PDA

View Full Version : How concerned are you about Special Teams Play tomorrow?

Ghost
01-22-2011, 07:58 PM
I think the Steelers are going to win but the thought of a special teams gaffe has my stomach in a bit of a knot.

Very concerned about the kickoff - do you think they should stick with the squib kick every time?

Look to kick it out of bounds on every punt?

Not all that confident with Suisman if it's over 40 (even though his stats were good - 8 for 10, I believe). I hope it doesn't come down to that.

Why is it that every year this is such a concern? I don't understand why the Steelers can't get this under control. They've already fired a coach trying to take care of it.

Djfan
01-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Not too worried actually.

Irongut
01-22-2011, 08:00 PM
We should kill them tomorrow. The defense gives me no worries. They'll be there. The special teams giving up points or the offense not showing up or giving away points like last week are the only way we can lose imo.

Ghost
01-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Not too worried actually.

Really?

A 97 yeard KO return for the Jets last time. A punt that was returned by the Rats (I don't think there was a hold). The team squib kicking when it kicks off - admitting they are afraid of their coverage team (or lack thereof).

You think they've got the all squared away? Suisman installs game on the line confidence? It's great if he does.

AkronSteel
01-22-2011, 08:17 PM
This is really my only concern for tomorrow!!! If we give up points on ST then we could be in for a game. If we limit their opportunities in the return game then we will control the game, in my opinion. I feel pretty confident about all of our ST's except KO coverage!!!

AngryAsian
01-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Brad Smith hasn't been nursing a groin injury... he's their only real threat to score points and I think his effectiveness on ST as well as their ability to run their WILDCAT will not be a factor in the game. Something tells me that the Jets are spent and getting up for their last two opponents will show its toll tomorrow.

NJ-STEELER
01-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Brad Smith hasn't been nursing a groin injury... he's their only real threat to score points and I think his effectiveness on ST as well as their ability to run their WILDCAT will not be a factor in the game. Something tells me that the Jets are spent and getting up for their last two opponents will show its toll tomorrow.

cromartie has done a good job replacing him.

i hope worilds is in the line up

skyhawk
01-22-2011, 08:29 PM
This is my main concern for tomorrow.

Also concerned about the OLine play and Ben's performance. If STs and Ben play well, we will be ok.

AkronSteel
01-22-2011, 08:31 PM

cromartie has done a good job replacing him.

i hope worilds is in the line up

Worilds would be a big help tomorrow! He has performed well all year on ST....we missed him last week!!

Djfan
01-22-2011, 08:33 PM
I feel that the STs guys are on notice.

DukieBoy
01-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Perhaps we'll be seeing James and Ike on ST's tomorrow, maybe Timmons.

skyhawk
01-22-2011, 10:04 PM

Nice thought. But I doubt it.

papillon
01-22-2011, 10:08 PM
My concern is that they are going to cost the Steelers the football game. The coverage units have been below the line for the past 3 or 4 games. The kickoff return team while not great has been average at least and that's probably good for a Steeler special team unit.

The punt return team with El handling the punts near the goal line is probably okay, but all they're asked to do is put up the fair catch signal and secure the ball. Antonio Brown is coming into his own, but he's a rookie and I don't know if I want him returning any punts tomorrow. A dropped pass (if that should happen) can be overcome, but fumbling a punt can be infinitely more costly.

The coverage units really scare me. I'd like to see Suisham kick the low hard liners that bounce funny and don't give the receiving team a chance to set up a return. If the ball kicked in this fashion makes it to the 30 yard line the coverage will be there and there's a chance of a fumble. I like this tactic and wish the Steelers used more often (ie, every time tomorrow).

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
01-22-2011, 10:13 PM

Saw a report somewhere that Ike would be playing ST's. Don't know where that was.

I'm very concerned about ST's. A KO return for TD gave the Jest the margin of victory last game. Don't want to see that happen again.

skyhawk
01-22-2011, 10:40 PM

Saw a report somewhere that Ike would be playing ST's. Don't know where that was.

I'm very concerned about ST's. A KO return for TD gave the Jest the margin of victory last game. Don't want to see that happen again.

Ike has been playing STs already. I don't like it. If he gets hurt...we're screwed.

Jigawatts
01-23-2011, 12:18 AM
Other than Troy and Heath being out in week 15, special teams was the main reason why
we lost that game. If the kick off return wasn't a big enough kick in the head, how many
times did the Jets punter pin the Steelers to the goal line? :shock:

Of course I'll be holding my breath when we punt or kick off, but I'm not expecting
their punter to have an equally lucky day as he did a few weeks back.

RuthlessBurgher
01-23-2011, 02:33 AM

Also concerned about the OLine play and Ben's performance. If STs and Ben play well, we will be ok.

What would worry you about Ben's performance? He hasn't thrown an interception in the last 5 games, and only one in his last 8 games (throwing 10 TD's over that time frame and running for 2 more).

skyhawk
01-23-2011, 02:47 AM

What would worry you about Ben's performance? He hasn't thrown an interception in the last 5 games, and only one in his last 8 games (throwing 10 TD's over that time frame and running for 2 more).

I am not worried about Ben per se. But he has to play well in order for the Steelers to win IMO. I don't see any reason why he won't but it's very important to the teams success.

sd steel
01-23-2011, 03:28 AM
The reality is we will be on high alert, so watch for squib kicks like we did against Cribs. On the other end their punter has sucked the last couple of weeks. Watch for a splash play by us on special teams that no one will expect.

anger 82&95
01-23-2011, 10:37 AM
The Jets have their own ST concerns. Folk is not the most accurate kicker even during the best of conditions.

Oviedo
01-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Special Teams always scare me to death because they can lose a game in a few seconds.

I also don't know if I want Suisham kicking the game winning FG. Just too much of an unknown.