PDA

View Full Version : QB rating 35 ... 0 TD/2 Pics ...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-23-2011, 11:41 PM
... and I wouldn't trade him for any other QB in the league ... maybe ever!

Sanchez had a QB rating of like 105, 2TD/0 pics.

Sanchez 6.3 ypa, Ben 5.8.

I guess stats aren't everything (MSM!)!!!

papillon
01-23-2011, 11:44 PM

Three first downs running including a TD and two 3rd down conversions passing to seal the game, one to Heath and one to Antonio. Playing with the backup center for almost the entire game as well, good luck to any other quarterback under the same set of circumstances.

Pappy

Steelgal
01-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Agreed!!!!!! We need the big play and somehow Ben finds a way to make it. That rating doesn't take into account hsi running TD (I don't think) or the 3-4 first downs he ran for.

It may not look pretty, but he gets the W. Tell me who doesn't want that in their quarterback :tt1

ScoreKeeper
01-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Stats are for FF geeks. (cue Iron a s s hole)

Ben is a pure winner, plain and simple. On a bad wheel, he made play after play.

SidSmythe
01-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Stats are for football cards.

While they are cool and all ...

Who really remembers all the stats from the Steelers 6th Superbowl victory.
Or what did all those numbers do for Tom Brady in 2007???

Final Scores are easier to remember than passer ratings.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Passer rating is way overrated.

Ben made the plays when he needed to. He's a winner.

ScoreKeeper
01-23-2011, 11:49 PM

And Rich the Prick Eisen on NFLN and the rest of his cronies are lapping at Ben's nuts right now. Wow.

Steelgal
01-23-2011, 11:52 PM

And Rich the Prick Eisen on NFLN and the rest of his cronies are lapping at Ben's nuts right now. Wow.

Wonder what Faulk will say about the win????? Nothing good, I'm sure. He's probably home crying right now.............

SteelAbility
01-23-2011, 11:54 PM
The total effectiveness of Ben's game is revealed by the game tape, not by stats. His first pick came on a pass to Mendy on 4th and 1 that should have been caught, with a decent chance of getting 1st down, especially with the way Mendy was playing. His second pick came on a deep pass that amounted to a punt for a touchback.

In other words his mistakes were situationally very low-cost.

His good plays were situationally HUGE. The pass to Miller, HUGE. The pass to Brown, HUGE. The running 1st downs, each big but collectively HUGE. That's what Ben brings. Even when he plays below par he's still effective and that's why he's 10-2 in the playoffs for his career.

On another note, in a different post someone pointed out that three-SB QBs have all made the HOF regardless of SB wins. This win basically put Ben into the HOF. Now the only question that remains is 1st ballot. A win here in SB45 and he's a lock for 1st ballot, IMO.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-23-2011, 11:55 PM

Wonder what Faulk will say about the win????? Nothing good, I'm sure. He's probably home crying right now.............

I hope so.

That's why I don't care that so many of these media people dislike and discount the Steelers. It makes it all the sweeter when we win.

Irongut
01-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Ben played better than his stats. He managed the game well. That's what a QB is suppossed to do.

He'll need to be better throwing it in the SB though.

Ghost
01-23-2011, 11:57 PM
This is how you'll know if you are talking to someone who watches and understands the game or if they can only regurgitate stats if they try to take away any of the greatness Ben showed tonight. Hell, he'd get on of my game balls he was so important to the game.

The Steelers ALWAYS have a shot to win with him back there.

Here comes #7 (dual meaning!)

grotonsteel
01-23-2011, 11:59 PM
He'll need to be better throwing it in the SB though.

I agree. Aaron Rodgers will put some points on the board.Rodgers love the play inside dome.

Steelers need a lot of those 9 min drive for TD to keep Rodgers off field.

Crash
01-24-2011, 12:02 AM
We tried to turtle the game away in the second half.

The talking heads can't diss Ben, Rodgers wasn't much better.

papillon
01-24-2011, 12:04 AM
The total effectiveness of Ben's game is revealed by the game tape, not by stats. His first pick came on a pass to Mendy on 4th and 1 that should have been caught, with a decent chance of getting 1st down, especially with the way Mendy was playing. His second pick came on a deep pass that amounted to a punt for a touchback.

In other words his mistakes were situationally very low-cost.

His good plays were situationally HUGE. The pass to Miller, HUGE. The pass to Brown, HUGE. The running 1st downs, each big but collectively HUGE. That's what Ben brings. Even when he plays below par he's still effective and that's why he's 10-2 in the playoffs for his career.

On another note, in a different post someone pointed out that three-SB QBs have all made the HOF regardless of SB wins. This win basically put Ben into the HOF. Now the only question that remains is 1st ballot. A win here in SB45 and he's a lock for 1st ballot, IMO.

This is logic in excess right here. The value of the good plays compared against the value of the bad plays. The good plays had a positive impact on the Steeler chances to win the game. The bad plays didn't have as big a negative impact on the game.

Pappy

Crash
01-24-2011, 12:13 AM
That 4th down screen that was picked was a bullet. But what killed it was the Jets chucked Mendenhall as he went out for his route. Totally knocked him off balance.

WE NEVER DO THAT. LT, Ray Rice, etc. Just let them run free.

Steeler Shades
01-24-2011, 12:14 AM
His second pick came on a deep pass that amounted to a punt for a touchback.
Was it a 4th down pass? If not it didn't "amount" to a punt.
How many of Ben's passes were dropped by the Jets?
Stats surely don't tell the whole story of Ben's contribution to today's win...but Ben IMHO didn't have a great passing game and could have easily ended up with 4+ picks. 8)

SteelAbility
01-24-2011, 12:20 AM
His second pick came on a deep pass that amounted to a punt for a touchback.
Was it a 4th down pass? If not it didn't "amount" to a punt.
How many of Ben's passes were dropped by the Jets?
Stats surely don't tell the whole story of Ben's contribution to today's win...but Ben IMHO didn't have a great passing game and could have easily ended up with 4+ picks. 8)

It came on a 2nd or 3rd down, I believe. Great shake-n-bake to get to the outside. Poor pass. But not disastrous.

On the long pass to Brown in the Ravens game, Ben indicated there was some strategy to it. Completion. Great! INT amounts to a deep punt, especially in light of the pass going to the sidelines. Nice to know Ben is making decisions out there with strategy in mind.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-24-2011, 12:33 AM
I think Ben got a little big for his britches this game ... paid the price ... and learned a lesson that will serve him well against GB.

I don't remember if I heard this on TV or the radio, but after his 2nd pic apparently BA took Ben aside and said don't just chuck it up, run it instead.

Oh, btw, 10-2 in the playoffs. Not too shabby, eh, Marcia* and Peyton?

Crash
01-24-2011, 12:35 AM
That's Ben though, thats just the way he is.

You take the good with the bad. But I thought he was going to run once he made that 360.

papillon
01-24-2011, 12:44 AM

You take the good with the bad. But I thought he was going to run once he made that 360.

The sooner fans realize the above statement is true, Steeler football will be infinitely more enjoyable for them. About Ben's third year I realized he is different, very different than any other quarterback to play the game and that I needed to accept the bad plays, because the good was going to outnumber the bad 10 fold.

He'll make boneheaded plays (he had a few in this game), but he'll also make plays to win games and not just any game, playoff games. I love it and would have it no other way. I will miss the big guy when he retires someday. Watching Steeler football has never been so much fun and I've been around for all 7 Super Bowl appearances going on my 8th. :lol:

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
01-24-2011, 12:46 AM
Ben's passer rating was 35.5, I'll bet it has been a long time since he had a rating that low...but when you need a QB to make a clutch play on 3rd and 6 to seal the win, who would you rather have than Ben?

Exactly. :tt2

Crash
01-24-2011, 12:48 AM
Ben just secured his Canton bust.

10-2 in the playoffs and 2 rings. Three AFC titles.

Every eligible QB who has started three SBs, is in.

Brady will make it, Warner probably will (although I think he shouldn't), so Ben's in too.

papillon
01-24-2011, 12:54 AM

Brady will make it, Warner probably will (although I think he shouldn't), so Ben's in too.

Too much business left for Ben to accomplish in his career to think about Canton. Ben makes it fun to watch and for that I thank him. Two and half hours after the game and I'm still on an adrenaline high and can't go to bed, thanks to Ben...d@mnit, I have to work tomorrow!

Pappy

TallyStiller
01-24-2011, 12:59 AM

Too much business left for Ben to accomplish in his career to think about Canton. Ben makes it fun to watch and for that I thank him. Two and half hours after the game and I'm still on an adrenaline high and can't go to bed, thanks to Ben...d@mnit, I have to work tomorr

Pappy

:Agree

Crash
01-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Wired. Not sleeping here either.

hawaiiansteel
01-24-2011, 02:47 AM
How Steelers survived a bad QB day

JAN 23

As was the case with the NFC Championship, the winning quarterback in the AFC title game didnít have one of his better statistical efforts. But, as has been the case with Ben Roethlisberger previously, the Pittsburgh Steelers found a way to win anyway, beating the New York Jets, 24-19.

The Steelers advanced to their eighth Super Bowl, matching the Dallas Cowboys for most appearances in NFL history.

No. 1 Defense vs No. 2 Defense
By Yardage (Super Bowl History)

This will be the fourth Super Bowl in which the team that gave up the fewest points in pro football's regular season (Steelers) faces the team that gave up the second-fewest points (Packers).

SB Teams Winner

XLV Steelers vs Packers ?
XVII Redskins vs Dolphins Redskins
VIII Dolphins vs Vikings Dolphins
IV Vikings vs Chiefs Chiefs

Roethlisberger finished with a passer rating of 35.5, the second-lowest in his postseason career. Yet, heís won his three worst games in terms of passer rating, beating the Jets twice and the Seahawks, when he posted a 22.6 in Super Bowl XL.

Roethlisberger is 10-2 career in postseason starts. His .833 win percentage ranks second all-time, behind only Bart Starr, who went 9-1.

This was the second time since the NFL-AFL merger in 1970 that the winning teams in each conference championship game did not throw a touchdown pass. The only other previous occurrence was in 1980 (both the Raiders and Eagles won without throwing one).

Mendenhall

Roethlisberger didnít need to throw one, partly because running back Rashard Mendenhall was so good. Mendenhall recorded the 15th 100-yard rushing game in Steelers history and joined Franco Harris, Merril Hoge and Willie Parker as Steelers who had 120 rushing yards and a touchdown in a postseason game.

Mendenhall exploited the right side of the Jets defense. He averaged 6.5 yards per carry and got four first downs on his 13 rushes to the right side, against a Jets defense that allowed 3.9 yards per run to the right during the regular season.

The Steelers also won on the strength of a defense that completely shut the Jets down in the first half. Among the standouts was LaMarr Woodley, who got his 10th career postseason sack. It took Woodley only six games to get 10 sacks, the fewest games needed to reach that plateau since sacks became official in 1982.

Roethlisberger did well with one thing. Our video review showed that he pump-faked on five plays against the Jets. The Steelers averaged 9.2 yards on those five plays and converted first downs four times. Only two of the five plays were pass attempts (2-for-2, 21 yards) as Roethlisberger pump-faked to extend the play and scrambled twice for first downs (a run of 12 yards on 3rd-and-12, and a five-yard run on 3rd-and-4).

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is the second coach in NFL history to reach the Super Bowl twice in his first four seasons as head coach. Joe Gibbs is the other (he took the Redskins to Super Bowl XVII in second season and Super Bowl XVIII in his third season). Tomlin could become first coach to win two Super Bowls in his first four seasons (Gibbs and the Redskins lost Super Bowl XVIII).

This was the third time since the NFL-AFL merger that both conference championship games were decided by seven points or fewer. The other two were in 1987 (Redskins won by seven, Broncos won by five) and 2001 (Patriots won by seven, Rams won by five).

For the Jets, as it always is, itís a case of wait Ďtil next year. The Jets are 0-4 in AFC Championship Games, which according to the Elias Sports Bureau, is the worst record of any team in conference championship play, surpassing the 0-3 Cleveland Browns. The Jets and Browns are the last two AFC teams to lose consecutive conference championships.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/ ... bad-qb-day (http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/16185/how-steelers-survived-a-bad-qb-day)

Mel Blount's G
01-24-2011, 03:04 AM

The sooner fans realize the above statement is true, Steeler football will be infinitely more enjoyable for them. About Ben's third year I realized he is different, very different than any other quarterback to play the game and that I needed to accept the bad plays, because the good was going to outnumber the bad 10 fold.

He'll make boneheaded plays (he had a few in this game), but he'll also make plays to win games and not just any game, playoff games. I love it and would have it no other way. I will miss the big guy when he retires someday. Watching Steeler football has never been so much fun and I've been around for all 7 Super Bowl appearances going on my 8th. :lol:

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Pappy
Yes. I had to learn acceptance too. We don't run those 3-step drop and throw plays. Ever, it seems. Our pass plays are almost always sand lot football. "You go here. You go here. And you go here. I'll hit whoever's open." There has never been a QB who can allude pass rushers like Ben. It' absolutely uncanny. His pocket awareness is supernatural. There's no one even to compare it to imo. He slips and slides, he jukes and jives, he scoots and scampers, he pump fakes and escapes, he avoid hits and sheds defenders. He runs, he throws, he blocks, he tackles, he punts, he catches (hasn't he made a catch?). The man is of course, a Football Player. But I propose he is a Football Artist who's canvas is the gridiron and who's paintbrush is the pigskin. I hope he paints his masterpiece in two weeks :tt2 :Steel :tt1

The Sodfather
01-24-2011, 08:16 AM
He hit two passes when he had to.

Iron Shiek
01-24-2011, 08:28 AM
That's awesome because NFL Radio led with this topic this morning. Bob Papa and Ross Tucker were talking about Ben and they were both applauding what a masterful effort he had. And they said the same thing about you will know if someone watched this game or not based on if they try to throw stats in your face and say he played bad.

It was funny because they said there is probably some 5 or 6 year old right now that in 20 years will be in Sports Radio and the topic of Ben being an all time great will come up and this guy will be quoting his numbers in this championship and the first super bowl and say how bad he is. Ross Tucker said that he's hoping he's still in the business in 20 years so he can tell the kid to shut up and go watch the game because he was magnificent and one of the main reasons they won.

:tt2

Wolfhound45
01-24-2011, 08:40 AM
I have tremendous respect for Mark Sanchez. He is a superb young QB with a bright future in the NFL. No getting around it.

Having said that, only one "statistic" counts.

Roethlisberger 2-0

Sanchez 2-1

Period.

And have no doubt about it. Only one of them (right now) could have won that game with two clutch throws. And he is going to Dallas.

frankthetank1
01-24-2011, 09:35 AM
i was pretty shocked when the steeler offense was able to pick up first downs at the end of the game and didnt turn it over to the D to close the deal. the game reminded me a lot of the 2005 SB. ben's stats were not pretty but he picked up first downs when they were needed most. he also had a rushing TD in both games. the int that went off of mendy's hands was the same result as an incompletion since it was 4th down.

Steelgal
01-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Listening to Mile and mike this morning. Lots of props to Ben on all stations this morning. Everyone is saying if you just looked at the stats, then you'd think Ben had a bad game. But when you analyze his performance, he's clutch and makes the plays when needed. It's not pretty, but it doesn't have to be.

Really surprised at the reaction today and pleasantly so :Boobs

SteelTorch
01-24-2011, 01:38 PM

Ben CLEARLY didn't play his best game last night. However, I can't be too hard on him since he was getting no help from his receivers at all. Nobody was getting open all night long, and there were a couple drops on top of it.

Iron Shiek
01-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Listening to Mile and mike this morning. Lots of props to Ben on all stations this morning. Everyone is saying if you just looked at the stats, then you'd think Ben had a bad game. But when you analyze his performance, he's clutch and makes the plays when needed. It's not pretty, but it doesn't have to be.

Really surprised at the reaction today and pleasantly so :Boobs

Yup everyone is praising Ben today (except Marshall Faulk from what I understand from that thread). Phil Simms is on Movin The Chains on Sirius and he is lauding him with praise.

I think its safe to say he's moved up a slight notch in talking heads' lists. When we win #7, I think he will be even more applauded.