PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey says he will play in Super Bowl!!

Dee Dub
01-24-2011, 01:07 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 19533.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_719533.html)

This article from the TribLive (by Scott Brown), is titled "Pouncey says he'll play in Super Bowl" yet when you click on it it doesnt say anything about that. Anybody got anything else on this?

Dee Dub
01-24-2011, 01:12 AM
Ok they have updated that article a bit..

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey plans to play in Super Bowl XLV despite sustaining a high ankle sprain in a 24-19 win against the New York Jets.

Pouncey, the first Steelers rookie offensive lineman to make the Pro Bowl since the 1950s, left the AFC Championship Game on the first possession after Jets linebacker Bryan Thomas fell on his left leg.

Pouncey did not return to the game but he said afterwards that he will play Feb. 6 against the Green Bay Packers in Dallas.

“I know in my heart that I’m playing in that game,” Pouncey said after the Steelers earned their third trip to the Super Bowl in the last six years. “I had the same injury before on my other ankle and I know how to attack it. I know how to approach things.”

The Steelers will likely hold Pouncey out of practice until they arrive in Dallas, and the 6-4, 304-pounder gets extra time to heal because of the bye both Super Bowl-bound teams receive next weekend.

Pouncey has started every game this season for the Steelers though he became the latest one to go down on a unit that has been besieged by injuries.

Despite the loss of Pouncey, the Steelers provided enough running room for Rashard Mendenhall to rush for 95 yards in the pivotal first half -- and 121 overall against the team that had the No. 3 rushing defense in the NFL during the regular season.

“They don’t blink,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said when asked about the resiliency shown by the offensive linemen. “The standard is winning. It’s not always as attractive as we would like, talking about the effort, but it is effort nonetheless. Today’s effort was kind of a window to what it has been.”

Read more: Pouncey says injury won't sideline him for the Super Bowl - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1BvVcRfMt (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_719533.html#ixzz1BvVcRfMt)

Shoe
01-24-2011, 01:22 AM
We gonna need him. Legursky vs. Raji is a physical mismatch.

fordfixer
01-24-2011, 02:51 AM
Steelers notes: Pouncey no stranger to ankle sprains
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... rains.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2011/january/24/steelers-notes-pouncey-no-stranger-to-ankle-sprains.html)
By: Andrew Chiappazzi
Beaver County Times

Monday January 24, 2011 12:02 AM

PITTSBURGH — It’s likely none of the Steelers will participate in the Pro Bowl now that they’re Super Bowl bound, but even had the Steelers lost, it’s unlikely Maurkice Pouncey would have been able to play.

The rookie center suffered a high ankle sprain early in the first quarter when linebacker Bryan Thomas was blocked onto his leg. Pouncey was down for a few minutes and wasn’t able to put weight on his left ankle. He didn’t return, and was on crutches with a walking boot after the game.

“It’s just a high ankle sprain. They didn’t tell me what degree it is yet,” Pouncey said.

It’s not a new injury for Pouncey. During his sophomore year at Florida, Pouncey suffered a high ankle sprain on his opposite ankle, but didn’t miss any time.

“I hurt it on a Saturday at the game, and the next Saturday I was playing. I think I was practicing on Thursday and Friday.”

Pouncey will have two weeks to heal before the Super Bowl in Dallas. Doug Legursky filled in with Pouncey out.

Letting loose The Steelers and Jets held their tongues most of the week in regards trash talk, but the Steelers let loose as soon as the game was over.

Steelers players flooded the field with their arms out wide, mimicking the movements of airplanes, poking fun at the “jet” celebration started by New York wide receiver Santonio Holmes.

The Patriots had mocked the Jets in their 45-3 win in the regular season, and Bart Scott brought it back following the Jets’ win last week.

The Steelers also reserved a little something special for Scott, a former Baltimore Raven. Scott made national news with his tirade following the win last week, saying he “can’t wait” to play the Steelers. The Steelers walked off the field and into the locker room mocking Scott, saying they, “can’t wait to get on that jet” to Dallas and “can’t wait” for the Super Bowl.
Advertisement Click Here

Milestones Hines Ward caught two passes for 14 yards, giving him 16 consecutive playoff games with a reception. That moves Ward within one of John Stallworth’s club record of 17 straight playoff games with a catch. Tight end Heath Miller caught two passes for 38 yards, giving him 425 yards in the postseason, the most by a tight end in team history. Miller is the sixth player in team history to reach 400 receiving yards and just the 11th tight end in NFL history to hit that mark.

Attendance record Fans set a new Steelers’ attendance record at Heinz Field, as 66,662 packed into the stadium for the AFC Championship. That passed the Steelers’ old mark of 65,579, set Oct. 25, 2009, against the Minnesota Vikings. It is not a Heinz Field overall record, though. Pitt and West Virginia drew 66,731 fans on Nov. 30, 2002, and the 2011 NHL Winter Classic drew 68,111.

Injuries Outside of Maurkice Pouncey, the Steelers’ escaped severe injuries. Ben Roethlisberger and Emmanuel Sanders were both banged up, but didn’t miss any action. Roethlisberger had his foot stepped on during the Steelers’ opening drive and limped around for a while. Sanders was hit in the head by Jets’ safety Eric Smith on a play over the middle. Sanders missed just a couple plays before returning. Smith was flagged for unnecessary roughness. Safety Ryan Clark was shaken up late in the third quarter, but he also returned.