PDA

View Full Version : Big Half for Mendenhall

Shawn
01-23-2011, 08:40 PM
I don't think I will ever understand why Mendenhall gets criticism. He is running behind a rag tag OL and still getting it done. He is showing burst, quickness, vision and power. I believe he is the most complete back we have ever had in the Burgh.

SteelAbility
01-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Well, this 1st half must be a fluke. I mean, according to a recent post Mendenhall has regressed. :roll:

:lol:

Shawn
01-23-2011, 11:04 PM
27 carries for 121 yards and a TD. 4.5 ypc average. This behind one of the worst OL's in the NFL. That doesn't look like regression to me.

hawaiiansteel
01-24-2011, 03:11 AM
Mendenhall shows what he can do

By Kevin Gorman, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, January 24, 2011

Rashard Mendenhall stood on a makeshift stage at Heinz Field with Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier, the star running backs for the 1970s Super Bowl Steelers, and wondered how he got there.

"It means a lot that they asked me to come up there," Mendenhall said. "I'm looking around like, 'Why isn't Troy or Hines or somebody up here?' "

After being ripped for running laterally, for relying too heavily upon a spin move and for not being a "big-time back," Mendenhall upstaged the New York Jets in the biggest game of his NFL career. He accounted for 153 yards of total offense -- including 95 rushing and 32 receiving in the first half -- to help the Steelers to a 24-19 victory Sunday in the AFC Championship Game.

"It's one game away from the Super Bowl; who wouldn't be running the way he did?" right guard Ramon Foster said. "He did a phenomenal job of running and holding onto the ball. He was very powerful and well-deserving of the game he had."

When the Steelers needed him most, Mendenhall used all of his perceived weaknesses to his advantage. Just as easily he reversed field, the running back might have done the same to his reputation by rushing for 121 yards on 27 carries and catching two passes for 32 yards.

Mendenhall's first-half play in the home finale was almost as memorable as his overtime heroics in the season opener, when he ripped off a 50-yard touchdown run to clinch an overtime victory against Atlanta.

After Mendenhall finished with 46 rushing yards on 20 carries and lost a fumble against Baltimore in the AFC divisional playoffs last week, Sports Illustrated's Peter King ripped Mendenhall, chastising him for running laterally by saying, "Get upfield, man." King added: "I think Rashard Mendenhall, two touchdowns and all Saturday, is just not a big-time back."

"I don't get too much into that," Mendenhall said. "People are going to say good things and bad things about you. I try to keep it as normal and steady as possible."

Mendenhall was that and more in the first half, outshining Jets backs LaDainian Tomlinson and Shonn Greene, who combined for 5 yards on four carries and didn't catch a pass.

Mendenhall gained 28 yards on eight carries on the Steelers' first drive, bouncing outside for 2 yards to pick up a first down and then cutting inside on the next play for an 8-yard gain. He gave the Steelers a 7-0 lead by slipping through the arms of linebacker Bart Scott to score on a 1-yard run at 5:54 of the first quarter.

Mendenhall continued breaking tackles, turning a swing pass into an 18-yard gain that included the 5-foot-10, 225-pound running back bowling over safety Eric Smith, and shedding middle linebacker David Harris on a 35-yard run.

Mendenhall helped set up another scoring play with a 14-yard catch to the Jets' 2-yard line, and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger ran for a touchdown on the next play for a 17-0 lead with two minutes left in the first half.

"He did his thing," center Maurkice Pouncey said. "He went out there and handled it for us. We really needed that. It was positive for us."

Read more: Mendenhall shows what he can do - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1BvjnKRlI

eniparadoxgma
01-24-2011, 04:48 AM
Our running attack the first half was as impressive as I've seen it in a loooong time. Redman also looked good, but Mendy was a monster.

What I'm curious about is what happened to our running attack the second half in comparison to the first...

Did the Jets coaching staff make the adjustments necessary to counter it? Did the Jets D turn it up a notch? Did our OL fall off the second half? Were our RBs to blame? None/some of all the above?

What do you guys think accounts for the discrepancy in our running attack between the two halves?

SidSmythe
01-24-2011, 07:25 AM
I still don't think Mendy has hit his full potential.
I think the lack of dominant run blocking up front hasn't helped him consistantly run the ball like a pure professional. He still tries the things that he could do in college.

ie. If a lane doesn't fully develop, instead of taking 3 yards, he'll try to make something happen. He's talented enough to do things like that, but often he falls short.

Redman will take what you give him and he has the power and balance to gain a few extra yards after contact. Mendenhall can do this but often he'll try the alternate route.

Mendy can still take it up a notch and when he does, watch out.

feltdizz
01-24-2011, 09:42 AM
I don't think I will ever understand why Mendenhall gets criticism. He is running behind a rag tag OL and still getting it done. He is showing burst, quickness, vision and power. I believe he is the most complete back we have ever had in the Burgh.

IF you can honestly say he has run like that all year then OK... I think he played up to his potential last game. There are times when he doesn't hit the hole and finish runs like he did yesterday.

When Mendenhall didn't run Cromartie over..... that was shades of the regression I think people were talking about. He had an amazing game but that GL fall reminded me of what I don't want to see Mendenhall doing. Don't dance or spin when you are up against a CB who was already going into the fetal position.

He played awesome though...

feltdizz
01-24-2011, 09:43 AM
I still don't think Mendy has hit his full potential.
I think the lack of dominant run blocking up front hasn't helped him consistantly run the ball like a pure professional. He still tries the things that he could do in college.

ie. If a lane doesn't fully develop, instead of taking 3 yards, he'll try to make something happen. He's talented enough to do things like that, but often he falls short.

Redman will take what you give him and he has the power and balance to gain a few extra yards after contact. Mendenhall can do this but often he'll try the alternate route.

Mendy can still take it up a notch and when he does, watch out.

:tt2 this right here.... What we saw in the first half was what fans want to see all year. He ran like his azz was on fire.

I would have like to see Redman get more touches too... that combo is a monster.

BURGH86STEEL
01-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Our running attack the first half was as impressive as I've seen it in a loooong time. Redman also looked good, but Mendy was a monster.

What I'm curious about is what happened to our running attack the second half in comparison to the first...

Did the Jets coaching staff make the adjustments necessary to counter it? Did the Jets D turn it up a notch? Did our OL fall off the second half? Were our RBs to blame? None/some of all the above?

What do you guys think accounts for the discrepancy in our running attack between the two halves?

The Jets did a better job executing defensively.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-24-2011, 12:04 PM

Legursky said the Jets were "mixing it up" more in the second half, and insinuated that he wasn't making the right line calls. In other words, it really hurt to lose Pouncey.

grotonsteel
01-24-2011, 12:18 PM

Legursky said the Jets were "mixing it up" more in the second half, and insinuated that he wasn't making the right line calls. In other words, it really hurt to lose Pouncey.

Pouncey not playing hurt Steelers in 2nd half. He is the best O-lineman out there for Steelers.

steelsnis
01-24-2011, 12:23 PM
When Mendenhall didn't run Cromartie over..... that was shades of the regression I think people were talking about.

Dizz... I love ya but you're crazy! The guy slipped and fell before he got to Cromartie! I guarantee he was thinking about smashing through Cromartie when he went down. Just like he smashed through Eric Smith earlier in the game after a big run.

Oviedo
01-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Wasn't it just last week that Mendenhall was deemed "soft" by the HS football heroes? maybe someone should ask the Jets how soft he is?????

Mendy is the complete package and I'm glad he is our starting RB. Kudos to Redman too who readers know I was never high on but I am a convert. He is a decent role player. Get Dwyer in the mix and Moore out and we have a great backfield.

flippy
01-24-2011, 12:34 PM
His best half to date.

But he still stops in holes and misses on so many yards.

Is he big, fast, powerful, elusive, etc? yes

He has all the natural talent in the world. But he's still got some work to do to reach his potential.

sentinel33
01-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Rashard is only 23 years old and he doesnt turn 24 until june. he isnt even in his prime yet. once we add another quality offensive lineman or two, its big trouble for the rest of the league. i believe his best years are ahead of him and they have pro-bowls written all over them.

bring it home Rashard!

Steelers. ALL THE WAY

eniparadoxgma
01-24-2011, 06:15 PM

Pouncey not playing hurt Steelers in 2nd half. He is the best O-lineman out there for Steelers.

Thanks for the insight guys. I thought Pouncey being out played a role but I wasn't sure how much of one.

skyhawk
01-24-2011, 06:39 PM
The thing that struck me the most was his physical condtioning. He got stronger and stronger as the first half went along.

The OLine is really playing well. I no longer think they are one of the worst in the league. Great running game, and Ben has had time to throw the past 3-4 games. Kudos.

feltdizz
01-24-2011, 08:24 PM
The thing that struck me the most was his physical condtioning. He got stronger and stronger as the first half went along.

The OLine is really playing well. I no longer think they are one of the worst in the league. Great running game, and Ben has had time to throw the past 3-4 games. Kudos.

I think we go a little over board with the OL because we get to see all the highlights of Brady and other QB's sitting back their all day and think their OL is HOF.

Once the playoffs start I think we get a better look at how "good" some of these OL's really are and usually.. they are no better than what we have.

Can anyone seriously admit Mendenhall ran like that all season long? He looked possessed.. like Tomlin gave him a challenge. I love the passes in the flat to Mendenhall too, he should have 5 passes a game at a minimum.

My frustration is still the lack of touches by Redman... 4 rushes for 27 yards. I think he would have been a nice change of pace in the second half due to his north south style.

flippy
01-25-2011, 12:48 AM
He's definitely stopped spinning.

And the kid is taking the criticism he's gotten to heart. I like his attitude even better than his game at this point. He wants to get better and says so.

proudpittsburgher
01-25-2011, 09:22 AM

Pouncey left after the first series, and Mendy piled up quite a few yards with Legursky in at center. Mendy had 26 yards on that first series but close to 85 at the half, so it wasn't all Pouncey. Although I'll condede, I would love to have had Pouncey in for the rest of the game, and I think it would have been a more comfortable outcome.

Either way, the job that Doug Legursky has done this year, both filling in on just about every position on the o-line and lead blocking for Mendy on goal line situations, has been unsung to say the least. And I can't remember ever thinking that line play when he came in to fill in for an injurred player took that much of a dip.

hawaiiansteel
01-30-2011, 03:06 AM
Steelers' Mendenhall stepping up in status

Sunday, January 30, 2011
By Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201101/dianasteelers012311_02_330.jpg

Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall had 167 yards rushing in the playoffs.

Steelers tailback Rashard Mendenhall has dazzled his teammates this season with his nifty moves. Fast and powerful, he runs hard inside and outside.

"Rashard's explosive," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "He can hit the home run ball. He has great footwork. I thought Jerome [Bettis] had great feet for his size. But I look at some of the cuts that Mendenhall's been making, and I say, 'Wow, this guy can be really special.' "

Mendenhall, 5 feet 10 and 225 pounds, is the third-leading rusher in the playoffs with 167 yards on 47 carries. He also has rushed for three postseason touchdowns entering the Super Bowl against the Green Bay Packers next Sunday at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

"I think the light finally came on for him," Ward said. "It usually takes about three or four years for that to happen, and I think he's starting to realize that he could be a great asset in this league, a great superstar in this league.

"I look for him to have another big game."

Mendenhall had 95 of his game-high 121 yards and a touchdown in the first half of the Steelers' 24-19 victory Jan. 23 against the New York Jets in the AFC championship game at Heinz Field. He also had two catches for 32 yards, giving him three for 45 yards in the playoffs.

"I guess you could say I am pretty versatile," Mendenhall said. "I do whatever is necessary at the time, whether it's making somebody miss a tackle, running through somebody or outrunning somebody. I know I have to be able to do what the situation calls for."

After the victory against the Jets, Mendenhall stood on a makeshift stage at Heinz Field with Pro Football Hall of Fame members Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier, who each earned four Super Bowl rings while playing together in the backfield in the Steelers' glory days of the 1970s.

"It means a lot when you hear the names of guys like Franco, Jerome, Rocky Bleier and Willie Parker," Mendenhall said. "It's such a great tradition to be part of.

"But I think there's a lot more work I have to do to be mentioned in the same breath with those guys."

Although Mendenhall scored two rushing touchdowns in a 31-24 victory against the Baltimore Ravens in an AFC divisional playoff game, he was held to just 46 yards rushing on 20 carries and lost a fumble.

Afterward, Peter King of Sports Illustrated criticized Mendenhall's play.

"[He] is just not a big-time back," King wrote.

Mendenhall shrugged off King's criticism.

"I don't get too much into that," he said. "People are going to say good things and bad things about you. I try to keep it as normal and steady as possible."

Mendenhall, a first-round draft pick from Illinois in 2008, ranked fifth in the AFC and seventh in the NFL in rushing with a career-high 1,273 yards in the 2010 regular season.

He also ran for a career-high 13 rushing touchdowns -- the most since Willie Parker had 13 in 2006 -- and he led the Steelers in scoring with 78 points.

Mendenhall, who has four 100-yard rushing games this season, including the playoffs, was the first running back to lead the team in scoring in the regular season since Harris scored 11 touchdowns in 1977. (Harris also holds the team record with 14 rushing touchdowns in a season, set in 1976).

"I think Rashard's had a great season," said offensive tackle Max Starks, who is on injured reserve with a neck injury. "The way he's been running has been consistent. And he has great patience and power and speed."

Mendenhall, who played in just four games as a rookie in 2008 after suffering a season-ending shoulder injury, has put together back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons. He ran for 1,108 yards on 242 carries and seven touchdowns in '09, his second NFL season.

"I think I've grown a lot as a player," Mendenhall said. "For me, personally, it won't stop. I will continue to keep working. I feel like I can get more experience with every year, every season.

"To me, I just want to continue to grow and improve until I'm done playing."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11030/1121332-66.stm#ixzz1CUn3rdVL

NorthCoast
01-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Well, this 1st half must be a fluke. I mean, according to a recent post Mendenhall has regressed. :roll:

That would have been my post several weeks ago.

It is clear the last two games his play has changed. I think the difference has been his runs approaching the line of scrimmage have been much more decisive. He is picking a hole and hitting it. Some of us were frustrated in games where he could not decide what he wanted to do. Is the blocking in front of him better? Perhaps. But I also see Johnson being used more frequently as a FB. I think Mendy does much better with a FB in front of him. I wish there was a way to track this without going back and watching a lot of tapes.

feltdizz
01-31-2011, 10:05 AM

That would have been my post several weeks ago.

It is clear the last two games his play has changed. I think the difference has been his runs approaching the line of scrimmage have been much more decisive. He is picking a hole and hitting it. Some of us were frustrated in games where he could not decide what he wanted to do. Is the blocking in front of him better? Perhaps. But I also see Johnson being used more frequently as a FB. I think Mendy does much better with a FB in front of him. I wish there was a way to track this without going back and watching a lot of tapes.

Most people understand that "regressed" implies not playing up to potential or not playing as well as in previous games. :wink:

If Mendenhall ran like he did in the Jets game all year he would probably have about 400 to 600 more yards. He was insane.

grotonsteel
01-31-2011, 11:20 AM
I would like Mendy to take Clay Matthews for a piggy ride...It would be epic...

This talk of Clay Matthews is better than James Harrison is ridiculous.