PDA

View Full Version : OT: Jay Cutler quit

Crash
01-24-2011, 12:50 AM
How embarrassing.

He's done in Chicago IMO.

papillon
01-24-2011, 01:03 AM
I was helping our youngest son build his pinewood derby car and I looked up at the screen and asked my wife what happened to Jay cutler. Her response is classic, "I didn't see anything, I think he just decided to quit."

Pappy

Crash
01-24-2011, 01:06 AM
How do you quit in an NFC title game?

And what was worse is Lovie put in his emergency QB with a minute left in the 3rd to hand off twice. So Cutler couldn't go back in even if he wanted to down 7 points late.

How can you butcher the rules like that?

Wow!

papillon
01-24-2011, 01:11 AM
How do you quit in an NFC title game?

And what was worse is Lovie put in his emergency QB with a minute left in the 3rd to hand off twice. So Cutler couldn't go back in even if he wanted to down 7 points late.

How can you butcher the rules like that?

Wow!

I give Lovie a pass he was trying to win a game and his backup quarterback was 0-4 with an almost pick. He was looking for a spark and he got it. I think it was a bold move (it would have been better in the 4th quarter, but...). Cutler is the problem here, not Lovie Smith, IMO.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
01-24-2011, 01:46 AM
Bears Fans Already Burning Jay Cutler’s Jersey

Published On 23 Jan 2011 By Robert Littal.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Jay-Cutler-2-300x224.jpg

I think Jay Cutler quit.

I think Jay Cutler moped.

I don’t think Cutler is a leader.

With all that being said burning his jersey is crazy. Regardless if you like him or not he did lead the Bears to the NFC Championship game and no one thought that was possible at the beginning of the year. He is the quarterback for the Bears long term.

Today was not a good look for him, but keep it in perspective, real fans can be critical without being crazy.

Lovie Smith defended his quarterback:

Smith said Cutler was disappointed he could not continue.

“He was hurt, and he couldn’t go,” Smith said. “Trainers, doctors and all, they are the ones who really made that decision. As far as Jay, he is like everyone else; he was disappointed he couldn’t go out and play to help his team win.”

Smith grew agitated when asked again about Cutler not returning.

“He hurt his knee and he was out, all right? There’s nothing else for me to tell you on that,” Smith said. “I don’t know exactly when it happened. He couldn’t go, and we moved on. Let’s go to some other questions, how about that?”

That is Lovie being a good coach, if Cutler wanted to play he could have. This wasn’t a concussion, this was a knee injury that most quarterbacks in the league if they had an opportunity to go to Super Bowl would have figured out a way to be in the huddle.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2011/ ... rs-jersey/ (http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2011/01/bears-fans-already-burning-jay-cutlers-jersey/)

Crash
01-24-2011, 01:54 AM
I give Lovie a pass he was trying to win a game and his backup quarterback was 0-4 with an almost pick.

But he handed off twice. Why not have Collins hand off and then take him out?

papillon
01-24-2011, 01:57 AM
I give Lovie a pass he was trying to win a game and his backup quarterback was 0-4 with an almost pick.

But he handed off twice. Why not have Collins hand off and then take him out?

I think he was so into the game and realized that Collins wasn't the answer he just wanted to get someone in the game that could hopefully, move the football and get some points. That rule probably never even crossed his mind during an NFC championship game. It was a mistake to be sure, but sometimes the moment, setting and magnitude of the game are overwhelming. It happens.

Pappy

feltdizz
01-24-2011, 01:58 AM
Cutler tapped out. Like Deion Sanders said... there is perception and there is reality. It was obvious by his body language that he didn't want to play. How does aplyer not know what play he was injured on?

He forced Lovie and mike martz hand. My only question is why is Collins ahead of Hanie? Collins is horrible.

hawaiiansteel
01-24-2011, 02:06 AM
Look at All the Tweet-Hate Fellow NFL Players Have Given to Jay Cutler:

Boy, it isn’t a good day to be Jay Cutler. Take a look at all the tweet-hate he has received since his bum knee injury:

http://footbasket.com/2011/01/23/look-a ... ay-cutler/ (http://footbasket.com/2011/01/23/look-at-all-the-tweet-hate-nfl-players-have-given-to-jay-cutler/)

AngryAsian
01-24-2011, 04:25 AM
Only one word comes to mind: PUSSY

SidSmythe
01-24-2011, 07:10 AM
He was up walking around ... enough to tell me he wasn't "INJURED"

He quit ... most QB's would have had to be dragged off the field.

Notleadpoisoned
01-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Cutler should just change his last name to "Whatever" so maybe people will just accept him for being the disinterested douchebag that he is.

flippy
01-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Cutler acts disinterested. And I can't stand his personality. But I think this is overblown. He had to be hurt. Something wasn't right. And it's silly for people to start judging him now like he all of a sudden became this disinterested dbag. He's always been the same.

I bet something really was wrong.

MeetJoeGreene
01-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Cutler acts disinterested. And I can't stand his personality. But I think this is overblown. He had to be hurt. Something wasn't right. And it's silly for people to start judging him now like he all of a sudden became this disinterested dbag. He's always been the same.

I admit, it looked wussified for him to be standing around, no ice, looking disinterested.

But I am trying to withhold judgement until after all of the info comes out - I think he is supposed to get an MRI today.

Steelgal
01-24-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm trying to withhold judgement on him, but he doesn't make it easy. Besides looking uninterested, at one point Hainie (sp?) was looking at pictures or the playbook on the bench. Cutler is sitting next to him. YOu'd think he would be helping him or going over it with him and it appears he did nothing of the kind. If you can't play, then by gosh help your teammate who probably wasn't expecting to see the field.

Total lack of leadership from him which is pathetic for a captain.

feltdizz
01-24-2011, 10:41 AM

I admit, it looked wussified for him to be standing around, no ice, looking disinterested.

But I am trying to withhold judgement until after all of the info comes out - I think he is supposed to get an MRI today.

an MRI can't show how much heart he has... even with a bum knee you can help your QB or ask WR's if they see a weakness for Hanie to exploit.

Cutler is a bum.

Tomlinator
01-24-2011, 10:53 AM
I called him a quitter in another thread and will stick by it.

However, I also heard mentioned on the radio this morning that Cutler is diabetic. I have no experience with diabetes, but maybe his blood sugar was messed up or something.

Anyone who knows more think this could be a factor, or is he really just a douchebag quitter?

grotonsteel
01-24-2011, 11:26 AM

Today morning on Mike and Mike they made a great point regarding the MRI.

Will Bears ever tell that injury is not that devastating and get the wrath of their fans during offseason?

Chicago Bears will tell the world that MRI result shows ACL/MCL injury to Jay Cutler to protect him and their franchise no matter what the outcome of MRI result is. I think that will be the smart move unless they want Jay Cutler out.

Djfan
01-24-2011, 11:47 AM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/01/jay-cutler-under-attack-for-leaving-bears-loss-with-knee-injury/1

Jay Cutler under attack for leaving Bears' loss with knee injury
07:36 PM

By Sean Leahy, USA TODAY

The Chicago Bears defended QB Jay Cutler on Sunday after he came under withering criticism from fans, analysts and even fellow players for having left an NFC title game loss to the Green Bay Packers with a knee injury.

Cutler exited the game, with the Bears trailing 14-0, early in the third quarter. He remained on the sidelines, spending some of the remainder of the game looking sullen in a seat on the bench and some of it standing on the sideline.

Third-stringer Caleb Hanie rallied the Bears in a game they would eventually lose 21-14, but some fans took out their frustration on Cutler by burning his jersey in the parking lots outside Soldier Field.

Fellow NFL players questioned Cutler's toughness on Twitter during the game, and ESPN analyst and former Super Bowl-winning QB Trent Dilfer called him out after the game.

"You can play this position (QB) hurt," Dilfer said on ESPN. "Some of us have."

Cutler said he hurt his knee late in the second quarter and said he was unable to play effectively after trying just after halftime. (Video of Cutler's remarks below.)

"We gave it a go in that first series," Cutler said, "but couldn't plant and throw, so ..."

Players such as Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew and Cardinals DT Darnell Dockett suggested on Twitter that Cutler had let his teammates down.

But Bears LB Brian Urlacher rejected those who would question Cutler.

"Jay was hurt," Urlacher said.. "I don't question his toughness. He's one of the toughest guys on our — he's tough as hell. He's one of the toughest guys on our football team. He doesn't bitch, he doesn't complain when he gets hit, he goes out there and plays his ass off every Sunday, practices every day.
"So, no, we don't question his toughness."

Bears coach Lovie Smith said there was no hesitation to pull Cutler after officials determined his knee was too sore to play. He appeared to grow agitated by repeated questions about Cutler's status.

"He hurt his knee, and he was out," Smith said. "There's nothing else for me to tell you on that."

The Packers earned a berth in the Super Bowl with the 21-14 win. Before exiting, Cutler was 6-for-14 for 80 yards with an INT. He was sacked twice.

Cutler could not identify on which play he was hurt, and said he hoped surgery would not be needed.

He said it was a "lonely feeling" sitting on the bench in the second half while first Todd Collins and then Hanie replaced him.

Asked if he was disappointed when the decision to lift him was made, Cutler said, "I knew that it was probably better that I didn't."

On Twitter, Jones-Drew and Dockett were among several players who commented on Cutler's status.

* Said Jones-Drew: "Hey I think the urban meyer rule is effect right now... When the going gets tough........QUIT.. ... All I'm saying is that he can finish the game on a hurt knee... I played the whole season on one..."
* Said Dockett: "If I'm on chicago team jay cutler has to wait till me and the team shower get dressed and leave before he comes in the locker room!"

Cutler said he had "no comment" when asked about the criticism of his toughness after the game.

Irongut
01-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Owen Kreutz said his kneecap was flopping around, side to side, and he couldn't believe he even finished the half.

Steelgal
01-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Owen Kreutz said his kneecap was flopping around, side to side, and he couldn't believe he even finished the half.

If that was the case and I'm certainly not a doctor but have dislocated my knee twice before and had 2 surgeries on it. Why wasn't it in a brace or wrapped to help keep it in place? My experience may be completely different from his injury, but I can not fathom if that was the case he was allowed to walk around freely on the sidelines.

pick6
01-24-2011, 12:25 PM

However, I also heard mentioned on the radio this morning that Cutler is diabetic. I have no experience with diabetes, but maybe his blood sugar was messed up or something.

Anyone who knows more think this could be a factor, or is he really just a douchebag quitter?

I was just about to right about this but wanted to see if one of my fellow steelers fans picked up on it.

Yes, I have a great deal of experience with type one diabetes. You and I have a sugar of about 90 right now, no matter what we eat. Our islet cells (on/in our pancreas) secrete the perfect amount of insulin so that the carbs in our blood can be metabolized. Jay has to find out where his sugar level is then inject himself with the proper amount of insulin. Don't make any mistakes with that insulin or you could be dead. Just sayin. The problem for Jay is that he has to be careful because physical activity brings sugar down also. It could be really dangerous to account for all of these factors. Even thinking hard can effect sugar levels.

I would not be surprised to find out that his sugar levels were off. Although this should not happen because im sure that the team has experts on staff.

When the sugar is too high or too low the mental and emotional state of the person is greatly effected. Sudden uncontrollable crying, loss of motor skills, extreme depression. All of this stuff is sudden and goes away once sugar levels return to normal.

I can tell from his face and eyes that he takes pretty good care of his diabetes. But I will say that growing up with diabetes makes them sometimes stoic people

flippy
01-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Not sure who, but I heard someone say that Cutler has an MCL tear.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Results of MRI: Torn MCL.

He couldn't plant, run, or turn.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-24-2011, 12:54 PM

Djfan
01-24-2011, 12:55 PM

Link?

BradshawsHairdresser
01-24-2011, 12:55 PM

Link?

Just read it on NFL.com.

Djfan
01-24-2011, 12:56 PM

Link?

Just read it on NFL.com.

Tnx!

pick6
01-24-2011, 01:57 PM

I was just about to right about this but wanted to see if one of my fellow steelers fans picked up on it.

Yes, I have a great deal of experience with type one diabetes. You and I have a sugar of about 90 right now, no matter what we eat. Our islet cells (on/in our pancreas) secrete the perfect amount of insulin so that the carbs in our blood can be metabolized. Jay has to find out where his sugar level is then inject himself with the proper amount of insulin. Don't make any mistakes with that insulin or you could be dead. Just sayin. The problem for Jay is that he has to be careful because physical activity brings sugar down also. It could be really dangerous to account for all of these factors. Even thinking hard can effect sugar levels.

I would not be surprised to find out that his sugar levels were off. Although this should not happen because im sure that the team has experts on staff.

When the sugar is too high or too low the mental and emotional state of the person is greatly effected. Sudden uncontrollable crying, loss of motor skills, extreme depression. All of this stuff is sudden and goes away once sugar levels return to normal.

I can tell from his face and eyes that he takes pretty good care of his diabetes. But I will say that growing up with diabetes makes them sometimes stoic people. i think the rants are unwarranted. he couldn't go.

feltdizz
01-24-2011, 02:12 PM

I can tell from his face and eyes that he takes pretty good care of his diabetes. But I will say that growing up with diabetes makes them sometimes stoic people. i think the rants are unwarranted. he couldn't go.

hmmm... regardless I think an athlete of his caliber should find a way to fight through the pain and cheer and help his team win.

I have never seen the guy say a word to WR's when on the sidelines.

ScoreKeeper
01-24-2011, 02:48 PM
If his knee was hurt that bad it would have been iced and he would have been taken to the locker room. He stood on the sidelines and not even trainers were attending to him.

The Sodfather
01-24-2011, 02:50 PM
It was ten ****ing degrees and you want them to put ice on it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ScoreKeeper
01-24-2011, 02:52 PM
It's Olin.

And the Bears will cover this up. What are they to do, say there was nothing wrong or a mild sprain and have their QB face the wrath of the media and fans? Not likely.

ScoreKeeper
01-24-2011, 02:54 PM
It was ten bad word degrees and you want them to put ice on it.

:lol:
Is he not the most disinterested guy you've ever seen on a football field? He just looks zoned out most of the time.

The Sodfather
01-24-2011, 02:57 PM
It was ten bad word degrees and you want them to put ice on it.

Is he not the most disinterested guy you've ever seen on a football field? He just looks zoned out most of the time.

Friend of mine yesterday said he looked like he's on quaaludes. I said valium. Might be both.

Djfan
01-24-2011, 05:03 PM
[quote="The Sodfather":fmwqda55]It was ten bad word degrees and you want them to put ice on it.

Friend of mine yesterday said he looked like he's on quaaludes. I said valium. Might be both.[/quote:fmwqda55]

I agree. He looks like the third grade kid who got called a stinker by the big kid on the play ground.

Ben would have been watching, yelling, giving feedback and encouragement, etc. Cutler undermines his own respect with this nonsense.

ScoreKeeper
01-24-2011, 05:07 PM
It's a sprain. So much for the non-sense of his knee cap being all wobbly. Honestly, where did that come from? I would say OK if a link to that were provided but we all know that won't happen. :roll:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/01/bears-cutler-suffers-sprain-of-mcl-in-left-knee.html

hawaiiansteel
01-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Updated: January 25, 2011, 1:57 PM ET

Charles Barkley rips Jay Cutler critics

ESPNChicago.com

Charles Barkley was at Soldier Field on Sunday for the NFC Championship Game, and he said he knew Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler was going to get criticized for leaving the game in the third quarter with a knee injury.

But what caught Barkley by surprise was the criticism of other players around the league via Twitter.

"I was mad at the players, to be honest with you," Barkley said Tuesday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "I think it was inappropriate and wrong to question a guy's heart. Now reporters, they're going to do what they want to. They're entitled to their opinion. But as players, I don't think it's appropriate to question another guy's heart.

"That crosses the line, because you don't know. If you go back and start looking at all the stuff that's been said, and clearly one of the more vocal critics was Maurice Jones-Drew, and then you find out he missed the last two games with a bad knee. And he was really the first guy who crucified Jay. You have to be careful, because in the two most important games of the year, he sat out with a bad knee. And then it really makes him look like an idiot now."

Jones-Drew subsequently said he was just joking and was taken out of context.

Charles Barkley joined "The Waddle & Silvy Show" to discuss the Jay Cutler controversy and how the Bulls stack up in the East.

"I just think it's inappropriate," Barkley said. "It's fair to criticize guys when they don't play well, but it's 100 percent unfair to criticize guys ... if a guy says he's hurt, you have to respect that."

Barkley did have one criticism for Cutler, who was seen sitting next to third-stringer Caleb Hanie, who came in after second-stringer Todd Collins struggled. The Bears lost 21-14 to the Green Bay Packers.

"I was very disappointed that he wasn't standing beside that young kid," Barkley said. "I was very disappointed he wasn't there trying to work with that young kid. There were a couple of shots of them on the sideline, with [Hanie] looking at pictures, and [Cutler] was just disengaged. That's a fair criticism."

Barkley was told Hanie said Cutler was offering advice and support.

"I don't think Caleb Hanie wanted to throw him under the bus," Barkley said. "If it had been me, I would have been in his ear the whole time. I would have been standing by him the whole time. Not just he said a couple of times he came and talked to him.

"I've been in that situation before with a rookie or whatever. I'm going to be in his ear the whole time. That's a legitimate criticism of Jay Cutler."

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/n ... id=6057618 (http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=6057618)

Irongut
01-25-2011, 03:16 PM
It's a sprain. So much for the non-sense of his knee cap being all wobbly. Honestly, where did that come from? I would say OK if a link to that were provided but we all know that won't happen. :roll:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/01/bears-cutler-suffers-sprain-of-mcl-in-left-knee.html

"(Expletive) them, it's (expletive) stupid,'' Kreutz snapped. "I could see (his knee) wiggling when he was walking back in the huddle (late in the second quarter).''

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011 ... -toughness (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-01-24/sports/ct-spt-0124-bears-haugh-chicago--20110123_1_jay-cutler-truer-gauge-toughness)

Crash
01-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Barkley thinks those critics are turable!

feltdizz
01-25-2011, 03:57 PM
"I was very disappointed that he wasn't standing beside that young kid," Barkley said. "I was very disappointed he wasn't there trying to work with that young kid. There were a couple of shots of them on the sideline, with [Hanie] looking at pictures, and [Cutler] was just disengaged. That's a fair criticism."

I think this is why people hate Cutler.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-25-2011, 11:06 PM

Because of a couple of camera shots where Cutler seemed disengaged, people are going to judge him?? Just because he doesn't pull a Brady, and scream like a woman, berating his teammates and cussing them out?? How do you know what was being said (or not being said) all the rest of the time--other than the four seconds you saw on TV??

Probably if he had wiped a booger on Hanie, a bunch of the critics would have hailed him as a real leader. :roll:

Irongut
01-26-2011, 12:47 AM
How embarrassing.

He's done in Chicago IMO.

Open mouth, insert foot.

ScoreKeeper
01-26-2011, 07:56 AM

Olin said:

"I could see (his knee) wiggling when he was walking back in the huddle (late in the second quarter).''

Embellish much? :roll:

feltdizz
01-26-2011, 01:59 PM

Because of a couple of camera shots where Cutler seemed disengaged, people are going to judge him?? Just because he doesn't pull a Brady, and scream like a woman, berating his teammates and cussing them out?? How do you know what was being said (or not being said) all the rest of the time--other than the four seconds you saw on TV??

Probably if he had wiped a booger on Hanie, a bunch of the critics would have hailed him as a real leader. :roll:

...and you do know what was being said? :roll:

The guy has a reputation for being disengaged... if he didn't have a rep this wouldn't get the press it's getting.

Irongut
01-26-2011, 02:02 PM
...and you do know what was being said? :roll:

The guy has a reputation for being disengaged... if he didn't have a rep this wouldn't get the press it's getting.

Again, spot on. He was helping Hanie, helping him with pictures and recognition and also got up and greeted him with a big smile after his td. Guess some had eyes closed during those portions.

Crash
01-26-2011, 07:30 PM
There have been numerous reports over the years, in Denver, and since he was traded, that Cutler is a douche in public. Thats another reason why he gets called out.

Calling out Elway when he hadn't won a playoff game didn't help either.

feltdizz
01-26-2011, 09:40 PM
He quit. I think he is so used to having losing seasons he was OK with the way this season ended.

He pulled a Colt McCoy... but at least Colt acted like a cheer leader on the sideline and knew when his "injury" occurred.

Chadman
01-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Cutler for Palmer trade during the off-season...just watch...

Crash
01-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Cutler for McNabb is more likely.

McNabb's new deal is almost all base salary. Makes sense for the Bears.

Scarletfire1970
01-26-2011, 10:55 PM

McNabb sucks just as bad. .

Irongut
01-26-2011, 11:54 PM

Absolutely no way. Cutler is going nowhere. Certainly not for McNabb.

The Sodfather
01-27-2011, 07:56 AM

Absolutely no way. Cutler is going nowhere. Certainly not for McNabb.

McNabb is far worse. The Bears would be nuts to do that.

Ghost
01-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Interesting article regarding Cutler (whether you like Rick Reilly or not he has some real life examples of why Cutler is considered such a douche).

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6017986

I don't feel bad for Cutler in the least. He brought this on himself. This same injury happens to Ben, Brady, Sanchez (after only 2 years) and no one is questioning their heart. This is as much as indication of how people feel about him personally as questioning his toughness.

I've never liked him and glad he's not a Steeler. No bowl games in college, losing record in Denver (they couldn't wiat to get rid of him), and the Bears D carried him in Chicago. I've never seen a more miserable multi-millionaire who dates hot chicks and has a fairy tale life.

Crash
01-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Wait a minute, why hasn't Cutler been suspended if he's a jerk to people?

papillon
01-27-2011, 03:34 PM
I always liked John Lynch, now I like him even more.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
01-28-2011, 03:43 AM
Passionate Madden defends Cutler’s toughness, demeanor

Posted by Mike Florio on January 28, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/amd_john-madden-raissman.jpg?w=137

Hall of Fame coach John Madden joined Adam Schein and Rich Gannon of Sirius NFL Radio on Thursday to discuss the hottest issue of the week — the injury to Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, whether he could have played with the injury, and whether his demeanor suggested that he cared about the fact that he was missing the second half of the biggest game of his life.

In defending Cutler, Madden was passionate, emotional, and as angry as we’ve ever heard him.

“I’ve been in football for over 50 years,” Madden said, prefacing his remarks. “I’ve never questioned a player’s toughness. I never have. Whether it was in coaching, broadcasting, whatever.”

Madden then turned to Cutler specifically.

“There’s no one in the NFL that has a tougher job to do than Jay Cutler,” Madden said. “I think playing quarterback in the NFL is the toughest thing you can do. I think throwing a forward pass and having guys rushing you and hitting you when you’re looking downfield and throwing the ball is the toughest act you have to do.”

Madden explained that Cutler plays with Type I diabetes, what that means, and what it requires. After that, Madden got pissed.

“And then people are looking at him, they put a camera on him, and they say they don’t like his demeanor,” Madden said. “Demeanor hell!”

We don’t use exclamation points lightly. In this specific case, based on the volume with which the words were delivered, we probably should have used three or four of them after the word “hell”.

“Live a day in his shoes,” Madden said. “Type I diabetes is not a daytime thing. It’s not a week thing. It’s not a month thing. It’s a life thing. And it’s every day, and it’s every day for 24 hours.”

Madden, whose grandson suffers from Type I diabetes, said that Cutler is a role model to kids with the disease, and that Cutler necessarily is tough because of what he does and the realities of the illness from which he suffers.

(He’s also tough because, as we’ve pointed out this week, he played the bulk of the 2007 season suffering from the disease and not knowing it, losing more than 30 pounds during the season.)

Schein then raised with Madden whether it would have been wise for the Bears to be more direct and candid about the fact that Cutler wasn’t returning to the game, and Madden explained that, if a players is out due to injury, the potential strategic gains from concealing the extent of injuries probably need to be set aside.

Through it all, Madden articulated his thoughts in the same plainspoken yet powerful way that made him beloved as a broadcaster. Nearly two years after his retirement, the comments were reminder of what the NFL is missing with Madden no longer serving as perhaps the greatest ambassador to the fans the league has ever had.

And hearing him talk about the game he loved makes us hopeful that he’ll stand up on behalf of the fans some point soon and insist that the league and the players work out their differences so that the game he loves may continue.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -demeanor/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/28/passionate-madden-defends-cutlers-toughness-demeanor/)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-29-2011, 10:46 AM
What was the final thing - was there a confirmed MRI tear?

BradshawsHairdresser
01-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Passionate Madden defends Cutler’s toughness, demeanor

Posted by Mike Florio on January 28, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/amd_john-madden-raissman.jpg?w=137

Hall of Fame coach John Madden joined Adam Schein and Rich Gannon of Sirius NFL Radio on Thursday to discuss the hottest issue of the week — the injury to Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, whether he could have played with the injury, and whether his demeanor suggested that he cared about the fact that he was missing the second half of the biggest game of his life.

In defending Cutler, Madden was passionate, emotional, and as angry as we’ve ever heard him.

“I’ve been in football for over 50 years,” Madden said, prefacing his remarks. “I’ve never questioned a player’s toughness. I never have. Whether it was in coaching, broadcasting, whatever.”

Madden then turned to Cutler specifically.

“There’s no one in the NFL that has a tougher job to do than Jay Cutler,” Madden said. “I think playing quarterback in the NFL is the toughest thing you can do. I think throwing a forward pass and having guys rushing you and hitting you when you’re looking downfield and throwing the ball is the toughest act you have to do.”

Madden explained that Cutler plays with Type I diabetes, what that means, and what it requires. After that, Madden got pissed.

“And then people are looking at him, they put a camera on him, and they say they don’t like his demeanor,” Madden said. “Demeanor hell!”

We don’t use exclamation points lightly. In this specific case, based on the volume with which the words were delivered, we probably should have used three or four of them after the word “hell”.

“Live a day in his shoes,” Madden said. “Type I diabetes is not a daytime thing. It’s not a week thing. It’s not a month thing. It’s a life thing. And it’s every day, and it’s every day for 24 hours.”

Madden, whose grandson suffers from Type I diabetes, said that Cutler is a role model to kids with the disease, and that Cutler necessarily is tough because of what he does and the realities of the illness from which he suffers.

(He’s also tough because, as we’ve pointed out this week, he played the bulk of the 2007 season suffering from the disease and not knowing it, losing more than 30 pounds during the season.)

Schein then raised with Madden whether it would have been wise for the Bears to be more direct and candid about the fact that Cutler wasn’t returning to the game, and Madden explained that, if a players is out due to injury, the potential strategic gains from concealing the extent of injuries probably need to be set aside.

Through it all, Madden articulated his thoughts in the same plainspoken yet powerful way that made him beloved as a broadcaster. Nearly two years after his retirement, the comments were reminder of what the NFL is missing with Madden no longer serving as perhaps the greatest ambassador to the fans the league has ever had.

And hearing him talk about the game he loved makes us hopeful that he’ll stand up on behalf of the fans some point soon and insist that the league and the players work out their differences so that the game he loves may continue.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -demeanor/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/28/passionate-madden-defends-cutlers-toughness-demeanor/)

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap