they like moving Jennings around all over and across the middle. So he could get a mismatch on Gay. Although Gay hasn't been the sore spot he used to be lately.

:Agree Green Bay may have the best receiver corps in the NFL and Aaron Rodgers is not Sanchez or Flacco.

The pass rush will be more importnat than ever because it starts and ends with pressure on the QB and rushing the QB.

flippy
01-25-2011, 10:13 AM
If you look at GB WRs YPC, only Jennings is impressive.

And our WRs actually compare favorably because Ben likes to throw the ball down the field.

Mike Wallace is better than anyone on the GB roster.

RussBII
01-25-2011, 10:23 AM

:Agree Green Bay may have the best receiver corps in the NFL and Aaron Rodgers is not Sanchez or Flacco.

The pass rush will be more importnat than ever because it starts and ends with pressure on the QB and rushing the QB.

We'll need to run some delays and have Farrior and Harrison sneak around some. Rodgers is pretty damned athletic. We'll need to give him minimal time to react. I love the delay blitz with farrior and timmons straight up the gut.

Iron Shiek
01-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Also we can't underestimate the fact that Rodgers basically faces our defense in practice so he knows whats coming. Capers' scheme is basically ours, so we need to throw a wrinkle in there to get Rodgers to second guess.

Oviedo
01-25-2011, 10:51 AM

We'll need to run some delays and have Farrior and Harrison sneak around some. Rodgers is pretty damned athletic. We'll need to give him minimal time to react. I love the delay blitz with farrior and timmons straight up the gut.

I'd love to see Rodgers slammed to the ground early and often. He is dangerous and I'd like them to get his head hurting and woozy early in the game. He is very much a rhythm QB and once he controls the rhythm of the game he can be unstoppable.

ANPSTEEL
01-25-2011, 11:11 AM

I'd love to see Rodgers slammed to the ground early and often. He is dangerous and I'd like them to get his head hurting and woozy early in the game. He is very much a rhythm QB and once he controls the rhythm of the game he can be unstoppable.

There it is.

Once the Bears started getting to him, his game came down to a more average level.

RussBII
01-25-2011, 11:28 AM

There it is.

Once the Bears started getting to him, his game came down to a more average level.

Think that shot from Peppers was worth the 15 yards?