PDA

View Full Version : Tone and Jets fans unhappy with THEIR OC.

Stewie
01-24-2011, 09:24 AM
http://burgh.us/1jp

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-24-2011, 09:29 AM
http://burgh.us/1jp
http://media.nj.com/star-ledger/photo/9217392-large.jpg

What happened to Jovial Rex?

Looks like a bitter old man.

And that article - Stonio just mouthing off with the class we all now he never has. Wonder who he'll be playing for next year, maybe the *s or the Cave-ins.

Steelgal
01-24-2011, 10:00 AM
I think this just proves the point that after a loss, the OC is almost always gonna take the heat. Rats fans said the exact same thing last week after we beat them. If you read on these boards after a Steeler loss or even after a win, BA gets plenty of blame as well.

I will admit I have done my fair share of BA bashing on the boards, but mostly in the chat room during games. I could give you 5 gripes right now about him, but I won't :stirpot

I think most fans just can't accept their team was outplayed or outcoached. They want to blame the refs, the coaches, or sometimes the players for not executing. It's hard to admit your team just wasn't good enough to win....

MaxAMillion
01-24-2011, 10:09 AM
I think this just proves the point that after a loss, the OC is almost always gonna take the heat. Rats fans said the exact same thing last week after we beat them. If you read on these boards after a Steeler loss or even after a win, BA gets plenty of blame as well.

I will admit I have done my fair share of BA bashing on the boards, but mostly in the chat room during games. I could give you 5 gripes right now about him, but I won't :stirpot

I think most fans just can't accept their team was outplayed or outcoached. They want to blame the refs, the coaches, or sometimes the players for not executing. It's hard to admit your team just wasn't good enough to win....

Very good point, most fans feel someone has to be blamed after every loss. I guess it is the "analysis" society we live in now. Everything gets disected way to much in my opinion. Teams on both sides play hard. Sometimes your team will play better and other times the other team plays better.

When plays don't work the coach gets the blame. When they do work the coach is a genious. I loved the idea of Tomlin throwing the ball to get first downs at the end of the game (Ryan said he definitely expected the Steelers to run the ball), if the passes don't work then Tomlin would have been criticized for not using the clock.

It is unfortunate that people can't just give credit to the other team sometimes.

flippy
01-24-2011, 10:37 AM
other than the slip, Ike shut Tonio down 2x this season.

proudpittsburgher
01-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Thought you guys would like this. Just read the football thread on a sportsjournalists board, and here was a comment that was made abotu the Steelers on the third down conversion late int he game. . .

"Shows you what a team is like with a real offensive coordinator".

I am not saying anything other than the comment made me think of this place and laugh.

grotonsteel
01-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Anyone read the gangreen forum?

The name calling for their OC is outright horrible.

"The OFFICIAL Brian Schottenheimer sucks rancid moose c*ck thread" ...that is just outright horrible IMO...

Steelgal
01-24-2011, 11:35 AM

"The OFFICIAL Brian Schottenheimer sucks rancid moose c*ck thread" ...that is just outright horrible IMO...

I tried to get on there last night and couldn't. You couldn't read without registering and they wouldn't let me register. Haven't tried yet today.

Crash
01-24-2011, 11:36 AM
I thought he called a good game. It wasn't son of Marty's fault we held the ball for 9 minutes on our first drive.

Sugar
01-24-2011, 11:39 AM
They are not a team that is built to come from behind. Their OC tried, but what do you do when the opponent has a 9 minute TD drive to start the game? They sure gave it a valiant effort though.

grotonsteel
01-24-2011, 11:42 AM

I tried to get on there last night and couldn't. You couldn't read without registering and they wouldn't let me register. Haven't tried yet today.

I did not register. You can read the forum without registering. I used google to get to their site.

Try this link

http://forums.theganggreen.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Steelgal
01-24-2011, 12:00 PM

I did not register. You can read the forum without registering. I used google to get to their site.

Thanks for the link! I couldn't get on last night, but then found out that they locked their forums down right after the game so that must have been why. Will check it out later.

Try this link

http://forums.theganggreen.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

SidSmythe
01-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Tards!!

Schottenheimer's a genius if you ask me
to do what he's done w/ Mark Sanchez at QB is amazing.

SteelTorch
01-24-2011, 01:51 PM

That's not fair for you to say that. I bash BA plenty of times even after a win. :wink: :lol:

NorthCoast
01-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Thought you guys would like this. Just read the football thread on a sportsjournalists board, and here was a comment that was made abotu the Steelers on the third down conversion late int he game. . .

"Shows you what a team is like with a real offensive coordinator".

I am not saying anything other than the comment made me think of this place and laugh.

Actually, the last pass of the game had nothing to do with the OC. It was all Ben improvising. I know I will get crucified but the play calling in the 2nd half was not all that good....or the Jets made changes and BA failed to counter....or TOmlin decided turtle-ball was the way to win the game.

Ghost
01-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Not sure who shoulders the blame - Ryan or Shotty - but the Jets clock management was insanely bad in the 2nd half.

If that was the Steelers, people here would be losing their minds, and rightly so.

NWNewell
01-24-2011, 02:17 PM
other than the slip, Ike shut Tonio down 2x this season.

+1

He did a great job! It's unfortunate that he slipped and Holmes got that long TD, and thus... Ike isn't going to get the credit due for his efforts this playoff (Mason didn't have a single catch in the Ravens game).

TallyStiller
01-24-2011, 04:06 PM
The Jets win because the rest of the team carries Mark Sanchez more often than the other way around, regardless of Booger's annointing as "The Sanchize" or all the fawning and slobbering from ESPN, NFLN, etc. In falling so far behind in this game because their DEFENSE got lit up like the Rockefeller Center christmas tree in the first half, they put the game in the hands of a player who simply isn't the equal of his reputation... but because ESPN says so, it CAN'T be that Sanchez is just outrageously overrated, so it MUST be the OC's fault. :Blah

Steelerphile
01-24-2011, 04:18 PM
This is the reason that I seldom if ever participate in the BA bashing. Every OC in the land is considered the worst ever. I actually thought the playcalling was fine this season, and creative often. I still come down on the side of execution being paramount to playcalling.

The GB Packers under Lombardi might have had 15 plays but because the team had those limited number down to a science and executed them to perfection, they still worked.

As for Sanchez, I like him better now than I did at first. I thought he played very well in the second half. I was definitely getting nervous and I would have been worried if the offense didn't make that first down and run out the clock, because Sanchez was on.

feltdizz
01-24-2011, 04:22 PM
The Jets win because the rest of the team carries Mark Sanchez more often than the other way around, regardless of Booger's annointing as "The Sanchize" or all the fawning and slobbering from ESPN, NFLN, etc. In falling so far behind in this game because their DEFENSE got lit up like the Rockefeller Center christmas tree in the first half, they put the game in the hands of a player who simply isn't the equal of his reputation... but because ESPN says so, it CAN'T be that Sanchez is just outrageously overrated, so it MUST be the OC's fault. :Blah

I thought he played well yesterday and showed some heart. You are talking like the Jets didn't put up 17 in the second half.

BURGH86STEEL
01-24-2011, 04:26 PM
This is the reason that I seldom if ever participate in the BA bashing. Every OC in the land is considered the worst ever. I actually thought the playcalling was fine this season, and creative often. I still come down on the side of execution being paramount to playcalling.

The GB Packers under Lombardi might have had 15 plays but because the team had those limited number down to a science and executed them to perfection, they still worked.

As for Sanchez, I like him better now than I did at first. I thought he played very well in the second half. I was definitely getting nervous and I would have been worried if the offense didn't make that first down and run out the clock, because Sanchez was on.

I am with you when you state, "execution being paramount to playcalling." Execution is where most games are won or loss.

As for Sanchez, he's a good young QB that can only get better. The Jet's biggest concern is their pass rush. The need to find one or two pass rushers that can win one on one match ups.

proudpittsburgher
01-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Actually, the last pass of the game had nothing to do with the OC. It was all Ben improvising. I know I will get crucified but the play calling in the 2nd half was not all that good....or the Jets made changes and BA failed to counter....or TOmlin decided turtle-ball was the way to win the game.

I know that, but I thought I would share the quote because it goes to show that very few people like their OC and think everyone elses is great. And it's my opinion that the final thing you mentioned is why the Jets came back in the second half. Ben threw less than 20 passes, that hasn't happened since the days of Bill Cowher. But I think most coordinators go the turtle-ball rout with a 21-point lead in the second half. A lot of things happened that could have put that game out of reach and not nearly as interesting as it was. Ike slipping, a couple of bad decisions, the fumble in the end zone. Turtle ball isn't necessarily bad. As Mr. Miagi put it, "When done right, no can defend." :)

ALLD
01-24-2011, 08:49 PM
I thought Schotty called a horrible first half and did not have the team prepared emotionally. He was too conservative like his dad.

feltdizz
01-24-2011, 09:33 PM
A couple of thoughts:

I think any offense who sits on the sideline in single digit weather for 20 minutes before their first possession will look bad/rusty.

I think Sanchez doesn't have the keys to the offense yet so the hurry up wasn't so hurried. We also did a great job of forcing them underneath.

Ben made most of his plays with his feet in the first half and he didn't look so hot passing the ball down field. . I don't think you can playcalling for our 2nd half failures. We were grinding clock and on the pass play that could have sealed the game Ben threw a horrible pass. His pass to Mend on 4th down was a little hot as well IMO.

Ben was incredible as a field general but I think the DB's for the Jets and the zone/man mix up got to him a little. I'm also one of those fans who thinks Ben still can't be trusted with a 21 point lead. LOL. He knows how to make the game interesting.