PDA

View Full Version : Fullback Success

SidSmythe
01-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Was it me or did we move the ball using the Fullback yesterday???

skyhawk
01-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Yes, Johnson has been blocking MUCH better than he was early in the season.

SidSmythe
01-24-2011, 06:22 PM

Probably a position we should invest in this offseason.

It's not like our 2nd TE is a passing option, so if he's going to be a blocker why not put him in the backfield to give Rashard someone to key off of??

Don't see why Redman can't play FB either. I really don't think you have to be a punishing blocker, just enough to help the RB make plays off his hip

feltdizz
01-24-2011, 06:32 PM
we were using the same formation Green Bay uses with 3 backs in the backfield. Someone pointed out how Arians was too dumb to use a formation like the Packers...

maybe he reads our post.

skyhawk
01-24-2011, 06:35 PM
we were using the same formation Green Bay uses with 3 backs in the backfield. Someone pointed out how Arians was too dumb to use a formation like the Packers...

maybe he reads our post.

The wishbone baby!

feltdizz
01-24-2011, 06:39 PM

maybe he reads our post.

The wishbone baby!

inverted wishbone.

steelerkeylargo
01-24-2011, 07:38 PM

maybe he reads our post.

The wishbone baby!

inverted wishbone.

It was actually a formation the Oklahoma Sooners started running at the end of the season to great success. They called it the "diamond formation"

SidSmythe
01-24-2011, 07:41 PM
I use that formation on MADDEN ... love it!! :Beer

Crash
01-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Like I said, Arians has faults, but not trying to make adjustments isn't one of them.

People need to admit that.

feltdizz
01-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Like I said, Arians has faults, but not trying to make adjustments isn't one of them.

the sun will burn out before that happens

Dee Dub
01-24-2011, 08:16 PM

He was a beast versus the Jets. Dude was blowin holes wide open.

SidSmythe
01-24-2011, 08:20 PM

He was a beast versus the Jets. Dude was blowin holes wide open.

He's been doing it all season but just hasn't had the opportunity to do it more often. I'm really hoping after watching the Bears run on the Packers, we stick with it

papillon
01-25-2011, 12:03 AM

I have bad news for the Arians haters the last 4 weeks the offense has changed drastically from the beginning of the season. It's paying off, because, teams haven't been ready to stop what the Steelers want to do on offense. The play calling and formations have been changed, the execution is better (in general) and the predictability has dissipated. Once the Steelers had the big lead I think they got a bit conservative, but when it came time to win the game there were two third pass plays called and completed.

Pappy

Crash
01-25-2011, 12:08 AM
We did fail on 3rd and 1 from the beloved I formation before pick #1 I believe.

Chadman
01-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Arians copped most of the flak, but he's doing alright. This team is humming right now.

The 'Fullback' importance is completely overblown. Imagine, if you will, if TE#2 was Mark Breuner- an dominant, blocking TE, instead of Matt Speath.

There would be dramatically less problems running the ball.

One of the Draft targets this season, if Arians remains OC, is a blocking TE. Then he can run his 2 TE formation as he likes it.

Crash
01-25-2011, 12:21 AM
Spaeth is worthless. He's the Corey Holliday of his time.

Chadman
01-25-2011, 12:27 AM
Spaeth is worthless. He's the Corey Holliday of his time.

If he could catch with any certainty, he'd be a valuable 3rd TE option, but as it stands...Johnson is better. To be honest, if you upgrade the #2 TE to a good blocking TE, Johnson probably becomes expendable too- then you can target a pass catching #3 TE for Red Zone situations..