View Full Version : ESPN: Palmer Wants Trade, Willing To Retire

Djfan
01-23-2011, 04:41 PM
http://www.wlwt.com/r/26588746/detail.html

ESPN: Palmer Wants Trade, Willing To Retire
Bengals QB Under Contract Through 2014

POSTED: 2:51 pm EST January 23, 2011
UPDATED: 3:14 pm EST January 23, 2011

CINCINNATI -- A new report by ESPN.com claims that Bengals' quarterback Carson Palmer wants to leave the team.

ESPN.com said "sources familiar with Palmer" claim that he wants to get traded or will threaten to quit. The report said Palmer is "financially secure" and willing to retire if he has to.

Palmer is under contract with the team through the 2014 season. The team went 4-12 during the 2010 season.

He was the No. 1 overall pick by the Bengals in 2003. Palmer has suffered injuries in the past.

The team has not commented on the story.

On the social media website Twitter.com, Bengals star Chad Ochocinco said, "Carson Palmer demands a trade? Last person demanded a trade in Cincy was crucified by the media n had to win the fans back, how will this go?"

I love the offseason in cincy!!

hawaiiansteel
01-23-2011, 04:58 PM
can't say I blame Carson, it can't be fun playing for the Bungholes... :bungalssuck

http://susanshan.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Carson-Palmer-Bloody-Nose.jpg

LordVile
01-23-2011, 05:09 PM
I love it. can't wait for T.O. to abandon ship.. :loser :bungalssuck :tt2 :Beer

Djfan
01-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Also, the rumor is that Ocho Ego is not resigned. Looks like a new batch of losers over in Cincy next year!

AzStillers1989
01-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Jeeeeeze....

Steelhere10
01-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Good luck Palmer, who really wants a washed up qb?

Oviedo
01-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Palmer needs to escape the looney bin that are the Bumgals. Marvin Lewis confirmed he was insane when he stayed.

focosteeler
01-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Good luck Palmer, who really wants a washed up qb?

titans? palmer usc...fisher usc

PSU_dropout43
01-23-2011, 08:48 PM
titans? palmer usc...fisher usc
good call. ...but he wants to go out west.

TallyStiller
01-23-2011, 11:09 PM
Join his former college coach out in Seattle so they can jettison Matt Hasselcrack?

Djfan
01-24-2011, 01:11 PM
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-turn-down-Palmer-trade-request-No-Cincy-Chilly/0c87393e-06d0-43aa-9dbc-d9c93a0f3418?module=HP_headlines2col

Bengals turn down Palmer trade request; No Cincy Chilly

By GEOFF HOBSON

MOBILE, Ala. _ Bengals president Mike Brown confirmed Monday that quarterback Carson Palmer met with him last week and requested a trade and that he turned him down.

"Carson is central to what we do. We have no plans to trade him," Brown said here at the Senior Bowl. "We are not taking offers."

Brown was surprised to hear that Palmer would contemplate retirement if not traded and he indicated he thought that was "impractical," while reiterating his admiration for Palmer

He said Palmer was not specifc about his complaints, but "we'll reach out to him...We'll see whether we can get it fit back together again in the future."

"He's good people," Brown said. "He made no demands. He is the way he is. He didn't finger anyone or anything."

Brown also said former Vikings head coach Brad Childress, thought to be a candidate for offensive coodinator, won't be coming to the Bengals. He didn't say if there were other candidates.

The waters muddy further!

Sugar
01-24-2011, 01:16 PM
I would find it fitting if Carson just pulled a Barry Sanders and retired. When you finally realize you are in a dysfunctional relationship, it's important to just get out even when the costs are high. Why sacrifice your body for a team that has no real intention of doing what it takes to win?

BTW- I can't believe I used Carson and Barry Sanders in the same sentence. Forgive me Barry!!!

pfelix73
01-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Arizona?

:tt1

Sugar
01-24-2011, 01:33 PM
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-turn-down-Palmer-trade-request-No-Cincy-Chilly/0c87393e-06d0-43aa-9dbc-d9c93a0f3418?module=HP_headlines2col

Bengals turn down Palmer trade request; No Cincy Chilly

By GEOFF HOBSON

MOBILE, Ala. _ Bengals president Mike Brown confirmed Monday that quarterback Carson Palmer met with him last week and requested a trade and that he turned him down.

"Carson is central to what we do. We have no plans to trade him," Brown said here at the Senior Bowl. "We are not taking offers."

Brown was surprised to hear that Palmer would contemplate retirement if not traded and he indicated he thought that was "impractical," while reiterating his admiration for Palmer

He said Palmer was not specifc about his complaints, but "we'll reach out to him...We'll see whether we can get it fit back together again in the future."

"He's good people," Brown said. "He made no demands. He is the way he is. He didn't finger anyone or anything."

Brown also said former Vikings head coach Brad Childress, thought to be a candidate for offensive coodinator, won't be coming to the Bengals. He didn't say if there were other candidates.

The waters muddy further!

Carson isn't so central if he's not there, Mike. Can you get it through your thick head that these guys don't want to play for you or Marvin Lewis anymore?? You had a chance to step up with fresh leadership and you stayed with the status quo. :loser

Ghost
01-24-2011, 01:53 PM
While I do believe Palmer could get a second shot on another team away from the loser-land that is Cincy (there are a lot of bad QBs out there), the truth is he's been injured and has not produced well over the last couple of season. No team (in their right mind) is dolling out high draft picks or wants to take on his salary.

The bengals should call his bluff. Force him to retire if he doesn't want to play for them. He's under contract and they have every right to do what they believe is good for the organization.

feltdizz
01-24-2011, 02:13 PM
file those papers...

I wonder if he will get the Ocho treatment?

Doyle37
01-24-2011, 02:59 PM
What's the deal with retirement ?? Is he a free agent after a year of retirement ???

I doubt Cincy keeps his rights for the length of the contract if they are not paying it.

Sugar
01-24-2011, 03:12 PM
The bengals should call his bluff. Force him to retire if he doesn't want to play for them. He's under contract and they have every right to do what they believe is good for the organization.

As a Steelers fan, sure, call his bluff. But if the guy truly doesn't want to play there anymore, what do you gain by forcing him to stay? If any Steeler came out in the press demanding to be released, we'd say "see ya" and move on. If you don't want to play here, then don't.

Carson isn't some diva like 85, who just wants to make headlines. I think he's gone along hoping that things would change, but nothing does. The owner doesn't invest in their facilities or their scouting department. The coach won't make needed changes to the staff.

I can't blame him. I'd want out of there too!

If they feel it's best for

fezziwig
01-24-2011, 03:39 PM
I don't know if it was this site or another and it really doesn't matter but, I called it that palmer will want out after last season.

I think with seeing the Steelers and Ben the writing was on the wall for Palmer. " YOU CAN'T WIN WITH THE SUPPORTING CAST OF LOSERS AND HEAD CASES ON YOUR TEAM "

Palmer has enough talent to win but not with the circus act he is involved with. Maybe after seeing once Chad and T.O. were out that, there are actually other receivers that can catch the ball and without all the headaches and distractions.
maybe he is looking at his age and short time left in the league and he knows the window of opportunity is closing quickly.

Miami
Arizona
Minnesota
would probably offer him some big money.

Seeing Ben going to his third Super Bowl had to be a factor too to want out from the Bungles.

grotonsteel
01-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Bungholes say NO to Carson Palmer trade.

CINCINNATI (AP)óBengals owner Mike Brown says he wonít trade quarterback Carson Palmer(notes).

Brown said on Monday that Palmer met with him a little more than a week ago and asked to be traded. Brown told Palmer that he wouldnít consider it because the quarterback is central to the teamís plans. He plans to talk to Palmer again to try to smooth over their differences.

Brown made the comments in an interview with The Cincinnati Enquirer and the teamís Web site in Mobile, Ala., where the Bengals are coaching players for the Senior Bowl.

The Bengals have made no significant changes coming off a 4-12 season. Coach Marvin Lewis returned even though Brown said the front office didnít need to change. The Bengals have only two winning records in the last 20 years.

fezziwig
01-24-2011, 04:11 PM
I want to see no changes coming from the Bengals, they're doing just fine.....

skyhawk
01-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Join his former college coach out in Seattle so they can jettison Matt Hasselcrack?

Pete Carroll wants Hasselbeck back next year.

Chadman
01-24-2011, 11:52 PM
Trade him to the Bears for Cutler.... :D

AngryAsian
01-25-2011, 04:19 AM
Quitting... the foundation of Bengal Leadership.

Northern_Blitz
01-25-2011, 07:11 AM
I can't see any team making a big trade for a QB before knowing that there will be a season next year. No way a deal with Carson gets done before a CBA.

proudpittsburgher
01-25-2011, 09:13 AM
I just don't know how Mike Brown treats Carson Palmer this way. He had the potential to be a top flight QB and is, for the most part, a company guy. TO and Ocho, BTW, openly said on their reality show (heard this on Mike and Mike, don't watch it and never will) that they would love to play for the Jets. Who in the hell spurns their current team and openly professes a desire to play for another team. What kind of a teammate does that? I think we know the answer for that question. And Carson doesn't have anything left in the tank anyway, so it's a moot point. I just hate to see the squeeky wheel getting all of the grease, and Palmer gets drug through the mud by a crappy owner. Can you imagine if he takes a job as our backup to really give an FU to the Bungle organization? lol

fezziwig
01-25-2011, 03:56 PM
T.O. and Chad would love to play for the Jets so they can now be on Broadway. They want to take their act to the grease paint city. With Rex as the ring leader these two can truly be the asss clowns they have strived to be over the years.

Sugar
01-25-2011, 04:00 PM
I can't see any team making a big trade for a QB before knowing that there will be a season next year. No way a deal with Carson gets done before a CBA.

:Agree

This= $$

I can't blame the dude for wanting out. I also can't blame any owner for not wanting to take the chance at this point.

Steelerphile
01-25-2011, 04:24 PM
They needed to change head coaches. Marvin Lewis may be an OK head coach but I do believe his tenure of mediocrity had reached its limit and the organization needed some kind of change.
When he came back, I think the veterans like Palmer felt they were just going to experience more of the same losing. He's probably right.

I don't know the specifics of why his contract, but that organization seems like a penitentiary and the owner like a warden. Once in, you can't get out except in a bodybag. The inmates are rattling the cages.

Sugar
01-25-2011, 05:19 PM
They needed to change head coaches. Marvin Lewis may be an OK head coach but I do believe his tenure of mediocrity had reached its limit and the organization needed some kind of change.
When he came back, I think the veterans like Palmer felt they were just going to experience more of the same losing. He's probably right.

I don't know the specifics of why his contract, but that organization seems like a penitentiary and the owner like a warden. Once in, you can't get out except in a bodybag. The inmates are rattling the cages.

:Agree

My father in-law is a lifelong Bengals fan and I live in SW OH so I see this as well. Maybe Marvin wasn't bad enough to be fired, but he had lost the team and they needed a change. When that didn't happen, I think Carson just had to take it upon himself to go. It's a dysfunctional relationship and at some point, you just have to say "no."

~CRUNCH!!!~
01-25-2011, 06:30 PM
While I do believe Palmer could get a second shot on another team away from the loser-land that is Cincy (there are a lot of bad QBs out there), the truth is he's been injured and has not produced well over the last couple of season. No team (in their right mind) is dolling out high draft picks or wants to take on his salary.

You are right, they DO have a right...a responsibility even...to do what they believe is good for the organization.

But why start now?

When was the last time Mike Brown did what was good for anything other than his wallet?

I genuinely feel bad for Carson Palmer, who is a decent man and good quarterback. I think it is too bad that this epiphany didn't strike him at a time before he re-signed with the Bungles. I think that he realized during this past season, with a team that was as talented as it has ever been during his time there, that he will never win there consistently.

I would offer to pay back a portion of my signing bonus and restructure my current contract to make it more trade friendly, were I him.

SteelAbility
01-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Isn't Batch retiring soon? We could sure use another backup. :mrgreen:

Wolfhound45
01-25-2011, 11:54 PM
I want to see no changes coming from the Bengals, they're doing just fine.....

+1

Sugar
01-26-2011, 12:01 AM
Isn't Batch retiring soon? We could sure use another backup. :mrgreen:

Surely Carson would want to be reunited with his college roomie aside from meeting at the goal line every other year. :lol:

:bungalssuck

Irongut
01-26-2011, 12:46 AM
If Carson was made available, there would be a long list of suitors.

Crash
01-26-2011, 12:48 AM
Palmer's done. Look at his big games. It's all scrap time yards.

You blitz him and he can't move.

Irongut
01-26-2011, 12:50 AM
Palmer's done. Look at his big games. It's all scrap time yards.

You blitz him and he can't move.

Yeah, ok. We know, you cannot every say anything good about any QB unless his name is Ben. We get it.

Crash
01-26-2011, 01:06 AM
And for the record I hope the Bengals keep him. Best thing for us.